Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 147212 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #525 on: March 01, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
I'm on my second listen; it's great! Ted Leonard does a great job on vocals and Jimmy Keegan is excellent on drums. The whole band is impressive and the songwriting is very strong. Not sure why my favorite is yet, but I really like Submerged (haven't heard Ted's original version). Something Very Strange is outstanding as well!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:00:27 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #526 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:28 PM »
After a couple of listens, I'd have to say tracks 4-7 are just back-to-back-to-back-to-back AWESOME. "Submerged" is strong, and then "Afterthoughts" marks the return of the "Thoughts" series as Part 3 in disguise, with amazing GG-inspired vocals! Very Classic Beard and having Neal help write it really sold it!

The last two tracks are two of the best closing tracks the band has done, next to "Harm's Way"/"Flow", at least, in terms of epicness. The closing epic is one of the band's best, and has a definite early-Beard feel, once again, in thanks to Neal's writing. But the whole record sounds like another step in the right direction for the band, a logical step after X (which also featured a partially Neal-penned piece), so even with NDV out of the band, this group managed to continue it's writing style without missing a step. Granted, most of the writing came from Dave, Alan, Stan and John as Ryo's and Nick's contributions had lessened over the years/albums, but it's nice to see that they've decided to keep on going in this direction!

Also - Ted's vocals are astounding! I've never heard a full album with him on it, and this is great stuff! I really REALLY hope this line-up lasts for at least a few more albums. I can see them getting SO good at what they're doing now to last until 2020!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #527 on: March 02, 2013, 12:20:44 AM »
Although I'm a bit skeptical in giving my verdict already after having only heard the new album twice in less than a day, I think I can agree with most of you said. Waiting for Me is indeed epic and gave me the feeling as being the 'best' on the new album, but to compare the two final tracks to Harm's Way and Flow already, is something I can't do yet. Those two are some of the Beard's absolute best in my opinion, so I'll have to let the new album sink in.

Regardless, it has left an amazing impression on me already and I will be listening to this one a lot over the coming weeks.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #528 on: March 02, 2013, 12:29:48 AM »
Although I'm a bit skeptical in giving my verdict already after having only heard the new album twice in less than a day, I think I can agree with most of you said. Waiting for Me is indeed epic and gave me the feeling as being the 'best' on the new album, but to compare the two final tracks to Harm's Way and Flow already, is something I can't do yet. Those two are some of the Beard's absolute best in my opinion, so I'll have to let the new album sink in.

Regardless, it has left an amazing impression on me already and I will be listening to this one a lot over the coming weeks.

I think my comparison was only in that, the closing tracks close the album in an epic fashion similar to HW/F, not that they quite exactly measure up or equally compare. It'll take awhile before I can 'grade' the songs on the album (regular and bonus disc because, while only bonus, some of the 2nd disc tracks are really good!).

I mean, their first album closes with an epic and a short tune, while their second does the opposite. TKOS closes with 2 pretty good epics and their 4th and 5th albums close with side-long pieces. Since then, it's been like The Light on FE and SB9, while Octane ends with short pieces. X sort of came close, but I don't consider "The Man Behind The Curtain" to be really epic, although it is good, I feel like "Something Very Strange" a bit more to it that pushes it to the epic-level.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #529 on: March 02, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »
So far, this album is turning out to be everything I had wanted in a Spock's Beard album, done considerably better than I had hoped it would be done. I am enjoying this a lot.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline adameastment

« Reply #530 on: March 02, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »
No code for me, so I can only assume my money never went through. Frack you, Indiegogo.

The confirmation email should have been sent from indiegogo I'm afraid, I've donated to a couple of projects and both times I've had confirmation emails.

Sorry to hear that though man

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #531 on: March 02, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
No code for me, so I can only assume my money never went through. Frack you, Indiegogo.

The confirmation email should have been sent from indiegogo I'm afraid, I've donated to a couple of projects and both times I've had confirmation emails.

Sorry to hear that though man

S'all good. I mainly just wanted that exclusive bonus track for donating, but I wasn't willing to risk donating twice ($40) just to make sure I got it. I'll still just pick up the 2-disc edition once it's released. I checked my bank account and it was $20 over what I had thought, meaning the money just never went. At the very least, I didn't lose anything.  :lol

Glad to hear all the positive feedback, though. I really liked X and it's always good when you can help contribute to something that genuinely turns out great. (Really, wouldn't it suck if we all donated and the album turned out terrible?) I can't wait to hear it.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #532 on: March 03, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
Got to admit, I only own 5 SB albums (X, V, Octane, Day for Night and Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep) X was my former favourite, however I think Brief Nocturnes takes that now. It's super awesome.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #533 on: March 03, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
^ You're missing out on some awesome stuff from the albums you don't have.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #534 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
Got to admit, I only own 5 SB albums (X, V, Octane, Day for Night and Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep) X was my former favourite, however I think Brief Nocturnes takes that now. It's super awesome.

^ You're missing out on some awesome stuff from the albums you don't have.

What he said - you HAVE to get the first three albums - absolutely essential SB listening! After that, get Snow and Feel Euphoria. Lastly, for completion's sake, get their self-titled 9th album Spock's Beard.

-Marc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #535 on: March 03, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
Lastly, for completion's sake, get their self-titled 9th album Spock's Beard.

And also because it's fucking awesome and - probable controversial opinion incoming - one of their best.
Squ

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #536 on: March 03, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
Lastly, for completion's sake, get their self-titled 9th album Spock's Beard.

And also because it's fucking awesome and - probable controversial opinion incoming - one of their best.

I actually think it's with Feel Euphoria and Day for Night as one of their weakest.

There are some great moments (love the opener, Skeletons at the Feast, as well as the four-part suite--don't remember the name), but it's so damn inconsistent.  There aren't many weak tracks, but there aren't as many strong ones as I'd expect from a Beard album.  The album just seems to lack direction and a cohesive vision.  It meanders.

Octane and X are both more consistent.  Octane is a fun rock album, and I don't think it tries to be much more, while X is every bit the prog album I'd expect from the band.

I haven't picked up their latest, but I think I will today, given the positive reception it has here.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #537 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll get some of them in a few weeks when I have the cash to blow on Music (just put a mass order in for some stuff... Comic Books if I'm honest, my other big cash burner :P)

I shall definitely get round to it next week or the week after ;)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #538 on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
New album is kicking my ass sideways  :eek   :hefdaddy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #539 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
New album is kicking my ass sideways  :eek   :hefdaddy

:tup

Ditto - I keep finding myself switching back and forth between SB's new album and BBT's new album. LOVE BNADS so much right now, and every song is a gem (on the main album). Still gotta let it sink in a bit more, probably for another week or so, but it's promising to equal (or surpass) the likes of Neal-Era SB, and X.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
I listened to the new album just one time and it was enough for me to love. I need to give it a couple more spins but I'm already considering ranking this album in the top 3.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
The melody for the chorus of "Something Very Strange" has been stuck in my head since the first time I heard it  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #542 on: March 04, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
I am really digging this album.  Between the Steven Wilson and this, That's all I've been playing on my 160gb I-Pod. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #543 on: March 04, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
I love it so far. I'm not too sure about the first two songs and the closer yet, but I absolutely adore the middle four at the moment, they just clicked instantly, which was unbelievable. Hopefully the rest will grow on me, that would be epic.  :smiley:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #544 on: March 04, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Being the biggest Enchant fan here, I'm not going to surprise anyone by saying I love this album.  But it's not just Ted...they all brought their A game.  Every spin it is something new catching my ear, which means I'll have reason to keep visiting it.  Well done SB, well done.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #545 on: March 04, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
Love it even more on 2nd spin. I guess Afterthoughts is Thoughts part 4? or the final thoughts part? Either way I love the music on this album a lot! I do have to say having never heard Enchant, didn't know what to expect from the new vocalists. As much as I love his singing on this album I find there is that missing component almost always found in a spock's album that is the fun goofy voice. Nick continued it once Neal left but this new guy as great as his vocals are sounds a bit serious for Spock's. Not a bad thing at all, just an observation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline darkshade

« Reply #546 on: March 04, 2013, 02:51:21 PM »
You guys are getting me excited about the new album. Now I wish I pre-ordered it. Whatever, it'll just be that much better in April, and you'll all be tired of the album bwaaahahahaha

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #547 on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
Love it even more on 2nd spin. I guess Afterthoughts is Thoughts part 4? or the final thoughts part?

"Afterthoughts" is apparently "Thoughts (Part 3)". Parts 1 and 2 were released on Beware Of Darkness and V respectively, while Neal Morse's "Thoughts (Part 5)" was released on last year's Momentum album. Neal titled his Thoughts-song "Part 5" because he wanted to leave room for SB to do "Part 4" in the future (or if they decided not to, then Neal himself could do "Part 4").

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #548 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
Being the biggest Enchant fan here, I'm not going to surprise anyone by saying I love this album.  But it's not just Ted...they all brought their A game.  Every spin it is something new catching my ear, which means I'll have reason to keep visiting it.  Well done SB, well done.

Amen brotha, amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2013, 07:05:40 AM »
When I heard that Ted was going to become their lead singer I was actually a bit worried about it since I'm not the biggest fan of Enchant.

But now that I've heard this new Spock's Beard album a few times my opinion of Ted's vocal abilities has changed quite a bit.  Dude does an awesome job here.  :hat

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
Finally getting around to listening to this album over and over...  It's really good.  For me, it easily surpasses the last several albums and is right up there with some of the Neal albums (not sure it can top V or Snow, but definately as good as the others). 

Offline drew512

« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
This album greatly exceeded my expectations. They can definitely still make great music and I will gladly support them with future funding efforts if they go that route again. Kudos to them for making the lossless audio available in spite of the logistical issues getting the physical media out.

Something Very Strange just slays me every time.  :hefdaddy

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
^So far I think that's my favorite track

Melody Stuck   In   My   Head!

:lol 

Offline TheCritical

• Horse Of A Different Color
  • Can you hear this?
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »
Maybe I have been spoiled by Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson, but somehow I expected more of this album, especially production-wise. Also, some parts (or even some whole songs) seemed to be a fan-pleasing rehash of old times without really adding something new. But still it's actually really enjoyable, I think it might be my favorite of the post-Neal era.

I wrote a review of the album on my blog here (to which some might disagree with me from what I gathered here):
https://wp.me/p36iAh-D

It is a rather strong albums for them, but I hope that the next one will better and different!
my music blog:
The Critical Listener - Music Reviews
https://thecriticallistener.wordpress.com/
Last Review: Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
I keep finding myself singing along to "Submerged" and "Something Very Strange". They are sooooo melodically catchy! I love "Afterthoughts" more and more with each listen, and "Waiting For Me" is continuing to grow on me as my favorite piece of the album.

The first three tracks are good, but they haven't demolished me like the last four, but "In Hiding" is the best of the first 3, IMO, followed by "I Know Your Secret". "A Treasure Abandoned" is the one track on the album that hasn't stuck to me as much as the rest, but I'm sure it will get there.

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
I guess I might just be a fanboy, but I love every track so far.  Haven't felt an urge for one moment to press the skip button, not even the second disc tracks.

I absolutely LOVE the part of "The Man You're Afraid You Are" that begins at 2:33  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
Well, to my surprise, one of the two people I know in real life pre-ordered the CD, and when he offered to burn me a copy this week, I wasn't gonna say no, so.....I've been listening to it the last two days.

To reiterate, I went in with extremely low expectations.  And much to my delight, they have been exceeded by a wide margin. 

The first two songs aren't doing much for me so far, but A Treasure Abandoned, Something Very Strange and Waiting for Me are all sounding really good, and of the bonus tracks, Down a Burning Road is the clear standout thus far.  The Thoughts-like tracks often take a bit of time to grow on me, so Afterthoughts isn't doing a lot for me yet, but time will tell.  Submerged is pretty solid.

BTW, that melody that is dominant during the long intro of Something Very Strange is very The Good Don't Last-ish.

Regarding Ted Leonard, he does a really good job here, although his voice doesn't have the character of Neal's or NDV's, but he does a good enough job.  His range, which is far better than the other two, does allow them to stretch out with the vocals a bit more (like the last several choruses of Something Very Strange), which is good.  There are times where I still think, "This just doesn't sound like the Spock's Beard I am used to," but change can be a good thing. 

Overall, even if my opinion never changes much, this has already far surpassed my admittedly low expectations.  I would definitely say it is better than the two least best NDV-led albums (Octane and s/t) and possibly Day for Night. 

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
So I was blasting the album, and my housemate walks in and asks when the hell the physicals are turning up as something this good must have some damn good art.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #558 on: March 08, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »
Does anyone here like Ted Leonard's vocals more than Neal's or Nick's? Not to diminish their vocal abilities, but I think I'm going to end up liking Ted more in the long run. While I still love his music, I don't really like Neal's vocals as much as I used to (I used to love his vocals; maybe I've been overplaying his material?) and Nick, while a good singer, has never really been a favorite of mine.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #559 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
So I was blasting the album, and my housemate walks in and asks when the hell the physicals are turning up as something this good must have some damn good art.

If you bought the album and downloaded it through their bandcamp site, you SHOULD have the artwork (in PDF format) to view...

-Marc.