Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998781 times)

Offline j

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1820 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
The whole "prog/progressive" argument is really kind of ridiculous. It only serves to confuse when people start deciding that a band can be prog without being progressive or whatever. Dream Theater is a progressive band, because they do things like using unusual time signatures and displaying a high degree of technical ability.

I agree, it's completely ridiculous.  And personally, there is no context in which I would use the term "prog" at all, certainly not to describe something that does not fit the full word it abbreviates.  But look at your final sentence in the quote above, and think about how you came to adopt that definition of the word "progressive."

Again, you may not like this, but terms have specific meanings, and spontaneously changing them when you for some reason can't say what you mean with the word "experimental" confuses exactly everybody.

Exactly!  Terms DO have specific meanings!  The definition of the word progressive "spontaneously changed" in a musical context a few decades ago, possibly for good reason, but does that mean that it necessarily still applies to everything we're told it does?  I'm not going to just start using it any way I want to obviously, because that would be unnecessarily confusing.  But I can still point out the absurdity of misapplying it.

I have no problem with the word "experimental," I think it's a great word in some ways to describe what I'm talking about.  But that doesn't make "progressive rock" NOT a misnomer when used to just mean funny time signatures and 20 minute songs. :lol

By the same token, what's wrong with using a word like "technical" to say what YOU actually mean?  It describes what you seem to be saying much better than "progressive."  Man, it'd be a lot less confusing if you could just say what you mean by using the word "technical." ::)

And looking at "progressive" as a standalone adjective is off topic here, we're talking genre names.

Why are we limited to genre names?  All we're doing is using words to try to describe music.  I know very little and care to know even less about what constitutes the difference between arbitrary genre labels.  Frankly they tell you remarkably little about the music they claim to describe.

Anyway, I agree with everybody saying this is the dumbest argument ever, and yet here I am having it. :biggrin:

-J

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1821 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »
^Couldn't agree more. That's a huge pet peeve of mine.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1822 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
Arguing semantics is always awful because believe it or not, words do change over time. They can also mean different things at the same time. It's just not worth the effort to argue which is correct.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1823 on: September 30, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
Honestly, whenever the whole "prog/progressive" argument comes up, I realize how trivial genre labels are. What does it even matter? The only classification that matters is whether it's good or not to you. And as long as it's good, who gives a crap if it's progressive, or prog, or polkacore, or folk slop?

Really getting sick of this debate.  Genre labels might be the most meaningless, mind-numbingly dull things for music fans to talk about, and yet the issue comes up every week DT-side.

No, "progressive" does not literally mean "changing".  I do not actually have to think a band is "progressing" in order to call them "progressive", nor do I have to think that a band is made of stone if I call them "rock" or that they have anything to do with the mail if I call them "post". 

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #1824 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »
Honestly, whenever the whole "prog/progressive" argument comes up, I realize how trivial genre labels are. What does it even matter? The only classification that matters is whether it's good or not to you. And as long as it's good, who gives a crap if it's progressive, or prog, or polkacore, or folk slop?
I usually hate having to bring up talk about what genre is this or that band because at the end its all about whether is something you like listening to or not instead of worrying in what group it belongs too.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1825 on: September 30, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »
nor do I have to think that a band is made of stone if I call them "rock"
JESUS MARIE, It's a mineral!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1826 on: September 30, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
No, "progressive" does not literally mean "changing".  I do not actually have to think a band is "progressing" in order to call them "progressive", nor do I have to think that a band is made of stone if I call them "rock" or that they have anything to do with the mail if I call them "post".

Totally agreed.

The problem I have with post rock though, is that it's pretty heavy and expensive to ship.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1827 on: September 30, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »
Really, all music is art. Even KrotchRaut. It was created, like a painting. A really shitty painting, and there are plenty of those in Museums.

To me that kind of definition of art renders the term meaningless. Art is clearly more than just mere creation. See below in my sig.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1828 on: September 30, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
Arguing semantics is always awful because believe it or not, words do change over time. They can also mean different things at the same time. It's just not worth the effort to argue which is correct.

Implode just won the argument, guys. Show's over.

Back to controversial opinions, I think they need to experiment more with the ambient sections
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1829 on: October 01, 2013, 03:04:45 AM »

Two genres, Good and Bad music  :xbones
Meaning, don't matter the genre if the songwriting is great.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1830 on: October 01, 2013, 06:00:19 AM »
My brother-in-law recently asked me what makes a band progressive.  I stammered over random words for a few minutes while confusing him further.  It's not easy to define and furthermore it's not a strict definition.  Bands from Pink Floyd to Tool have been labeled progressive while neither band sounds anything like the other. It's not a specific sound or even style. It's more about breaking through the boundaries of music and introducing something fresh, among other things.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1831 on: October 01, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
I like the idea of literal sounding music genres!

Here are a few that spring to mind:

The blues

Rock

Metal

Country (well....close enough).

This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1832 on: October 01, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »
The latest "James on CIM" thread brought this thought to my mind: while James' range was godlike in the I&W days and he reached some impressive notes, I think he overused the gritty vocal style and the high screams. Of course his vocals sound cool on those early live releases and bootlegs, but the original vocal melodies (on both WDADU and I&W) sound more pleasant to my ears and I think the raspy tone sounds a bit too aggressive on the I&W stuff, although it fits Awake perfectly. In the few bootlegs from the ADTOE tour I've heard James sounds better than ever IMO.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1833 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
I like the idea of literal sounding music genres!

Rock?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1834 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
Came up with a new name for a debut album due to you guys:

The Divide Between Stone and Steel

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1835 on: October 02, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »

Sounds cool.......but its more like the next book title for the Game of Thrones series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1836 on: October 03, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

Sounds cool.......but its more like the next book title for the Game of Thrones series.

Wait really

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1837 on: October 03, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »

Any album with the word "steel" in its name will get pigeon-hold in a microsecond.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1838 on: October 03, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
It's a great title for a Manowar album.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1839 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »

Wait really

Not 'really'.....I just think it sounds like a perfect title to fit that Series
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1840 on: October 03, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
Probably not all that controversial to many, but I think DT12 may make it into my top 3 DT albums and I have never once thought that from ToT forward.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1841 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
Probably not all that controversial to many, but I think DT12 may make it into my top 3 DT albums and I have never once thought that from ToT forward.

Depends on the person, but I totally agree with you. I really think they've made an amazing album, and while it won't be my #1, it's absolutely amazing that they made an album this great this far into their career. Not that I ever doubted they could.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1842 on: October 05, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »

I think it's in my bottom two or three.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1843 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
The bottle synth solo in Along For The Ride exceeds his older brother's (BTS) already remarkable level of awesomeness.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1844 on: October 05, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
The bottle synth solo in Along For The Ride exceeds his older brother's (BTS) already remarkable level of awesomeness.

I agree. AFTR exceeds BTS's level of awesomeness in general imo, and BTS is one of my favourites from ADTOE.

Offline djentlemen

• they took my fucking ship yargh argh
« Reply #1845 on: October 07, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
DT was better with MP, even though ADTOE and DT12 are great albums, they really lack that DT feel. the music just sounds like its from another band.

man i miss MP :-\
life is like a shlong , it gets hard for no reason

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: October 07, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
DT was better with MP, even though ADTOE and DT12 are great albums, they really lack that DT feel. the music just sounds like its from another band.

I actually feel the opposite and think things are a step up from when MP was in the band.  For one, MP's lyrics were also personal rants, but JP and JM craft their words in such a way that the topics are relatable to the masses.  I also find DT's music much more consistently beautiful post-MP, which I tend to like.  But it's just a matter of preference, I suppose!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1847 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
I like both solos equally, but as a song I vastly prefer BTS, even though AFTR is nice and one of the few highlights of DT12 for me.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1848 on: October 07, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »
FII is a classic DT album.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #1849 on: October 07, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
Constant Motion, Lie, and Anna Lee are 3 of my favorite DT songs.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1850 on: October 07, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
Enigma Machine is in the top 3 on DT12.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline 425

« Reply #1851 on: October 07, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »

I agree with parts of this. Dream Theater w/ MM does sound quite different from Dream Theater w/ MP. But really, that's always been the case for DT whenever they got a new member. Does Dream Theater w/ KM sound quite different than Dream Theater w/ JR? Yes, of course it does! I think it's that way simply because of the way they write songs.

So, yes, we're in a new era of DT with a new sound. And yeah, I would love to hear a new Dream Theater album with Mike Portnoy (where would he have taken them next after BCSL?), even though I love Mangini and think he's definitely a better fit for the band. Much like how I would love to hear a new Dream Theater album with Kevin Moore, even though I love love love Jordan and think he's a better fit than KM was.

Ultimately, though, I don't want MP back. I think the band, particularly JM and JLB, are happier now, and I am excited to hear the great music that they will create in this new style. I think, while they are stylistically different from the other DT albums (then again so are the first four very different from SFAM-BCSL, and often different from each other), that these last two are among the best albums of their career, with many consistently good songs and a number of great songs.

Then again, I'm one of those fans that adores 99% of what the band has put out and I would probably put at least one song from every single album in my top 20. What I've found is that I'm adapting to the new style and learning to love it (successfully), just as I had to adapt to the JR albums as compared to the KM albums when I got those.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1852 on: October 07, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
Systematic Chaos + Black Clouds is the BEST pair of consecutive albums in DT's catalogue, not the worst.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1853 on: October 07, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Systematic Chaos + Black Clouds is the BEST pair of consecutive albums in DT's catalogue, not the worst.
Lol.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1854 on: October 07, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

Go home XBOBX, you're drunk.