Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998759 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #4795 on: June 10, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
It's like turning up to a sword-fight with a leek and a flannel and expecting everyone to go, "Shit, let's not mess with this guy, he's got vegetables!"

This may be the best thing I have ever read since...ever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #4796 on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
It's like turning up to a sword-fight with a leek and a flannel and expecting everyone to go, "Shit, let's not mess with this guy, he's got vegetables!"

I think so too.  However, this typo:

......makes it even better since I'm picturing Eddie Vedder wielding veggie weapons with that crazy grin of his.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4797 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
I just figured it was British slang for some veggie or the other.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4798 on: June 10, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »
I would think so.  Hopefully it's something badass, like chard.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4799 on: June 10, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
I thought a flannel was a sack. NO?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4800 on: June 16, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
I'll keep it short and sweet:

Jordan Rudess' solo section in A Rite of Passage is awesome!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4801 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

YES! It totally is, completely mind-blowing really.

Reminds me a little bit of CM keyboard solo and I was really glad to hear JR classic solo synth tone in EM and IT because I was afraid he had gone off it after not really hearing it in ADTOE.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4802 on: June 16, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
The Great Debate is a very good song, but when the keyboard solo starts, the feel of the song completely changes and I really liked it.  When the guitar solo starts, the feel comes back and the song finishes strong.  That keyboard solo really seems out of place and I don't like it.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #4803 on: June 17, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »

I didn't like the Bebot solo when I heard it on the album but it was so amazing hearing it live that it changed my mind and now I like it lol

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #4804 on: June 17, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
The Great Debate is a very good song, but when the keyboard solo starts, the feel of the song completely changes and I really liked it.  When the guitar solo starts, the feel comes back and the song finishes strong.  That keyboard solo really seems out of place and I don't like it.

Yeah, it does introduce a very different mood. I always really liked how it transitioned into 4/4 for the guitar solo though, that's one of the coolest parts of the song.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4805 on: June 17, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »

I don't even need to know the context, this wins any argument it comes up in.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4806 on: June 18, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
I thought Trial of Tears perfectly fits DT12 due to its mood and everything maybe even LITS.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline 425

« Reply #4807 on: June 21, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
Here's an opinion of mine, which I think is a bit controversial, that I thought of while listening to Black Clouds & Silver Linings again, inspired by the recent thread about that album:

The Shattered Fortress is what the band intended it to be: a well-structured finale to the Twelve-Step Suite that calls back to the other songs while existing as its own original musical entity, NOT a poorly made mish-mash of riffs. It's also one of the best songs in the suite. They fluctuate in my esteem (for example, I was really hot on The Glass Prison and The Root of All Evil and cold on This Dying Soul and Repentance for a while, now it's basically flipped), but The Shattered Fortress is the only one that I consistently love without qualms and has never been outside of my top 3 in the suite (currently: TDS, TSF, TGP, Repentance, TROAE).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4808 on: June 21, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
The Shattered Fortress is what the band intended it to be: a well-structured finale to the Twelve-Step Suite that calls back to the other songs while existing as its own original musical entity, NOT a poorly made mish-mash of riffs. It's also one of the best songs in the suite. They fluctuate in my esteem (for example, I was really hot on The Glass Prison and The Root of All Evil and cold on This Dying Soul and Repentance for a while, now it's basically flipped), but The Shattered Fortress is the only one that I consistently love without qualms and has never been outside of my top 3 in the suite (currently: TDS, TSF, TGP, Repentance, TROAE).

I agree. There are definitely enough well written and original moments for the song to stand on its own, and its reprises I feel aren't just thrown in there pointlessly, but add more flavor and texture to the song. They're done in a way that are undoubtedly familiar but at the same time strikingly refreshing. Now, I'm not too keen on every single part of the song--at some points I do feel that they go overboard with the technicality and wackiness that doesn't necessarily entice or excite me particularly, but those moments are pretty thin and far between. The ending is also fantastic, and a great way to end the suite as well. :metal

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4809 on: June 30, 2014, 01:19:18 AM »
I feel that DT would benefit a lot if Jordan Rudness toned it down. Often it's like they're pretending he's a second guitarist for the band. I feel a lot of the songs would be a lot better if they were written with this in mind. The "wanking" would be less "wanky" ;) Was just listening to 6DoIT and was thinking this. Glass Prison, Great Debate, all the songs really, are amazing but brought down by this. If the keyboardist wasn't treated like a guitarist, then they would be soooooo much better.
I know, i know, maybe DT isn't for me. But I love DT! except those parts that are just too much!

People sometimes put DT and Tool up there as the top Progressive Metal bands. And know DT has been influenced in the past by Tool. You can hear it on some stuff of 6FoIT, ToT, and even Scenes! What i notice most though is the bass parts of songs like Home and TGD sound like something Tool would do. Because the bassist in Tool isn't just a background player like i feel Myung is. My opinion is that DT needs to give Myung more time to shine! And for the rest of the band to realize that less is more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4810 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:44 AM »
I feel that DT would benefit a lot if Jordan Rudess toned it down.

I would argue the exact opposite.
DT with JR has been at their very best when they haven't kept him on such a short leash. Maybe if they gave him more space during the song (instead of burying it in guitar), he wouldn't feel the need to pack so many notes into the one section of the song where he's the centerpiece. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4811 on: June 30, 2014, 02:23:16 AM »
I feel that DT would benefit a lot if Jordan Rudess toned it down.

DT with JR has been at their very best when they haven't kept him on such a short leash. Maybe if they gave him more space during the song (instead of burying it in guitar), he wouldn't feel the need to pack so many notes into the one section of the song where he's the centerpiece. :biggrin:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. He does seem to have been demoted to just part of the rhythm section. Ok so has his nice piano flurries on the slower or more thematic songs - plus he'll get a solo thrown in now and again. But, there is sooo much more to JR. I haven't listened to any of his solo stuff (I know I should) aside from bit here and there, but if you listen to LTE II or Scenes you can hear the influence he had on the band. That influence seems to be pushed to the side more and more.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4812 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36:24 AM »
That influence seems to be pushed to the side more and more.
I don't see such a tendency. Jordan's prominence has been fluctuating between albums after SDOIT and I was surprised how dominant he was on ADTOE. Granted, I expected and wanted to get more Jordan on DT12, especially seeing all the gear he hauled into the studio, but overall I don't have a problem with the way they're utilizing him.
I haven't listened to any of his solo stuff (I know I should)

I'm a big fusion-instrumental-prog fan, but I found his solo albums difficult to bear and often of bad taste (there are a few pretty cools songs here and there though, like Quantum Soup). Maybe it's best they keep him on a shorter leash. Sherinian's solo albums or Planet X run circles around him.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:43:18 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4813 on: June 30, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
The Alternate mix of SFAM is way way better than the original. Lots of things got buried with Kevin Shirleys mix.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4814 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
I haven't heard it in a while but I think I agree with that. His is missing some effects though.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4815 on: June 30, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
It is and those are some important effects to enhance the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

« Reply #4816 on: June 30, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »

I think he needs to tone it down with the synth, and bring out more natural sounds, namely piano and organ. But we know that's not gonna happen, considering how much he likes new soundz.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4817 on: June 30, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
Wither is weaker than A Rite of Passage, The Best of Times, or any other Black Clouds song.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4818 on: June 30, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
The Count of Tuscany
The Shattered Fortress

Wither

A Nightmare to Remember

A Rite of Passage

The Best of Times

« Reply #4819 on: June 30, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
The Count of Tuscany
The Shattered Fortress

Wither

A Nightmare to Remember

A Rite of Passage

The Best of Times

That's about right.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4820 on: June 30, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »
The Count of Tuscany
A Nightmare to Remember
The Shattered Fortress

The Best of Times
A Rite of Passage
Wither

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #4821 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »
The Shattered Fortress
The Count of Tuscany
A Nightmare to Remember

The Best of Times
A Rite of Passage
Wither

FTFY

Offline 425

« Reply #4822 on: June 30, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
I think Wither tops A Rite of Passage, just barely. It's extremely close though.

Ranking BCSL is hard for me, and not for the reason many of you have. It's hard because all the songs are so good.

But:

The Count of Tuscany
A Nightmare to Remember
The Shattered Fortress
The Best of Times
Wither
A Rite of Passage

The last three are VERY close. The top three were a little bit easier to rank, but still are pretty close.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4823 on: June 30, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
I like your taste :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4824 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
The Alternate mix of SFAM is way way better than the original. Lots of things got buried with Kevin Shirleys mix.

A couple of the mixes are better, but overall I think the final mixes were better. I liked the alternate mix of Overture 1928, bringing out the acoustic guitar a bit more, but they were right to mix down some of the other sounds in the final mix. It's been a little while since I gave it a listen, so I can't remember the specifics of what else I preferred or liked less, but overall I know I preferred the final album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4825 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:47 PM »
Wither is weaker than A Rite of Passage, The Best of Times, or any other Black Clouds song.

I would have to agree.  The song is all right, albeit a bit generic, but the subject matter is pretty bad. 

For what its worth here is my order:

A Rite of Passage (This song fucking rocks...I dont give a shit what anybody else thinks)

The Count of Tuscany (minus the lyrics)

The Shattered Fortress  (I'll pretend Mike doesn't yell COURTESY!!!! and the rest of the lyrics aren't bad)
The Best of Times (lyrics aren't as bad as a lot of people are making them out to be.  I do think they are too specific though)

A Nightmare to Remember (once again, horrible lyrics)

Wither (The actual lyrics aren't that bad but the subject matter is....weird.  A sorrowful song that basically says, "Sometimes I get writers block...and it kills me...then everything is right in the world and I can write agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiin!!!!")

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4826 on: June 30, 2014, 11:23:28 PM »
The Best of Times
The Count of Tuscany
A Nightmare to Remember

The Shattered Fortress
Wither

A Rite of Passage

sup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4827 on: June 30, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
The Count
Nightmare
Wither
Best Of Times
Rite of Passage
Fortress

I actually really like all the songs, though.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4828 on: June 30, 2014, 11:32:51 PM »
Wither is probably in my bottom 10 DT songs. It has never clicked with me, and I honestly forget about it.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4829 on: July 01, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
The Count of Tuscany
The Shattered Fortress
The Best of Times
A Nightmare to Remember
Wither
A Rite of Passage