Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 385165 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything in 2013)
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
Ska-bump!

No news.......anyone?  :'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #421 on: June 03, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
I checked Arjen's website last night. Nothing so far. I did read that he's only working with vocalists he hasn't used before, so that could be interesting.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #422 on: June 03, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »
Yea I heard that. Maybe Ross Jennings or Michael Eriksen would be interesting!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #423 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
But... I want Anneke in another Ayreon album!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #424 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:58 AM »
I've been meaning to get into this band/project for a while, but the huge cast of special guests on the albums kind of turns me off. I've noticed that they've used some of my favorite singers, like Anneke van Giersbergen, but it sounds kind of gimmicky to be honest. I'm not sure if this will make any sense but are all the vocalists used well, like on Devin Townsend's Deconstruction where they all blend in with the music as if they're band members, or does it sound like they're just there for the sake of having an all-star cast?

Well, I'm probably a bit of an Arjen fanboy, but I've always thought that the vocalists were utilized very well. If you're new to Ayreon, I'd recommend you check out The Human Equation first, as most people consider it his best.

I really like 01011001 as well, but there are so many singers on that one, none of them have space.

That's my (slightly) educated opinion. Hope it helps.

I would say, with the exception of 01, one of Arjen's greatest talents has been getting the most out of vocalists and making them shine. And Anneke is fantastic with Ayreon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: June 03, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
The Human Equation hasn't aged well with me. It IS the best vocalist utilization/line-up on any Ayreon album, but instrumentally it just isn't as good as the others. For that, I have to turn to Electric Castle.

Though, yeah, I don't turn to Ayreon very much at all, and barely listened to Ajren's solo record.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #426 on: June 03, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
I've been meaning to get into this band/project for a while, but the huge cast of special guests on the albums kind of turns me off. I've noticed that they've used some of my favorite singers, like Anneke van Giersbergen, but it sounds kind of gimmicky to be honest. I'm not sure if this will make any sense but are all the vocalists used well, like on Devin Townsend's Deconstruction where they all blend in with the music as if they're band members, or does it sound like they're just there for the sake of having an all-star cast?

Well, I'm probably a bit of an Arjen fanboy, but I've always thought that the vocalists were utilized very well. If you're new to Ayreon, I'd recommend you check out The Human Equation first, as most people consider it his best.

I really like 01011001 as well, but there are so many singers on that one, none of them have space.

That's my (slightly) educated opinion. Hope it helps.
I didn't see this until today, but I still haven't checked ou Ayreon. I'll add THE to my wish list. Thanks!

(edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:27:40 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #427 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:46 AM »
No problem, man.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #428 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
Ed Warby, drummer for Ayreon, posted this on his facebook yesterday.

Setting up for Ayreon recordings at Sandlane Recording Facilities — met Maarten de Peijper.

Knowing Ed, drums for the new Ayreon are being recorded as we speak!  :metal :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #429 on: June 03, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
^^That was exactly what i needed, thanks!  :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #430 on: June 03, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
Back to the vocalist thing-I prefer when albums have guest singers performing the vocals that you get, at most, two in a song. It was kind of getting to the point with Aryeon in particular where every song was being sung by so many people you needed charts to keep track of them, and I think that's one of the reasons I kind of soured on Arjen Lucassen's music, it became, for lack of a better word, gimmicky. There's also the problem where he plays damn near every instrument, uses the same drummer over and over, and the albums are all produced identically. It's like, why buy a new one when I got the Universal Migrator Pt 2 right there?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:12 AM »
Mmmm....things are moving fast.....

Finished song #2 which puts us... halfway  :-X
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #432 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:34 AM »
Back to the vocalist thing-I prefer when albums have guest singers performing the vocals that you get, at most, two in a song. It was kind of getting to the point with Aryeon in particular where every song was being sung by so many people you needed charts to keep track of them, and I think that's one of the reasons I kind of soured on Arjen Lucassen's music, it became, for lack of a better word, gimmicky. There's also the problem where he plays damn near every instrument, uses the same drummer over and over, and the albums are all produced identically. It's like, why buy a new one when I got the Universal Migrator Pt 2 right there?

Yeah, he´s practically professed to this himself in several interviews. As for the working with the same drummer thing...that´s just a luxury problem, Ed´s one of best, diverse rock-prog-metaldrummers in the country. So why change?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
Mmmm....things are moving fast.....

Finished song #2 which puts us... halfway  :-X
Halfway? what does he mean?....he only plays on 4 tracks?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #434 on: June 04, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
Maybe there only is 4 tracks :metal
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #435 on: June 04, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
that would really surprise me
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »
Well he confirmed that it's a double album so only 4 track is unlikely unless he's gone major prog on us.  :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #437 on: June 05, 2013, 12:54:53 AM »
Well he confirmed that it's a double album so only 4 track is unlikely unless he's gone major prog on us.  :lol

It's his version of Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did that - it would be an amazing departure to the usual concept album format he follows. By doing 4 epics of 20-30 minutes in length, he automatically sets up the vinyl release by doing four sides, one for each song. I'd be interested in hearing epics with multiple vocalists in them, rather than single shorter songs with one or two vocalists being featured.

If Arjen has gone 'major prog' on us, you can bet that his album MIGHT have four SONGS, but they may be tracked by their movements to allow for easier digestion and listening. Each epic may have 4-7 parts, so really, the album could have up towards 25-28 tracks, but still only 4 songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #438 on: June 05, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »

It's his version of Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did that - it would be an amazing departure to the usual concept album format he follows. By doing 4 epics of 20-30 minutes in length, he automatically sets up the vinyl release by doing four sides, one for each song. I'd be interested in hearing epics with multiple vocalists in them, rather than single shorter songs with one or two vocalists being featured.

If Arjen has gone 'major prog' on us, you can bet that his album MIGHT have four SONGS, but they may be tracked by their movements to allow for easier digestion and listening. Each epic may have 4-7 parts, so really, the album could have up towards 25-28 tracks, but still only 4 songs.

-Marc.
I fully agree, i would totally accept that!  :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #439 on: June 05, 2013, 04:07:19 AM »
If I read the ´between the lines comments´ right, that first song might have been a half hour long, so.....  :omg:

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #440 on: June 05, 2013, 04:14:16 AM »
Oh man, I'm getting real pumped now :metal (pr0gbanging)
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #441 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
...or maybe he's just recording the songs out of order, and by song #2 he means the second song on the album, not the 2nd song he recorded. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #442 on: June 05, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
It'd be unusual for Arjen to do a really long song. He normally doesn't go much past 10-12 minutes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #443 on: June 05, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
...or maybe he's just recording the songs out of order, and by song #2 he means the second song on the album, not the 2nd song he recorded. :P
Yea but he said "halfway"!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #444 on: June 06, 2013, 05:47:03 AM »
What´s also possible, is that there´s other drummer(s) involved. But who knows...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #445 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:17 AM »
Another quote from Ed:

´People who know me well are no doubt aware that I'm hardly ever satisfied with my own work, but I gotta say I'm quite proud of the Ayreon recordings we did this week. As usual Arjen and I worked out the arrangements together, in that weird semi-telepathic way, and there's lots of cool, inventive stuff going on!

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.´

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: June 07, 2013, 03:56:58 AM »
^^Awesome! And also:

Quote from: Arjen
We finished recording drums for the new Ayreon album. As expected Ed Warby did an AMAZING job again!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #447 on: June 07, 2013, 03:57:47 AM »

Arjen: We finished recording drums for the new Ayreon album. As expected Ed Warby did an AMAZING job again!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:00 AM »
Man,this is gonna be good.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #449 on: June 07, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #450 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
All right! Won't be long now.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »

Creation!!!  — met Arjen Anthony Lucassen. (posted by René Luyt (studio-tech)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #452 on: June 18, 2013, 03:06:14 AM »
Small studio report from Arjen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1N2_YVCGbA

I felt some Into The Electric Castle vibes over that. Interesting!  :coolio

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #453 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:30 AM »
That violin part sounded so sweet!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:46 AM »
Came to post that. Most of it sounds pretty cool, some of it, a liiittle less cool.