Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314907 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3255 on: October 03, 2023, 02:20:56 PM »
That's interesting, wonder how that ended up being a thing.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3256 on: October 03, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »
rumor has it MP is looking for a condo on the river in chicago..
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3257 on: October 03, 2023, 02:49:02 PM »
 :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online PMSummer

« Reply #3258 on: October 03, 2023, 02:51:43 PM »
Just been lurking in this thread but gotta say this comment had me in stitches  😂

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3259 on: October 03, 2023, 09:24:13 PM »
MP is friends with Kris Myers. Kris had to have surgery and has been on the shelf for a bit. I believe MP got a thanks in the liner notes for Anchor Drops from Kris.

I just bought tickets to the show. I haven't seen UM in ages and this is a can't miss event for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3260 on: October 03, 2023, 11:40:59 PM »
that would be cool to see even if I have reservations about Umphrey's McGee live (too many long winded jam-band cliches at times).

I would be curious what covers they may do. I also don't recall what MP's take on many of the other UM albums is beyond Anchor Drops, namely Mantis. I'd be curious if they play something from that.

« Reply #3261 on: October 04, 2023, 07:19:58 AM »
UM plays Mantis (the song) regularly so you can probably bet on that if it's one MP is outspoken about
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3262 on: October 04, 2023, 08:02:55 AM »
I don't like Umphrey's very much from what I've heard, but it's exciting to see MP do something totally out of left field with musicians that aren't part of his usual sphere. Hope this means more surprises in the future!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: October 04, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »
MP is friends with Kris Myers. Kris had to have surgery and has been on the shelf for a bit. I believe MP got a thanks in the liner notes for Anchor Drops from Kris.

I just bought tickets to the show. I haven't seen UM in ages and this is a can't miss event for me.

Ah, that makes sense.  Very cool even if they are a bit too jam bandy for my tastes, they are certainly talented.  If the show were local to me I'd consider going.

« Reply #3264 on: October 04, 2023, 08:16:55 AM »
honestly it's cool MP is doing this, he's probably one of a handful of drummers that could actually keep up with kris meyers technically speaking (seriously KM is a god damned beast). hopefully UM fans become MP/DT fans from this collab and vice versa! always nice to see the prog metal jam band bridge grow strong!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3265 on: October 04, 2023, 08:33:19 AM »
Gotta assume we get a Wizard Burial Ground with MP. That would be fantastic. Knowing UM, they will probably throw something in there regarding MP. Maybe some LTE or Ytse Jam or something like that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

« Reply #3266 on: October 04, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »
Gotta assume we get a Wizard Burial Ground with MP. That would be fantastic. Knowing UM, they will probably throw something in there regarding MP. Maybe some LTE or Ytse Jam or something like that.

yeah, UM does so many covers, and so many impromptu-one-time-only covers there is almost certainly a chance they cover a MP-era DT song with him
Welcome to the Forums!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3267 on: October 04, 2023, 08:56:27 AM »
I would LOVE to see this show.  UM is awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3268 on: October 04, 2023, 09:06:49 AM »

Whoa! That's so cool that Mike relocated to Chicago!!!  Good for him!

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3269 on: October 04, 2023, 09:42:08 AM »
WhT is the Chicago reference?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3270 on: October 04, 2023, 09:42:43 AM »
I mean, Charlie Benante relocated here years ago from New York. He was always coming here to see shows because he said the vibe and the crowds were more passionate than in NY so he just decided to move here. He's been in the suburbs and maybe MP will move into his neighborhood.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: October 04, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »

Chicago is a band that had a lot of hit songs in the 70s and 80s.  Apparently, MP is going to join the band as their new trombone player.

Online HOF

« Reply #3272 on: October 04, 2023, 09:52:23 AM »

See the discussion of Mike moving to Seattle a page or two back!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3273 on: October 04, 2023, 09:53:16 AM »
I mean, Charlie Benante relocated here years ago from New York. He was always coming here to see shows because he said the vibe and the crowds were more passionate than in NY so he just decided to move here. He's been in the suburbs and maybe MP will move into his neighborhood.

I saw Charlie and his girlfriend (Carla Harvey) on a Metra train, pre-pandemic.  I was so confused - I figured he lived in an area like Naperville or St. Charles, but they were on a train headed north to Lake County.  WTF is the drummer from Anthrax doing on my train?

Turns out he lives in Long Grove.   :facepalm:   I snuck a few pictures and didn't bother them, despite completely geeking out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: October 04, 2023, 09:58:43 AM »
Anybody else miss Mike his engagement with the fans, like the Christmas morning eastereggs or the twitter Q&A’s?
He used to be so invested in the fan base and it was a ton of fun to discover some of his insights or gain knowledge of what he’s up to.
Maybe I’m nostalgic, but I sure miss it

Mike was someone I considered a friend many moons ago. We actually spoke almost every day at one point and it was mutual. I understand people change and have their own lives BUT to do a total 180 is just sad. I know he had his demons and when his father passed it crushed him, they were VERY close. Life can be bittering but when you have legions of devoted fans courtesy shouldn't be that hard no matter what.

So... I really hesitate to write this, because I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful or that I'm bashing him, because I'm not.  All things are relative, because he's still reasonably open and welcoming, but I've met him twice now in the last, say, five years, and compared to hearing the stories and seeing some of the old videos... something seems different.  I don't know if he's more guarded following the split - there was some online activity just following the split that I to this day maintain may have crossed the line to criminal - but he just doesn't seem to be as present.  I'm sure some of it is age - we're the same age by a few months - and some of it is just that it's not new anymore; how many times can you look enthused to hear "Hey bro! When are the Winery Dogs coming back?!?", and some of it has to do with the fact that we're dealing with adult things now (his relationship to his ex-band members, etcetera).  Or maybe, in fact, it's me, and I'm not being objective enough.  Who knows? But it's something that crossed my mind... 

« Reply #3275 on: October 04, 2023, 09:59:28 AM »
I would LOVE to see this show.  UM is awesome.

love me some UM :metal

i've seen them about 15 times live. mostly at Red Rocks since they do a lot of 2-4 night runs here in CO.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3276 on: October 04, 2023, 12:05:52 PM »
Anybody else miss Mike his engagement with the fans, like the Christmas morning eastereggs or the twitter Q&A’s?
He used to be so invested in the fan base and it was a ton of fun to discover some of his insights or gain knowledge of what he’s up to.

Mike was someone I considered a friend many moons ago. We actually spoke almost every day at one point and it was mutual. I understand people change and have their own lives BUT to do a total 180 is just sad. I know he had his demons and when his father passed it crushed him, they were VERY close. Life can be bittering but when you have legions of devoted fans courtesy shouldn't be that hard no matter what.

So... I really hesitate to write this, because I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful or that I'm bashing him, because I'm not.  All things are relative, because he's still reasonably open and welcoming, but I've met him twice now in the last, say, five years, and compared to hearing the stories and seeing some of the old videos... something seems different.  I don't know if he's more guarded following the split - there was some online activity just following the split that I to this day maintain may have crossed the line to criminal - but he just doesn't seem to be as present.  I'm sure some of it is age - we're the same age by a few months - and some of it is just that it's not new anymore; how many times can you look enthused to hear "Hey bro! When are the Winery Dogs coming back?!?", and some of it has to do with the fact that we're dealing with adult things now (his relationship to his ex-band members, etcetera).  Or maybe, in fact, it's me, and I'm not being objective enough.  Who knows? But it's something that crossed my mind...

All very valid points. Guarded and adult things are just life progressing. I guess I am bummed because a hello how are you every once in a while wouldn't take much but I get it, who the hell am I to him now? Its similar to Childhood friends that just moved on, nothing personal. My beef is not in the NOW but he turned on me personally before Awake was even released and it just seemed flakey. I would run into his wife Marlene at the shows and once in a local mall and she was still very kind and genuinely interested in reminiscing about the many times we all hung out. I was basically at every Meanstreak show in NY and was friends with all of them, they were awesome and so friendly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3277 on: October 04, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »

I saw Charlie and his girlfriend (Carla Harvey) on a Metra train, pre-pandemic.

And no pictures of Carla?!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3278 on: October 04, 2023, 12:14:56 PM »

Haha.  At the time, I didn't know who she was, since I don't listen to Butcher Babies and had no idea that they were dating.  I only uploaded my pic of Charlie to Facebook.

This was them on the train. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: October 04, 2023, 12:18:03 PM »
 :lol nice, I only recently knew who she was and that those two were a thing from social media.  She's a good looking lady, good for him.

« Reply #3280 on: October 04, 2023, 12:31:59 PM »

i made some fanart of mike portnoy looking for some real estate in seattle
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3281 on: October 04, 2023, 12:38:47 PM »
Really milking that joke, huh?

Also is that you in the pic? Or is that AI generated?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3282 on: October 04, 2023, 12:44:30 PM »

Welcome to the Forums!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3283 on: October 04, 2023, 12:47:56 PM »
What's the difference?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3284 on: October 04, 2023, 12:50:37 PM »
What's the difference?

Is that Bumblefoot?  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #3285 on: October 04, 2023, 12:51:14 PM »

AI love child of Serj Tankian and MP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: October 04, 2023, 12:51:22 PM »

Haha.  At the time, I didn't know who she was, since I don't listen to Butcher Babies and had no idea that they were dating.  I only uploaded my pic of Charlie to Facebook.

This was them on the train. 

HAHAHA, it looks like you're peering down in their sunroof!!  :)

(Cool pic, though).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3287 on: October 04, 2023, 12:52:38 PM »

Whoever it is, it looks like a Smurf had their way with him.

« Reply #3288 on: October 04, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »

AI love child of Serj Tankian and MP

:lol had the same thought
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3289 on: October 04, 2023, 07:23:02 PM »

Never had an account, but I did like to check in every few months and scroll through.  But it seems like you can't look at anything on there without having an account. So in a general way, yeah, I miss being able to do that because I choose not to register.