Author Topic: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions  (Read 63478 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions
« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
For me, it's harder to compare the lyrics of a project like The Astonishing or even Scenes From a Memory, since the purpose of the lyrics on those projects are slightly different: to move along the plot of the overall story.  In that vein, the lyrics of both are fine - nothing stellar, but not too much awful, either.

Yeah, that too.  The point has been made many times over that lyrical context matters.  I may subjectively prefer deep symbolism and a lot of literary and poetic devices, such as the typical KM lyrics, or some of the lyrics to Voices, for example.  But those types of devices are not appropriate in songs where the lyrics are meant to be a prose narrative.  That style calls for a different type of writing.

Well, consider The Wall, or Operation: Mindcrime, or even American Idiot. Nothing in there is as straightforward and "story-telling" as The Astonishing, and I feel that the ambiguity is better. The fans have endless stuff to speculate on, the cheese factor is lower, the story isn't just handed to you on a silver platter - you have to invest time and work for it. It allows a deeper maturity to emerge, as people can find meaning in the lyrics outside the narrative. I will never be able to relate personally to most songs on The Astonishing, as the story is pushed so far forward the songs can't be about anything except the story.

That's what I find puts me off. SFAM was tons better as far as concept album lyrics go, to my tastes.

That is because those were written as concept albums. TA is written as if it is a musical acted onstage.
This.  Even though the forms seem similar, they aren't the same thing.

The way I understand it is that a rock opera is a story being told through music, whereas a concept album is when a group of songs follow a similar theme. I know this is very vague explanation but there aren't too many things dividing the two. The Astonishing is a rock opera, where Six Degrees could be considered a concept piece. That's probably the most familiar explanation I could give for people here to understand.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
I think most places define a rock opera as a concept album that (1) has a clear narrative, and (2) has dialogue for most or all of the lyrics.

But within that there is plenty of scope for variety. A "rock opera" concept album could be largely the internal narrative of one or two characters, pretty much like those you mentioned. Whereas in form, TA bears much more resemblance to a stage musical, and is deliberately meant as such, with a cast of characters and everything.

Now, that says nothing about the quality of the lyrics for any individual listener, merely that it is a different thing and so some of those comparisons are pretty meaningless.

But then I always prefer to judge things on their own rather than by comparison with other things. I think I'm a little uncommon in that regard.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
The song is great. I have no problem with that at all. Like I said, a few lines in a song aren't going to ruin it for me. It's just discussion, that's all. People get so sensitive over an opinion.  :lol  Sheesh

No, I get it.  It's just a pet peeve of mine when people just throw out a lyric as supposedly an indisputable objective example of "bad lyrics" as if that just somehow settles it and makes the lyric poor.  You probably didn't mean it that way, but like I said...pet peeve.  Personally, I don't feel that DT writes poor lyrics, ever.  There are certainly lyrics I do not like.  There are even occasions where I dare say I have come up with alternate lines that I think may have been improvements (I have a specific line on this very album).  But I would never try to say they are just objectively poorly written. 

Bosky, Bosky, Bosky. :progsnob: It's just my opinion. I could probably close my eyes and point to a dozen instances where people were literally and blatantly bashing the band. I wasn't even close to that. Like you just said, there have been instances where you have come up with a better alternative to a lyric. That's all I was implying, that I felt it could have been written with a bit more thought, but maybe he was going for the obviousness and cliche.

I know.  Like I said, it just happens to be a pet peeve.  Your post wasn't necessarily intended to be in the same vein as those.  I was just a matter of your post happening to be there.  Innocent, your only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2016, 04:58:33 PM »
I think most places define a rock opera as a concept album that (1) has a clear narrative, and (2) has dialogue for most or all of the lyrics.

But within that there is plenty of scope for variety. A "rock opera" concept album could be largely the internal narrative of one or two characters, pretty much like those you mentioned. Whereas in form, TA bears much more resemblance to a stage musical, and is deliberately meant as such, with a cast of characters and everything.

Now, that says nothing about the quality of the lyrics for any individual listener, merely that it is a different thing and so some of those comparisons are pretty meaningless.

But then I always prefer to judge things on their own rather than by comparison with other things. I think I'm a little uncommon in that regard.

That seems reasonable enough. As far as the lyrics, it's all subjective to me. If I say something about the band, it's because of how I feel, not because of how I think it should be. I don't usually criticize Dream Theater's lyrics. As a matter of fact, those lines in A Better Life are the first lyrical passages I've ever expressed distaste for. Well, that and all of Never Enough.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #459 on: February 23, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
And you're right regardless. The context for both songs are completely different. However, they just read as amateurish. That's all. We could compare them to the lyrics in TCOT which is also telling a story. I have no problem with those lyrics. There's something about that line in A Better Life that I just don't like.

Fair enough if you just don't like the line then. I guess it could be a number of things, like predictability (when you hear "Could things be any tougher?", you just know he's going to say yes), the mention of a name in 1st person or the cliche of "you bet your life!". I personally think things like this are offset by the strength of the melodies and the convincing way they are 'acted' out by JLB.

Those particular lines still make me cringe. And the melody for that section is only average too. I think they could have made the same point without it feeling like it's just filling up space.
Then there are other parts such as "my music player" where the amazingness of the music more than compensates for the lyrics.
In general I don't care about lyrics much, but this album has many moments where they're distracting. And I didn't even have a problem with any of the lyrics on BCASL. That said, for the most part the lyrics on TA are fine too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:17:40 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #460 on: February 23, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
If you're not very into musicals, I get why you would be annoyed by some of the lyrics in here. Musicals are known to make *everything* in life a singing moment (like doing the laundry), so you kind of have to be in that state of mind to enjoy 'em.

Whoa now, some musicals might be cheese, but there are plenty with excellent, thoughtful lyrics.  (And I would say the same of DT songs!)  I think lyric writing is not the band's strongest point -- not that their lyrics are consistently bad, just that they're not consistently excellent, and often if I'm feeling a song has one minor flaw, it's lyrical.  But their best lyrics are as good as it gets -- Beneath the Surface, for my money (YMMV).
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2016, 10:22:11 PM »
If you're not very into musicals, I get why you would be annoyed by some of the lyrics in here. Musicals are known to make *everything* in life a singing moment (like doing the laundry), so you kind of have to be in that state of mind to enjoy 'em.

Whoa now, some musicals might be cheese, but there are plenty with excellent, thoughtful lyrics.  (And I would say the same of DT songs!)  I think lyric writing is not the band's strongest point -- not that their lyrics are consistently bad, just that they're not consistently excellent, and often if I'm feeling a song has one minor flaw, it's lyrical.  But their best lyrics are as good as it gets -- Beneath the Surface, for my money (YMMV).
I love musicals myself! I didn't make that comment under any negative light, I just said that in musicals it's not that common to find some thought provoking-metaphysical-reflexive-deep-I'llNeverBeOpenAgain lyrics like the ones DT fans seem to value the most.

And yeah, I'm with you. Beneath the Surface is an example of a well-written song with well-written lyrics that anyone can relate to. It's so beautiful!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2016, 11:47:28 PM »
As a french guy, I'm not offensed by relative "simplicity" of english text, but I think Victor Hugo made us prefer narrative/descriptive rather than direct speech.
For me here is the part that I would have changed :

"Please excuse me;
Sir, can you help me?
Where can I find this man?"
"Sorry, can't speak, someone is waiting"
"Yes, I understand."

If the answer was more useful I would have understand, but I've got the feeling "I've got to pee" would have sounded the same :/
I know this part is to emphasize the fact that she can't find arhys or gabriel in ravenskill
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #463 on: February 24, 2016, 04:24:31 AM »
And you're right regardless. The context for both songs are completely different. However, they just read as amateurish. That's all. We could compare them to the lyrics in TCOT which is also telling a story. I have no problem with those lyrics. There's something about that line in A Better Life that I just don't like.

Fair enough if you just don't like the line then. I guess it could be a number of things, like predictability (when you hear "Could things be any tougher?", you just know he's going to say yes), the mention of a name in 1st person or the cliche of "you bet your life!". I personally think things like this are offset by the strength of the melodies and the convincing way they are 'acted' out by JLB.

Those particular lines still make me cringe. And the melody for that section is only average too. I think they could have made the same point without it feeling like it's just filling up space.
Then there are other parts such as "my music player" where the amazingness of the music more than compensates for the lyrics.
In general I don't care about lyrics much, but this album has many moments where they're distracting. And I didn't even have a problem with any of the lyrics on BCASL. That said, for the most part the lyrics on TA are fine too.

I love the music during the "my music player" part. It sounds really trippy and ethereal. Those lyrics don't bother me as much as the others I was talking about.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #464 on: February 24, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »
"Brother, Can You Hear Me?" is a top 3 TA track, and Act 2 is criminally underrated.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2016, 07:54:30 AM »
I just skip the whole album... :tdwn

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
At this point I would enjoy the album more as an instrumental release because the story is incoherent, unengaging and frankly quite cheesy.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #467 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
Incoherent? I could understand how some would find it unengaging and cheesy (basically, it's not their cup of tea), but incoherent? Come on.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #468 on: February 24, 2016, 05:15:41 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2016, 05:16:21 PM »

Well, consider The Wall, or Operation: Mindcrime, or even American Idiot. Nothing in there is as straightforward and "story-telling" as The Astonishing, and I feel that the ambiguity is better. The fans have endless stuff to speculate on, the cheese factor is lower, the story isn't just handed to you on a silver platter - you have to invest time and work for it. It allows a deeper maturity to emerge, as people can find meaning in the lyrics outside the narrative. I will never be able to relate personally to most songs on The Astonishing, as the story is pushed so far forward the songs can't be about anything except the story.

Really? You can't relate to love, honor, respect, sorrow, jubilation, community?

Nice point Tim, and I'm still waiting for energythief's response.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:55:37 PM by Dream Team »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »

I just imagine him inserting disc 1

:angry: skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip  skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip

removes Disc 1. Inserts Disc 2

:angry:  skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip

removes Disc 2.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »

I just imagine him inserting disc 1

:angry: skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip  skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip

removes Disc 1. Inserts Disc 2

:angry:  skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip

removes Disc 2.

No, I think he means he skips around to the rhythm of the album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »

Really? You can't relate to love, honor, respect, sorrow, jubilation, community?

For me it's not about the topics, but how they're written/handled.
For example, the love story between Gabriel and Faythe seemed superficial to me, maybe she just likes rebelling against her parents and going for the musician bad boy. At least Nafaryus knew this much in ANB. A lot of the other topics are just dealt with in ways that irk me personally.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:01 AM »
Incoherent? I could understand how some would find it unengaging and cheesy (basically, it's not their cup of tea), but incoherent? Come on.

A fair amount of things go unexplained in the story (I'm aware that there's a more detailed version on the official website, but this is taking the album at face value). For example, what exactly were the NOMACs? I felt like it was supposed to be part of a critique from JP on today's music industry, but they were set up to be some sort of plot device and then kind of fell short of anything other than... filler? Another point is (spoilers ahead) the big reveal on the Nafaryus/Faythe arc when it turns out Nafaryus was somehow part of Faythe's "music player" or similar, however the name mentioned (Bug) that makes Faythe react has not occurred earlier in the lyrics, so that ended up feeling like a little messy for me. "Incoherent" might not be the right word, but suffice it to say that some pretty major parts of the story didn't flow together all that well. IMO, of course.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:37 AM »
There's also the thing with Daryus going deaf from the scream.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #475 on: February 25, 2016, 06:32:06 AM »
The "bug" thing is an example of something that probably could have been written a little better. You absolutely need to read the detailed story write-up on DT's site to understand what that word means within the context of the story. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #476 on: February 25, 2016, 06:56:12 AM »

That whole section, yeah. Daryus goes deaf from a scream, but Faythe has headphones on so she's good. Gabriel then becomes Jesus and resurrects Faythe, because he's the Savior.
I think had they alluded to powers of that kind it would have worked, but up until then he's just a dude wanting to sing. Suddenly music being able to resurrect people is total Deus ex machina.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #477 on: February 25, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »
It's like because music helps heal the pain and wounds we feel or something. It's like such a deep meaning man  :hat

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #478 on: February 25, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »
I am a person that often finds that dialouge in film, novels, and sound "too perfectly" written. I have seen dozens of art house films with "fantastic" dialouge in which every person behaves in a completely unnatural manner. Yes, it can be very intruiging when done right, but not every conversation needs to be a poem or have deep symbolism in the world of art. Same goes for happy music versus depressing music. Quite some people are quick to call happy/upbeat stuff total cheese and the dark, depressing moments beautiful touching art. But both represent legitimate aspects of the human psychology.

Rock operas (and definitely musicals) can be very literal and blatant in terms of dialouge, but so am I when I am talking to another person. Trying to make another person clear what my intentions/thoughts are is in fact mostly the whole purpose of having any conversation. I can see why people find certain lyrics cringy (for me it is the music player part that always gets me), but in general the way they were written on TA makes sense to me.

Not judging the actual story content here, btw. I agree it goes a bit too silly out of nowhere towards the end. In fact, I wish they went the route of Gabriels singing inspiring people to change their ways, keep the will to fight for their lives etc., instead of his voice functioning as the eagles in Lord of the Rings and have the healing power of Elven magic. (On a sidenote, I thought The Hunger Games with that Hanging Tree song was a great example of using a song symbolising a rebellion).

"Brother, Can You Hear Me?" is a top 3 TA track, and Act 2 is criminally underrated.

This track, along with Road to Revolution and the title track, have grown massively on me over time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:11:24 AM by ErHaO »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #479 on: February 25, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »

That whole section, yeah. Daryus goes deaf from a scream, but Faythe has headphones on so she's good. Gabriel then becomes Jesus and resurrects Faythe, because he's the Savior.
I think had they alluded to powers of that kind it would have worked, but up until then he's just a dude wanting to sing. Suddenly music being able to resurrect people is total Deus ex machina.

I pretty much agree with all of this, although I guess it doesn't bother me as much because, earlier on, Gabriel is referenced as a "god among us" and a "savior", so the intention all along was probably that he has some kind of magical power. They just didn't flesh it out enough in my opinion.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #480 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:54 PM »

I pretty much agree with all of this, although I guess it doesn't bother me as much because, earlier on, Gabriel is referenced as a "god among us" and a "savior", so the intention all along was probably that he has some kind of magical power. They just didn't flesh it out enough in my opinion.

I didn't think that the Gabriel's music magic plot device was weirdly used either, it was pretty fairly obvious that the gift of music (literally) was somehow connected to the supernatural in that world. Regarding Daryus, JP absolutely dropped the ball in the lyrics; when he disappeared from the story I just kind of assumed that Gabriel killed him, or simply that JP forgot about him.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
Rock operas (and definitely musicals) can be very literal and blatant in terms of dialouge, but so am I when I am talking to another person. Trying to make another person clear what my intentions/thoughts are is in fact mostly the whole purpose of having any conversation. I can see why people find certain lyrics cringy (for me it is the music player part that always gets me), but in general the way they were written on TA makes sense to me.

I think that has less to do with the format and more to do with JPs way of writing.I mean, heck, people still dislike most of his lyrics from e.g. Systematic Chaos (In the Presence of Enemies, The Dark Eternal Night) etc. because of the overly "fantasmic" way he tends to write lyrics. Some were making fun of his full story write-up on the official website in a thread the other day because of the same reason. I personally didn't have too much problem with it before because he was usually not the only one who wrote lyrics, however this time we got an entire double album of his style, and I'm starting to understand where his critics were coming from  :rollin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #482 on: February 25, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »

To be fair, I actually listened straight through its entirety 3 times.  Didn't start skipping until certain tracks popped in on shuffle.  Not really sure I can stomach listening through entirely for a 4th time.  TA is NOT a progressive metal album.  Something I've come to expect from a progressive metal band.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #483 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »
  TA is NOT a progressive metal album.  Something I've come to expect from a progressive metal band.

So the problem is not the album, it's your expectations.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #484 on: February 25, 2016, 05:36:37 PM »
If I gave up on albums after three listens I wouldn't even like half of DT's discography to be honest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #485 on: February 25, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
  TA is NOT a progressive metal album.  Something I've come to expect from a progressive metal band.

So the problem is not the album, it's your expectations.
Which doesn't even begin to address how it somehow isn't a "progressive metal album."  That one baffles me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #486 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
I'm convinced there are some people who simply do not want to like the album, and no matter what happens they will refuse to enjoy it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
I'm convinced there are some people who simply do not want to like the album, and no matter what happens they will refuse to enjoy it.

I don't know. I think people get frustrated when they feel they are let down by something. This album may not appeal to everyone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
The "bug" thing is an example of something that probably could have been written a little better. You absolutely need to read the detailed story write-up on DT's site to understand what that word means within the context of the story. :lol

Yeah, the specific significance of the word "bug' was not explained well,  but there are enough contextual clues in the words to tell you that Nafaryus was the owner of the music player Faythe found. I got it on first listen and what I first thought of was that Nafaryus was the half-blood prince.  :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #489 on: February 25, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »

To be fair, I actually listened straight through its entirety 3 times.  Didn't start skipping until certain tracks popped in on shuffle.  Not really sure I can stomach listening through entirely for a 4th time.  TA is NOT a progressive metal album.  Something I've come to expect from a progressive metal band.

I have the new Redemption cd coming Friday for my progressive metal fix.  :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.