Author Topic: Six Degrees Of Dream Theater  (Read 4170 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Six Degrees Of Dream Theater
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:12:40 AM »
Hey guys, I just came up with an idea for a game that I want to try. The idea is basically like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but with Dream Theater. So someone names a random artist, and it's up to another person, in six steps or less, describe how this artist is affiliated with DT. It can't be stuff like "Rush was a big influence on DT", or "They were both on Gigantour" it has to be through actual business affiliations. For example, if someone says Ill Niño.

Ill Niño had an album with Bob Marlette on piano
Bob Marlette played on and arranged and album for Alice Cooper
Alice Cooper played and recorded with Derek Sherininan
Derek Sherinian is a former keyboard player for Dream Theater

Stuff like that, so the links basically have to be through actual business collaborations and partnerships, but aside from that, it could be anything, could be through management, through side projects, engineers, etc. (and considering how many people MP worked with, it's gonna be difficult to make it a challenge, haha). Once the person comes up with the links and establishes it, they can go ahead and name the next artist.

And just to be clear, all the degrees have to be named by a single person. It's not like one person just randomly says, "Well they worked with such and such," and then the next person would have to find HOW that second link may or may not connect to DT.

Let's start with...

Judas Priest
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Six Degrees Of Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:29:45 AM »
Jack "The Ripper" Owens appears on Octavarium.

..am I doing it right?
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:36:09 AM »
Judas Priest's album Stained Class featured the song "Better By You, Better Than Me", which was engineered by Paul Northfield.
Paul Northfield engineered Dream Theater's first three albums with Road Runner Records (SC, BC&SL and ADTOE).

Next up - Jethro Tull (to keep the J-thing going on...)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 01:45:07 AM »
Ian Anderson wrote TAAB 2 as a result of some kind of a friendly bet with Derek Shulman formerly of Gentle Giant. Derek Shulman as an industry executive, signed DT and made IAW a reality.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 02:00:51 AM »
Ian Anderson wrote TAAB 2 as a result of some kind of a friendly bet with Derek Shulman formerly of Gentle Giant. Derek Shulman as an industry executive, signed DT and made IAW a reality.

I'm not sure if "making a friendly bet" constitutes "actual business collaborations and partnerships". I think the OP was looking more for literally working together, in the studio, either as fellow musicians, engineers or producers.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 03:23:12 AM »
Okay then:
1. Eddie Jobson played with Tull
2. Marco Minnemann played with Eddie in UKZ
3. Marco played in Rudess/Levin/Minneman
4. Jordan Rudess plays in DT :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:38:49 AM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »
Oh damn, I didn't even know a site like that existed... Well, so much for testing people's knowledge of the industry, or their willingness to do some actual research.  :-\

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
I know... I am a horrible person for bringing that link in here.

Honestly a few years ago I spent several hours looking up connections to every band I could think of. It usually came down to a connection with Tony Levin / Morgestein some how
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
still a good game! We should play it and just say don't go to that site when playing  :-\

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
Ok. I got one.

Styx and Dream Theater!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Styx had a couple of album artworks done by Hugh Syme
Hugh Syme did a whole bunch of Dream Theater album covers

This one was tough though. I was just randomly scrolling through Styx's album credits, trying to find a familiar name and checking random names to see if THEY had anything familiar.

Umm...

Duran Duran?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Oh god this is a tough one.

John Taylor plays bass in Duran Duran
John Taylor played in The Power Station w/ Robert Palmer
Guy Pratt played bass on a Robert Palmer song
Guy Pratt replaced Roger Waters in Pink Floyd on bass duties
Pink Floyd worked with Hipgnosis/ Storm Thorgerson on a ton of album covers
Storm Thorgeson designed the cover for Falling Into Infinity (which was originally put together as an idea for Division Bell)

No cheating on that one besides doing what you just did. Once I was able to make the connection to Robert Palmer it was all over :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline adamack

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
Awesome thread! I suck with stuff like this, but it will be a fun thread to follow.

Oh damn, I didn't even know a site like that existed... Well, so much for testing people's knowledge of the industry, or their willingness to do some actual research.  :-\

First time I've seen this site too...pretty slick, I like it! Kinda hurts the thread though  :-\

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »
Forget it ever existed. :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Awesome thread! I suck with stuff like this, but it will be a fun thread to follow.

First time I've seen this site too...pretty slick, I like it! Kinda hurts the thread though  :-\
We can always just check back whether the answer came from there and disqualify it accordingly.  :biggrin:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »

Well, hopefully, MOST of the connections will be made in LESS than 6 degrees, then we'll know they didn't use the site, because the site is 6 degrees specific.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »
Got another one.

Dio to Dream Theater

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
Got another one.

Dio to Dream Theater
Dio was in Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Ritchie was in Deep Purple. Deep Purple had Joe Satriani. Joe Satriani was in G3. As was John Petrucci.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer to DT.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Easy

Carl Palmer plays drums in ELP
Carl Palmer and Jordan Rudess recently played Tarkus together at an awards show in Vegas
Jordan Rudess is God

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
Alternative one:

- Greg Lake played bass on a The Who song
- Simon Phillips played with Pete Townsend
- Derek Sherinian played with Simon Phillips

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
:clap:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
Nice (pun intended), I couldn't have done it without King Crimson.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
So what's the new one?

I'll post one: Meshuggah to DT, go!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
Frederik Thordendal played with Morgan Agren
Morgan Agren played with Steve Vai
Vai played with both Mangini and Petrucci ;)

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »
Remember to post a new one, guys! I'll throw it in this time

The Pineapple Thief to Dream Theater

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
Frederik Thordendal played with Morgan Agren
Morgan Agren played with Steve Vai
Vai played with both Mangini and Petrucci ;)

Ah of course, Agren. I thought of Fredrik Thorendal guesting with Devin Townsend, and then via Steve Vai, but there must be more links with DT and DT.
So come on, make up another one :)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »
Remember to post a new one, guys! I'll throw it in this time

The Pineapple Thief to Dream Theater
The Pineapple Thief had artwork done by Storm Thorgerson.
Storm Thorgerson did artwork for Dream Theater.

Neeeext: Beethoven to Dream Theater
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline adamack

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »

Well, hopefully, MOST of the connections will be made in LESS than 6 degrees, then we'll know they didn't use the site, because the site is 6 degrees specific.

We can always just check back whether the answer came from there and disqualify it accordingly.  :biggrin:

Good points! The thread is officially revived and untainted  :tup

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

Beethoven was one of the many people whose DNA was used in a science experiment to create the perfect pianist, resulting in the birth of Jordan Rudess.  :yarr

Uriah Heep to Dream Theater... Hopefully someone here know who I'm talking about at least.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »

Beethoven was one of the many people whose DNA was used in a science experiment to create the perfect pianist, resulting in the birth of Jordan Rudess.  :yarr

Uriah Heep to Dream Theater... Hopefully someone here know who I'm talking about at least.

Oh come on  :lol I'll do it twice.

Beethoven composed Rage Over a Lost Penny
Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater's keyboardist) plays Rage Over a Lost Penny in the LSFNY DVD.

Uriah Heep had John Wetton as its bassist for about a year
John Wetton played bass for King Crimson
King Crimson had Tony Levin as a bassist
Tony Levin is the bass player for Levin-Minnemann-Rudess
Rudess is Dream Theater's keyboardist.

My turn: Sigur Rós to Dream Theater.

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Sigur Rós's songs "Ágætis byrjun" and "Svefn-g-englar" appeared on "Vanilla Sky"
The main character of "Vanilla Sky" is Tom Cruise
Tom Cruise also appears on "Magnolia"
Some scenes of "Magnolia" are included as audio in DT's song "Honor Thy Father"

This one can be solved in one step, let see if someone gets it. :biggrin:

Joss Stone to Dream Theater

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
Joss Stone was in the movie Eragon.
Avril Lavigne was featured on the Eragon soundtrack.
Chad Kroeger has had sex with Avril Lavigne.
Dream Theater is better than Nickelback.    :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
Cool ass game.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
This one can be solved in one step, let see if someone gets it. :biggrin:

Joss Stone to Dream Theater

After some Wikipedia digging, I think I've got it.

Joss Stone's first two albums were (at the very least partially) recorded at The Hit Factory, which is where Octavarium was recorded.

EDIT: Or the fact that for those same two albums, Mike Mangini was involved as a producer. That's probably it actually.

Okay, now I'll choose one...
Elvis Presley to Dream Theater