Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 257277 times)

Offline illusionist

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2415 on: February 04, 2019, 04:47:11 AM »
Does anybody know how many songs of the new album are played on a 6 string and how many on a 7 string guitar?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2416 on: February 04, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
Now that reviews are out, I will briefly share my initial thoughts from my first two listens (since getting my promo copy, I have only listened a couple of times, because I don't want to ruin it).

I hate to ask a dumb question, but what exactly don't you want to ruin?  :lol

I mean, you have the album.

I just mean that I don't want to play it so much that by the time it comes out and everyone is talking about it, I'm already at "yeah, been there/done that," you know what I mean?  I want it to still be fresh by release time.  That said, with all the hype now that reviews are out, it got me listening to it a lot over the weekend, and I don't see myself stopping now.  :lol

Bosk, how you find vocals overall? I mean UA and FITL have singer friendly and kinda uninsteresting vocals... Do others satisfy you?

The vocals are "fine."  Nothing really jumped out at me as being overwhelming or underwhelming.  They just seem to fit the song and do what is called for.  But one thing that I did notice is that the vocal melodies do not seem to push the envelope to the point that James would struggle with them live.  It's all in his comfort zone.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2417 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »
Before I begin, I'm not in the mood to argue with anyone who's going to tell me or even remotely imply that my way of doing this is wrong, so don't you even dare go there.

For me, the album shall end with Pale Blue Dot and no further. I'm just going to get the standard jewelcase disc. Nine tracks. That is the album and nothing else. I despise all this "bonus tracks" nonsense, especially with a brand new studio album. Either it's worthy to be included on the album or it's not. Bonus tracks are for exploitative "20th anniversary" reissues, not brand new studio releases.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #2418 on: February 04, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
Before I begin, I'm not in the mood to argue with anyone who's going to tell me or even remotely imply that my way of doing this is wrong, so don't you even dare go there.

For me, the album shall end with Pale Blue Dot and no further. I'm just going to get the standard jewelcase disc. Nine tracks. That is the album and nothing else. I despise all this "bonus tracks" nonsense, especially with a brand new studio album. Either it's worthy to be included on the album or it's not. Bonus tracks are for exploitative "20th anniversary" reissues, not brand new studio releases.
What's your policy on instrumental mixes?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2419 on: February 04, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »

What if you get the bonus track and just file it under a different album/collection/whatever?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2420 on: February 04, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
Personally I find all this discussion about bonus track incredibly nonsense, irrational and childish. Other people think otherwise, and that's fine. The world is big enough to think differently.

So that's it. Who doesn't like the bonus track, choose the standard option. If you like bonus track, choose the option with 10 tracks. Everyone happy in the end.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2421 on: February 04, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
Hopefully they will release Paralyzed next friday, two weeks before the release date.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #2422 on: February 04, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »
I think that in one of the interviews, they stated that it would be released on 2/15.

Frank

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2423 on: February 04, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »

Completely agree, I posted almost the same opinion on one of the last couple pages.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2424 on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
I think that in one of the interviews, they stated that it would be released on 2/15.

Frank

Then it follows the same pattern than Haken's Vector
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2425 on: February 04, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
I think I am going to skip on Paralyzed until the 22nd. UA, Paralyzed and FITL are the first 3 track of the album respectively. I like to listen to new releases from beginning to end, and I think it would be more enjoyable if I have a break in between the songs I already know.

Plus, if Paralyzed is released on the 15th, I think I can wait a week :rollin ;D
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline rab7

« Reply #2426 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
I think I am going to skip on Paralyzed until the 22nd. UA, Paralyzed and FITL are the first 3 track of the album respectively. I like to listen to new releases from beginning to end, and I think it would be more enjoyable if I have a break in between the songs I already know.

Plus, if Paralyzed is released on the 15th, I think I can wait a week :rollin ;D

Me too. I don't want to open the new album and have to wait 20 minutes before I hear new music

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2427 on: February 04, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »

Me too. I don't want to open the new album and have to wait 20 minutes before I hear new music

You should have done like me, that is not listen to any single until album release. :biggrin: :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2428 on: February 04, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »
At the first time I've heard The Astonishing, I've skipped TGOM and TMOB.   :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2429 on: February 04, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
Anyway, I was even more puzzled when I saw that all the reviews were positive and I blamed myself for not being able to grasp the essence of the album.

My personal experience has been that pre-release reviews are often far too positive than an album really warrants. I suspect it's a combination of factors, one being that the reviewer might fear to not get another pre-release if they are seen as too negative, and the other maybe that they don't want to deprive others from possibly enjoying an album they just happen to not like.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2430 on: February 04, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »
Is this finally the album where Mangini has a killer drum intro to a song a la Honor thy Father? Not holding my breath, he and JP seem totally oblivious to the concept  :\.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2431 on: February 04, 2019, 08:31:34 PM »
Is this finally the album where Mangini has a killer drum intro to a song a la Honor thy Father? Not holding my breath, he and JP seem totally oblivious to the concept  :\.

Or maybe they just don't feel the need to do something just because their former drummer did it a couple times. :P

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2432 on: February 04, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Personally I find all this discussion about bonus track incredibly nonsense, irrational and childish. Other people think otherwise, and that's fine. The world is big enough to think differently.

So that's it. Who doesn't like the bonus track, choose the standard option. If you like bonus track, choose the option with 10 tracks. Everyone happy in the end.

:iagree:

I don't see the point in getting mad about there being a bonus track when the entire point of a bonus track is to be optional.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2433 on: February 04, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »
Your favourite band making one extra song and you complain about it.

I don't follow any other band' forums or pages, do they complain too or is this DT speacial?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2434 on: February 04, 2019, 11:58:21 PM »

I don't follow any other band' forums or pages, do they complain too or is this DT speacial?

I don't know.  If my favorite band releases bonus songs in their albums, I'd be all over that and the fanbase would be all over that as well (heck, sometimes, people think the bonus songs really overshadow the worst song of the album and people wished the bonus song was part of the regular CD).  Oh wait, they do and they used to have it as a Best Buy exclusive until Best Buy stopped selling CDs and took away the only reason I do business with Best Buy (shows them to take away selling CDs).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:07:48 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2436 on: February 05, 2019, 12:10:53 AM »

Mike Mangini says CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. Wacka wacka!

And then of course there's Detonation.

But sure, Mangini is oblivious to killer drum intros.

P.S.

And it's not like that HTF intro is amazing. 6:00 is, but not HTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: February 05, 2019, 12:15:57 AM »
New review
https://metalwani.com/2019/02/review-dream-theater-distance-over-time.html

Wow that was wordy - my distance per unit of time getting through that was pretty damn slow.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2438 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:26 AM »
New review
https://metalwani.com/2019/02/review-dream-theater-distance-over-time.html

Wow that was wordy - my distance per unit of time getting through that was pretty damn slow.

Pleased it wasn't just me. On top of that, I didn't think it really said anything.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2439 on: February 05, 2019, 02:08:39 AM »
I tried to simplify the review's wording so it made a bit more sense:
Since their genesis in 1985, progressive masters Dream Theater have established an integral brotherhood to the creation of their music, which they decided to touch base with during the production of 'Distance Over Time'. Removing themselves from the regular citified structures in favor of the secluded five-acre Yonderbarn studios, manning barbecues, enjoying bourbon, as well as writing and recording their new record. 'Distance Over Time' is an organic return to roots brought to life by a renewed familial chemistry. There is little wonder as to why these legends and their fans grow more excited for its release on February 22nd.

While the band do indeed have a trademark sound, ‘Distance Over Time’ is artistically brave in both nurturing this sound once again, and aligning it with their current incarnation. The electrifying “Paralyzed” is a strong example of this. From its opening moments with guitarist John Petrucci and drummer Mike Mangini bouncing off each other in a rhythmic interlock, to its large scale moments orchestrated by the versatile vocals of James LaBrie, “Paralyzed” is simply among this albums best.

The highly praised “Fall Into The Light” captures the band in their element, though it was the studio play-through of “Untethered Angel” that showed Dream Theater at some of their progressive best. As Jordan Rudess dances masterfully over his keys, he does so with a technical proficiency that inspires and intimidates as we look on in a jaw dropping giddiness. When watching the bandmates support his moments and effortlessly pass the torch around the room for their own, there's a clear enjoyment among them seen in every track - perhaps none more so than the unexpected ballad “Out Of Reach”.

Dream Theater are no strangers to their wistful, musing and melancholic sides, and “Out Of Reach” is easily one of their best examples of this. Built primarily around a simple recurring melody on piano, and elevated by the subtle nuances in a stripped back performance of bassist John Myung, there's an ethereal atmosphere entrenched in this beautiful piece.

While their loyal fanbase may disagree, Dream Theater have never considered themselves to be an outfit beyond reproach. They have never allowed themselves to become prisoners of their own success. Instead they have retained what they hold dear, but have also kept their eyes forward. With that comes a record that is wildly invigorating, enchantingly emotive, and honors a brotherhood only few have known.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2440 on: February 05, 2019, 03:23:29 AM »
That review could have been written by anyone who's listened to the singles to be honest.

Online JRuless

« Reply #2441 on: February 05, 2019, 06:00:04 AM »
So far I think every review I read sofar are weak. Just based on the flavour and opinion of the reviewer. I want to read some more objective (as far as it could) reviews on style, musicianship, innovation, structures, perspective towards other songs etc. Noxonstyle. More theoretical in a way. I dont care about how much the reviewer likes it as I cannot relate to it.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #2442 on: February 05, 2019, 06:11:16 AM »
doesn't take that review so seriously. Know that the guy is a big Dt and Neal Morse Fan so waiting for a better one

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2443 on: February 05, 2019, 07:08:12 AM »
So far I think every review I read sofar are weak. Just based on the flavour and opinion of the reviewer. I want to read some more objective (as far as it could) reviews on style, musicianship, innovation, structures, perspective towards other songs etc. Noxonstyle. More theoretical in a way. I dont care about how much the reviewer likes it as I cannot relate to it.

You won't get an expanded review from me - the review I did is the extent of what I think I can do right now.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2444 on: February 05, 2019, 07:29:10 AM »

I don't know.  If my favorite band releases bonus songs in their albums, I'd be all over that and the fanbase would be all over that as well (heck, sometimes, people think the bonus songs really overshadow the worst song of the album and people wished the bonus song was part of the regular CD).  Oh wait, they do and they used to have it as a Best Buy exclusive until Best Buy stopped selling CDs and took away the only reason I do business with Best Buy (shows them to take away selling CDs).

Everything I've read about Viper King sounds amazing. That said, some people believe albums should have a distinct flow and having PBD be an epic closer, but still have 4 minutes of VK after that, is not appealing to some people.

I love the idea of PBD being the last thing I hear before it repeats back to UA. However, I also loved Breaking All Illusions being an epic closer while treating Beneath the Surface as "end credits". I pre-ordered the Bonus Track edition, and I'll treat it the same way. PBD is the conclusion, while VK will be a fun end credits song

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2445 on: February 05, 2019, 07:35:21 AM »
DT12 also had that guitar and piano easter egg as a nice “end credits” moment after the conclusion of IT. It’s interesting to note that all MM era albums have that going on except TA which is the only one with an actual story told throughout :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2446 on: February 05, 2019, 07:44:51 AM »

Everything I've read about Viper King sounds amazing. That said, some people believe albums should have a distinct flow and having PBD be an epic closer, but still have 4 minutes of VK after that, is not appealing to some people.

I love the idea of PBD being the last thing I hear before it repeats back to UA. However, I also loved Breaking All Illusions being an epic closer while treating Beneath the Surface as "end credits". I pre-ordered the Bonus Track edition, and I'll treat it the same way. PBD is the conclusion, while VK will be a fun end credits song

It definitely has that feel to it where PBD feels like the closer, and Viper King feels like a fun, goofy end-credits scene to give you something to talk and laugh about on the drive home, if that makes sense. 

And more on that song:  From Jordan's opening organ riffing before the rest of the band comes in, you know exactly what Viper King is going to do musically.  There are no surprises.  It's a very straightforward song.  And that is perfectly fine.  It really is very different for DT.  But it's a great addition to the album, and I would be bummed if I bought the standard edition and heard it later.

Pale Blue Dot is very interesting as well, in a completely different way.  As I was listening to it driving in this morning, I think it finally hit me what is so different about it.  First off, it is definitely a heavy song.  But Jordan and Mike drive everything that is going on in the song.  The guitars are definitely there, and in a big way.  But I never really feel like the guitars are center stage.  They are more there to augment the percussiveness to the song and to bring the heaviness.  This is a keyboard and drum-centric song to the hilt.  Not sure if Noxon or others who have heard it would agree, but that is definitely how it strikes me.  I almost dare not say this for fear it will be taken the wrong way, but I'll say it anyway:  Up until John's interlude solo (which is repeated and expanded upon in the outro), you could almost say the guitars aren't really doing much that is interesting, and are there to support the song.  It's all just chugging and a few open chords here and there when called for.  Again, even though the guitar is really the first instrument you really hear once you get past the intro sounds and the song proper starts, the keyboards and drums drive everything.

Favorite tracks so far:  Paralyzed and Room 137.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2447 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »
What about Barstool Warrior? that seems to have positively surprised many reviewers...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2448 on: February 05, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
well, Pale Blue Dot does have that hole djenty vibe going for it, alongside the Imperial March riff. It's a much more rhythmically focused track than riffy...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2449 on: February 05, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »
What about Barstool Warrior? that seems to have positively surprised many reviewers...
No, it's great.  Don't get me wrong.  It's probably my #3 or #4 on the album.  But I suspect that it will be a favorite for a lot of people.  I hate to draw comparisons, because I think comparisons to other songs are very personal, and other people will read the comparison and inevitably say, "What?  I don't hear that AT ALL."  But that said, in terms of kind of overall feel and flavor, the song sort of reminds me of the vibe of TCOT or Blind Faith in some ways.

well, Pale Blue Dot does have that hole djenty vibe going for it, alongside the Imperial March riff. It's a much more rhythmically focused track than riffy...
Absolutely.  That's a great way to describe it.