Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 409220 times)

Offline Onearmedmidget

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2135 on: September 14, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Short review. I haven't cared for any of the past JL releases. This one is surprisingly amazing. The melodic choruses are out of this world catchy. Honestly one of my fav albums of the year, it's so enjoyable. It seems Matt or whomever can get James to really come out strong and have some great climaxes in songs.  I feel dream theater hasn't unleashed this from him in a while. Look how subdued song like Along for the Ride end or Bridges in the Sky end.

3 Fav songs which should have been the singles ;)
Lost in the fire
Undertow
Back on the ground

2 least Fav
Amnesia
Holding On

I want to buy the iTunes album but I want the friggin bonus tracks. Please add them, it sucks to buy the album and not have the official versions included it.

Great album, can listen to it straight through. Your efforts truly show through to the final product.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2136 on: September 14, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
You could just buy the special edition CD (if it's still available), which includes the bonus tracks, since itunes sucks anyway :P

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2137 on: September 15, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »
From twitter:

"By the way. Won't be doing a solo tour until the next DT world tour wraps up. Please be patient, I can assure you it will be worth the wait."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: September 15, 2013, 05:21:18 AM »
I'm sure everyone would have assumed that.  Wouldn't expect them to think about touring until after DT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: September 16, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »
Okay, this album is constantly on repeat in my car, it's quite phenominal.  The poppiness and sometimes lack of instrumental sections is completely not an issue anymore and the songs have opened up to be masterpieces, nothing filler here at all.  This has potential to be my album of the year.  I'm not gonna bother comparing it to SI either as they are both so different style wise, both are strong at what they do.

Oh, and for another controversial opinion, my favourite song on the album is easily Lost in the Fire.  What a fucking masterpiece this is, it should be making the band millions.  And the word 'fire' at around the 3:09 mark of the song is easily one of James' best vocal moments ever.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #2140 on: September 16, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
And the word 'fire' at around the 3:09 mark of the song is easily one of James' best vocal moments ever.

Like FIREEEEEE (fiiiiiiiiiiiiireheeeeeeheheeeeeee!!!!) in REM's "The one I love"?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: September 16, 2013, 07:55:07 PM »
Holy shit yes! Can't wait! Are you going to do all the vocals?
Also, i think i really prefer IR over SI, the songs are more catchy and better overall.

Thanks! As for the vocals... right now, I plan on doing them. That could change though if I find someone I feel is better for the songs.

Cheers,
Matt

LO :heart ED Static Impulse and now I can't stop playing " I Got You. " One of the catchiest songs i've heard in a long long time !

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2142 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
Okay, here's the deal with me and this album:  I have purposely NOT posted my reaction to it.  Why?  Well...I'm generally the kind of person where, if I don't enjoy something, unless there's a reason to speak up, I'd rather just keep it to myself and politely not say anything at all.  First couple of listens, I just wasn't really connecting with this album at all.  And, honestly, while I thought Elements was "good," I haven't really felt a desire to listen to it in a long time, and after listening to SI a couple of times, I liked that album even less.  I was resigned to put IR below both of those.

So, then, why do I feel compelled to post now?  I had a couple of days last month where I had to do some road trips for work, so I popped the CD in.  3  things were different:  Better speakers.  More appropriate volume for this kind of music.  More time to take in and digest what I was hearing.  And those three elements combined made me look at this album in a completely different light.  Having done that, I have to say, this album is fantastic on every single level.  My opinion has done a complete 180.  On my recent vacation, I logged about 2,700 miles, and had this album in the CD player constantly.  And I am just floored with how good it is.  And one of my favorite aspects of the entire thing is just the songwriting craft that went into it, beautifully combining pop with extreme metal elements.  This is easily my favorite James LaBrie album by a HUGE margin, and I foresee it being in my top 3 albums of 2013.  I am not sure yet where in my top 3 it will end up, but I am pleasantly surprised that my top 3 suddenly became very competitive with the release of this album.  VERY well done, Matt.  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2143 on: September 17, 2013, 02:08:04 AM »
 :tup
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2144 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:27 AM »
I DON'T NEED STARS I CAN WISH UPON AND I DON'T NEED SOME MAGICIAN WITH A MAGIC WAND  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: September 17, 2013, 04:28:20 AM »
Okay, here's the deal with me and this album:  I have purposely NOT posted my reaction to it.  Why?  Well...I'm generally the kind of person where, if I don't enjoy something, unless there's a reason to speak up, I'd rather just keep it to myself and politely not say anything at all.  First couple of listens, I just wasn't really connecting with this album at all.  And, honestly, while I thought Elements was "good," I haven't really felt a desire to listen to it in a long time, and after listening to SI a couple of times, I liked that album even less.  I was resigned to put IR below both of those.

So, then, why do I feel compelled to post now?  I had a couple of days last month where I had to do some road trips for work, so I popped the CD in.  3  things were different:  Better speakers.  More appropriate volume for this kind of music.  More time to take in and digest what I was hearing.  And those three elements combined made me look at this album in a completely different light.  Having done that, I have to say, this album is fantastic on every single level.  My opinion has done a complete 180.  On my recent vacation, I logged about 2,700 miles, and had this album in the CD player constantly.  And I am just floored with how good it is.  And one of my favorite aspects of the entire thing is just the songwriting craft that went into it, beautifully combining pop with extreme metal elements.  This is easily my favorite James LaBrie album by a HUGE margin, and I foresee it being in my top 3 albums of 2013.  I am not sure yet where in my top 3 it will end up, but I am pleasantly surprised that my top 3 suddenly became very competitive with the release of this album.  VERY well done, Matt.  :clap:

Yeah, well said boss.  It seems to keep getting better and better with every listen.  It's still on repeat in my car and I have no intention of turning it off.  Love it.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2146 on: September 17, 2013, 04:35:46 AM »
I DON'T NEED STARS I CAN WISH UPON AND I DON'T NEED SOME MAGICIAN WITH A MAGIC WAND  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Song of the year. F*cking unbelieveable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: September 17, 2013, 06:19:43 AM »

Song of the year. F*cking unbelieveable.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2148 on: September 17, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
I think Why may be even better. Holy shit. After not listening for about a month, I gave IR another listen and my disliking of some of the tracks has decreased, while the tracks I liked got even better! Gonna give it a few more spins the coming days  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2149 on: September 17, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
So far IR blows DT12 out of the water IMO (mind you I haven't listened to DT12 properly yet... just bits and pieces so far). IR has so much replay value!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2150 on: September 17, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
So most of you seem to prefer IR over SI? I enjoy IR a lot, but SI still blows it out of the water IMO. I just can't help but do ridiculous semi-dance-headbanging moves and sing along as loud as I can when listening to SI. Such a phenomenal album :heart :letam: :2metal: :metal

EDIT: stupid typo.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2151 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
So most of you seem to prefer IR over SI? I enjoy IR a lot, but SI still blows it out of the water IMO. I just can't help but do ridiculous semi-dance-headbanging moves and song along as loud as I can when listening to SI. Such a phenomenal album :heart :letam: :2metal: :metal
I prefer SI to IR by quite a large margin.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2152 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »
*boss's opinion*

I wholeheartedly agree that this album is absolutely amazing if played while driving! I particularly enjoyed cranking this one in the car as well :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2153 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »
Okay, this album is constantly on repeat in my car, it's quite phenominal.  The poppiness and sometimes lack of instrumental sections is completely not an issue anymore and the songs have opened up to be masterpieces, nothing filler here at all.  This has potential to be my album of the year.  I'm not gonna bother comparing it to SI either as they are both so different style wise, both are strong at what they do.

Oh, and for another controversial opinion, my favourite song on the album is easily Lost in the Fire.  What a fucking masterpiece this is, it should be making the band millions.  And the word 'fire' at around the 3:09 mark of the song is easily one of James' best vocal moments ever.

Yeah, probably my favorite on the album as well.  Although, a lot of other songs are stuck in my head too.  Even when I'm not listening to the album, I'm still listening to it in my head.  Same thing happened with SI, but now I'm starting to think that IR is better.  Amazing stuff!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2154 on: September 17, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »
*boss's opinion*
I wholeheartedly agree that this album is absolutely amazing if played while driving! I particularly enjoyed cranking this one in the car as well :)
Me too (when I could drive on my own last month)!

My favorite song on IR has to be Slight of Hand - the keyboard intro is cool, the chorus is freaking catchy (YOU'LL NEVER CONVINCE MEEEE!) and James' vocals in the bridge are awesome :hefdaddy

I listened to Elements of Persuasion today... It's not as good as the latest 2 albums, but Slightly Out of Reach stood out as an amazing song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2155 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »
Elements has some cool songs, but now I have to be in the mood to listen to the album in one sitting. Although I'll listen to a song individually.

Impermanent Resonance is just amazing. I'd rank it and SI equally as I enjoy them both the same.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2156 on: September 17, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
My favorite song on IR has to be Slight of Hand - the keyboard intro is cool, the chorus is freaking catchy (YOU'LL NEVER CONVINCE MEEEE!) and James' vocals in the bridge are awesome :hefdaddy
Oh man, absolutely.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2157 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

The intro is actually Peter Wichers' guitar. ;)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2158 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
Slight Of Hand is my highligt too, together with the opener and Lost In The Fire!

"I walk away a better man, from something you don't understand!" :2metal:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: September 17, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

Seriously?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2160 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »

Seriously?

Yep. That atmospheric 8th note vibe and L/R panning is Peter's guitar. There is a synth part underneath it, but it's just a single note that is held out and fades up with an automated envelope filter before the rest of the band kicks in.

-Matt

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: September 17, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
Well shit...

I learn something new every day!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2162 on: September 17, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
I seriously thought it was keyboard too, even if it felt a bit too sharp of an attack for a normal keyboard. Great to learn those subtleties from the mind that conceived them! :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2163 on: September 17, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
Song rankings?

Not set in stone, but I've got...

Amnesia
Agony
I Got You
Lost in the Fire
Say You're Still Mine
Undertow
Slight of Hand
Back on the Ground
Destined to Burn
Letting Go
I Will Not Break
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2164 on: September 17, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »

Glad you hung in there Bosk1 and gave it more listens.  It is truly an amazing album.  I hope you also decide to give SI another shot.  I think you'll start liking that one a lot with more listens as well.  Rock n roll!
 :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2165 on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
From twitter:

"By the way. Won't be doing a solo tour until the next DT world tour wraps up. Please be patient, I can assure you it will be worth the wait."

Aye aye, Cap'ns! :CJS:

I should give IR more listens but... you know... DT12 and all... :biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: September 17, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »
Woah, I had no idea it was a guitar! :o There are lots of interesting guitar effects I'm not familiar with.

Song ranking (like seneca's, this isn't set in stone and may change):

Slight of Hand
Undertow (apparently this title is a guarantee for greatness :D)
Letting Go
I Got You
Agony
Amnesia
Lost in the Fire
I Will Not Break
Back on the Ground
Say You're Still Mine
Holding On
Destined to Burn
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:13:01 AM by ? »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2167 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:45 PM »
Superb to know that Sleight Of Hand's intro is guitar, that's insanely awesome. I'm still spinning this album every now and then, but I'm being very careful to not kill it as I have so many other albums that I love just as much; then don't listen to them for a long while. In this case, I think that's almost impossible to do, but even so...

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FORGET YOU
ANYWAY
ANYHOW
 :metal :metal :millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2168 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:33 AM »
Song ranking for IR:

Why
I Got You
Agony

Amnesia
Holding On
I Will Not Break
Lost in the Fire
Undertow
Destined to Burn
Letting Go
Back on the Ground

Say You're Still Mine
Slight of Hand
Unraveling
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:47:29 AM by Onno »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: September 18, 2013, 04:44:16 AM »
BTW, I forgot to ask something in my last post: how much of the guitars on the album are played by Wichers?