Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 348604 times)

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #2800 on: February 04, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
So I ended up buying Act I and was initially disappointed, but now I LOVE the first 4 tracks and Pimp and the Priest.  However, 1878 and the last His Hands Matched His Tongue do nothing for me, and I dislike the final track.  I am considering getting the other 2 acts at some point, but the samples I've listened to have made them sound somewhat bloated, and a lot of the vibes (especially from Act II) go hand in hand with the tracks I didn't care for on Act I.

Any encouragement in this department?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2801 on: February 08, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
new 77 min interview/podcast with Casey, talking about his music history, including much about the Symphony. The interviewer is the same dude who had them show up on G4's Attack of the Show back in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeHgMAUITHE
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:34:02 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2802 on: February 08, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
Thanks for posting that, really interesting stuff.

Offline drew512

« Reply #2803 on: February 19, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »
Casey is the man. :hefdaddy I'm a huge fan of his work with TDH and really look forward to the symphony. The Acts are awesome, but The Color Spectrum holds a special place for me. I know a lot of folks believe there's some filler there, but I adore the complete work. The Color Spectrum Live DVD is one of the best concert DVDs in my collection, just completely fantastic.

The only bummer for me has to do with his last StageIt show. I tipped a pretty healthy amount to ensure I'd be one of the winners of a signed Migrant LP (one of the listed "prizes"), but almost a year later I still haven't received it or even been contacted about it. I've been back and forth with StageIt support a few times, and they say they keep trying to contact his management to no avail. It's certainly not the end of the world if I never get it, but it would have been a pretty special thing to have. I really only bring it up here in case there's someone close to the band or to Casey that might be able to make good on it.  ;D

Regardless of that, I continue to support Casey because he just makes damn amazing music.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #2804 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
The only bummer for me has to do with his last StageIt show. I tipped a pretty healthy amount to ensure I'd be one of the winners of a signed Migrant LP (one of the listed "prizes"), but almost a year later I still haven't received it or even been contacted about it. I've been back and forth with StageIt support a few times, and they say they keep trying to contact his management to no avail. It's certainly not the end of the world if I never get it, but it would have been a pretty special thing to have. I really only bring it up here in case there's someone close to the band or to Casey that might be able to make good on it.  ;D

Try messaging him on Twitter (@CaseyCrescenzo).  That's usually the best way to reach him.  He's fairly good at responding to those messages.  If that doesn't work, sign up for an account on the TDH message board (www.lakeandtheriver.com) and start a thread about it there.  He's not quite as active on the message board as he used to be, but I know for sure that he still lurks and reads through threads pretty regularly Word of advice on that though - just make sure your tone is more like "Hey, does anybody know how I can get this resolved?" and avoid phrasing it like "OMGZ I'm like so pissed he sucks for ignoring me".  If you're cool about it, the people over there will definitely help, but if you're a dick about it they'll pretty much jump down your throat and disown you.  Also might want to give it a few days since they're still in the middle of the Prog Nation cruise and they're in the middle of the ocean right now and probably don't have much internet access.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2805 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
Bad news for European fans...

It is with great regret that we must cancel our upcoming UK / European tour with Anthony Green. This is due to a serious family illness with Anthony. We wish him the best of luck, and we know that this decision was not easy for him. Unfortunately, due to the logistics of the tour, we cannot do the tour without Anthony. Beyond that, we were very much looking forward to touring together. Therefore, we have already begun discussing a timeframe later this year to make it up to our fans overseas who have been waiting for us for years. We will keep you all posted on new dates. Thank you for understanding.

:(

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
Hopefully they will bring the tour to Scandinavia when they are finally able to go to Europe!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2807 on: February 21, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
That really sucks. :(

I don't even know who Anthony Green is and was only really excited about seeing TDH (finally, after all these years), so it's especially disappointing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2808 on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
Same here but I probably wasn't going to be able to attend this tour. Hopefully when his family issues are resolved and they schedule a new tour there will be a date that I could attend.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2809 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
That really sucks. :(

I don't even know who Anthony Green is and was only really excited about seeing TDH (finally, after all these years), so it's especially disappointing.

He's the lead singer of Circa Survive.  Circa Suvive has got a pretty big following, which is probably why Anthony Green can be a headliner.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2810 on: February 22, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »
Yeah they're fairly big. Not sure why TDH couldn't just do their own tour though. :sadpanda:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2811 on: February 22, 2014, 03:46:11 AM »
Pretty sure TDH are still very indie, I doubt many people here in Europe have heard them.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2812 on: February 22, 2014, 06:16:46 AM »
They were only going to be playing small venues anyway, the right sort of size for them.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2813 on: February 22, 2014, 06:43:10 AM »
Sure, but touring is not very cheap either. It seems to be pretty common with bands from either America or Europe that can tour pretty frequently on their own home turf, but when it comes to crossing the sea, it never or rarely happens. It might be hard reaching success on both sides, especially if you are a smaller band. It's interesting to me that some bands who have been putting out quite a few albums by now (TDH, Dredg for example) haven't really toured much (or at all) outside of US. On the other hand you have bands like Periphery who have only made two albums, but already toured all over the world.

So I think with the case of TDH, they are just a bit too unknown, or makes the kind of music that not a lot of people listen to. We love them here on DTF, and a lot of people into either indie or prog might know and love them, but even if they did a small tour by playing the smallest venues, it would still cost a bit.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2814 on: February 23, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
Yeah, I think it's mostly an issue of funding.  They basically have no money.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2815 on: February 23, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
You know, I don't mean this as a criticism of the band, but so much of their music sounds vaguely like something else I can't place. I feel like Casey wears his influences too strongly sometimes. Even their name, "The Dear Hunter", sounds really close to Deerhunter.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2816 on: February 23, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Really? TDH sound very unique to me... though that is likely because I don't listen to much other music in that vein.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2817 on: February 23, 2014, 09:04:23 PM »
. Even their name, "The Dear Hunter", sounds really close to Deerhunter.

Casey came up with the name long before Deerhunter had ever released a record; i.e. the name "The Dear Hunter" had absolutely nothing to do with and without any knowledge of Bradford Cox's band. The fact the names are similar is purely coincidental.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2818 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:39 PM »
Yeah, I've never felt The Dear Hunter in any way wore influences on their sleeve. Then again I don't think I listen to much music that likely inspired Casey.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2819 on: February 24, 2014, 03:45:12 AM »
You know, I don't mean this as a criticism of the band, but so much of their music sounds vaguely like something else I can't place. I feel like Casey wears his influences too strongly sometimes. Even their name, "The Dear Hunter", sounds really close to Deerhunter.

I kinda get what you are saying, but I'm not really sure what to think. To me, TDH is one of those bands that sounds really familiar, and you kinda think "i must have heard something similar before", but they might just be so good and original that it creates the illusion of recognition. With a lot of TDH songs, I get the same feeling when I listen to the song "Rising of the Tide" by Blackfield. That song has a melodic part towards the end that I just KNOW I recognize somehow, but I have asked several people and they seem to get what I'm talking about, but nobody have ever been able to point me toward a source of inspiration, so it might just be that original and good that it resonates that way in your brain.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: February 24, 2014, 04:51:26 AM »
I get what you're saying, but I doubt that's it...  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2821 on: February 24, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »
I don't really know what their influences are to be honest. Their music might not be the most original, but I also can't think of any particular bands or artist that they sound very similar to.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: February 24, 2014, 06:50:19 AM »
I think their biggest attribute is how many influences they have. Like the DT of yesteryear, even if a lot of music sounds familiar, it's coming from radically different places and melded together in a really cool way.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2823 on: March 02, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Sometimes they sound a lot like The Receiving End of Sirens.  The vocals especially sometimes sound identical.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2824 on: March 03, 2014, 04:10:28 AM »
Sometimes they sound a lot like The Receiving End of Sirens.  The vocals especially sometimes sound identical.
olol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2825 on: March 12, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
His Hands Matched His Tongue is such a great song. Definitely one of the best from Act I, and that's saying something.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2826 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
So does anyone know about Casey's symphony and where I can get it, or when its coming out?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2827 on: April 10, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »
Merchnow has the release listed as 5.5.14.

I'd recommend not buying through Merchnow, though, as I've heard people often have problems with them.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2828 on: April 10, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
Most recent update on the Symphony (which will be called "Amour & Attrition")

We’re genuinely sorry for the confusion with the release date on the Symphony. When setting up a Pledge campaign, you must list a release date. This has been a very involved process, and that date snuck up on us before we could adjust things accordingly.

The good news is that the recording is fully completed, and at the press plant now. We are hoping for a May release, and will have more detailed news very shortly.

We are also going to be debuting some music in the coming weeks, so please stay tuned for that as well! Sorry again to any confused fans. We promise you that this is on the way, and as always, we appreciate your loyal support. There is no way this would have come together without you.

Thanks,
The Dear Hunter

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2829 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
I imagine this will get some folks excited…

We're also happy to announce The Dear Hunter will be co-headlining with Rx Bandits this July! Dates:
Jul 11 St. Petersburg, FL @ State Theatre
Jul 12 Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room
Jul 13 Jacksonville, FL @ Roc Bar
Jul 14 Orlando, FL @ The Beacham
Jul 16 Atlanta, GA @ Center Stage
Jul 17 Raleigh, NC @ Lincoln Theater
Jul 18 Springfield, VA @ Empire
Jul 19 Silver Spring, MD @ The Fillmore
Jul 20 Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
Jul 22 New York, NY @ Best Buy Theater
Jul 23 Boston, MA @ House of Blues
Jul 25 Millvale, PA @ Mr. Smalls Theatre
Jul 26 Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
Jul 27 Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
Jul 28 Cleveland, OH @ Agora Ballroom
Jul 30 Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
Aug 01 Denver, CO @ The Summit Music Hall
Aug 02 Salt Lake City, UT @ In The Venue
Aug 04 Seattle, WA @ Neumos
Aug 05 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Aug 07 San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
Aug 08 Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
Aug 10 San Diego, CA @ House of Blues
Aug 11 Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
Aug 13 Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom
Aug 15 Austin, TX @ Emo’s East
Aug 16 Dallas, TX @ Gas Monkey Bar n Grill
Aug 17 Houston, TX @ The Studio at Warehouse Live
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2830 on: May 14, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
I'd prefer them to reschedule their UK/Europe tour that they had to cancel, rather than play yet another extensive US tour. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2831 on: May 14, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
I've never heard of RX Bandits, I wonder if they're any good.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2832 on: May 14, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
short clip from the Symphony. Digital release coming on June 3rd, Physical June 24th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPgvVDVUe0

RX Bandits are a really good live band. Don't miss them!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2833 on: May 29, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
The Pledgemusic Backers got download links today for Amour & Attrition..listening now, pretty sweet. It resembles something I might hear on the Classical station local MPR station would play. A fair amount of use of french horn and other wind instruments. Not a ton of point/counterpoint moments from first listening. But, maybe the intention wasn't to have them. Lot of dynamics and crescendos of course, which isn't surprising, but still keeps my attention.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2834 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
I don't know how many of you here have heard Amour & Attrition yet, but I wrote a review in case anyone's wondering:

https://hoppedonpop.com/2014/06/08/amour-attrition/

My opinion of it has improved since writing it, which isn't to say I trashed it, but it's proving itself to be a grower.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: