Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 257867 times)

Offline MinistryOfLostSouls

• I'm a vewy vewy nithe guy
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #875 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:14 PM »
One word: Millennium Falcon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2014, 01:15:26 AM »
That's actually two words, and I don't know how it relates to the discussion.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2014, 01:19:46 AM »
That's actually two words, and I don't know how it relates to the discussion.

It's what Data should call his pet bird if he ever gets one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2014, 03:55:38 AM »

Picard's Enterprise could kick it's tiny arse.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #879 on: March 10, 2014, 08:28:53 AM »
Just (re) starting to make my way through Enterprise, cuz I never watched it in the first place.  Watched the Andorian Incident and Breaking the Ice. 

Andorian ... wasn't too hard to predict what they were gonna find in the cattacombs.  And like the group of monks along with Archer/Tripp couldn't over-power those four numbskulls.

Breaking the Ince... WTF was with the "video" back home scene?  Like, in 200 years, people don't know how a self contained vessel takes care of shit?  Did other naval vessels (subs, air craft carriers...) go extinct or something.  The number of  ::) at that scene.

Then I flipped over to (rewatch) Boston Legal (starting right at the beginning... S1E01).  Enterprise better pick up, or it's gonna lose out to Denny and Alan real quick.
If you're going to be that nit-picky about flaws that pop up in every ST series you're never going to like ENT. In fact, I can already predict that you're never going to like it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
I usually go into things wanting to enjoy them (hell, I loved the movie Battleship!  :lol).  Had no idea that those two things would be considered 'nit picking'.  I wouldn't call what I pointed out to be 'flaws', just observations that made me lol on how 'realistic' the scenario was.  And for the record, I love(d) TNG, all the movies (despite THEIR obvious flaws) and enjoyed the first few seasons of DS9.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
That's cool, and if you're keeping an open mind that's great. Just seems like those are odd things to single out. Third graders still ask shuttle astronauts how they, er, do their business, and the Enterprise crew actually were doing something untried at that point. As for the Andorians, I had no problem with any of it. To address your point, just because the monks were Vulcans didn't mean that they were Shaolin badasses. They were pacifists and as such the the 3 crewmembers were best served not starting any shit. In fact, they were probably far more aggressive than was tactically sound. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
Just had a thought that the production design on The Motion Picture set the template for the first 6 Trek Movies.

Also - in the next movie - i'd like to see more of the Enterprise interior like Captain's quarters etc.

Plus a new Enterprise might be nice at the end of the third movie.

Make it look a little more like the Motion Picture Enterprise. Straighten the Nacelles and pylons out a bit.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
To address your point, just because the monks were Vulcans didn't mean that they were Shaolin badasses. They were pacifists and as such the the 3 crewmembers were best served not starting any shit. In fact, they were probably far more aggressive than was tactically sound.

I hear you there, and you're right.  However, there was one scene towards the end where one 'blue-skin' was locked in the room with all the monks and Archer/Trip.... and then the dude turns his back on Archer/Trip to 'hit' on T'Pol.  As a guard of prisoners, he left himself very open to being incapacitated.  The overall story was fine/good, but there were a few minor things that were kinda sloppy and could've easily been cleaned up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa there!  It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:37:34 PM by MinistryOfLostSouls »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: March 10, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
Yeah well I can run a mile in just under a mile and a half :neverusethis:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #886 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa there!  It the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

Given how parsecs are a measure of distance, I always assumed that the Kessel run is a race with a fixed amount of time, and people try to cover the most distance. So, covering less than 12 parsecs tells actually tells you how *shitty* the Millenium Falcon is.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: March 10, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
What it really tells you is how shitty George's writing is.

« Reply #888 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa there!  It the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

Given how parsecs are a measure of distance, I always assumed that the Kessel run is a race with a fixed amount of time, and people try to cover the most distance. So, covering less than 12 parsecs tells actually tells you how *shitty* the Millenium Falcon is.

The books went on to explain that The Kessel Run is goes through a region with a bunch of black holes, so Solo was making the run and then flew slightly into the gravity well, or event horizon or whatever it is, and then warped space time to make it in a shorter distance.  The ship is so fast it can defy the laws of physics, son! 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #889 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
Too bad that going close to an event horizon slows down his own time, which means he would have lost time doing so.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #890 on: March 10, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »
There have been a number of "explanations" for that line that I've read over the years.  One pretty much agree with you, Kotowboy, that it just shows that Lucas didn't know WTF he was talking about and was trying to sound cool.

Another is kinda the opposite of your theory, Rumby.  The Kessel Run is long, something of a space marathon, but it's point-to-point and there is no fixed route.  Therefore, a skilled pilot will choose a course which takes advantage of wormholes and gravitational slingslots in order to shorten the distance and/or travel time.  Making the run in less than a certain distance makes no sense at face value, but is actually a testament to Han Solo's skill as a hyperspace pilot.

Shit, ninja'd big time.  Oh well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #891 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
Orbert's second option is what I always figured, although for it to be a testament to how fast the ship is (which it was) it would have to involve some gravitational phenomenon.

But yeah, Lucas sucks.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #892 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »
There have been a number of "explanations" for that line that I've read over the years.  One pretty much agree with you, Kotowboy, that it just shows that Lucas didn't know WTF he was talking about and was trying to sound cool.

Another is kinda the opposite of your theory, Rumby.  The Kessel Run is long, something of a space marathon, but it's point-to-point and there is no fixed route.  Therefore, a skilled pilot will choose a course which takes advantage of wormholes and gravitational slingslots in order to shorten the distance and/or travel time.  Making the run in less than a certain distance makes no sense at face value, but is actually a testament to Han Solo's skill as a hyperspace pilot.

See: Han Solo Trilogy  - Star Wars Extended Universe - The slingshot theory is canon.

The real question here is could Mr. Sulu do that?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #893 on: March 10, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Err, IIRC it was Sulu who steered the Klingon ship so close to the sun that it went back in time. So, Sulu could have fucking finished the race before it even began! And won a sword fight while doing so (in the straight and gay sense of that term)

« Reply #894 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
Err, IIRC it was Sulu who steered the Klingon ship so close to the sun that it went back in time. So, Sulu could have fucking finished the race before it even began! And won a sword fight while doing so (in the straight and gay sense of that term)

Oh myyy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #895 on: March 10, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »

See: Han Solo Trilogy  - Star Wars Extended Universe - The slingshot theory is canon.
I disagree.  If it didn't happen on film, it didn't happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #896 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
Yeah, that's where I am, too.  I know Lucas considers the books canon as well, but to me that doesn't make any sense.  Any schmuck can write a book set in the Star Wars Extended Universe, and even if Lucas supposedly has to okay each one, I'd bet real money that he doesn't read every one of them.

Nothing personal, MOLS, but the number of people who read the books is a tiny, tiny percentage of people who've seen the movies.  For enlightenment and perspective, they're fine, but as "proof" because the books are supposedly canonical just seems wrong.  And I say that given that you're actually supporting my position.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #897 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
Well...I don't think he said specifically that the books WERE canon.   It more ambiguous than that... something like, "...we won't call it 'not canon'....until we come up with something else..."
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

« Reply #898 on: March 10, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »
Yeah, that's where I am, too.  I know Lucas considers the books canon as well, but to me that doesn't make any sense.  Any schmuck can write a book set in the Star Wars Extended Universe, and even if Lucas supposedly has to okay each one, I'd bet real money that he doesn't read every one of them.

Nothing personal, MOLS, but the number of people who read the books is a tiny, tiny percentage of people who've seen the movies.  For enlightenment and perspective, they're fine, but as "proof" because the books are supposedly canonical just seems wrong.  And I say that given that you're actually supporting my position.

I work all over the country and I've see the EU books at every Walmart in The US, at least the most recent ones.  I don't know how popular they are.  Regardless if they re considered canon or not JJ is going to fuck them up anyway.  Though, I loved the second new Star Trek movie.  It's like Hollywood made bigger Hollywood out of what was already big Hollywood.  I love it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: March 11, 2014, 05:26:56 AM »
SO - how about that Star Trek ?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I wish that All Good Things was a movie instead of Insurrection.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: March 11, 2014, 05:29:49 AM »
SO - how about that Star Trek ?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I wish that All Good Things was a movie instead of Nemesis.

FTFY. :biggrin:

Instead of being a final episode, it could be the final movie.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #901 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »
Funny... I STILL haven't watched Insurrection.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #902 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
Funny... I STILL haven't watched Insurrection.

Blob's fix would be mine as well.   I absolutely LOVE Insurrection.   Nemesis OTOH is complete and utter bile.    I actually own it as part of a boxed set, but I've only seen it once since I saw it in the theater...and it was still the worst ST movie I've ever seen.

Insurrection is actually my favorite.   It is *a bit* more like an episode than a movie...but there are some themes that resonate with me personally, so I always really enjoy it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #903 on: March 11, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
Yeah, it definitely feels more like a really long episode, in a good way. Some interesting culture that has one key aspect of humanity deactivated (mortality), and some evil guys who actually have a reason to be evil.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: March 11, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Yeah, it definitely feels more like a really long episode, in a good way.

I see that raised often as a criticism, but I also think it's a good thing. It's not one of my favourite Trek movies, but I do still quite like it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #905 on: March 15, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
Is it bad that, just yesterday, I found out that the bad guy in Nemesis is Bane in Batman? I feel like I'm a few years behind here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
I see so many Trek related things on the net that I always knew that the guy playing Bane was the same guy from Nemesis. And I've never seen the Batman movie, so he's still just the dude from Nemesis to me.

If it makes you feel better though, nobody will fault you for disregarding Nemesis. :P

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
LOL well it was on BBCA last night, so I watched it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
I see so many Trek related things on the net that I always knew that the guy playing Bane was the same guy from Nemesis. And I've never seen the Batman movie, so he's still just the dude from Nemesis to me.

If it makes you feel better though, nobody will fault you for disregarding Nemesis. :P

That's because you're all knowing sir.

But really, when I saw Nemesis in the theaters I didn't know who Tom Hardy was.  Hell, in Inception I didn't know him and when they announced him as the guy playing Bane I went back and watched Inception.  Only in reruns of Nemesis did I put it together after Hardy's career took off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »
Yeah when i found out that The Forger in Inception was Tom Hardy I could hardly believe it.

Shinzon, The Forger & Bane are all so different.

EDIT  speaking of Inception - I'm surprised that Eames is not a Doctor. :p. maybe that would be a bit too On The Nose for Chris Nolan.