Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 257865 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1995 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »
Enterprise is the FII of Star Trek. Initially hated, but the more time passes, the more one appreciates it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1996 on: June 12, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
Enterprise is the FII of Star Trek. Initially hated, but the more time passes, the more one appreciates it.

Nah. The difference is that FII was hated because it was different, but was actually awesome. Enterprise was just beyond stale rehash at that point and doesn't deserve any better than it gets. The only season that I think is worthwhile is S3, which was a really strong season, but then they lost all of that and went for contrived fanwank garbage for S4.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1997 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
I remember being pissed that the local station it was on at the time, (UPN) killed the last season by moving the time it played all over the week.  It was hard to follow before the DVR days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: June 12, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »

Nah. The difference is that FII was hated because it was different, but was actually awesome. Enterprise was just beyond stale rehash at that point and doesn't deserve any better than it gets. The only season that I think is worthwhile is S3, which was a really strong season, but then they lost all of that and went for contrived fanwank garbage for S4.

I quite liked the Augments story arc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: June 12, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »

I quite liked the Augments story arc.

That was my least favourite of them all. :lol They just tried cramming in so many backstories that were far better off left alone entirely.
The best story of the season was the mirror universe one, because for the first time the characters had some personality and fun to them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2000 on: June 13, 2015, 12:33:31 AM »
As much as I love him as Data, I've kinda come to hate anything else Brent Spiner is/was in.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2001 on: June 13, 2015, 02:32:06 AM »
I'll probably rewatch it at some point (I generally do not rewatch or re-read things unless a significant amount of time has passed). I had recently finished watching TNG and DS9. I never really watched them much in the 90s, just whenever we caught them on TV, in fact I think TNG was the only Star Trek that I had ever seen in the 90s. So once I was done with my TNG/DS9 marathons I needed more of that. Voyager failed to grab me so I started Enterprise.

One of the reasons I loved it so much, instantly in fact, was that it felt different and fresh. Suddenly we weren't on the best ship in the galaxy with the best and smartest crew that never really makes mistakes. It had a real sense of discovery, it wasn't just about the viewer getting to know the characters, it was also them getting to know the universe together, on a meh ship (compared to other civilizations), without infinite resources to back them up. There was also a sense of danger that felt real throughout the show, not just in the beginning.

As for the season 4 fanservice, I take that as an attempt to view back the trekkies that quit because of problems with the canon or that it didn't feel like Star Trek to them. And they probably knew it was going to be the last season so they tried to wrap things up. It did for me what a lot of people got out of BSG, but without the constant dread that made BSG really hard to watch, especially more than a couple of episodes at a time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: June 13, 2015, 03:08:20 AM »
If there's one thing Enterprise is not, it's different and fresh. Most of it was rehash from earlier Trek (a lot of it from Voyager too), and it tried to copy the dynamic of TOS, except without the charm and attitude that made it work in the first place.

I think S4 was an attempt at trying to gain back the ST viewers who had abandoned it by relying on past Trek.  The show was boxed in by canon from the start, and they spent the first two seasons skirting around it on technicality so they could tell stories that weren't really ideal for it, then for S3 they came up with something fresh of its own that worked well, then for S4 they decided to go all in and tell stories that either shouldn't or didn't need to be told, or wouldn't have needed to be told if they wrote the show properly from the start. It was a confused mess. They should have just left it alone.
The producers involved didn't want to make any more Trek after Voyager, but the network pushed them, and that really shows imo with how uninspired the show is.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2003 on: June 13, 2015, 03:41:08 AM »
I don't know about that, I could never stand TOS. It didn't age well at all. So even if they copied from it, they must have improved on it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: June 13, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »
:lol
I agree that TOS hasn't aged well for the most part (I always take digs at it when it comes up), but they most definitely did not improve on that aspect with Enterprise. They copied the dynamic, but without the personality. Archer was a cardboard cutout captain, and T'Pol was the worst main cast Vulcan they've ever had.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: June 13, 2015, 08:15:33 AM »
T'Pol > 7 of 9 for looks.

Come at me :hat

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: June 13, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »

If you mean in character, no way. If you mean Jolene Blalock vs Jeri Ryan, I'd accept that. The gaunt pixie bowl cut look doesn't do it for me though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: June 13, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
If you mean Jolene Blalock vs Jeri Ryan, I'd accept that.

Yes. I prefer 7 as a character definitely.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2008 on: June 13, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »

If you mean Jolene Blalock vs Jeri Ryan, I'd accept that.

Yes. I prefer 7 as a character definitely.

If you mean in character, no way. If you mean Jolene Blalock vs Jeri Ryan, I'd accept that. The gaunt pixie bowl cut look doesn't do it for me though.

All of this
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2009 on: June 16, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
So, I'm almost through rewatching DS9, and I found out that while I think every character grew magnificently during the show, the one who made the least out of it was Bashir. Particularly the Section 31 episodes annoy me, because Siddig is just this impetulant cynic the whole episode.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2010 on: June 18, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »

On this we disagree. As I've often said, 7 never did much for me but Annika Hansen with the longer hair was gorgeous. While I'm not a fan of the chile bowl haircut, T'Pol was still better looking, and better built, than 7. And for that matter, the short hair on JR was even less flattering than on JB.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2011 on: June 18, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
If there's one thing Enterprise is not, it's different and fresh. Most of it was rehash from earlier Trek (a lot of it from Voyager too), and it tried to copy the dynamic of TOS, except without the charm and attitude that made it work in the first place.

I think S4 was an attempt at trying to gain back the ST viewers who had abandoned it by relying on past Trek.  The show was boxed in by canon from the start, and they spent the first two seasons skirting around it on technicality so they could tell stories that weren't really ideal for it, then for S3 they came up with something fresh of its own that worked well, then for S4 they decided to go all in and tell stories that either shouldn't or didn't need to be told, or wouldn't have needed to be told if they wrote the show properly from the start. It was a confused mess. They should have just left it alone.
The producers involved didn't want to make any more Trek after Voyager, but the network pushed them, and that really shows imo with how uninspired the show is.
When I went back and rewatched it, season 3 didn't fair as well as I expected. While the Xindi storyline is very good, there's a ton of filler in there. Remember that more than half the episodes are unrelated or only tangentially related to the Xindi. Some were good and some were awful. Season two lacked the recurring story but might have been stronger in terms of quality vs shit episodes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: June 18, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »

On this we disagree. As I've often said, 7 never did much for me but Annika Hansen with the longer hair was gorgeous. While I'm not a fan of the chile bowl haircut, T'Pol was still better looking, and better built, than 7. And for that matter, the short hair on JR was even less flattering than on JB.

I'm not a fan of having the hair up at all, and JR did look better with her hair out (who doesn't?), but even with hair up I preferred it to the Vulcan bowl, especially the bad wig from the first couple of seasons. It wasn't looking too bad in S3 and 4 when they switched it out though, and sorted out the eyebrows a bit.

I don't see how Blalock was better built. She was a twig with bolt-on tits. She looked a lot better in the later seasons when they had the more fitted coloured outfits, rather than the steel wool potato sack of S1/2, but you can't compete with the wonders of the corseted catsuit. :lol (even out of the suit I thought she had a much better figure).

But hey, I'm not kicking either one out of bed! Each to their own.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: June 18, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »

When I went back and rewatched it, season 3 didn't fair as well as I expected. While the Xindi storyline is very good, there's a ton of filler in there. Remember that more than half the episodes are unrelated or only tangentially related to the Xindi. Some were good and some were awful. Season two lacked the recurring story but might have been stronger in terms of quality vs shit episodes.

I rewatched it semi-recently, and I still thought S3 was very strong. There are some definite duds, like Extinction, which is one of Trek's worst episodes, and North Star with it's random Western theme, but it also had all of my favourites of Enterprise, like E2, Carpenter Street and Similitude.
I don't think I'd want every single episode to be related directly to the Xindi storyline. It makes sense that given the vast nature of their mission, there will be tangents and mistakes, so I actually liked that aspect. I find things get too monotonous if they're too narrowly focused in their overall story arc.

It's not that the first 2 seasons are outright bad, but the vast majority of it is redundant and stale. It's consistently mediocre.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2014 on: June 18, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »

I'm not a fan of having the hair up at all, and JR did look better with her hair out (who doesn't?), but even with hair up I preferred it to the Vulcan bowl, especially the bad wig from the first couple of seasons. It wasn't looking too bad in S3 and 4 when they switched it out though, and sorted out the eyebrows a bit.

I don't see how Blalock was better built. She was a twig with bolt-on tits. She looked a lot better in the later seasons when they had the more fitted coloured outfits, rather than the steel wool potato sack of S1/2, but you can't compete with the wonders of the corseted catsuit. :lol (even out of the suit I thought she had a much better figure).

But hey, I'm not kicking either one out of bed! Each to their own.
JR was way too tall for my taste, and while she did have more meat on her, it didn't do anything to make her curvier. The only curves she had were those enormous tits, whereas JB was nicely built from to to bottom. How many times did you ever see JR and think "wow, great ass!"?
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: June 18, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »
I actually thought that often. Are you getting the two confused, because Blalock was the one with no ass. She was just a straight line with tits. The two are pretty much the same height too, 7 of 9 just had the heels.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2016 on: June 18, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
I actually thought that often. Are you getting the two confused, because Blalock was the one with no ass. She was just a straight line with tits. The two are pretty much the same height too, 7 of 9 just had the heels.
I guess it just comes down to preferred body types. Seven just always seemed to have no real defining features other than being a giant with a huge rack. Since I prefer smaller framed girls, which is not to say skinny, BTW, JB always came off better IMO. Also, the heals were part of the problem. I've never been a fan of the way high heals reshape the legs/ass.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: June 18, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
At least we won't have to fight over Trek girls in this unrealistic fantasy battle. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2018 on: June 18, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
I prefer Ryan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2019 on: June 18, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »
So do I, but Jolene is pretty hot, too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2020 on: June 18, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
I often wondered if the actresses read threads like this. :lol

Psshaw, like they'd have a chance with me. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2021 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:22 PM »
Well, yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: June 18, 2015, 11:35:37 PM »

Well, yes. (but not as T'Pol imo)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2023 on: June 19, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »

Well, yes. (but not as T'Pol imo)
Yeah, I agree, but that wasn't the initial point. JR>JB, IMO. T'Pol>SoN.

In considering this I watched a couple of late night talk show appearances from both of them and it's rather interesting. JR really is gorgeous IRL, and she has one of those outgoing personalities that make her the focal point of the galaxy (just don't take her to a swinger's club). And yes, pretty nicely built. JB came across as flighty and a bit coked up, and not as pretty as JR (though I still prefer her body type), but she has an innate sexuality that JR seems completely devoid of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febOvmrnVb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-3t4whoRA
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: June 19, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
I don't think I've ever actually seen JB outside of a TV show, just doing an interview as herself, or even seen her properly smile. That bumps her up a few notches (although I already thought she was hot out of costume anyway). The fact she's a pretty crummy actress usually works against her too, and she seems to be a total airhead from that interview (which could be viewed as a pro or a con depending on how you want to look at it :lol)
Outside of Trek, I'd probably put them about even now, but it's still a no brainer for me in costume that 7 of 9 is way hotter.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2025 on: June 19, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
I don't think I've ever actually seen JB outside of a TV show, just doing an interview as herself, or even seen her properly smile. That bumps her up a few notches (although I already thought she was hot out of costume anyway). The fact she's a pretty crummy actress usually works against her too, and she seems to be a total airhead from that interview (which could be viewed as a pro or a con depending on how you want to look at it :lol )
Outside of Trek, I'd probably put them about even now, but it's still a no brainer for me in costume that 7 of 9 is way hotter.
I generally tend to not judge anybody's acting based on their ST character. She played a convincing Vulcan and that's that. It's when they try to play other characters that you see how good or bad they are. That's why all of the DS9 mirror universe episodes sucked so horribly, horribly, badly. So I have no idea if she's a decent actress or not. As for the airhead part, probably, but she just seemed more doped up in that interview than actually dumb. Something else that'd bump her up a notch in my book. JR just doesn't strike me as the adventurous type, but eating some X or doing some blow and doing the late night chat shows works well for me.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: June 19, 2015, 09:08:25 AM »
I've seen Blalock in Stargate too, and she's just as bad. Still always appears to be on the verge of tears for some strange reason, and weirdly fidgety. I get the impression she scratches a lot between takes. Maybe that's why they had to invent the Trellium D storyline. :neverusethis:

You can still have her. I'll take Jeri Ryan. I like 'em classy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2027 on: June 19, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
Paramount Invites “Star Trek Beyond” Fan Creator to Pitch TV Series

First potentially exciting Star Trek news I've heard in years.  Also, great opportunity for a fan!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
Khan ! The Musical starring Gael Garcia Bernal  !

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2029 on: June 19, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »
Khan ! The Musical starring Gael Garcia Bernal  !
:yeahright