Author Topic: Fallout  (Read 2182 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Fallout
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2024, 08:56:25 PM »
Never played the game, so the show took some serious adjusting to get into it, but it was quite excellent. Of course I was lost as fuck until they started threading the various stories together, and man did that final episode deliver. Great performance by the young lady playing Lucy, and the Ghoul was awesome too. Curious to see where it goes from here.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2024, 03:17:58 AM »
I'm a bit behind, but I'm two episodes in at this point, and think it's really good so far. Never played any of the games so I'm just here for a good show, and so far I'm on board.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2024, 08:48:01 AM »
The old-timey music is meta. Fallout is the post-apocalyptic universe of ~1951. The soundtrack is the music from that era, and what you encounter throughout the game. From the gamer perspective it's a hoot.

From what I've heard/read, the pre-war flashbacks with Cooper were set in 2077, so it's a bit of retro-futurism.

I binged the whole season yesterday and loved it. Great story and characters, wonderful production, and intense world-building that made sense to me, someone who has never played a single Fallout game. I found it fairly easy to follow along and understand, but I'm sure fans of the games were constantly doing that Leo-pointing-at-the-screen meme every time a game reference happened.

I'm glad it's getting a second season but that feels like it'll be quite awhile from now.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2024, 09:50:12 AM »
From what I've heard/read, the pre-war flashbacks with Cooper were set in 2077, so it's a bit of retro-futurism.

-Marc.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. Just didn't know what it was called. The bombs fell in 2077, but 2077 as envisioned by the people of the 1950s. The games all have that aesthetic, and it's what makes them interesting, IMO. It's essentially a post-apocalyptic The Jetsons.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
Yeah in the lore of the games (and therefore the show), there was a divergence from our own history sometime between the end of the second world war and the early 1950s, that led to minimal societal progression beyond the 50s. So the aesthetics are all based on the 50s and what they thought the future might look like, and other advancements (technology etc.) are quite different and generally more limited compared with our history.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2024, 12:20:53 PM »
Just now realizing that I totally invented my own head canon for the retro style. I thought it was supposed to be a sort of cultural reversion to some perceived golden era of America to assert themselves against the communists and comfort themselves as a society with a nostalgic aesthetic.

I'm way behind, but I finished the season today. I thought it was great.