Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998726 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #3220 on: January 15, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
Œ

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3221 on: January 15, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »
Let's abbreviate it as CS then. (Crap song)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3222 on: January 15, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
... But that's still only two letters.  You must mean TCS.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3223 on: January 15, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Nope, because then we'll get it confused with the Adobe Creative Suite.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3224 on: January 15, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
Also The Color Spectrum.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #3225 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
Thank's for the replies, everyone! :D
Phew.. . It's hard to find bad/controversial things to say about Dream Theater,
Let me try some more:

If they put Eve, Bombay Vindaloo and Gemini together in an album, it would be definitely better than what they just released. They need a break.

Also, what happened to the songs above? Why weren't they recorded yet?
Sorre fo any englishes mistakens :)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »
Controversial: My favorite song off of DT12 might be The Enemy Inside.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #3227 on: January 15, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
The Enemy Inside is one of the few DT songs that I truly do not enjoy listening to. The opening riff is just so godawful to me, I can barely stand it.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #3228 on: January 15, 2014, 09:18:22 PM »
Phew.. . It's hard to find bad/controversial things to say about Dream Theater,
How about this:  Why do DT's songs all need to be so long and complicated?  They need to be short and more repetitive so they're easy to sing along.  And what's with all the long hair??  Time to get some haircuts, shorten the songs and make them more accessible to the general public and radio programmers.  I mean, have they learned nothing from mid-90s era Metallica???

:omg: :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »

it's right up there for me too - along with (but below) IT and TBP.   It seems to be the Another Day of DT12 -  I enjoy the heavy , "to the point" nature of the song when I feel like a  :metal   I also like the way Mangini announces his presence right at the start.

Aside from some of JR's soloing I think it's a great track to change things up a bit ............although playing it following a well produced album it sounds like it's reaching my speakers through a muffler
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #3230 on: January 16, 2014, 05:26:08 AM »
How about this:  Why do DT's songs all need to be so long and complicated?  They need to be short and more repetitive so they're easy to sing along.  And what's with all the long hair??  Time to get some haircuts, shorten the songs and make them more accessible to the general public and radio programmers.  I mean, have they learned nothing from mid-90s era Metallica???

:omg: :lol
You couldn't be more right, sir.
I mean, HELLO-OO, don't they know distorted guitars scare away people?!
And why always wearing black or dark clothes? P-O-S-I-T-I-V-I-T-Y GUYS!

I can't stand the intro. I can't stand the Chorus... Pretty Meh for me.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3231 on: January 16, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
Don't know if this is controversial or... universal.  But Petrucci needs to get the fuck out of the mixing room and let someone without any bias mix their albums.  I watched Live at Luna Park last night and I was like 'they should just rename this band John Petrucci or some shit'.  His GUITARS ARE ALWAYS TOO LOUD.  You can't hear Jordan or Myung unless they're soloing, and when Petrucci solos, EVERYTHING is gets buried by his guitar.  At least when MP was in the band there were some loud and sweet sounding drums, but Mangini's kit, for all its bells and whistles, sounds like fly swatters on ass cheeks, because its not mixed right, just like on the albums since MP's departure.  Get someone else to produce and mix the shit. 

rant over.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3232 on: January 16, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
I don't feel quite as strongly, but I agree for the most part.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #3233 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
I feel like Jordan Rudess isn't a Dream Theater fan.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3234 on: January 16, 2014, 06:23:59 PM »
:|

???

:|

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #3235 on: January 16, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
Petrucci's high gain tone is awful. His tone was, overall, much better in the old days.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3236 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »

I can see why you'd think that.  I thought the same when watching LALP.  The guy's sight reading his parts the whole time  :millahhhh 

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3237 on: January 17, 2014, 12:35:13 AM »

I can see why you'd think that.  I thought the same when watching LALP.  The guy's sight reading his parts the whole time  :millahhhh 

I thought it was obvious he knows the parts already. He has said in the past that his sheet music also contains notes for when to switch sounds, or switch to another instrument etc. He's also classically trained and inclined to read sheet music.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3238 on: January 17, 2014, 06:51:16 AM »
Don't know if this is controversial or... universal.  But Petrucci needs to get the fuck out of the mixing room and let someone without any bias mix their albums.

At least when MP was in the band there were some loud and sweet sounding drums, but Mangini's kit, for all its bells and whistles, sounds like fly swatters on ass cheeks, because its not mixed right, just like on the albums since MP's departure.  Get someone else to produce and mix the shit. 

Totally.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3239 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »
Interesting. I have to say that I believe that JP and MM would be the only ones in the band that would listen to Dream Theater if they weren't in Dream Theater if yagetwotI'msayin'.

Totally agree about JPs tone as well. Tone is subjective though. Volume isn't. He is way too loud on DT12 and LALP.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Online krands85

« Reply #3240 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:39 AM »
Totally agree about JPs tone as well. Tone is subjective though. Volume isn't. He is way too loud on DT12 and LALP.
I love his tone on DT12, not keen on it on LALP though. But yes, I also agree he is far too loud on both.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #3241 on: January 17, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
Interesting. I have to say that I believe that JP and MM would be the only ones in the band that would listen to Dream Theater if they weren't in Dream Theater if yagetwotI'msayin'.

I think I'll always harp on the tone/volume of JPs guitars (well, until the mix changes a bit). 

Your first point is interesting as well.  Based on what the members do in side projects as well, when JP is involved, it sounds a lot like DT still (different, of course, but closer to DT than any of JRs or JLBs solo work, or JMs involvement with Platypus/Jelly Jam).  It seems like a lot of MMs stuff has not been as "progressive" (in terms of genre labels), but I don't know what his work with Vai, etc. has been like.

Granted, what you do on a side project doesn't mean that's the sound you want or would prefer.  (I seem to recall that with Journey, Neil Schon had said something to the effect that they were all welcome to pursue side projects, but was irked when Steve Perry's solo work sounded like Journey.)  It's still an interesting thought.

Offline genome

« Reply #3242 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »
Petrucci's high gain tone is awful. His tone was, overall, much better in the old days.

I would tend to agree - the last two albums I feel like his tone overall has been OK, it is well textured but lacks the sharpness and grit it used to have. I used to love that about his tone. Live, it still seems to be there though. When I saw them at Wembley in 2012, the palm mutes at the end of Pull Me Under nearly knocked me off my chair.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3243 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
It seems to be the Another Day of DT12 -  I enjoy the heavy , "to the point" nature of the song when I feel like a  :metal

wat

Don't know if this is controversial or... universal.  But Petrucci needs to get the fuck out of the mixing room and let someone without any bias mix their albums.  I watched Live at Luna Park last night and I was like 'they should just rename this band John Petrucci or some shit'.  His GUITARS ARE ALWAYS TOO LOUD.  You can't hear Jordan or Myung unless they're soloing, and when Petrucci solos, EVERYTHING is gets buried by his guitar.  At least when MP was in the band there were some loud and sweet sounding drums, but Mangini's kit, for all its bells and whistles, sounds like fly swatters on ass cheeks, because its not mixed right, just like on the albums since MP's departure.  Get someone else to produce and mix the shit. 

I think the loud guitars kind of fit DT12, but other than that, I totally agree.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3244 on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »

I would tend to agree - the last two albums I feel like his tone overall has been OK, it is well textured but lacks the sharpness and grit it used to have. I used to love that about his tone. Live, it still seems to be there though. When I saw them at Wembley in 2012, the palm mutes at the end of Pull Me Under nearly knocked me off my chair.

Interesting. The very same palm mutes in PMU on LALP were the first thing I negatively noticed on the DVD. All you can here are the overtones, no bottom end.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3245 on: January 17, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »

Interesting. The very same palm mutes in PMU on LALP were the first thing I negatively noticed on the DVD. All you can here are the overtones, no bottom end.
Yeah, what's up with those? They don't even sound like palm mutes. They sound like he's gently striking the top of his strings with the thin edge of his pick.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #3246 on: January 17, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
He should turn the gain knob counter-clockwise a bit. A generous bit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: January 18, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »
It seems to be the Another Day of DT12 -  I enjoy the heavy , "to the point" nature of the song when I feel like a  :metal

wat

I could've structured that a lot better............"heavy" wasn't referring to Another Day.  I was , in the first instance, referring to it being a shorter and under rated song on the album. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline genome

« Reply #3248 on: January 18, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »

I think that's the mix more than anything... they hit you right in the chest when you were there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTxcTPTZsE

You can kind of get a sense of it here at 3:35. Dat scream by the way.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #3249 on: January 19, 2014, 03:50:12 AM »
Ayreon's "The Theory of Everything" is the album of the year, and DT shouldn't even reach the top 50.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: January 19, 2014, 04:20:36 AM »
Ayreon's "The Theory of Everything" is the album of the year, and DT shouldn't even reach the top 50.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3251 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:19 AM »
Pelagial crushes all competition.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3252 on: January 19, 2014, 07:07:55 AM »

...in your opinion.

For me DT12 is still the aoty (although there are a couple of 2013 releases I still haven't heard but plan to do so, so it might still change).

My top 5 for 2013:
1. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
2. Tesseract - Altered State
3. Haken - The Mountain
4. Steven Wilson - The Raven blahblah
5. Amorphis - Circle

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3253 on: January 19, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »
I should pick up the new Tesseract, I suppose. I somewhat lost interest after Dan left.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #3254 on: January 19, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
He should turn the gain knob counter-clockwise a bit. A generous bit.

I actually think the main reason why he uses so much gain and delay/reverb/wah nowadays (especially live) is to cover up sloppiness. His playing has steadily become less accurate over the years and by using gain/effects he can hide this to some extent.