Author Topic: Special uses for Dream Theater songs?  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Special uses for Dream Theater songs?
« on: July 18, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
There’s a thread called running to Octavarium about someone who liked to listen to that song while they were running.  It just got me to thinking: are there any Dream Theater songs you use for specific things?  For instance:

6:00 – not that big a fan of the song in general, but it serves as a great alarm clock. 

Constant Motion – again, don’t LOVE the song, but I love to exercise to it.

A Change of Seasons – I’m a writer, and this is the best song I’ve EVER found for creative inspiration while I’m writing.

The Ministry of Lost Souls/In the Presence of Enemies pt 2:  When I’m having trouble getting to sleep, I’ll often grab Systematic Chaos and start it on track 7, and I’ll usually be asleep before ITPOE2’s over.  I don’t find those songs boring at all, but they have a relaxing effect on me.

Take the Time: my ultimate motivational/inspirational song.  Gets me pumped and ready for just about anything. 

Anybody else have any songs they have special uses for?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
Re: Special uses for Dream Theater songs?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »
Whenever I need a bit of a motivator to let it all out, I normally whack on Vacant.

Other than that, I just use DT songs to sing along to...Badly.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:07:12 PM »
6:00 – not that big a fan of the song in general, but it serves as a great alarm clock.  

???  If you like being jarred out of your sleep by a drum beat, then, yeah, I guess that would do the trick.  Whatever floats your boat, man.  I prefer the mellow opening of Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse Of Reason album myself.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »

???  If you like being jarred out of your sleep by a drum beat, then, yeah, I guess that would do the trick.  Whatever floats your boat, man.  I prefer the mellow opening of Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse Of Reason album myself.

:lol I know what you mean.  Myself, mellow songs make me feel like going back to sleep when I try to use them as alarms.  I'm not a morning person; I need something to kick me awake. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
Well, perhaps you would be a morning person if you used proper wake-up music.  Using 6:00 to wake up is about as appropriate as using 2 Live Crew for a nice brunch with mom.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
Depends from time to time
made by c00kiE [aiw]

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
Well, perhaps you would be a morning person if you used proper wake-up music.  Using 6:00 to wake up is about as appropriate as using 2 Live Crew for a nice brunch with mom.

There's a reason alarm clocks make shrill obnoxious noises - some of us need to be jarred awake, or we just go back to sleep.  
Whenever I need a bit of a motivator to let it all out, I normally whack on Vacant.

Vacant's an excellent choice for that purpose. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
There’s a thread called running to Octavarium about someone who liked to listen to that song while they were running.  It just got me to thinking: are there any Dream Theater songs you use for specific things?  For instance:

Constant Motion – again, don’t LOVE the song, but I love to exercise to it.

A Change of Seasons – I’m a writer, and this is the best song I’ve EVER found for creative inspiration while I’m writing.

The Ministry of Lost Souls/In the Presence of Enemies pt 2:  When I’m having trouble getting to sleep, I’ll often grab Systematic Chaos and start it on track 7, and I’ll usually be asleep before ITPOE2’s over.  I don’t find those songs boring at all, but they have a relaxing effect on me.

Take the Time: my ultimate motivational/inspirational song.  Gets me pumped and ready for just about anything. 

Anybody else have any songs they have special uses for?

I agree with the entire post :tup

???  If you like being jarred out of your sleep by a drum beat, then, yeah, I guess that would do the trick.  Whatever floats your boat, man.  I prefer the mellow opening of Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse Of Reason album myself.

Signs of Life? holy shit that would put me in a deeper sleep than i already would be in :lol

its so soothing.

seriously if im in the right state of mind... like laying on the couch doing nothing... and i think about that song (or the opening to Division Bell or On An Island... i drift off
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jlandrus23

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »
I listen to As I Am to pump me up before I go play ball with my friends.

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:34:30 PM »
Special uses, eh? Some songs work very well when you're making bananas and cream   ;)

Otherwise, the AA Suite is a good one to jog to; great pace, great energy, lot's of change ups, etc. And it clocks in at almost an hour
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline hacko

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »

I thought I was the only one that used that to wake up xD
And I even like the song a lot!

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
Back in college i would study to IAW and Awake.  I swear it made me smarter.  All of the complex time signatures and arrangements would rearrange and create new neural networks in my brain.  Kind of like Mozart.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Just make sure you don't write about hypocrites, holding you at bay.
I tend to do that with SDV.

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
I used to use Octavarium to time my 3 mile runs. Sure, its not the BEST workout song, especially at the beginning, but I'm used to exercising with no music at all, so that was no problem for me.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
I like to take insects, and the trap them in glass cups, and watch them struggle to escape... all the while I blast "The Glass Prison" as I scream the vocals in a death metal type voice, as I laugh demonicly at the insect's failed attempts to escape the glass.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
I love to bowl to Systematic Chaos.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
I like to take insects, and the trap them in glass cups, and watch them struggle to escape... all the while I blast "The Glass Prison" as I scream the vocals in a death metal type voice, as I laugh demonicly at the insect's failed attempts to escape the glass.

I think you've won my thread.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »
I've also used 6:00 as an alarm signal. How ironic  ;D

Constant Motion, This Dying Soul and As I Am are on my gym playlist, and I currently use ITPOE pt. 1 as my ringtone, because of the intro. My previous ringtone was the isolated drum track during the instrumental section of, again, Constant Motion. Man, that bit is freaky.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
I've used The Glass Prison as my alarm clock for years, and I've used These Walls, The Count of Tuscany, Metropolis, and a few others as ring tones.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Vacant's an excellent choice for that purpose. 
It's the violins, it always triggers tears </3

Special uses, eh? Some songs work very well when you're making bananas and cream   ;)

Otherwise, the AA Suite is a good one to jog to; great pace, great energy, lot's of change ups, etc. And it clocks in at almost an hour
I'm going to have to try that I think.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
I definitely use 6:00 as an alarm clock.

Other songs:

Running/working out - Constant Motion
On my way to school - New Millennium
Public transit - A Change of Seasons, In the Name of God
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
Overture 1928 is perfect for walking. The beat of it perfectly matches my pace.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
I use the Majesty demos as a coaster.

(Disclaimer: I actually don't mind them, I just had a silly line and wanted to use it.)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 12:47:47 PM »
I use the Majesty demos as a coaster.

(Disclaimer: I actually don't mind them, I just had a silly line and wanted to use it.)

:lol  Wonderful.

Also, cool to see that several other people use 6:00 for a wake up call. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:58:16 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »

I'm going to have to try that I think.

Which one? Bananas and cream or jogging?   :lol
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
I've tried running to the 12SS, and it doesn't work.  Repentance is such a buzz kill.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
I prefer running to LaBries solo music, particularly Mullmuzzler 2, it's got such uplifting tone.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
To all the people who use 6:00 to wake up -- there's a reason the album is called Awake.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »
To all the people who use 6:00 to wake up -- there's a reason the album is called Awake.
But if one is Awake, then it's not Dream Theater is it? It's just Theater.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »

Or one is awake and daydreaming.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
Or one is awake and daydreaming.

Ah yes, Daydreaming... That's when Dream and Day Unite.

Offline DramaticEvents

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »

Haha funny :lol
*There are rules about signature sizes, and I need to read them*

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
One can only see Images & Words whilst Awake.

Offline redfish71

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
IndyCar seems to like DT, blasting it pre-race at Homestead last year.  along with some satch, vai, and i think zaza.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
Hmm.. if the artwork is any indication, A Dramatic Turn Of Events would make for a great plane riding album.

Seriously, though, Awake and FII make for a great playlist for my typical 2+ hour walks.

Also, The Glass Prison is great for running.