Author Topic: Awake is still better than every other Dream Theater record  (Read 42547 times)

Offline foxiqopher

Re: Awake is still better than every other Dream Theater record
« Reply #385 on: September 16, 2013, 03:18:39 AM »
What? I mean, I'm not a native english speaker either but I do know how to speak english (just like you do, since you could write that whole paragraph) and I understand the lyrics and talk about them. Unless you used a translator, then I take back what I said  :lol
I don't know how to explain this exactly :)
I know english (somewhat), I do understand english speech, but somehow my brain doesn't normally want to automatically "process" vocals in a song as speech and I need to concentrate fully on vocals to understand the lyrics. I may catch some words or short phrases, but to understand lyrics fully, I have to ignore the music in background and focus completely on singer which I usually don't do because I like the music :)

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #386 on: September 16, 2013, 07:22:03 AM »
What? I mean, I'm not a native english speaker either but I do know how to speak english (just like you do, since you could write that whole paragraph) and I understand the lyrics and talk about them. Unless you used a translator, then I take back what I said  :lol
I don't know how to explain this exactly :)
I know english (somewhat), I do understand english speech, but somehow my brain doesn't normally want to automatically "process" vocals in a song as speech and I need to concentrate fully on vocals to understand the lyrics. I may catch some words or short phrases, but to understand lyrics fully, I have to ignore the music in background and focus completely on singer which I usually don't do because I like the music :)

I understand this. I used to be pretty fluent in Spanish (although having not spoken it for YEARS, my skills have diminished significantly), and unless I was focusing and thinking about the sounds I was hearing, I couldn't understand anything the singer was saying.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Notaclue

• And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend...
« Reply #387 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
After listening to DT12, i can safely say.. INDEED my fellow OP, Awake is still the best.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #388 on: September 16, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
Awake is still the best.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #389 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »
Yup.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #390 on: September 16, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
DT12 blows Awake out of the water.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #391 on: September 16, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
After today I can say Awake is still my second favourite album by Dream Theater. It was very close, though...  :corn
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #392 on: September 16, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »

Let me know how that feels in a year from now.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #393 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
Well after listening to Awake for the first time in full really, and hearing DT12 a few times, I can say with certainty IMO that DT12>Awake. Eyeh.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #394 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »

In a year, the gap between the two will be even wider. This album makes Awake sound amateurish in every aspect.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #395 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »

In a year, the gap between the two will be even wider. This album makes Awake sound amateurish in every aspect.

I'm just so in love with DT12...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #396 on: September 16, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »

I'm just so in love with DT12...

:metal

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »

Considering Awake is the most mature sounding album from a songwriting perspective I find little validity in your statement, sir.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »
DT12 absolutely crushes Awake.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

Well I'll tell you this - a year from now, JR will still destroy KevMo in every way possible, MM's ability and passion will still destroy MP's, DT will still be a more solid band than they were, and DT12 will still destroy Awake.

Awake is still damn amazing though.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #400 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »

Considering Awake is the most mature sounding album from a songwriting perspective I find little validity in your statement, sir.

Shush, let them enjoy their post-listen high. I just get bragging rights when they finally come down. ;)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ruba

« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:20 AM »

I don't see it coming. Odds for making better album than Awake is maybe once in a million. I doubt it can even stand a challenge to SDOIT, which is the best JR era album.

You can call me pessimistic if you want to. But lately they have been able to make some great songs, but not an album, which feels cohesive and complete. Like Awake.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:37 AM »

I don't see it coming. Odds for making better album than Awake is maybe once in a million.

Guys just hand me a d1000000, cause I really want to try this out! One thing is certain: this album to me really is up to the challenge. And - before listening to it - I would have never expected such a thing to happen!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »

I don't see it coming. Odds for making better album than Awake is maybe once in a million.

Guys just hand me a d1000000, cause I really want to try this out! One thing is certain: this album to me really is up to the challenge. And - before listening to it - I would have never expected such a thing to happen!

Hey, I'm not a betting company!  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2013, 04:27:12 AM »
Today Awake is still better, but not by a long shot. And like Marco, I never could expect this.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2013, 05:40:57 AM »
This may sound pessimistic, but I already know I won't love DT12 as much as Awake (or I&W and ADTOE), because TEI is there.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
My favorite DT album changes all the time but Awake is definitely top 3 for me. DT12 should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Awake.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »

Sure.  For what's it's worth, I also like ADTOE much more than Awake.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Well I'll tell you this - a year from now, JR will still destroy KevMo in every way possible, MM's ability and passion will still destroy MP's, DT will still be a more solid band than they were, and DT12 will still destroy Awake.

And yet somehow, I feel the songs from MP's and Kev's era with much more emotion than I have ever felt a JR-era or MM-era song. SFAM stands as an exception for JR-era, though.

I miss the groove of MP and the emotional pianowork of Kevin. JR and MM are technically better, but I don't feel their playing as much.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:33 AM »

And yet somehow, I feel the songs from MP's and Kev's era with much more emotion than I have ever felt a JR-era or MM-era song. SFAM stands as an exception for JR-era, though.

I miss the groove of MP and the emotional pianowork of Kevin. JR and MM are technically better, but I don't feel their playing as much.

What you said was also true for me, then came DT12.

« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
What is it, exactly, that then moves you in the album? What progressions?

Offline adamack

« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
I personally like DT12 better, only because of my personal musical tastes...

BUT

I think once DT12 has been out for a few years, Awake will hold up better in the eyes of many. I just think that the whole sound of Awake and the songwriting are better-suited as "classic" material. I believe that the lyrics on Awake make a person "think" more. I don't know how to explain it really.

I'll reiterate though, I like DT12 considerably better. Just showing some respect for Awake, and I guess making a bit of a prediction.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
What is it, exactly, that then moves you in the album? What progressions?

I could write down a list, but it'd be a pretty long one. The whole album is a perfect progression to my ear.

« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
What parts shine out to you? Say, what type of feeling did you get from those? I really just want to identify with what you felt so I can try to understand it better.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »

This. Though I like Awake, a recent re-listen has actually proved it hasn't aged as well as I thought it had.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #415 on: September 18, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
I think some people are looking at the older stuff through the old rose tinted glasses.  Whatever they release these days can never match up with the classics, regardless of their actual merits.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #416 on: September 18, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
The thread title is still correct.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #417 on: September 18, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
I think some people are looking at the older stuff through the old rose tinted glasses.  Whatever they release these days can never match up with the classics, regardless of their actual merits.

Agreed  :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #418 on: September 18, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
What parts shine out to you? Say, what type of feeling did you get from those? I really just want to identify with what you felt so I can try to understand it better.
Thank you for the sincere interest =) I will try and do my best to tell you, although my feelings as a person are usually very complex and hard to explain - and this is why I can relate to DT music so much.

FAS: Excitement and expectations building, a very thrilling moment. Reminds me of myself watching a movie that I happen to like from the first scenes and cannot help but smile even though I'm alone. The favorite feature for me are Rudess' SFX.

TEI: Headbanging rage! The kind of layered but still straightforward metal track you expect from DT at its best. Bass and drums pounding all the way through... I feel adrenaline and might. Favorite part is the intro.

TLG: This gives me the kind of emotions that first got me into prog. The track is uplifting and radiant, transmits a sensation of positivity and happiness. Reminds me of when I was just a dreamy teen listening to Flower Kings, Marillion, Spoke's Beard and more neo-prog stuff. Favorite part is the whole song =)

EM: Overwhelming excitement for the musicianship that this track boasts. It is so complex and so fast that I can't help but feel amazed by the skill of the guys. Favorite part is all the work by the rythmical section (MM & JM).

TBP: Tied for the place of most emotional song for me with Illumination Theory. Very complex interchanging powerful emotions, as in a dreamlike context. Suspended animation. Melancholy. Suffering. Loneliness. Hope. I keep on crying each time I listen to the ending part (You look but cannot see... and on), which is my favorite one. In this track, I feel like every instrument really is a color of the same painting. Those colors interwoven together give a surprising array of shades of emotion. The result is simply... mind blowing.

Now my time is up and I have to get back to work, next time I'll tell you about the remaining tracks. Thanking you again for the interest, I hope you could read through my ravings =) I'm glad you gave me the chance to describe the album from an aspect that is strongly featured throughout the whole disc: emotion.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #419 on: September 18, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »
Agree with the above.  How anyone can say that this isn't up there with the best I don't know.  It's a masterpiece.

It's also, imho, their first album without a weak song.  This is coming from a fan whose first album cycle was SFAM, by the way.
Shaman take my haaaaand!