Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 500832 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5180 on: March 07, 2021, 08:11:03 PM »
I know I've gotten a few laughs here but snakes and arrows really is my favorite album. It's the first one that I listened to and the one I go back to the most. I've never seen snakes and arrows love, I should give that a look.

Certainly an unpopular opinion but there's a lot of great music on S&A and like Kev said, it was refreshing to see them have the balls to put so much of it into the setlist when most bands their age are just coasting on their old songs. My favorite is Hold Your Fire which is frequently at the bottom of peoples lists, so I'm right there with you.

That was a great tour, largely because of those Snakes and Arrows songs and the Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission set. All of those "Evening With" tours were totally amazing and the light show was outstanding as usual.  The tours during this century have always struck me as one big thank you to the fans.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5181 on: March 07, 2021, 08:16:52 PM »
Obviously have said this before, but Vapor Trails (original) Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels are stone cold classics (especially what was played live.)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5182 on: March 08, 2021, 05:05:43 AM »
All their live shows from Vapor Trails onward were outstanding in production!  R30 being a personal favorite of mine. The band was a polished machine firing on all cylinders. 💯💥
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5183 on: March 13, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5184 on: March 13, 2021, 07:56:51 AM »
Maybe I’m just missing that classic Queensryche sound. Toddryche don’t have it. Listening to Rage at the moment and missing what was once my favourite band.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5185 on: March 13, 2021, 11:52:29 AM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5186 on: March 13, 2021, 11:53:55 AM »
"Watch Crown Lands' absolutely epic Star Wars-themed tribute to Rush"
https://www.loudersound.com/news/watch-crown-lands-absolutely-epic-star-wars-themed-tribute-to-rush

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOsOXLixWoY
That is a great sounding epic song!  Cool video too.  I saw that they worked with the same producers of Rush.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #5187 on: March 21, 2021, 08:39:46 AM »
An excellent cover of The Pass from a trio of french canadian dudes who really honed in on the sounds

https://youtu.be/os80D4UA0h4

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5188 on: March 21, 2021, 02:28:06 PM »
An excellent cover of The Pass from a trio of french canadian dudes who really honed in on the sounds

https://youtu.be/os80D4UA0h4

They have a ton of videos on YouTube. they are great. I saw this cover of The Pass for the first time this weekend.   A bit different but I like it.

https://youtu.be/iRTZls4q4GE
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline emtee

« Reply #5189 on: March 22, 2021, 02:33:20 AM »
I don't know anything about this site. Are they legit? If so, apparently Geddy and Alex have written some material and plan on working together. Not sure what it would be or who may join them but I'm glad to see that they want to keep creating music.

https://metalwani.com/2021/02/rushs-alex-lifeson-geddy-lee-confirm-they-will-get-together-write-new-music.html?fbclid=IwAR17Klc095aqIwf0El7w-Y1oSVGDiaa5oYfu1VYJmKJWliL1tgLktiMjhf4

Online HOF

« Reply #5190 on: March 22, 2021, 06:34:43 AM »
I don't know anything about this site. Are they legit? If so, apparently Geddy and Alex have written some material and plan on working together. Not sure what it would be or who may join them but I'm glad to see that they want to keep creating music.

https://metalwani.com/2021/02/rushs-alex-lifeson-geddy-lee-confirm-they-will-get-together-write-new-music.html?fbclid=IwAR17Klc095aqIwf0El7w-Y1oSVGDiaa5oYfu1VYJmKJWliL1tgLktiMjhf4

The video of the interview is linked in the article, so the comments themselves are legit (that interview is a few months old already, I remember when it was first posted). As to whether or not they get around to doing anything though or with whom, who knows? It doesn’t say they’ve written anything yet though, just that Alex thinks they will eventually write more music together. The important paragraph:

”We still talk about it, and I’m sure we will. Of course, now with the pandemic, it’s kind of wrecked things for a bit. But we’re both eager to get back together and kind of get back into that thing that we’ve done since we were 14 years old that we love to do. And we work really, really well together. So we’ll see what happens with that.”

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5191 on: March 22, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »
And that's about as non-committal and wishy-washy as can be.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5192 on: March 22, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »
If they did something, it won't be called Rush. You can take that to the bank.

Have Geddy just play bass and get Claudio from Coheed to sing. Would have that classic Ged vocal vibe.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5193 on: March 22, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
If they did something, it won't be called Rush. You can take that to the bank.

Have Geddy just play bass and get Claudio from Coheed to sing. Would have that classic Ged vocal vibe.

Or the singer from Thank You Scientist.   :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5194 on: March 27, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
And that's about as non-committal and wishy-washy as can be.

"Never say never."  as the cliche goes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5195 on: March 27, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »
Have Geddy just play bass and get Claudio from Coheed to sing.

No thank you.
I'd like to be able to listen to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5196 on: March 27, 2021, 09:01:13 PM »
Have Geddy just play bass and get Claudio from Coheed to sing.

No thank you.
I'd like to be able to listen to it.

Love Coheed, but I don't want Claudio going anywhere near a Rush song either.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5197 on: March 27, 2021, 09:24:41 PM »
Honestly? I'd kinda like to see some instrumental music with two drummers, ala live Genesis. That would be interesting.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5198 on: March 28, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »
It would be great if they had a different singer and a different keyboard player. I would like to see Geddy just on the bass.

So, how about this?

Ted Leonard - vocals
Alex Lifeson - guitar
Geddy Lee - bass
Ryo Okumoto - keyboards
Gavin Harrison - drums

And to be honest, Ted might not be a stretch. He gave an interview years ago where he mentioned an older band reached out to him for a collaboration. This might be what it is.

I also tried to select a keyboard player that isn't a part of Spock's Beard, given that Ted is, but since the band has been quiet for a while now, I'd love to hear Ryo somewhere else.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5199 on: March 28, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »
It would be great if they had a different singer and a different keyboard player. I would like to see Geddy just on the bass.

So, how about this?

Ted Leonard - vocals
Alex Lifeson - guitar
Geddy Lee - bass
Ryo Okumoto - keyboards
Gavin Harrison - drums

And to be honest, Ted might not be a stretch. He gave an interview years ago where he mentioned an older band reached out to him for a collaboration. This might be what it is.

I also tried to select a keyboard player that isn't a part of Spock's Beard, given that Ted is, but since the band has been quiet for a while now, I'd love to hear Ryo somewhere else.

Rush or Yes? (I have no secret knowledge myself, just that's who I would have guessed once I heard of the reach around out.)

I thought about suggesting a keyboard player, but part of the charm of Rush is that "trio" feel, where parts get balanced.  I get that it's all personal feel/taste, but I think I'd miss the magic of Lee/Lifeson if they were buried in a quar- or quintet.  I made the exception for drums, because they are the same instrument, and as a sort of indirect acknowledgement that Neil can't be replaced in any cosmic way by one guy.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5200 on: March 28, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »
MP, MP, MP!  :metal

Online HOF

« Reply #5201 on: March 28, 2021, 11:30:14 AM »

Rush or Yes? (I have no secret knowledge myself, just that's who I would have guessed once I heard of the reach around out.)

I’d have guessed Kansas after Walsh retired in 2014, but I have no idea either and never heard of that interview with Ted before. I do know that Neal Morse originally asked him about singing in Flying Colors before Mike pushed for Casey McPherson. So I suppose that could be who he was talking about.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5202 on: March 28, 2021, 11:37:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETaaYOxi1c&ab_channel=ThatDrummerGuy

This is the interview. He avoids spilling all of the beans on 51:48 - apparently, an older band with a huge following called it a day, but two of the guys do not want to call it a day. We might as well put two and two together.  :P

It's also the interview where he reveals Neal considered him for Flying Colors before Mike suggested Casey. It worked out well for both SB and FC.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5203 on: March 28, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETaaYOxi1c&ab_channel=ThatDrummerGuy

This is the interview. He avoids spilling all of the beans on 51:48 - apparently, an older band with a huge following called it a day, but two of the guys do not want to call it a day. We might as well put two and two together.  :P

It's also the interview where he reveals Neal considered him for Flying Colors before Mike suggested Casey. It worked out well for both SB and FC.

I still don't think it's Rush - I just don't see it..

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5204 on: March 28, 2021, 01:16:46 PM »
It definitely doesn't have to be Rush, it could be a different band. But I'd like to be the first one to throw it out there, if the news comes out and confirms it.  ;D

Online HOF

« Reply #5205 on: March 28, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »
It definitely doesn't have to be Rush, it could be a different band. But I'd like to be the first one to throw it out there, if the news comes out and confirms it.  ;D

I do think Ted would be a great choice for a Rush-related project with Alex and Geddy. Heck, get Paul Craddick to do the drums even.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5206 on: April 03, 2021, 11:40:31 AM »
Have you heard this cover of "Anthem"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

What do you think about this? Musically it's pretty nice, but I find vocals by C&C guy annoying, he kinda ruined this song. I never got into C&C.

Online HOF

« Reply #5207 on: April 03, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »

What do you think about this? Musically it's pretty nice, but I find vocals by C&C guy annoying, he kinda ruined this song. I never got into C&C.

Sounds a lot like early Geddy Lee, which I also find somewhat annoying to be honest.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5208 on: April 03, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »
That Anthem cover sounded great to me on all levels!  :metal

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5209 on: April 03, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »
That Anthem cover sounded great to me on all levels!  :metal

Even vocally?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5210 on: April 03, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »

I prefer this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSNie948S0
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5211 on: April 03, 2021, 02:32:18 PM »

YYNOT is undoubtedly the coolest band carrying on the Rush torch. I love them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #5212 on: April 03, 2021, 02:37:54 PM »
Jacob Moon for the win to be honest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25iy3uw6Vng

Would love to see Alex and Geddy do stuff with him on vocals.

Online HOF

« Reply #5213 on: April 03, 2021, 02:38:46 PM »

YYNOT is undoubtedly the coolest band carrying on the Rush torch. I love them.

YYNOT are pretty great. Their original stuff isn’t bad either (though it’s full of Rush-isms).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5214 on: April 03, 2021, 03:42:58 PM »
I’m a big YYNOT fan. Their originals are 80s Rush-like without being a carbon copy. Really good band.