Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 152181 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #840 on: January 25, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
Didn't really hear any industrial. I only listened once, but it really just sounded like almost every other heavy half time Kamelot riff from the last 2 albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: January 25, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
Didn't really hear any industrial. I only listened once, but it really just sounded like almost every other heavy half time Kamelot riff from the last 2 albums.

True, it wasn't really industrial but what I would think they would call industrial for what they can come up with.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #842 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
They started to lose me when it all got too serious sounding. They had a bit of an innocent charm put to Karma that got lost afterward.

Online Adami

« Reply #843 on: January 25, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »

True, it wasn't really industrial but what I would think they would call industrial for what they can come up with.

Yea I feel that. I actually love the mixture of real industrial and metal (though Fear Factory is way too one note for me) and I would be excited if Kamelot introduced actual industrial elements, sadly I think it just means exactly what was in that sample.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: January 25, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »

Yea I feel that. I actually love the mixture of real industrial and metal (though Fear Factory is way too one note for me) and I would be excited if Kamelot introduced actual industrial elements, sadly I think it just means exactly what was in that sample.

I think so too mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #845 on: January 25, 2018, 05:46:14 PM »
I love Silverthorn and really like Haven. Musically I prefer some of the classic albums, but I prefer Tommy as a vocalist. Have seen them live 5 times now and they are fantastic. That said, I do think their audio production is a bit too dull/generic sounding, can't exactly pinpoint which aspect, but the different musical elements don't stand out as much as they could.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #846 on: January 28, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Missed the news about them recording shows this tour, that is great news! The site of the venue (013) they play in here confirms they will record there. I wonder how many shows will be recorded.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
I thought they said the whole tour, but we'll see.  I hope NYC footage makes the cut.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #848 on: January 29, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
I thought they said the whole tour, but we'll see.  I hope NYC footage makes the cut.

"Filming will be done on the entire tour throughout..." So yes, you can interpret it that way. It just sounds like such a massive undertaking if you want to have good quality recordings for every single show (which would require a filming crew and additional prep for every show, right?), which made me assume they will film throughout the entire tour, but not necessarily every show. But I am not an expert, nor is English my native language. So who knows.

I hope they will release at least one full show or one cut from similar venues.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: January 29, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
Yea, to me, it sounds like a small crew recording every show and they will pick and choose the performances for the video.  I have no expectation of a single concert.

Online Adami

« Reply #850 on: January 29, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »
That's cool, and I guess it makes sense.

Their last DVD was one of the best concert DVDs I've ever seen. They could have either done this option, or tried to go even bigger/better/more theatrical with guest singers.

I was hoping for the latter, but I'm happy with anything.

Sad we likely won't get Mephisto with sexy blue haired girl though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #851 on: January 29, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
Well, this way we will get the absolute top performances. And that will be utterly fantastic based on the 5 times I have seen them. And still, there is no reason to not do some special songs/shows here and there. They have always done that during "normal" tours as well (intimate shows with unique acoustic sets, pyrokinetics, special guests in some shows).

So I do hope we will get a recording with Alyssa on MoM, because she is made for that song, as cool as their other guests are.

The venue they play in here is 013, same as Ayreon Universe, hopefully they manage to fill it this time (3000 folks), they deserve it!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:13:50 PM by ErHaO »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #852 on: January 31, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
Global warming kinda screwed up all the traditions tied to a once predictable wether, but at least from where I'm from, it is said that the last three days of January (29th, 30th and 31th) are the coldest of the year.

So, if you're one those people like me who like to listen specific songs on the anniversaries or locations they talk to, tonight's a good night to listen On the Coldest Winter Night  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:37 AM »
Dear Kamelotians,

The forthcoming release of The Shadow Theory will mark another chapter in the band’s illustrious career. Coming off of the success of Haven, the band has stepped up their game even more on this new album and the massive tour planned for 2018/2019.
Casey is off to new endeavors! Prior to the recent final recordings, long-time drummer Casey Grillo informed the band that he had made the difficult decision to pursue other music and touring opportunities, in addition to the desire to focus more time on his drumhead company.

“Casey has been my friend and colleague for nearly 20 years. We have seen and done a lot together both in and outside of Kamelot. As his friends, the band and I respect his decision. I’m sure that we will all still be hanging out together when we have down time.” adds Kamelot guitarist Thomas Youngblood (Official).

In a letter regarding his departure, Casey states: “First and foremost I would like to thank all of the Kamelot fans around the world for your support during my time with the band. It has afforded me the opportunity to travel the globe, meet the most amazing people, experience so many cultures, and to share some of the most memorable experiences of my life. Between the various other musical endeavors I am involved with, along with my rapidly growing business DrumStatic.com, it really just became evident it was time for me to explore and focus on these new opportunities without compromising the exclusivity Kamelot needs and deserves.”

The technical musical arrangements and intense touring demands drove the band to enlist a proficient and energetic musician which would fit perfectly within the Kamelot machine. The new Kamelot drummer is someone you may already know, so please welcome with open arms Johan "Jo" Nunez. This 29 year old drum master and instructor has been touring and playing on albums with Marty Freedman, Gus G, Firewind, Nightrage and more. "We knew Johan already from touring and he worked with us on the entire recent European tour. He's a sensational drummer, and was an easy choice in my mind. Be sure to make him feel welcome, and bug him for a photo, he’s a super nice dude!" adds Kamelot bassist Sean Tibbetts.

Johan Nunez states: “I am thrilled to join the Kamelot family! I’ve known the band for well over 15 years and always looked up to Casey as a drummer, so it was a big honor for me when I was asked to step in. I have toured in the past with Kamelot and I could see how dedicated and loving their fans are! Everybody in the band and crew has been wonderful and already made me feel at home, so I’m really excited to meet you all soon on the road!”

Casey concurs with the selection and adds: “I sincerely ask for you all to give a warm welcome to Johan Nunez, and to embrace him as the new drummer. He is a great guy and will proudly represent and continue the Kamelot legacy!“

The band wishes Casey all the best in his future musical and business journeys. As part of the Kam family, he will continue to work behind the scenes with band.

The band is also confident that with the release of The Shadow Theory, fans will immediately recognize that Johan’s fantastic musicianship is a perfect choice for Kamelot. They can't wait for you to meet him on tour!

Learn more about Johan Nunez here: www.kamelot.com/site/johan-nunez
Or on his facebook page: www.facebook.com/johannunezofficial

European and Japan Tour dates coming this week and some big endorsement announcements!

#kamelot #theshadowtheory #kamelot2k18 #newalbum
Photo credits: #1 #2 by Tim Tronckoe photography, #3 by Firenesia

TL;DR Casey Grillo (Drums) has decided to go on elsewhere. (Queensryche perhaps?)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #854 on: February 05, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
WTF?!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #855 on: February 05, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
Well, that sucks. The changes have been gradual over time but by now it's just another situation like Iced Earth - the guitarist and everybody else. Let's hope this change will be the last one!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: February 05, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
WTF?!

Yeah man. Casey was a great fit for the band (IMO) and a super cool dude.  Met him once before a show a year or two ago here in town.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: February 05, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
Interesting but not surprising.  The band played without him recently and he was touring with Queensyrche. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #858 on: February 05, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »
Argh.   :censored

Looking forward to hearing the album, and I hope it brings a little something new to the table.  The last two with Tommy sound like the band is just on auto-pilot. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: February 05, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
WTF?!

Yeah man. Casey was a great fit for the band (IMO) and a super cool dude.  Met him once before a show a year or two ago here in town.

He's a great guy, and *the* Kamelot drummer imo. I'm sure the new guy is great, and since Tom and Oliver do pretty much all the songwriting, I doubt the creative processes in the band will change, but man, Casey could beat the crap out of those drums, and was one of the few drummers I genuinely enjoyed watching over the rest of the band. He's a fantastic player and it sucks to see him go. I'll be paying double attention to his work on The Shadow Theory now.

Best of luck to him with his future endeavors, I wish him nothing but success.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #860 on: February 05, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
Not too shocking.

Glad it seems to have been on very good terms. Sad the new tour won’t be with him....I think? I hope it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #861 on: February 05, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
Not too shocking.

Glad it seems to have been on very good terms. Sad the new tour won’t be with him....I think? I hope it is.

^ this.  Sounds like Casey is already gone, and this is just the formal announcement that Johan is "permanent".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #862 on: February 05, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
So Casey won’t be on the new tour? Shame. I’m sure I’ll survive though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #863 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »
So, does this mean that Casey is the drummer on the new album? ...and left after the album was finished?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: February 05, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
So, does this mean that Casey is the drummer on the new album? ...and left after the album was finished?

Said he told them "prior to the recent final recordings" which makes me feel like he was there to record, but it's not clear exactly.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #865 on: February 05, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »

Said he told them "prior to the recent final recordings" which makes me feel like he was there to record, but it's not clear exactly.

OK, so I'm not the only one who didn't quite get that.
Prior to recording the drums, or prior to the final album tweaks that are always done right before the release date is announced.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #866 on: February 05, 2018, 07:23:16 PM »
Towards the end of the statement, it says that fans will appreciate Johan's musicianship on the album.  I believe that the new dude recorded the drums, since Casey informed the band of his intent to leave prior to the recording sessions.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #867 on: February 05, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
Well, that sucks. The changes have been gradual over time but by now it's just another situation like Iced Earth - the guitarist and everybody else. Let's hope this change will be the last one!

Actually Sean is the original Kamelot bassist and co-founded the band with Thomas back in the day. He left the band before they recorded their first album and then rejoined when that bassist left back around 2009. So he's not the "classic" Kamelot bassist, but he is an original founding bandmate. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #868 on: February 06, 2018, 01:08:04 AM »
Right, forgot about that!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: February 06, 2018, 06:39:53 AM »
Been a Kamelot fan for 18 years and while it's sad to see Casey go, it's great to see band departures with out a shred of external drama. The new drummer is very talent so I don't see the band.....missing a beat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #870 on: February 06, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »
so I don't see the band.....missing a beat.

Hooray, the steady march of mediocrity continues unimpeded!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #871 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
so I don't see the band.....missing a beat.

Hooray, the steady march of mediocrity continues unimpeded!

:lol

So true.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: February 06, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »
Is that the March of Mephisto?

And agreed, it's nice to see a band parting ways with a long time member without any drama.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
I'm not gonna write off TST just yet - I am seeing the band at the end of April and I want to be a little excited, I think I'll have seen them more than any other band at that point - but I am very nervous because the samples, tracklist, and artwork scream 'same stuff, different year.'

This isn't a concept album, is it? I was organizing my collection last weekend and came across my nearly mint, untouched Silverthorn box. Not sure where I put the poster (which, by the way, has the most airbrushed photos of male metal musicians I've ever seen and it is so funny I couldn't even put it on the wall), but everything else was like it had never been touched. I've never read the Silverthorn storybook or taken the instrumental CD out of its slipcase... hell I don't think I'd ever taken the main album out of the box until I decided to finally put it on the shelf (instead of keeping it in said box). Best part... bought the whole box set on Amazon for $14 when the album dropped. Not sure if it was a mistake or not... but that was a good deal.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: February 06, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
While I don't think Kamelot will ever return to the level of awesome of the Fourth Legacy - The Black Halo run, I do hold Silverthorn & Haven in much higher regard than Ghost Opera and Poetry for the Poisoned. I expect The Shadow Theory to be very similar to the previous two albums, but that is by no means a bad thing!