Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 40266 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #630 on: January 28, 2024, 12:24:24 PM »
On a bit of a Rush binge as I seem to do every December and I’m once again amazed at the change in their sound in just 10 years from ‘74-‘84 (and I guess the change from ‘84-‘94 is also pretty significant). Compare that to say Dream Theater from 2011 to now and there’s been nothing near as crazy as a shift. I know new technology played a huge part but it’s staggering what they were able to achieve in such a relatively short time.
The other day i was thinking about DT's sound and creative output since around that time, and came to a similar conclusion.  However, subtle differences are magnified with familiarity, and I have not paid close attention to their output since ~Systematic Chaos. The differences between each of their first 9 studio albums are vast in my view, compared to those since.  Not sure how much is my perspective, and how much that view is shared.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #631 on: February 07, 2024, 11:08:45 AM »
Beth Gibbons (of Portishead) is releasing a new album in May, and she just dropped the first single, Floating on a Moment. Sounds amazing and surprisingly uplifting. Some parts really do remind me of Sufjan Stevens. I'm very hyped now :dangerwillrobinson:

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2024, 11:11:26 AM »
Beth Gibbons (of Portishead) is releasing a new album in May, and she just dropped the first single, Floating on a Moment. Sounds amazing and surprisingly uplifting. Some parts really do remind me of Sufjan Stevens. I'm very hyped now :dangerwillrobinson:

This just made my day!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2024, 03:04:50 PM »

Oh, definitely intrigued. Will listen later

Online HOF

« Reply #634 on: February 14, 2024, 08:52:30 PM »
This is such a great tune by a barely known Frank Gambale project, Big Franklin.

https://youtu.be/5QnoscSJBUM?si=9cOm_kph5xEgMNnG

A hits radio station where I lived in HS had a DJ who managed to sneak stuff like this onto the air with some frequency. Only people I know who know about this project are that DJ, my brother and I, and the guy who sold me this CD used on Amazon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: February 22, 2024, 07:13:12 PM »
Reliqa news!

https://bravewords.com/news/reliqa-sign-to-nuclear-blast-records-release-music-video-for-new-single-terminal

I really like this band. Don't love every song, but I've really kind of taken to them. They're extremely talented and their singer is awesome. Kind of a catchy djenty modern vibe to their music. I definitely like this new song.

@wolfking...do you know them? they're Australian...even opening for Halestorm in Brisbaine next month.
Not saying I recommend them to YOU per se. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #636 on: February 29, 2024, 12:20:14 PM »
New song from Greek band Khirki, "Featherless":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS7fs4BWWek&t=317s

Their previous album, Κ​τ​η​ν​ω​δ​ί​α, was one of my surprises of 2021. Incredibly cool mix of hard rock/metal/ethnic-folk influences in a package full of energy and drive. Happy to hear that this song has a similar vibes. Super-excited about the album.

(not sure what the drummer has in his mouth - a toothpick? A lollipop?  Most importantly, why? :biggrin:)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: February 29, 2024, 01:25:12 PM »
Reliqa news!

https://bravewords.com/news/reliqa-sign-to-nuclear-blast-records-release-music-video-for-new-single-terminal

I really like this band. Don't love every song, but I've really kind of taken to them. They're extremely talented and their singer is awesome. Kind of a catchy djenty modern vibe to their music. I definitely like this new song.

@wolfking...do you know them? they're Australian...even opening for Halestorm in Brisbaine next month.
Not saying I recommend them to YOU per se. :lol

Sorry Tim missed this.  No I hadn't even heard the name til you sent me one of their songs a few weeks back.  It was pretty good too I will say.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #638 on: February 29, 2024, 04:13:21 PM »
No biggie. Not a band for you anyway, but I noticed they were playing in Brisbaine so I thought I'd mention it to you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: February 29, 2024, 04:35:44 PM »
Don't know much about Halestorm but cool they are coming here.

Speaking of Brisbane, About a week or so ago In Flames were here with Kreator as support, I had no fucking idea there were even here until 4 days after.   >:( :censored :censored >:(  Was fucking gutted.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: February 29, 2024, 04:38:56 PM »

Speaking of Brisbane, About a week or so ago In Flames were here with Kreator as support, I had no fucking idea there were even here until 4 days after.   >:( :censored :censored >:(  Was fucking gutted.

So now I have to watch for tour dates in Boston AND Brisbaine? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: February 29, 2024, 04:42:09 PM »

So now I have to watch for tour dates in Boston AND Brisbaine? :lol

Well since you offered, that would be great.  :lol

I know Scar Symmetry is coming here soon but meh, not that keen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #642 on: February 29, 2024, 05:01:37 PM »

I think you might like Halestorm.  Lzzy Hale has a killer voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: February 29, 2024, 05:11:37 PM »

I think you might like Halestorm.  Lzzy Hale has a killer voice.

I've heard the name.  Probably not enough to go see them though.  Maybe I'll check them out though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #644 on: March 01, 2024, 11:33:00 AM »
some of the AI voice generated on this channel are both crazy and creepy at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/@AIVoiceExperiments

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: March 01, 2024, 03:36:14 PM »
So I just had this thought today.

Kiss were my Beatles.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #646 on: March 04, 2024, 12:18:36 PM »
My mind was blown away by Joey Eppard on the Neverender cruise. Any fans of him or his band Three? The Three radio on Spotify is hitting the spot today for me
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1E4CWaeS15qk9S?si=c06fe7b0b30b4c49

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #647 on: March 04, 2024, 01:29:00 PM »
My mind was blown away by Joey Eppard on the Neverender cruise. Any fans of him or his band Three? The Three radio on Spotify is hitting the spot today for me
I listened to some 3 back in the day.  It's been years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #648 on: March 04, 2024, 01:58:39 PM »

a topic about them
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=26767

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #649 on: March 04, 2024, 02:06:23 PM »
a topic about them
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=26767

Thanks!! I looked in the A-Z thread but didn't see them listed.

I listened to some 3 back in the day.  It's been years.
Always fun to revisit! Get a little nostalgia.

Online HOF

« Reply #650 on: March 06, 2024, 08:38:03 AM »
Been digging into the first U.K. album this week, and I can't get past how much Alan Holdsworth's solo on In the Dead of Night sound like JP's solos on A Change of Seasons (starting around 17:00) and Trial of Tears. Not note for note or tone for tone, but there is something about the playing that is really similar. Like I've only heard anything like that from those two guitarists.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #651 on: March 06, 2024, 09:03:26 AM »
Been digging into the first U.K. album this week, and I can't get past how much Alan Holdsworth's solo on In the Dead of Night sound like JP's solos on A Change of Seasons (starting around 17:00) and Trial of Tears. Not note for note or tone for tone, but there is something about the playing that is really similar. Like I've only heard anything like that from those two guitarists.

Spot on, pal.

Another early example of proto-petruccism is performed by Gary Moore with Colosseum II - Inquisition (live version).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #652 on: March 07, 2024, 08:14:55 AM »
If you are interested, Rick Beato's interview with Michael McDonald was awesome.  Lengthy (1:42:00), but worth it if you have a love (as I do) for McDonald and everything he's done, including working with Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #653 on: March 07, 2024, 08:21:40 AM »
If you are interested, Rick Beato's interview with Michael McDonald was awesome.  Lengthy (1:42:00), but worth it if you have a love (as I do) for McDonald and everything he's done, including working with Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers.

I don’t love all of his music (not particularly fond of the Doobie Brothers aside from What A Fool Believes), but I do think he has an incredible voice. I recently picked up one of his albums (Blink of an Eye) because there was a co-write with Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile, and I enjoyed the album well enough for what it is (also has Manu Katche on it, so that’s a plus).

Will have to check out the Beato interview when I have a moment.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #654 on: March 07, 2024, 08:49:17 AM »
I love McDonald's cover of Stevie Wonder's "All Is Fair In Love". 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #655 on: March 07, 2024, 09:58:03 AM »
I love McDonald's cover of Stevie Wonder's "All Is Fair In Love".
:tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #656 on: March 07, 2024, 02:41:51 PM »
as my wife always points out

"Michael McDonald..he's got SOUL!".. :D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #657 on: March 10, 2024, 06:35:37 PM »
Slash....with Brian Johnson and Steven Tyler-Killing Floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxBEfKeOzw

Wow, this is cool as shit.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #658 on: March 10, 2024, 07:08:41 PM »

I'm fairly certain I saw 3 open for DT (or maybe it was Opeth) in the late 2000s or early 2010s. I still listen to "All That Remains" with some degree of regularity, but that was all that stuck.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #659 on: March 12, 2024, 07:43:13 PM »
I don't recall seeing this posted, hope I'm not wrong...

New song from Seven Spires - "Almosttown", released a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhDdVUwLZc

I know there are fans on DTF. I can't say I'm totally into this band, but they are surely talented. Vocals are pretty great (I don't know that she needs to do the harshies, but...)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #660 on: March 13, 2024, 07:01:53 PM »
I don't know if that particular song needed harsh vocals, but some of them do, "Gods of Debauchery", for example. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #661 on: March 13, 2024, 07:15:32 PM »
I don't know if that particular song needed harsh vocals, but some of them do, "Gods of Debauchery", for example.

No, I know, and I certainly don't mind harsh vocals, in general  :) It's just that sometimes I feel singers throw'em in there as if to show how versatile they are. Not familiar enough with Seven Spires to give my full-informed opinion on harsh vocals in their back catalog  ;)

This tune was pretty good, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #662 on: March 25, 2024, 02:13:09 PM »
The new single from WILLOW (Will Smith's daughter), "symptom of life", is crazy good.  Intro/verses in 7/4, complex jazz chords throughout, switches to 4/4 for the chorus.  Extremely tasty!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #663 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:58 PM »
The new single from WILLOW (Will Smith's daughter), "symptom of life", is crazy good.  Intro/verses in 7/4, complex jazz chords throughout, switches to 4/4 for the chorus.  Extremely tasty!

That's a fantastic song. Love the way the vocals have that syncopated rhythm along with the drums. I like those keys too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #664 on: March 25, 2024, 02:58:37 PM »

I don't know that ANY song needs harsh vocals.  :) :) :) :) :)