Author Topic: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! POST-ROULETTE CEREAL HOURS  (Read 33534 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 2 COMPARISONS
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
ariich: v
That's it, you're getting a slap!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
:soon:

I also thought that impression was about the Dissona song for what it's worth, good tune

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
By the way, in the hopes of cheering everyone up I'm going to tell you my idiot moment of the day to make you feel like geniuses by comparison

I just tried to google how to do the 'down arrow' for comparisons without stopping to realise that it's just the letter v

This is your "how do I type Roman numerals with my keyboard" moment :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »
By the way, in the hopes of cheering everyone up I'm going to tell you my idiot moment of the day to make you feel like geniuses by comparison

I just tried to google how to do the 'down arrow' for comparisons without stopping to realise that it's just the letter v

:lol

This is your "how do I type Roman numerals with my keyboard" moment :lol

:rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2019, 10:55:00 AM »
 :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
I'm relistening to the Capstan album and god that song is so good

My round 2 and 3 songs are the best ones I'm gonna send tbh

Round 7 is real good too

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
Poop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »

home: v

This just means I'm second place this round  :hat
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2019, 05:17:50 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »

home: v

This just means I'm second place this round  :hat
You're in for a Frank Ocean of Grief

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
:chino2: :glare: :eyebrows:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 2 RESULTS
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2019, 05:34:42 AM »
Round 2 Results!
This round ended up being a bit better than I thought before, mostly because the fucking Death Grips song grew on me somehow? less 8+ action though

Elite: Major Parkinson - Night Hitcher
The singer reminds me a lot of someone else, but that's not a good thing.
I'm getting weird Tom Waits vibes from the vocals, something almost wholly unique but at the sometime something that lacks any sort of emotional deliverance..? The music sounds interesting enough, and primarily the synths are a nice draw, but I can't take it seriously.

I rarely feel more neutral about a song than this, I remember there was one song I listened to years ago that I really liked, but I can't recall which, or why I was so into that and am so not into this now. the synthesisers and drums lay a really cool base for the song for sure, it's just not enough to interest me, as there is clearly still a big focus on vocals here that I can't see past. I never liked vocals like that, that are more whispery than singy.

4.5/10

TAC: Althea - The Art of Trees
Very meh throughout, nothing that makes me go: YES! and it goes on for too long.
This band has vocals that I am super meh towards, leaning on the more prog-power side of things has rarely done me any favours. Other than that I remember some melodies were a bit grating, the added piano layers were cool, but the song was pretty long and didn't keep me hooked all the way through.

Now that I'm registering it more, the opening instrumental section is pretty cool, just like with your last submission! I still feel mostly the same about everything after the 2 minute mark. I can see the appeal, and also why you would send it to me, but I think I need more memorable riffs and vocals that are more down my street for a song of this length to keep me interested. Then there's the 'third half' which is also mostly an extended instrumental section, this song is like a sandwich. The main theme has a cool groove to it but also gets a bit tiring after repeating a few too many times. I don't hate it, it just feels like the song with the least 'personality' to it this round, or least unique.

6.25/10

home: Frank Ocean - Nights
The production is near flawless, but I'm just not that into the main body of the song. The flow of the vocals just doesn't work for me at all. It picks up in the final movement, but this also feels awkwardly glued to the rest of the song so it's not as enjoyable.

Pretty sure my opinion on this song is not going to change, I wouldn't like Frank Ocean just judging by the fact that his flow (and to be honest also his voice) doesn't work for me. I really appreciate the musical flow in the first half, the transitions are very well done there, but the ones in the later half are more tacky. It's kind of theatrical in a way, and I think I could enjoy this particularly well with for example a more preachy/choiry approach of vocals like on TPAB by Kendrick. I have also dug Frank Ocean a little more on his Flower Boy appearance than this song as far as I remember. I can see now why this album was so praised, it's not for me but it's a more interesting take on R&B/hiphop than most of the players currently in the game

6.25/10

ariich: Dissona - Totality
Hardly remember anything other than there were some okay riffs, this one will need quite a few more spins to grasp.
I believe I checked out this album and didn't care for it, I think I understand why now. This style of slow 'proggy' riffing doesn't do much for me.. even when the music is actually super dynamic it doesn't feel that way. My main gripe are the vocals though, the mix sounds weirdly quiet and the vocals match this which makes it all sound way less grand than it could have been.

I think one of the main setbacks is the Wilderun-type cleans, I don't like those kind of folky 'medieval' clean vocals much and never did. :lol Some of the riffs are actually super cool, and I think I would love them if they used more open string chords in the really heavy parts, this way with the strumming there's still some kind of restraint I wish wasn't there when the song goes all out. There must be a band out there that is 90% similar to this one that I would love, there's so much they're striking off in my book yet I can't get into this as a whole. I totally see why you would send this. It's still a pretty good score, but maybe not quite enough for me to try them again, as I think I've actually listened to this album once before and wasn't into it. Maybe further down the line though!

7/10

Sacul: Death Grips - Hacker
I wonder why people keep thinking I would like this!! I really don't.

That's literally all I wrote for my first impression. :rollin Okay..
There's so much to say about this. The overall randomness is just so so much. Every couple seconds I hear a random new sound that doesn't go anywhere but just seems to be some kind of distraction. There is a chorus, so the song does have some kind of structure, but other than that it's all distraction. It's definitely a grower though, I find myself intrigued and wanting to hear that chorus again and again. It's catchy, and the less random portion of the synths in the background throughout the whole song are pretty damn cool. I was ready to 3.5-bomb this one, so I hope you're happy this is actually growing on me. I don't love it, I probably don't even want to hear the album, but there you go.  :corn

7/10

Cyril: Capstan - We'll Always Have Paris
Don't like what's going on vocally, it's a pretty well structured song though.
Ugh I really want to like this more, I just don't like those emo/pop-punk moments in the vocals. Kind of reminds me of My Chemical Romance or early Panic! at the Disco (though actually P!ATD is awesome). The music is fine enough though there's definitely a focus on the vocals, so that's what I'm mostly concerned about.

At this point I've gotten accustomed to the vocals to a certain extent, but still don't actively enjoy them. They're pretty okay when they go into the more screamy a la La Dispute style. It's a well made song for sure, I like it when songs stick to the main body and kind of build around it but at the same time don't go off into different directions. It's like the song is one big build. It's still catchy and I can't help but at least slightly enjoy it. The chorus is the highlight of the song, so it is definitely served well by the fact that there is even more focus on the chorus on this song than most songs. Looks like a classic case of 7/10 to me!

7/10

Kattelox: Magic Dance - In Their Eyes
An overall nice atmosphere and good first impression, it still blurs together a bit in my head though.
This is a really nice tune that, after just 1 listen, I can already pretty sure I won't fall in love with, but I also wouldn't mind listening to from time to time. It's especially nice to have this in-between the mostly pretty busy / hard-to-digest music I have gotten for this round.

It's the earworm of the round along with Ihlo for sure, there's some moments that remind me of a Mr. Mister song I received in my very first roulette, and then there's some of that retro synthwave kinda stuff that I'm totally down with. It's a bit more upbeat/happy than I would generally go for myself, but it all works out totally fine. The vocals are memorable, the synths are fucking thick, and the overall sound is nice and dreamy. Yes.

7.5/10

Puppies: Kontinuum - Moonshine
The mix sounds a bit off, but I can look past that since the music is pretty sick
This is more like it. A cool doomy sound, but not very plodding at all. The riffs and some of the vocals remind me a bit of King Goat in that way. The slight change of pace around the mid mark is really helpful for songs of this style, it's not sticking with the same theme all the time but it also doesn't try to be overly proggy. And regardless, I don't feel all that engaged throughout and feel a bit underwhelmed. It's one of those songs that keeps me pretty entertained all the way through, but doesn't stick afterwards.

If I have to blame it on something, I'd say the song doesn't start of very strong, and mainly due to the clean vocals being a bit dry and the riffs not really compensating for it either. I'm happy that changes and the song starts being more awesome past the halfway mark. I'll call this King Goat Jr., and will definitely check out something by them to see where I'm at with these guys. It's one of the entries of this round that I'm the most unsure of whether I would actually like the band or not.

7.75/10

Bolsters: Ihlo - Starseeker
The atmosphere is great, it's nothing new but is pretty good at what it does.
Obviously, I can't help but think about TesseracT a bit when listening to. This band adapted the same kind of style of djent with a more atmospheric focus and echo-y but also catchy alt-metal type of vocals. I believe I turned the album off after the first two songs when I checked them out, I wonder if it was just a mood thing, or the first two songs are not very good, but I'm super into this one. The chorus is the best thing about it, and my #1 earworm of the round award will go to that. Beyond that, I can't remember much but I do remember liking it a lot.

They do a very good job on these lush atmospheres with tight riffs, and maybe the album cover also helps paint that picture (it's damn beautiful). I may have overestimated the quality of the chorus on first impression, but I still think it's great and I always like it when a song has something really cool to remember for when I get into the next few listens, it certainly helps. Another great feat is the quiet passage in the second half of the song, but it would have been better if it came a bit earlier in my opinion, as the song just feels a tad longer than it has to.

8/10

Evermind: Mother of Millions - Artefact
Epic. Would be pretty surprised if this doesn't end up winning the round.
The main melody with the piano is just too good, and when the spoken words passage came in I was just hoping for that Hypno5e-like post-rock outburst in the finale of their "Shores of the Abstract Line" album, and I got exactly that. Fucking ecstatic.

This was no contest, the buildup is very nice and calm, kind of haunting, kind of wintery. but quickly enough moving into this piano lead that I'm loving and from there it's all builds folks. The payoff in a song automatically makes the build better for me, but I can't fault this song for anything really. They bring back the vocals in the final section as well when it's all epic and dramatic, they could even have left them out here I think in favour of a more dynamic drum pattern, but it kinda works. Beyond just being emotionally loaded, and being grand, I think the song is also very well thought out. It's long but everything is here for a reason, nothing feels even remotely glued together, y'know?

9/10

Standings
Evermind: 16
ariich: 15
Sacul: 15
home: 14.75
TAC: 14.5
Bolsters: 13.75
Cyril: 13.5
Kattelox: 13.5
Elite: 12.25
Puppies: 12

SEND FOR ROUND 3 Y'ALL YOU HAVE LIKE... 60 HOURS
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2019, 05:39:51 AM »

4.5/10

what the fuck
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2019, 05:48:24 AM »
Very big big score, nice

Probably my last round victory but I'll enjoy the lead while it lasts!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2019, 06:29:03 AM »

4.5/10

what the fuck

WTF indeed!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2019, 06:36:26 AM »
Fair enough about Dissona, I mean I obviously don't agree but I get where you're coming from and 7/10 is still a pretty good score. So although not a great placement for the round, I'm somehow still in joint 2nd place overall. :hat

Regarding Ihlo, you should definitely check out the whole album. The first two songs are fine but they're definitely on the more straightforward end of things (and I'd actually include Starseeker in that description too - the three of them feel to me like a real mix of Tesseract and Haken). For me the best and most interesting stuff comes in the second half of the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 11, 2019, 06:42:42 AM »
That Ihlo album really is good. I'd take it over Haken personally!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: December 11, 2019, 08:39:22 AM »
it's gonna be really funny if my round 3 song is my best so far

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »
Sent! I went with something that surprisingly isn't banned. I need a good high scoring song. :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
Yeah that seems about right :lol. Will send something later.

That Ihlo album really is good. I'd take it over Haken personally!
:flame:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »
i listened to half of that Ihlo album once and it was boooorrrriiing omg

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »

how's it feel to be ultra wrong

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »
So you didn't even listen to all of it?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »
i had better things to do with my time  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
Cyril would rather hear from the cookie monster delegation than the beautiful sounds of that Ihlo record  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »
I probably would have been a lot more into the album back in 2014-2015, I'm just not fond of that style anymore.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
the sterile sounds maybe

I'm almost never impressed by that brand of tesseract clone

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Wait, I don't hear Tesseract in Ihlo. Ihlo is much better than Tesseract. :<

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »
And why would that be?  :corn

Wait, I don't hear Tesseract in Ihlo.
I definitely do, I explained why I think so in my write up, but I’m curious to find out what I think about the album. I seriously doubt I will like it more than TesseracT but they’re one of my all time favorite bands

3 songs in already!  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
And why would that be?  :corn
Well, I don't wanna keep secrets,

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »

Same, but I actually finished the album. Zzzz
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
I also listened to a bit of that Ihlo record and thought it was very generic and derivative.

Feel free to prove me wrong my next roulette. Whenever the hell that is. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
Who spiked the punch bowl with all this haterade

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »
Ihlo is a great metal album for people who don't like metal apparently :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
My favorite kind of metal is metal that doesn't try to be very metal so yeah that's actually kinda right