Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 409228 times)

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1645 on: July 23, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
Hey Matt, I'm going to warn you in advance that this is a weird question, but how do you pronounce your last name? For some reason it baffles me.

Gill (hard G, rhymes with hill) or-ee

Gill-or-ee

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1646 on: July 23, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
I don't know if we have a general  (Solo + Side Project) Labrie discussion
This is it, this is the one, we also talked Mullmuzzler stuff in here :laugh:

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record...
*finds something new for Matt to talk about* :angel:

One thing that always interested me in the whole story - well, two things:
1) the huge gap between the second Mullmuzzler record and EoP makes me wonder which was the first song written for Elements, and how did you guys "find" each other again - was it a matter of not losing contact and occasionally talking about doing another record, or was it a "omg let's do another record" somewhere a year or so before it came out.

2) During the writing for Static Impulse, how did it exactly go from "let's make it heavier with some harsher vocals in there" to "let's find someone who can do screams and growls, make it REALLY METAL"?

Bonus question: on the DT side of the forum some people were reminiscing about how Elements was was labelled as Octavarium on some illegal sharing sites to mess with people, and how people totally believed that, so I guess the question is - how does it feel like to be mistaken for Jordan Rudess :laugh:

RE: Question 1 -  "Slightly Out Of Reach" was the first song written for EoP. Throughout our 15 year history of working together, James and I have always remained in contact. We knew would wanted to make another album after MM2. The big gap in between MM2 and EoP was only because we were both so busy with other commitments. If memory serves me correctly, we started working on EoP in 2003. Seems like it took *forever* to get that album done! Another thing worth mentioning is that we had another full album worth of material we were going to record as a follow-up to EoP, (in 2006) but those songs eventually were shelved.

RE: Question 2 - To be honest, I actually wanted to have screaming on EoP, but the material (imo) wasn't really calling for it. It didn't really make sense. The back story is this.... Mike (Mangini) was working on the drums for Static Impulse but because of the timing and logistics involved, we had to seek another drummer for Static Impulse. Fortunately, Peter Wildoer was recommended to me through a mutual friend of ours, Teddy Möller. By that time, I had already written a significant amount of material for Static Impulse, and I knew the songs really needed some screaming and after discussing the material with Peter, I asked him if he could recommend any screamers. He was like, "Well, Bjorn Strid is a very good friend of mine. I could ask him. Or, if you're interested, I could do it!" I had no idea that Peter could do screams, AND do them well! He sent me some songs with him screaming and I was floored. I passed it along to James and he was floored as well, so it was on! That's how the whole screaming thing came about.

RE: Bonus Q - LOL I have to say, being mistaken for Jordan is much more pleasant than having to play in front of him! Our very first show of the EoP tour, Jordan came out to see us and I have NEVER been *so* nervous in my life. Talk about pressure! I wanted to go to a dark corner of the venue and crawl into the fetal position. LOL Seriously though, aside from being a monster player, Jordan is such a sweetheart and he has always been so kind to me over the years. I don't think I sound like him at all, but I consider any comparison to him a HUGE compliment! :)

Cheers,
Matt
Wow, that's pretty interesting! Gosh I can imagine how terrifying playing in front of Jordan is :lol I remember reading some post-EoP interview that mentioned you were planning on another album pretty soon but obviously that didn't happen. Still, Static Impulse has become one of my favorite albums so it's good everything turned out exactly the way it did.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1647 on: July 23, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
Hey Matt, I'm going to warn you in advance that this is a weird question, but how do you pronounce your last name? For some reason it baffles me.

Gill-or-ee
Thanks, Matt! :D

I know it's weird, but it's bugging me forever! :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: July 23, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

Gill-or-ee
Thanks, Matt! :D

I know it's weird, but it's bugging me forever! :lol
You could have just listened to one of many inties where James pronounces it with surgical precision :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1649 on: July 23, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Yeah, but that would have made sense, therefore I avoided that route.

actually I never thought of that...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: July 23, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
Yeah, but that would have made sense, therefore I avoided that route.

actually I never thought of that...
It's okay, we still love you. :heart

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1651 on: July 23, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »
:blush

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1652 on: July 23, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
Being a keyboard player and playing in front of Jordan actually was the subject of a nightmare I had a couple of years ago. I can imagine the pressure, it's sort of what happened to Richard Feyman when he found out that Neils Bohr and Albert Einstein were going to attend his first university seminar.  :lol

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1653 on: July 23, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Matt, I don't remember what I had going that day that I couldn't make it, but I still hate myself for missing that first or second show in NJ. Have many people I know that went and all said many good things, and I wish I could have been there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: July 23, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
Matt, I've never heard your name said, and have wondered myself. Thank you SN2.0 for asking!

And I always thought you looked like a long-haired Stephen Baldwin in this SI picture. 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: July 23, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
Matt, I've never heard your name said, and have wondered myself. Thank you SN2.0 for asking!

And I always thought you looked like a long-haired Stephen Baldwin in this SI picture. 

Speaking of pictures, I love that one photosession with almost matching sneakers :biggrin:

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1656 on: July 23, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »
Matt, I don't remember what I had going that day that I couldn't make it, but I still hate myself for missing that first or second show in NJ. Have many people I know that went and all said many good things, and I wish I could have been there.

It was a fun show, but a bit nerve-wracking considering it was the first of the tour. Russell Allen, Mike Portnoy and Vitalij Kuprij also showed up. Good times.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1657 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:45 PM »
Since Matt is here to answer questions, I got one for him.

What are the chances of a tour?

I was really pumped for the SI show that was going to be in Raleigh Thanksgiving weekend when that album came out since three hours is about as close as I can reasonally expect to get for any band, then it had to get scrubbed.  With a new DT album about to drop, it seems like the timing isn't going to be there this time.  Please tell me I'm reading the tea leaves wrong, this yankee in rural SC needs to rock out.  Also, make sure any tour hits Raleigh or Charlotte on a weekend.  Or you can come play at my college if that works for you ;)  Just be warned, that no one here knows why I love my parking permit that is number 2112...that's the kind of crowd you'd be working with.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1658 on: July 23, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »
Damn, I really, really love the keyboard in I Tried.  :heart :heart :millahhhh :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1659 on: July 23, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »

I was really pumped for the SI show that was going to be in Raleigh Thanksgiving weekend when that album came out since three hours is about as close as I can reasonally expect to get for any band, then it had to get scrubbed.  With a new DT album about to drop, it seems like the timing isn't going to be there this time.  Please tell me I'm reading the tea leaves wrong, this yankee in rural SC needs to rock out.  Also, make sure any tour hits Raleigh or Charlotte on a weekend.  Or you can come play at my college if that works for you ;)  Just be warned, that no one here knows why I love my parking permit that is number 2112...that's the kind of crowd you'd be working with.

This question has understandably been asked quite a bit in the recent interviews James and I have been doing.

We all were REALLY bummed when the SI tour fell through. The reality is that it takes a lot of time and planning/logistics to set up a tour properly. With Dream Theater releasing a new album in September and those guys gearing up for a promo campaign in the next few weeks, and then touring to support it... it makes it really tough for us to go out do a proper tour in the near future. With that said, I think it's fair to say it's inevitable that we will tour at some point. Let's face it. We're ALL fired up to play this stuff live. Realistically, we don't see this happening until the DT machine winds down and that would be after their touring is done.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1660 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
Damn, I really, really love the keyboard in I Tried.  :heart :heart :millahhhh :metal

Me too, the melody and groove are tight.  It along with Just Watch Me are my favorites.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1661 on: July 23, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »
Me too, the whole song is probably my favorite on the album besides This is War :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1662 on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
I agree with both of you!  :lol both the songs you each named are my favorites aside I Tried. This is getting me PUMPED for IR.

Although..if I'm honest, I think Over The Edge may have taken the spot of Just Watch Me. That FURRGIN CHORUS! It's so POWER.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1663 on: July 23, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »
I agree with both of you!  :lol both the songs you each named are my favorites aside I Tried. This is getting me PUMPED for IR.

Although..if I'm honest, I think Over The Edge may have taken the spot of Just Watch Me. That FURRGIN CHORUS! It's so POWER.

:lol that is funny how we worded it almost the same. Think I'll listen to BOTG and Agony,  then SI. Guys got me pumped up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1664 on: July 23, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa, there was more material written around the time of EoP?!?!?!?!?

What do we have to do to bribe you to let us hear some of it?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1665 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »

This question has understandably been asked quite a bit in the recent interviews James and I have been doing.

We all were REALLY bummed when the SI tour fell through. The reality is that it takes a lot of time and planning/logistics to set up a tour properly. With Dream Theater releasing a new album in September and those guys gearing up for a promo campaign in the next few weeks, and then touring to support it... it makes it really tough for us to go out do a proper tour in the near future. With that said, I think it's fair to say it's inevitable that we will tour at some point. Let's face it. We're ALL fired up to play this stuff live. Realistically, we don't see this happening until the DT machine winds down and that would be after their touring is done.

Cheers,
Matt

Bummer, but I've got to say that whenever you get the opportunity to tour your shows are gonna be extremely amazing considering you also got to play Static Impulse material!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1666 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
Edit: irrelevant
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:57:52 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1667 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
Okay lucien, this is the JAMES LABRIE IMPERMANENT RESONANCE thread, keep Dream Theater to Dream Theater topics pleeeeaaaasssseeee. And I'm sure Matt can't really go into that anyways.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1668 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
Okay lucien, this is the JAMES LABRIE IMPERMANENT RESONANCE thread, keep Dream Theater to Dream Theater topics pleeeeaaaasssseeee. And I'm sure Matt can't really go into that anyways.

Lol, okay. It just surprised me a little.

Back on the Ground is a really nice sound, I don't like Agony as much. I'll probably buy the album.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1669 on: July 23, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »

NOW THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION  :tup WANNA HEAR

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »
Hey Matt (or anyone else),

I saw at least three different editions of IR: standard CD, limited edition CD and vinyl+CD bundle. Then I read this from Wikipedia:
There will also be two limited 180gr. vinyl editions: a black version and a white version. Both versions will include a bonus CD with the full album and the bonus tracks featured on the European Digipak edition.

I found that the limited edition CD is the same price than vinyl+CD, but how's that possible? Am I getting this right or should I buy a vinyl+CD version, because I would get more stuff with the same amount of money? And is either of these vinyl versions rarer than the other?
Here's a link: https://www.emp.fi/search/james%20labrie/
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1671 on: July 24, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
Yet another question about the desired tour - what kind of songs will be there? I know SI and IR are kind of a given, and even EoP is likely to be there. I'm also aware that James, you, and most of the fans DIDN'T want DT songs to be there. But what about Mullmuzzler songs? I love so many of these songs, especially from Mullmuzzler 2, and while it would make for a rather weird, or otherwise extremely dynamic and diverse setlist (depending on how you look at it :P), it would be so great to see them played live.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: July 24, 2013, 06:31:42 AM »

Probably nothing :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1673 on: July 24, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
Just got an email from Amazon that my copy has been shipped :caffeine:

so excite!!!!!!!11!!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: July 24, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
Dammit, 2 more weeks before I can get the album: https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/labrie_james/impermanent_resonance/  :-\

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: July 24, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Dammit, 2 more weeks before I can get the album: https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/labrie_james/impermanent_resonance/  :-\
Yesterday it wasn't there, I checked :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: July 24, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
Yeah, it has just appeared there. Bummer that I'll have to wait for so long and I won't get the bonus tracks, but I bet the album won't disappoint :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1677 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
Going to order along with the new DT today!  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1678 on: July 24, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
Going to order along with the new DT today:metal :metal

That should be quite an impressive feat since the pre-order for the new DT is not available yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1679 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Going to order along with the new DT today:metal :metal

That should be quite an impressive feat since the pre-order for the new DT is not available yet.

Amazon said it was. Have they lied to me?

edit: just checked. it's definitely there. Is it an imposter?

edit 2 : link https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Theater-Deluxe-CD-DVD/dp/B00DJ80VLS/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374682144&sr=1-4&keywords=dream+theater