Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.9  (Read 22894 times)

Online HOF

Re: What album are you listening to v.9
« Reply #945 on: May 06, 2024, 05:06:15 PM »
The Blue Nile - Hats

Offline Glasser

« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2024, 05:07:24 PM »
Unleash The Archers- Phantoma.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2024, 06:06:51 PM »
I always called them a 70's band with an 80's production. Those original first 4 albums are amazing. Kind of in the Aerosmith/UFO vein. In fact they do an excellent version of Rock Bottom.

That's a great description. I would generally agree on the first albums, with an additional tier perhaps... I'd say first two are truly amazing, while Psychotic Supper and Bust A Nut are very good. After that...well, there are moments. The last album of theirs I heard in full is Simplicity which, while not terrible, was kinda sad (opening song's title is MP3...). I didn't check out the one after that.

Unleash The Archers- Phantoma.

:eek

Sneak Peek??

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #948 on: May 06, 2024, 06:11:07 PM »
St. Vincent - All Born Screaming

Offline nick_z

« Reply #949 on: May 06, 2024, 06:26:34 PM »
A few 2024 albums:

I'm not quite loving Borknagar's latest as much as True North, but it's very, very good. Favorite moment in the second half of the opener, Summit, with some great, epic vocals.

Mother of All is a thrashy, melodic death metal band from Denmark. The album (um, "Global Parasitic Leviathan") is quite good. The main guy is the drummer/vocalist who, interestingly enough, is also the drummer in Timechild (who released a cool hard rock album last year). The vocals are a bit of a mix of Tom Araya and At the Gates' Tompa.

Then:

Slumber is the pre-Enshine band of Jari Lindholm. Unfortunately, this is the only album they released, although Enshine would prove to be even better, so can't complain too much.

Idlewild's The Remote Part is an album I absolutely love. I'm not particularly crazy about the stuff preceding and following this record, but here they hit all the right notes. The earlier albums had a punk-ier energy, which only partially remains in a few songs (A Modern Way of Letting Go, (I Am) What I Am Not...). But for the most part, this is incredibly tasteful pop-rock with good energy and fantastic melodies.  Any fans here? I know Stadler likes R.E.M. and I'm thinking he might like this...? There's a bit of Stipe & co's influence here, mostly in the vocals and in the general vibe of some songs...although it's filtered through a very "British" approach...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #950 on: May 06, 2024, 06:38:37 PM »
That's a great description. I would generally agree on the first albums, with an additional tier perhaps... I'd say first two are truly amazing, while Psychotic Supper and Bust A Nut are very good. After that...well, there are moments. The last album of theirs I heard in full is Simplicity which, while not terrible, was kinda sad (opening song's title is MP3...). I didn't check out the one after that.

I thought Forever Now was pretty good.

I actually hold Bust A Nut pretty high, and on most days consider TGRC at #4 of those first 4 albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: May 06, 2024, 06:45:29 PM »
In between roulette listening having a break and finally checking out the new Accept.

I dunno.....seems pretty pedestrian.  Only a few songs in though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #952 on: May 06, 2024, 06:47:25 PM »
In between roulette listening having a break and finally checking out the new Accept.

I dunno.....seems pretty pedestrian.  Only a few songs in though.

It gets better as you go. Nobody Gets Out Alive :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #953 on: May 06, 2024, 06:54:47 PM »
Judas Priest - Invincible Shield

Iced Earth - Black Flag (the song)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: May 06, 2024, 07:03:13 PM »
It gets better as you go. Nobody Gets Out Alive :metal

Yeah, just finished that one, that was a really cool tune.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #955 on: May 06, 2024, 07:38:37 PM »

:eek

Sneak Peek??

Yes, I heard a stream today. I can’t wait to buy this Friday! Excellent album.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #956 on: May 06, 2024, 08:14:47 PM »
I thought Forever Now was pretty good.

Is this a combo of Into the Now and Forever More?  :biggrin: Assuming you are referring to the latter, I agree, I like that one too.

I actually hold Bust A Nut pretty high, and on most days consider TGRC at #4 of those first 4 albums.

Shine Away is one of my favorite Tesla songs. As for TGRC, for me it's a battle with MR for #1...

Yes, I heard a stream today. I can’t wait to buy this Friday! Excellent album.

Same here...high expectations, for sure!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #957 on: May 06, 2024, 08:16:29 PM »
Is this a combo of Into the Now and Forever More?  :biggrin: Assuming you are referring to the latter, I agree, I like that one too.

:facepalm:

Yes!

I'm totally with you on Shine Away!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #958 on: May 06, 2024, 10:10:02 PM »
Marillion - An Hour Before It’s Dark

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #959 on: May 07, 2024, 06:01:45 AM »
Jessica Pratt - Here in the Pitch

Also, Tesla is awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: May 07, 2024, 06:11:22 AM »
Lady Gaga - Chromatica

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #961 on: May 07, 2024, 06:32:28 AM »
Kacy Hill - Bug
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #962 on: May 07, 2024, 08:57:25 AM »
Sam Gendel & Sam Wilkes - The Doober

Offline Grappler

« Reply #963 on: May 07, 2024, 09:11:19 AM »
Grave Digger - Symbol of Eternity
Grave Digger - Fields of Blood

Accept - Blood of the Nations

KK's Priest - The Sinner Rides Again
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 09:57:14 AM by Grappler »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #964 on: May 07, 2024, 10:13:19 AM »
Just to chime in on the Tesla love, I didn't know them beyond the radio/MTV hits. When my Mom died I got her CD collection and she had 1 or 2 Tesla albums. Couldn't believe how good they were. As most have said, I only own the first 4 along with the Acoustic record.

Yes, I had a cool Mom. She saw Tesla in concert, Skid Row during the Bach years. Kinda jealous. I was too young and hadn't quite found those bands myself.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:27:13 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #965 on: May 07, 2024, 10:20:04 AM »
Camera Obscura - Look to the East, Look to the West

Offline Trav86

« Reply #966 on: May 07, 2024, 11:31:10 AM »
The Neal Morse Band - Morsefest 2019
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #967 on: May 07, 2024, 12:14:55 PM »
Big Big Train - Grand Tour

I once saw Tesla open up for Lynyrd Skynyrd.  That was a crazy show.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: May 07, 2024, 01:08:18 PM »
Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet

Tesla- Best of

Twisted Sister- Stay Hungry

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #969 on: May 07, 2024, 01:41:07 PM »
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #970 on: May 07, 2024, 03:52:46 PM »

Really slept on them and I never should have. Loved the singles off the first 2 records and only ever owned No Need To Argue. Currently assembling their whole catalog and wondering why I never dove in like I should have.

Great band with a great voice.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nick_z

« Reply #971 on: May 07, 2024, 05:10:36 PM »
Just to chime in on the Tesla love, I didn't know them beyond the radio/MTV hits. When my Mom died I got her CD collection and she had 1 or 2 Tesla albums. Couldn't believe how good they were. As most have said, I only own the first 4 along with the Acoustic record.

Yes, I had a cool Mom. She saw Tesla in concert, Skid Row during the Bach years. Kinda jealous. I was too young and hadn't quite found those bands myself.

Nice  :heart :heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #972 on: May 07, 2024, 05:14:45 PM »

How old was your Mom if you don't mind me asking? How old are you? I may have thought you were a bit older.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #973 on: May 07, 2024, 05:20:34 PM »

That Omnium Gatherum album is so good. How many great melodies can they come up with?!? They have this, how to say it, "uplifting melancholy" thing going, and it's wonderful. Between this and New World Shadows, it's a pretty impressive one-two.

For some reason, I tend to overlook Insomnium's second album, and whenever I revisit it, I'm not sure why. More classically "melodic death metal", but already packed with their signature sad sound. The melodeath stuff reminds me quite a bit of Dark Tranquillity circa-Damage Done. There are a couple of passages that wouldn't be out of place in an O(ld)Peth album too. Real nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: May 07, 2024, 05:26:15 PM »
Those two OG albums are where its at, along with Beyond of course.  Grey Heavens was decent but they last couple they haven't gotten anywhere near the atmosphere and feels of these run of albums.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #975 on: May 07, 2024, 05:29:42 PM »
Those two OG albums are where its at, along with Beyond of course.  Grey Heavens was decent but they last couple they haven't gotten anywhere near the atmosphere and feels of these run of albums.

Agreed. I do enjoy The Burning Cold the best out of the last three, but The Redshift-New World-Shadows-Beyond is a delicious run (the latter a little step down vs. the other two for me, but still great)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #976 on: May 07, 2024, 05:45:29 PM »
How old was your Mom if you don't mind me asking? How old are you? I may have thought you were a bit older.

Going to use 1990 as a reference point. In '90 Mom would have been 37. I would have been 13/14. I'm 47 currently. Mom's been gone 10/11 years now. Died at 60/61 from cancer. I honestly don't have it memorized. Don't handle death well. I just know it was exactly a week before her birthday.

Anyway, she loved her 80's hard rock.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #977 on: May 07, 2024, 06:00:24 PM »
Going to use 1990 as a reference point. In '90 Mom would have been 37. I would have been 13/14. I'm 47 currently. Mom's been gone 10/11 years now. Died at 60/61 from cancer. I honestly don't have it memorized. Don't handle death well. I just know it was exactly a week before her birthday.

Anyway, she loved her 80's hard rock.

OK, so 47 makes sense.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your parents while they were so young. Cool to hear she was an 80's rock fan. We probably saw a lot of the same tours.  :heart

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: May 07, 2024, 06:39:02 PM »
Oceans Of Slumber - Winter

Offline Grappler

« Reply #979 on: May 07, 2024, 09:01:20 PM »

I love that.   :metal

My mom was a big Styx fan - my first exposure to rock music was playing my parent's vinyl records.  Hers included Styx and Zeppelin IV.  She actually saw the early Styx lineup playing high school proms before they became a big band.  In 1996, we were walking through the MGM Grand in Vegas while on a family vacation and she stopped dead in her tracks.  They had a concert poster for the Styx Return to Paradise tour.  "Styx is playing tomorrow night...and TOMMY SHAW is with them!"  We got tickets and my first real rock concert (not counting local festivals in the 1980's that had washed up 60's and 70's acts) was Styx and Kansas.