Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 409210 times)

Offline dodido253

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1610 on: July 20, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
Really liked BOTG  :metal :metal :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1611 on: July 20, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Back on The Ground is way better than Euphoric. I love Euphoric so it says a lot. Its the perfect catchiness to the lyrics and overall feel.

Great job Matt
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1612 on: July 21, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »
Back on The Ground is way better than Euphoric. I love Euphoric so it says a lot. Its the perfect catchiness to the lyrics and overall feel.

Great job Matt
To be honest, I think Euphoric is the weakest song on SI and I don't like the lyrics at all. I love BOTG though, and the lyrics are cool. As long as the lyrics are relevant for the writer, then it's ok; not all lyrics need to be cryptic and shit.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1613 on: July 21, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

Great job Matt
To be honest, I think Euphoric is the weakest song on SI and I don't like the lyrics at all. I love BOTG though, and the lyrics are cool. As long as the lyrics are relevant for the writer, then it's ok; not all lyrics need to be cryptic and shit.

Euphoric has the same non cryptic lyrics.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Onno

« Reply #1614 on: July 21, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »

Great job Matt

Euphoric has the same non cryptic lyrics.
Of course, that's obvious. But BOTG, IMO, delivers a message, while Euphoric is generally just a simple love song lyrically wise. And IMO, there are WAY too much songs with that kind of lyrics.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: July 21, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

Offline Onno

« Reply #1616 on: July 21, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
Epic review Nem! Now I'm looking forward to the album even more!

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #1617 on: July 21, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I agree with you on the screaming. I never listened to any of his solo stuff until just now, and I think it completely ruins the great moments that he's created in the rest of the material.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1618 on: July 21, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Nice! Now I am officially getting antsy again about this album :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: July 21, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
 :laugh:

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #1620 on: July 21, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
I am a huge JLB fan, but I have to agree with whoever once said that his anunciation is really bad sometimes. I'm listening to Mullmuzzler 2 right now...Venis Burning. I thought he was saying 'watching Candace Bergen'.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1621 on: July 21, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
Awesome review boss  ;)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1622 on: July 21, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
Hopefully this doesn't take too long to be shipped because I might go slightly insane if it does. But in a little more than a week it should be in hand. :omg:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: July 22, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1624 on: July 22, 2013, 03:16:05 AM »
I hope Amazon won't be lazy asses and I'll get it on Friday! :caffeine:

Offline Shadow2222

"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1627 on: July 22, 2013, 07:42:41 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1628 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:35 AM »
Nice review, Nem! :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
Thank you sir! :)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1630 on: July 22, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
That was a great read. Now I'm getting excited even more.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Shadow2222

"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1632 on: July 22, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Just wanted to be sure, is this ( https://www.cmdistro.com/Item/James_LaBrie_-_Impermanent_Resonance_-Digi-_-PRE-ORDER-/46064 ) the digipak with all the bonus tracks? don't really have the dough for an import version, so i wanted to make sure theres a US version with as much LaBrie as possible  :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1633 on: July 22, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
I don't know if we have a general  (Solo + Side Project) Labrie discussion and I'm too lazy and durnk to search to I'm just gonna post this here:

Over The Edge has one of the best choruses I've ever heard. It's fucking orgasmic. It's weird, (or actually not that weird at all..?) as I hear more of IR, I open up more to SI...or at least the tracks that I wasn't too keen on to begin with. I've been playing OTE and This Is War like no other for the past few days. I'm still really itching for this album but damn does Labrie have a great solo career so far...and it looks to only get better as SI made quite an impact and IR looks to expand upon the mindset that this is really a side project with a fully committed team of badasses (shut up my nose isn't brown I don't give a fuck) rather than 'just a solo project' as I (sadly) initially thought of it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1634 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
I never cared what it is. The music is all that matters and its great.

Listening to Believe,  what a great calm song.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1635 on: July 22, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but thanks again everybody for all the nice words about the work we've done! James and I have been busy doing press interviews each morning, and the response we've been getting so far on Impermanent Resonance is absolutely amazing. The response to Static Impulse was great, but it feels like even moreso with this new album. To those of you who have not heard it yet; hang in there. We can't wait for you to hear it!  :)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1636 on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Way too excited, and it is indeed great to have the band participate in the only forum I've ever frequented; thanks Mr. Guillory! I'm having a hard time waiting but know it will be worth the wait! I am quite literally having to restrain myself from listening to the minute-thirty samples so I can maximize my orgasm whence I hear this masterful masterpiece.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :yarr :yarr :azn:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1637 on: July 22, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
No disrespect to whoever the lyricist was for BOTG, but I really disliked the lyrics. They're probably my least favorite lyrics I've ever heard James sing. That being said, the music and melody of the song were superb!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1638 on: July 23, 2013, 02:38:06 AM »
I don't know if we have a general  (Solo + Side Project) Labrie discussion
This is it, this is the one, we also talked Mullmuzzler stuff in here :laugh:

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record...
*finds something new for Matt to talk about* :angel:

One thing that always interested me in the whole story - well, two things:
1) the huge gap between the second Mullmuzzler record and EoP makes me wonder which was the first song written for Elements, and how did you guys "find" each other again - was it a matter of not losing contact and occasionally talking about doing another record, or was it a "omg let's do another record" somewhere a year or so before it came out.

2) During the writing for Static Impulse, how did it exactly go from "let's make it heavier with some harsher vocals in there" to "let's find someone who can do screams and growls, make it REALLY METAL"?

Bonus question: on the DT side of the forum some people were reminiscing about how Elements was was labelled as Octavarium on some illegal sharing sites to mess with people, and how people totally believed that, so I guess the question is - how does it feel like to be mistaken for Jordan Rudess :laugh:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:54 AM »
I think I remember James saying that the growls were something he wanted to do.  I think he said he was doing Peter's lines in a more harsher way, but eventually made the decision that if they were going to do it, they might as well do it right.

I always thought this was such a cool thing and shows how much of a team player, non-egotistical and all round nice guy James is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1640 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:59 AM »
I think I remember James saying that the growls were something he wanted to do.  I think he said he was doing Peter's lines in a more harsher way, but eventually made the decision that if they were going to do it, they might as well do it right.
Yeah, I know that, I just meant that it's a pretty big leap between rougher vocals and full blown death metal vocals, so I was just wandering how'd it come to that. I'm a big fan of harsher vocs on JLB records :tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: July 23, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »
Just wanted to be sure, is this ( https://www.cmdistro.com/Item/James_LaBrie_-_Impermanent_Resonance_-Digi-_-PRE-ORDER-/46064 ) the digipak with all the bonus tracks? don't really have the dough for an import version, so i wanted to make sure theres a US version with as much LaBrie as possible  :metal

I'm pretty sure all digi copies would have the bonus tracks.  And Matt confirmed something about this a page or so back.

Where I ordered mine from just said digipak but has the bonus tracks listed; https://www.wowhd.com.au/CD/james-labrie-impermanent-resonance-digipack/dp/33250441#bc=8988
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1642 on: July 23, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
my review

Very nice.  Clearly, tons of passion there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1643 on: July 23, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »
I don't know if we have a general  (Solo + Side Project) Labrie discussion
This is it, this is the one, we also talked Mullmuzzler stuff in here :laugh:

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record...
*finds something new for Matt to talk about* :angel:

One thing that always interested me in the whole story - well, two things:
1) the huge gap between the second Mullmuzzler record and EoP makes me wonder which was the first song written for Elements, and how did you guys "find" each other again - was it a matter of not losing contact and occasionally talking about doing another record, or was it a "omg let's do another record" somewhere a year or so before it came out.

2) During the writing for Static Impulse, how did it exactly go from "let's make it heavier with some harsher vocals in there" to "let's find someone who can do screams and growls, make it REALLY METAL"?

Bonus question: on the DT side of the forum some people were reminiscing about how Elements was was labelled as Octavarium on some illegal sharing sites to mess with people, and how people totally believed that, so I guess the question is - how does it feel like to be mistaken for Jordan Rudess :laugh:

RE: Question 1 -  "Slightly Out Of Reach" was the first song written for EoP. Throughout our 15 year history of working together, James and I have always remained in contact. We knew would wanted to make another album after MM2. The big gap in between MM2 and EoP was only because we were both so busy with other commitments. If memory serves me correctly, we started working on EoP in 2003. Seems like it took *forever* to get that album done! Another thing worth mentioning is that we had another full album worth of material we were going to record as a follow-up to EoP, (in 2006) but those songs eventually were shelved.

RE: Question 2 - To be honest, I actually wanted to have screaming on EoP, but the material (imo) wasn't really calling for it. It didn't really make sense. The back story is this.... Mike (Mangini) was working on the drums for Static Impulse but because of the timing and logistics involved, we had to seek another drummer for Static Impulse. Fortunately, Peter Wildoer was recommended to me through a mutual friend of ours, Teddy Möller. By that time, I had already written a significant amount of material for Static Impulse, and I knew the songs really needed some screaming and after discussing the material with Peter, I asked him if he could recommend any screamers. He was like, "Well, Bjorn Strid is a very good friend of mine. I could ask him. Or, if you're interested, I could do it!" I had no idea that Peter could do screams, AND do them well! He sent me some songs with him screaming and I was floored. I passed it along to James and he was floored as well, so it was on! That's how the whole screaming thing came about.

RE: Bonus Q - LOL I have to say, being mistaken for Jordan is much more pleasant than having to play in front of him! Our very first show of the EoP tour, Jordan came out to see us and I have NEVER been *so* nervous in my life. Talk about pressure! I wanted to go to a dark corner of the venue and crawl into the fetal position. LOL Seriously though, aside from being a monster player, Jordan is such a sweetheart and he has always been so kind to me over the years. I don't think I sound like him at all, but I consider any comparison to him a HUGE compliment! :)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1644 on: July 23, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
Hey Matt, I'm going to warn you in advance that this is a weird question, but how do you pronounce your last name? For some reason it baffles me.