Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314932 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2135 on: June 03, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
Yes, there's a chance MP returns. It's about the same as Mary Swanson falling in love and getting together with Lloyd Christmas.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2136 on: June 03, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »
...but the LTE thing certainly shortens the odds in my opinion.

You keep saying that, but there is no connection whatsoever between LTE and any factors that would lead to MP coming back to DT.  I don't know why you are making that leap.  I don't see how LTE moves the needle at all on MP somehow returning.
I understand why you're saying this (and I agree with you, in these circumstances), but it wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. Not even going back to LTE1 time, people being concerned about what it meant for Dream Theater that Mike was playing with Avenged Sevenfold and "having the most fun ever" were actually right.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2137 on: June 03, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »
Switching gears on the LTE/MP/DT return discussion, I'm massively enjoying MP's album recommendation Alter Echo from Dizzy Mizz Lizzy. Some music hitting all the sweet spots right now.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2138 on: June 03, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
...but the LTE thing certainly shortens the odds in my opinion.

You keep saying that, but there is no connection whatsoever between LTE and any factors that would lead to MP coming back to DT.  I don't know why you are making that leap.  I don't see how LTE moves the needle at all on MP somehow returning.
I understand why you're saying this (and I agree with you, in these circumstances), but it wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. Not even going back to LTE1 time, people being concerned about what it meant for Dream Theater that Mike was playing with Avenged Sevenfold and "having the most fun ever" were actually right.

And I understand why you are saying what you are saying.  But while, yes, this wouldn't be the first time, an LTE reunion in and of itself isn't likely to the thing that moves the needle very much.  Yeah, the A7X thing is a good example.  But here's the thing with that:  That again only really addresses the MP side of things.  And he's a guy that, as we have seen through the years, often reacts based on emotion (and that is not a criticism--he admits to being the kind of guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, doesn't censor whatever is rattling around in his mind, etc.).  As far as his own feelings are concerned, heck yeah it could rekindle something that could make him long to be back in DT.  But that is largely irrelevant, because the real question is whether it would be enough to move the other 4 members of DT to make an offer or to seriously consider overtures from Mike.  And that is, again, where I don't see LTE moving the needle more than a tiny, tiny bit.  Those 4, for the most part, are much more cold and calculating, and less likely to be swayed by a temporary emotional high. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2139 on: June 03, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »
Hypothetically speaking. If MP returned to DT at some point, would he even be remotely interested in learning the material from the MM era for live applications? That might present a problem. I'm sure MP could pull it off but that would be a trial by fire scenario.

Back to reality, I'm stoked about a LTE reunion with new material.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2140 on: June 03, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
Hypothetically speaking. If MP returned to DT at some point, would he even be remotely interested in learning the material from the MM era for live applications? That might present a problem. I'm sure MP could pull it off but that would be a trial by fire scenario.

I'm sure he would be fine.  There are some things he couldn't play exactly like MM does.  But there are some things MM does that NOBODY can play exactly like he does.  But MP is a beast of a drummer, and could absolutely do the material justice, even if he would change some things up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online HOF

« Reply #2141 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »
Switching gears on the LTE/MP/DT return discussion, I'm massively enjoying MP's album recommendation Alter Echo from Dizzy Mizz Lizzy. Some music hitting all the sweet spots right now.

I saw that post last night and checked out a few of those tracks. I couldn’t quite see where he got his description of the music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2142 on: June 03, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »
Maybe Portnoy underplaying Mangini's original drum parts would make up for years of Rudess overplaying Moore's and Sherinian's original keyboard parts. :P

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2143 on: June 03, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »

I'm sure he would be fine.  There are some things he couldn't play exactly like MM does.  But there are some things MM does that NOBODY can play exactly like he does.  But MP is a beast of a drummer, and could absolutely do the material justice, even if he would change some things up.
Oh I agree he could absolutely do it justce, MP is one of the greats of all time!  I was just thinking it could come down to a pride thing.  He is a professional, so it's probably best to give him the benefit of the doubt.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2144 on: June 03, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
Maybe Portnoy underplaying Mangini's original drum parts would make up for years of Rudess overplaying Moore's and Sherinian's original keyboard parts. :P

I laughed.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2145 on: June 03, 2020, 12:38:56 PM »
I am not speaking with any inside knowledge, but I would not make the leap that "patched things up" means "wants to commit to playing together full time." It could be, but I would imagine it more being "Hey, glad we are friends again, let's grab some chow sometime!"
Just for the record, I'm not trying to imply anything myself. Like I said in my previous post, it would probably take a lot for him to be willing to come back. Additionally, it would take a lot for the band (as a whole) to welcome him back, too. My post was just to point out to Peter that there has been some sort of reconciliation with JMX, which Peter may or may not have been aware of.  ;)

I think PSMS is a perfect example of what would probably happen if MP returned. I think he would understand enough the importance of at least being willing to play a handful of MM-era songs in a set, just as he was fine with playing some Planet X stuff in PSMS. Like Bosk said, he wouldn't play it exactly like MM does, but he didn't do that with Virgil's parts either. I don't imagine that he would be someone who would resist playing MM-era stuff, anymore than Bruce resisted doing Blaze-era tracks. There probably would only be a few of those songs in any given setlist, but they wouldn't be completely absent.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2146 on: June 03, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »
Thanks Scotty, I wasn’t really aware of the situation with JMX, it’s good they are on good terms.

I’ve said my piece about this and will leave it here. I think it may open the door to MP coming back and others don’t but it’s pure speculation and something to talk about, that is all. I’m not pinning any hopes on anything other than to hope we get another killer LTE record.

Just to clarify about what I said in relation to Mangini. I didn’t say “Mangini should be concerned”, I said, “if I was Mangini, I would be concerned”.  That sounds pedantic I know but, I’m describing how I would feel in his position, I don’t know how he would feel. He may feel a lot more secure in his position than I maybe would. I always remember thinking something similar when Bruce Dickinson got together with Adrian Smith in the late 90’s and started putting out Maidenesque trad metal albums. It was like an open letter to Maiden to say “take me back” and sure enough Blaze got the bullet. Not the same situation I know but I also remember when Sabbath got together just to play a few songs as an encore at an Ozzy solo show, next minute, they were back together. Sometimes these things gather a momentum all of their own. DT are not Maiden or Sabbath though clearly.

Anyway I adore the other two LTE albums, I think they are two of the best rock instrumental albums ever made and am keeping my fingers crossed for another classic.

Stay safe everyone!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2147 on: June 03, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/138176086285038/posts/2460491417386815/?d=n
Live Q&A with Eloy Casagrande (Sepultura) and MP, this wednesday.

“Yes, this will happen!!! An historic live with the boss Mike Portnoy. Wednesday (9:15pm CET/12:15pm PST), on Sepultura’s Youtube page.“
Now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1737FLvU0&feature=emb_logo
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: June 03, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »

I laughed.

:lol same, luckily I had put my coffee mug down while reading this

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2149 on: June 03, 2020, 02:59:42 PM »
Not the same situation I know but I also remember when Sabbath got together just to play a few songs as an encore at an Ozzy solo show, next minute, they were back together.

Well, to be nitpickers, they DIDN'T get together. Ozzy was "retiring" and asked Black Sabbath, with Dio at the helm, to open for him, Dio saw through all the charade and refused to play those shows, with Rob Halford having to step in. There were talks of a reunion after that, but it fell through and Sabbath eventually moved on and made Cross Purposes with Tony Martin. That was 1992, the reunion happened only in 1997.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

« Reply #2150 on: June 03, 2020, 03:25:56 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/138176086285038/posts/2460491417386815/?d=n
Live Q&A with Eloy Casagrande (Sepultura) and MP, this wednesday.

“Yes, this will happen!!! An historic live with the boss Mike Portnoy. Wednesday (9:15pm CET/12:15pm PST), on Sepultura’s Youtube page.“
Now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1737FLvU0&feature=emb_logo

I never made the Sepultura/Portnoy connection but I forget that Andreas was in a prior incarnation of Metal Allegiance with him (Hail I think)? Eloy Casagrande is probably the greatest drummer around at the moment (along with Baard of Leprous and Ray from Haken) and it's really cool to see these two having a conversation we can witness.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2151 on: June 03, 2020, 04:46:01 PM »
Not the same situation I know but I also remember when Sabbath got together just to play a few songs as an encore at an Ozzy solo show, next minute, they were back together.

Well, to be nitpickers, they DIDN'T get together. Ozzy was "retiring" and asked Black Sabbath, with Dio at the helm, to open for him, Dio saw through all the charade and refused to play those shows, with Rob Halford having to step in. There were talks of a reunion after that, but it fell through and Sabbath eventually moved on and made Cross Purposes with Tony Martin. That was 1992, the reunion happened only in 1997.

Well, the reunion was pretty much 99% a go  in 1992 and then it fell through.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2152 on: June 03, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »

I saw that post last night and checked out a few of those tracks. I couldn’t quite see where he got his description of the music.

Sounds more straight hard rock than anything else. But it's a pretty good album I must say. Been playing it all day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: June 03, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »
And John...I mean, he hasn't even been able to get his own solo album together after all this time. 

;D ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2154 on: June 04, 2020, 07:31:15 AM »

I'd love if those Halford shows got a release; can't see it ever happening for a multitude of reasons, but I have them on VHS somewhere, and while rough, they were good metal shows. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2155 on: June 04, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »

I'd love if those Halford shows got a release; can't see it ever happening for a multitude of reasons, but I have them on VHS somewhere, and while rough, they were good metal shows.

I have it on VHS and CD. Sound quality is "meh" but 30 seconds in you forget all about it. A friggin' AMAZING performance. Remember when Halford filled in for Ozzy last minute in 2004 at Ozzfest after a full Judas Priest set? Holy crap did that blow. Obviously Halford had no time to prepare and he was probably tired and he was doing Ozzy songs exclusively so the combination made for a fucking lackluster performance. I have that bootleg somewhere too. I can't bear to listen to it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2156 on: June 04, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2157 on: June 05, 2020, 03:38:58 AM »
Two weeks from now I'll be talking to Mark Menghi and Bobby Blitz about the BPMD album. Let me know if you have any questions for them!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2158 on: June 05, 2020, 03:41:30 AM »
I will be following Mike's vinyl collection. His music knowledge is impressive, and the collection is pretty awesome.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: June 05, 2020, 05:59:24 AM »
Watching now, looks pretty interesting especially since I started collecting vinyl's a few years ago. I wonder if MP has a discogs account.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2160 on: June 05, 2020, 07:19:49 AM »
Big fan of Discogs; I'm in the process of loading my CD collection up. I just finished "Marillion".  I would say that 80% of my music purchases are through Discogs. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2161 on: June 05, 2020, 08:33:01 AM »
I will be following Mike's vinyl collection. His music knowledge is impressive, and the collection is pretty awesome.

I loved the video. I thought it was funny that he was VERY clear this was just the "vinyl revival" collection, and that his hundreds and hundreds of original vinyl from the 60s, 70s, and 80s were separate.  :lol

I'll be watching the rest. It was cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2162 on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
Didn't think I would watch the whole thing and now i'm suddenly listening to A tribe called quest. WTH and I don't even listen to Hip-Hop! Damn you MP and your music knowledge.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2163 on: June 05, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »
I watched that last night and it was pretty cool.  Man, if I had money, I am pretty sure I'd have a massive vinyl collection as well. :lol

I couldn't help but wonder where the Boston and Blue Oyster Cult albums were (although I was not surprised since I don't think I've ever heard him mention either band).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2164 on: June 05, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »
I couldn't help but wonder where the Boston and Blue Oyster Cult albums were (although I was not surprised since I don't think I've ever heard him mention either band).
Probably didn't bother with getting reissues since he more than likely still has the originals and didn't see the need to get the reissues of them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2165 on: June 05, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
Probably didn't bother with getting reissues since he more than likely still has the originals and didn't see the need to get the reissues of them.

Could be.  Is he a fan of either?  Again, I don't think I've ever heard him mention either, although there are so many bands that it's hard to mention them all. :lol  Given his musical preferences, I would be shocked if he didn't like both at least a little bit. 

Online HOF

« Reply #2166 on: June 05, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »

Could be.  Is he a fan of either?  Again, I don't think I've ever heard him mention either, although there are so many bands that it's hard to mention them all. :lol  Given his musical preferences, I would be shocked if he didn't like both at least a little bit.

Here is a tweet where he talked about listening to Boston’s debut album a few years ago:

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/800440970118594560?s=21

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2167 on: June 07, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »
Heads up for the LTE collectors, Japan only re-issues of LTE 1&2 in SHM-CD Mini-LP format released May 27 2020.
This format is highly sought after and sells out fast and then goes for ridiculous prices on discogs and ebay.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MICP-30121?s_ssid=e47e795eddaeb9a6ce
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MICP-30122?s_ssid=e47e795eddaeb9a6ce
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:38:18 PM by gazinwales »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2168 on: June 08, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
I would love a vinyl re-issue of the two LTE albums, they are currently for sale on discogs for over 400€.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2169 on: June 08, 2020, 03:37:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzgIs9pT1A&feature=youtu.be

surprised nobody has commented on this. Mike is getting political. I don't necessarily like the song as Im not a john lennon fan, but I saw in the comments somebody recommended speeding it up to 1.75x speed to make it sound more punk. I tried that and it wasn't good. So I sped it up to 1.25 and I actually kind of dug it.