Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 31089 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#18 featured!)
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2023, 11:52:32 AM »
Man you guys are crazy ranking S&A so low. Hope is a better song than a lot of materials that came out of late 80's/early 90's Rush

Offline nick_z

« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2023, 11:52:51 AM »

That’s the thing with SNA. It’s not really bad per se. But I almost never listen to it. Just not one that I have any real excitement for. Roll the Bones, for all it’s faults, still has several classic/essential Rush songs that I frequently revisit. There’s just no one song on Snakes and Arrows that holds that appeal for me.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Actually, I consider VT a much better album, song-wise.

+1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2023, 11:54:01 AM »
I think most of the CD era Rush albums could have played better trimmed down to 45, 50 minutes max.

Couldn't agree more.  You can start by losing Scars, Superconductor and Hand over Fist from Presto.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2023, 11:59:23 AM »
Can't imagine thinking "Hmm, do I want to listen to S&A, or Roll The Bones?" and going "Roll The Bones it is!"   :)
That's just crazy talk.  Roll The Bones is good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
I like it a lot but had it at 18 . A bad Rush album is like bad pizza.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 12:12:08 PM by Glasser »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2023, 12:05:34 PM »
I will say more about Roll the Bones when it is featured here in a couple weeks, but I am definitely in the "it is really good" camp.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2023, 12:08:47 PM »
Jack, relax.  Get busy with the facts.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2023, 12:14:15 PM »
Can't imagine thinking "Hmm, do I want to listen to S&A, or Roll The Bones?" and going "Roll The Bones it is!"   :)

I saw them on that tour, it was incredible! The album is great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2023, 12:17:00 PM »
Shocked to see this so low. Didn't expect it to be in the top half overall, but man, how does this not even beat Vapor Trails from the modern era?

On that note, that was a tough one to rank, not sure if I should rank the original unlistenable version, or the later version which actually allowed me to finally enjoy many of the tunes.

I think 10 years ago their spots likely would have been flipped, but the remix and/or remaster (whichever one prefers, I greatly prefer the remaster) has helped Vapor Trails a ton with both me and seemingly a lot of people, while Snakes & Arrows for me has kind of fallen into the nest with Test for Echo as being a later Rush album that I just don't spin that much.   Because there are no awesome/top tier songs on there, the 13 song total actually works against it, as it gives that "all these songs and not a truly great one in the bunch" feel.  And I say that while acknowledging again that this album has a handful of songs I like a lot, but (looking at post-80s Rush) there is no Dreamline, Leave That Thing Alone or Headlong Flight to be found anywhere near this record. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2023, 12:19:23 PM »
I will say more about Roll the Bones when it is featured here in a couple weeks, but I am definitely in the "it is really good" camp.

So... it finished in the Top Five? ;) :lol

And as for "too long" and a "slog", well, both Vapor Trails and A Clockwork Angels - both inferior albums by my reckoning - are significantly LONGER (4:25 and 3:14, respectively).

That’s the thing with SNA. It’s not really bad per se. But I almost never listen to it. Just not one that I have any real excitement for. Roll the Bones, for all it’s faults, still has several classic/essential Rush songs that I frequently revisit. There’s just no one song on Snakes and Arrows that holds that appeal for me.

Also, even though I love it as a whole, I agree that Vapor Trails could do with some editing. I think most of the CD era Rush albums could have played better trimmed down to 45, 50 minutes max.

Interesting. So, what, from HYF onward, maybe trim each album down to 8-10 songs each? That definitely would've changed how a lot of fans feel about Presto, RTB, TFE, and S&A for sure, all of which I'm going to guess finished in the bottom half of this countdown, but I'm willing to be surprised!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2023, 12:20:26 PM »
Roll the bones and Snakes and arrows were pretty much a tie for me, but I think Roll the bones has stronger highlights. It helps that it's also shorter.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2023, 12:21:22 PM »

Couple WEEKS?!?!? "it's really that good"?? Christ I need a drink

Offline Trav86

« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2023, 12:58:07 PM »

It kicks gluteus max!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline HOF

« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2023, 01:11:09 PM »

So... it finished in the Top Five? ;) :lol

And as for "too long" and a "slog", well, both Vapor Trails and A Clockwork Angels - both inferior albums by my reckoning - are significantly LONGER (4:25 and 3:14, respectively).

Also, even though I love it as a whole, I agree that Vapor Trails could do with some editing. I think most of the CD era Rush albums could have played better trimmed down to 45, 50 minutes max.

Interesting. So, what, from HYF onward, maybe trim each album down to 8-10 songs each? That definitely would've changed how a lot of fans feel about Presto, RTB, TFE, and S&A for sure, all of which I'm going to guess finished in the bottom half of this countdown, but I'm willing to be surprised!

-Marc.

I was more thinking from Counterparts onward (it's 54:00 minutes, with everything before that being 52:00 or less), but you could probably trim things from every album from HYF onward, yeah.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#19 featured!)
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »
The only thing S&A has going for it is that it sounds great. But it has the be the most uninteresting album they've ever made. And to me, the whole Neil Peart is a great lyricist jumped the shark with me on this. Yeah, he writes the bands lyrics and a lot of them are really interesting. OK. You can stop shoving that down my throat now. S&A literally feels like they wrote the music around the lyrics. There's really just nothing going on with this album.

19 Snakes & Arrows
9 Rush

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2023, 01:34:57 PM »

I saw the tour twice and it was jaw-dropping.  The album, on the other hand...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2023, 01:37:17 PM »
WOW! I’m with Stadler. I had this at #9, and how it comes in lower than Roll the Bones or Vapor Trails is just complete madness to me.  I pull this album out more and more as time goes by and I absolutely love it. The 1-2 punch of Hope/Faithless is a particular highlight of the album.

Sorry but I’m dumbfounded by this one.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2023, 01:41:58 PM »
The only thing S&A has going for it is that it sounds great. But it has the be the most uninteresting album they've ever made. And to me, the whole Neil Peart is a great lyricist jumped the shark with me on this. Yeah, he writes the bands lyrics and a lot of them are really interesting. OK. You can stop shoving that down my throat now. S&A literally feels like they wrote the music around the lyrics. There's really just nothing going on with this album.

The Larger Bowl isn't any good?  It's neat how he built that lyric on a pantoum (a type of lyrical poem).  I agree that not all the record is A+ lyrically, but there are some bright spots.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2023, 01:45:35 PM »

The Larger Bowl isn't any good?  It's neat how he built that lyric on a pantoum (a type of lyrical poem).  I agree that not all the record is A+ lyrically, but there are some bright spots.

The Larger Bowl is the perfect example. Here's some lyrics and let's form some music around it. I don't care if it's The Gettysburg Address. If the music sucks, what the hell good are the lyrics?

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the lyrics with my post. I'd be fine opening a book and reading them. But musically, this album blows chunks. The Wild Wind Blows starts off with this awesome bluesy part, and then bam! it's gone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #299 on: June 06, 2023, 01:48:22 PM »
S&A is pretty okay, I agree that it's sometimes a slog to get through. It's like Far Cry sets up this amazing energy and then the rest doesn't live up to how great that song is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: June 06, 2023, 01:49:35 PM »
Far Cry is a good song.

Offline HOF

« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2023, 01:52:25 PM »

The Larger Bowl is the perfect example. Here's some lyrics and let's form some music around it. I don't care if it's The Gettysburg Address. If the music sucks, what the hell good are the lyrics?

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the lyrics with my post. I'd be fine opening a book and reading them. But musically, this album blows chunks. The Wild Wind Blows starts off with this awesome bluesy part, and then bam! it's gone.

Heh, I remember reading the lyrics to Working Them Angels in Neil’s book Traveling Music before the album came out and thinking they were pretty good. And then I heard the song and thought they didn’t really execute on a good idea there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: June 06, 2023, 02:00:51 PM »

So you're saying The Way The Wind Blows Sucks? 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #303 on: June 06, 2023, 02:02:17 PM »
WOW! I’m with Stadler. I had this at #9, and how it comes in lower than Roll the Bones or Vapor Trails is just complete madness to me.  I pull this album out more and more as time goes by and I absolutely love it. The 1-2 punch of Hope/Faithless is a particular highlight of the album.

Roll The Bones and Vapor Trails are completely different animals... Respectfully  :)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #304 on: June 06, 2023, 02:03:38 PM »

It doesn't Suck, it Blows?! :neverusethis:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #305 on: June 06, 2023, 02:26:59 PM »

Couple WEEKS?!?!? "it's really that good"?? Christ I need a drink

Maybe I am kidding, maybe I am not. :P  :corn

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: June 06, 2023, 02:29:40 PM »
I had this album at 16.  Later day Rush really wasn't my thing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #307 on: June 06, 2023, 02:41:10 PM »

Roll The Bones and Vapor Trails are completely different animals... Respectfully  :)

Well, they have similarities. Like how subpar they are for example.  :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: June 06, 2023, 02:42:38 PM »

Wow!  :lol

Yes!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: June 06, 2023, 02:52:59 PM »
He's saying The Way the Wind Blows.....blows.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online faizoff

« Reply #310 on: June 06, 2023, 02:56:25 PM »
16  Rush
10 Snakes And Arrows

Exact same ranking so far for me. I really enjoyed S&A, I had gotten into Rush big time just after VT came out and I remember hearing that teaser of Far Cry with the Hemisphere chord. Though for me the first two tracks are the highlight of the album followed by the instrumentals. Doing a full listen of the band and really enjoying it, might listen out of order and spin S&A next.

16  Rush
10 Snakes And Arrows
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #311 on: June 06, 2023, 03:03:14 PM »
The Way the Tim Blows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: June 06, 2023, 03:07:46 PM »
The Way the Tim Blows.

starts off with this awesome bluesy part, and then bam! it's gone.

:lol

Online The Realm

« Reply #313 on: June 06, 2023, 03:11:09 PM »
Snakes & Arrows - number 18 for me. Just not an album I really connect with or listen to at all.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #314 on: June 06, 2023, 03:15:09 PM »

Yep.  Great lyrics can make a good song great, and crappy lyrics can make a great song good (or worse), but great lyrics can't make a bad/mediocre song good.  That said, I don't think the lyrics to the Larger Bowl are at all interesting.  It's a lot of the same lines repeated over and over and over.

And, by the way, I'm almost positive that most, if not all, 21st century Rush songs were created by taking lyrics that Neil had written independently of the music and trying to fit them into music that Geddy and Alex had written (as opposed to writing the music and then writing lyrics to fit it or taking existing lyrics and writing music around them).

I saw the tour twice and it was jaw-dropping.  The album, on the other hand...

Fo shizzle.  The best thing about the tour was that only 5 of the 20+ songs were from RTB, and one was the instrumental (on the other hand, they never played the best song from the album).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung