Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998776 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1470 on: August 28, 2013, 04:44:59 AM »
(SYSTEMATIC CHAOS IS MORE CONSISTENT THAN IMAGES AND WORDS, GUYS)
Yeah, it's more consistently weak :biggrin:

Hey, get your boring and predictable, non-controversial (also untrue) opinions out of here.  :hat

:hifive:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:39 AM »
Even if i like SC a lot, i could never call it consistent  :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1472 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:20 AM »
CM is not that great, same with the samples-from-other-guys section of Repentance, but at least it doesn't have four boring songs in a row like I&W has.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1473 on: August 28, 2013, 05:24:12 AM »
CM is not that great, same with the samples-from-other-guys section of Repentance, but at least it doesn't have four boring songs in a row like I&W has.

Seriously, which four songs are you thinking of?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: August 28, 2013, 05:32:52 AM »
He probably meant Images & Words has 4 boring MINUTES in a row - which are the 4 minutes before you start listening to Images & Words.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1475 on: August 28, 2013, 05:33:02 AM »
Pull Me Under - Another Day - Take The Time - Surrounded

I like Surrounded quite a bit, but it's still incredible that these songs are on the same album as the following four, which are simply excellent.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1476 on: August 28, 2013, 05:33:06 AM »
I've been listening more to Train of Thought lately and I think it is a very solid album. I think most instrumental sections fit the themes of the songs perfectly, and the lyrics and music make a genuinely emotional impact. It's growing on me again and I think it might end up as one of my favorite DT records alongside SDOIT, I&W and Awake. Thus the controversial opinion here: I like ToT better than SFAM.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1477 on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
TOT is a lot better than just "solid".

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1478 on: August 28, 2013, 05:37:43 AM »

I like Surrounded quite a bit, but it's still incredible that these songs are on the same album as the following four, which are simply excellent.

Two of my top 10 ever are there. You've just killed me :( I can't understand how will someone consider TTT boring. I think that song is everything but boring, even if you don't like it  :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1479 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »
It just doesn't excite me in the slightest, so I think I can call it a boring song (in my opinion of course, it's great that you and most others like it).

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1480 on: August 28, 2013, 05:49:51 AM »
Two of my top 10 ever are there. You've just killed me :( I can't understand how will someone consider TTT boring. I think that song is everything but boring, even if you don't like it  :lol

I love every song on I&W, but if I had to throw one away, it would definitely be TTT. I think it's the most overrated song on the album, considering how much praise it gets.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1481 on: August 28, 2013, 05:57:22 AM »
To my ears, TTT sounds as pure awesomeness.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1482 on: August 28, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »

I love every song on I&W, but if I had to throw one away, it would definitely be TTT. I think it's the most overrated song on the album, considering how much praise it gets.
+1
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1483 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:10 AM »

To my ears, TTT sounds like angels dancing on a cloud made of sex while unicorns weep tears of joy from their pillow fortress.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1484 on: August 28, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »
Absolutely, I think that TTT is the freshest DT song. Always powerful, always uplifting. Best DT with LTL IMO.

To my ears, TTT sounds like angels dancing on a cloud made of sex while unicorns weep tears of joy from their pillow fortress.

Agreed  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: August 28, 2013, 06:48:15 AM »
It's actually funny that i think TTT may be DT's best work from the songwriting point of view but it's one of the songs i care less about in I&W (Which means nothing).

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1486 on: August 28, 2013, 07:36:21 AM »

The same.

I've been listening more to Train of Thought lately and I think it is a very solid album. I think most instrumental sections fit the themes of the songs perfectly, and the lyrics and music make a genuinely emotional impact. It's growing on me again and I think it might end up as one of my favorite DT records alongside SDOIT, I&W and Awake. Thus the controversial opinion here: I like ToT better than SFAM.

My controversial opinion about Train of Thought: it's my least favourite DT album. I don't enjoy that heavy music often, and James sounds rather weak. I don't know why, and I know he is able to sing even heavier music (I like Elements of Persuasion). And the songs aren't very good, except Honor Thy Father, Vacant and SOC. The only song I dislike, however, is As I Am.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1487 on: August 28, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »

Those are three of my favorites on the album.

Honestly, I think the entire album is really strong, so even ones that I like less are still excellent songs.

Oh wait, controversial options...

Uh....

Scenes from a Memory is boring! Am I doing it right? :neverusethis:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1488 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »
My controversial opinion about Train of Thought: it's my least favourite DT album. I don't enjoy that heavy music often, and James sounds rather weak. I don't know why, and I know he is able to sing even heavier music (I like Elements of Persuasion). And the songs aren't very good, except Honor Thy Father, Vacant and SOC. The only song I dislike, however, is As I Am.

no

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1489 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »

The same.

THANK YOU. I mean it's probably not at the levels of despise that I dwell in, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that ranks it squarely at bottom.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1490 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
It's actually funny that i think TTT may be DT's best work from the songwriting point of view

I don't see how. Seems like a pretty average DT song to me. (which still makes it great in the grand scheme of music) But nothing about the songwriting makes it better than Metropolis, Learning to Live, or any of their other greats.
And those lyrics: "It's time to take the time"  :lol

Also reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7p1dyF7x0
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1491 on: August 28, 2013, 12:54:41 PM »
It's actually funny that i think TTT may be DT's best work from the songwriting point of view

I don't see how. Seems like a pretty average DT song to me. (which still makes it great in the grand scheme of music) But nothing about the songwriting makes it better than Metropolis, Learning to Live, or any of their other greats.
And those lyrics: "It's time to take the time"  :lol

Also reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7p1dyF7x0

That's hilarious, because I actually don't like Learning To Live as much. And incidentally, Metropolis and Under A Glass Moon have grown on me exponentially recently.

Edit: I want Dream Theater to redo TTT just like that video for the tour next year. Is it too late to request that? :lol
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1492 on: August 28, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
Cut I&W songs > Uncut
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1493 on: August 28, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »

I don't completely agree with this, but I definitely see where you're coming from. Pull Me Under, Another Day, and Take The Time are not up to par with the other songs on the album (although I don't think any of them are particularly bad, so to speak).

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1494 on: August 28, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
Lost Not Forgotten and Bridges In The Sky are the most cohesive songs in ADTOE.
Breaking All Illusions i despise because it's just a failed attempt to be learning to live again, if you understand what i'm saying... just dump all song, take 9:05-9:50 and make a new song  >:(
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1495 on: August 28, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Another Day is my favorite song from Images and Words.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1496 on: August 28, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
Breaking All Illusions i despise because it's just a failed attempt to be learning to live again, if you understand what i'm saying... just dump all song, take 9:05-9:50 and make a new song  >:(
I don't understand at all  :huh:

Outcry, Lost Not Forgotten, and Bridges In the Sky are the top 3 songs on ADToE regardless, but the entire album is hella radular

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1497 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »

It's funny you say this because Lost Not Forgotten is just a failed attempt to be Under a Glass Moon again.

If you understand what I'm saying.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1498 on: August 28, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
Because there are various parts in the song that sounds like LtL, in terms of structure.
In the middle, a section that resembles ITPOE intro and theme comes out of nowhere and after that, finally comes that "they didn't know what to do" part, so, put a Petrucci solo in it, so the fans can mast***bate or whatever

Offline 425

« Reply #1499 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would complain about a long, non-pointlessly-shreddy guitar solo. I love it when a skilled guitarist like Petrucci takes a minute or two or even more to play a well-constructed solo. To me, that part is one of the highlights of BAI. Similarly, the guitar solo is my favorite part of several other songs like Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand and the Goodnight Kiss movement of SDOIT.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1500 on: August 28, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would complain about a long, non-pointlessly-shreddy guitar solo. I love it when a skilled guitarist like Petrucci takes a minute or two or even more to play a well-constructed solo. To me, that part is one of the highlights of BAI. Similarly, the guitar solo is my favorite part of several other songs like Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand and the Goodnight Kiss movement of SDOIT.

The diference is that in ToQQ, LitS and G :-*, the solos are much more inspired, well constructed and memorable... it doesn't compare

Offline 425

« Reply #1501 on: August 28, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
Well, I personally think that the BAI solo is very inspired and memorable, but... opinions.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1502 on: August 28, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
But you would agree that BAI solo is better than any of these other ones you said?

Offline 425

« Reply #1503 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
I don't think it's better. Trial of Tears is probably my favorite of all those. But I think it's definitely in the same league as the ones I listed. And even if it wasn't, it would still be very good.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1504 on: August 28, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
I am still amazed when someone tries to push their likes on another like it's gospel.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:20:29 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC