Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 57336 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2022, 03:44:13 PM »
I'm hitting Austin for a long weekend next weekend. Had to use a flight credit from March 2020 before the end of this month and Leprous and DT are both playing Austin within a 3 day span. I'll fly in Saturday afternoon, catch Leprous Saturday night, spend Sunday and Monday eating meat and drinking beer, Monday night is the DT show, and then fly home on Tuesday.
You should take the time to drive out to Taylor, Tx to hit up Louie Meuller's. I think it's about a half hour, and most of it is rural Texas which is an interesting thing. Quite different from the rural parts up in your neck of the woods. As far as Hill Country BBQ goes, it's been a top 3 place for over 50 years, and deservedly so.

And, if you happen to be a Friends fan, there's another reason to visit Taylor, TX:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yemen+Rd,+Taylor,+TX+76574/@30.5896906,-97.4401429,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644ddfe5076ef75:0x94d9ff7e03b58c85!8m2!3d30.5897009!4d-97.4418167?hl=en

Holy crap, look at the names of the surrounding streets.

Online pg1067

« Reply #386 on: March 10, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »
I'm hitting Austin for a long weekend next weekend. Had to use a flight credit from March 2020 before the end of this month and Leprous and DT are both playing Austin within a 3 day span. I'll fly in Saturday afternoon, catch Leprous Saturday night, spend Sunday and Monday eating meat and drinking beer, Monday night is the DT show, and then fly home on Tuesday.
You should take the time to drive out to Taylor, Tx to hit up Louie Meuller's. I think it's about a half hour, and most of it is rural Texas which is an interesting thing. Quite different from the rural parts up in your neck of the woods. As far as Hill Country BBQ goes, it's been a top 3 place for over 50 years, and deservedly so.

And, if you happen to be a Friends fan, there's another reason to visit Taylor, TX:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yemen+Rd,+Taylor,+TX+76574/@30.5896906,-97.4401429,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644ddfe5076ef75:0x94d9ff7e03b58c85!8m2!3d30.5897009!4d-97.4418167?hl=en

Holy crap, look at the names of the surrounding streets.

Exactly!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: March 11, 2022, 06:37:02 AM »
What are the forum travelers thoughts on dinner jackets and or tuxedos for modern cruises?

Mrs. P and I are going on 3 week Mediterranean cruise at the end of May through early June that has been postponed three times during the pandemic. Now, we've gone on several European river cruises and I've always gotten by with a comfy sport coat and slacks for dinner, but I understand ocean going vessels typically have more formal dinners. My original plan was to wear a grey summer suit and tie (or perhaps a black shirt with no tie). It's a nice tailored suit, with good fabric, but it's not what you'd call formal.

I have a tuxedo but unless I'm able to lose a couple of inches around my belly by then, I'll need to get a new jacket made. Still, if it's not something that folks do on modern cruises anymore, I'd prefer to save the money and/or room in my luggage by not bringing one.

Thoughts?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #388 on: April 23, 2022, 04:34:38 PM »
Is there anyone that travels internationally (such as from the US to Europe and back) and could possibly explain something to me?

On the return trip back to the US from London, all the flight sites have a travel time of like 8 hours, but they have have departing time of 9:15am and arrival of 12:05pm, which is not 8 hours??  :huh:

Is this a time zone thing, or am I missing something? This will be my first time going across the ocean, so this is all new to me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: April 23, 2022, 04:51:45 PM »
It's a time zone thing. You leave London at 9am, which is really 4am Philly time. So when you land in Philly at noon, yes, you've been flying for 8 hours.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #390 on: April 23, 2022, 07:10:52 PM »
Yeah flight times are always written at the local time of the location.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2022, 04:32:31 AM »
That makes more sense. Thanks guys.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2022, 11:00:17 AM »
What they didn't mention is that after 8 hours of E to W travel the jetlag will make you want to die.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2022, 12:41:09 PM »
Planning to go to Poland for the first time in Summer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2022, 01:22:01 PM »
What they didn't mention is that after 8 hours of E to W travel the jetlag will make you want to die.

It can be rough, but London to EST time zone isn't too terrible.  I've always had it rougher going to Europe from EST zone for some reason, but I think it's more to do with those flights often being over night but coming back to the US it's usually a morning/afternoon thing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #395 on: April 24, 2022, 01:24:26 PM »

It can be rough, but London to EST time zone isn't too terrible.  I've always had it rougher going to Europe from EST zone for some reason, but I think it's more to do with those flights often being over night but coming back to the US it's usually a morning/afternoon thing.

Oh yeah, the overnight is a killer, especially if you don't sleep, which is hard for me on a plane.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #396 on: April 24, 2022, 03:25:56 PM »
I once went on a 16-hour flight straight from Dubai to Orlando. I had just done a 4 hour plane ride as so my entire travel from airport to airport was something like 30 hours. I thought it would be better to fly without a break in my journey and get it over with. Worst fucking idea. Once I got home I think I slept for like 13 hours straight. Couldn't catch a wink in the plane, I can never sleep on planes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2022, 03:51:53 PM »
Yeah, I remember when I was flying to Italy for a trip one summer and I knew that a) I had an overnight flight and b) I usually had a hard time sleeping on planes. My plan was to basically stay up almost the whole night before my flight so I'd be good and tired for the plane. We boarded, we took off, and I was sitting there with my eyes closed and I could feel myself drifting off to sleep. The stewardess then roused me to take my dinner order and that was that, I was wide awake for the whole trip :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2022, 05:29:18 PM »
The overnight trips East to West are a piece of cake. If you can sleep on the plane that's great. If you can't it doesn't much matter. I managed about an hour for 0400-0500, but I'm fine on an hour of sleep. We've all pulled all-nighters before. You land in Europe, spend the day doing touristy stuff while being tired, and then crash in the evening like you normally would. So long as you don't sleep when you arrive, but wait until that night, it's pretty easy to reset the clock. It took days to get things squared away for me coming back, though. And that jetlag comes on top of the disappointment of being back after a great adventure. You just spent two weeks having a great time and now you've got a whole year back at the coalmine, and your brain's still screwed up because of the time travel thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
So I'm thinking about going to Chicago to watch a live show of a podcast I listen to weekly.  They announced it two months in advance this week.  Will be in August.  Man, flight and hotel is pretty steep in that period (and that if you fly in Spirit, and I'm not going to do that obviously).  Wouldn't mind going to Chicago and do some stuff there.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2022, 05:18:16 PM »
So I'm thinking about going to Chicago to watch a live show of a podcast I listen to weekly.  They announced it two months in advance this week.  Will be in August.  Man, flight and hotel is pretty steep in that period (and that if you fly in Spirit, and I'm not going to do that obviously).  Wouldn't mind going to Chicago and do some stuff there.
I've still got that trip in my plans somewhere. What I can tell you from my research is that if you're only looking to go for a weekend or something it's cost prohibitive. However, if you've got the time to spend a week exploring the whole area you can make it cost effective. My recollection is that car rentals at DET were pretty reasonable. Other airports in the area are also better priced. There are things to do in Cincinnati and Columbus, as well as Chicago. I was looking at it as a roller coaster trip, myself, but whatever your interests are, you'll probably be able to find some interesting options up there. Strange as it may seem, it's also possible that you can save money by renting a car in one city and returning it to a different one. That saved me a bundle a couple of weeks ago. If you don't have the time the it doesn't matter--just a thought.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2022, 01:10:22 PM »
Chicago is still a city I have not visited but would like to.  Just haven't found the right reason to go yet.  In Philadelphia today for the Stadium Tour.   :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #402 on: June 26, 2022, 06:19:54 AM »
My summer holidays will be spent in Santorini, Greece.

It's a itch I wanted to scratch and I will finally get it done! it will be both the easternmost and southernmost place I will ever have been to...... so far  ;)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online pg1067

« Reply #403 on: June 26, 2022, 06:33:39 PM »
Speaking of Chicago...

I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks for a work conference.  I've flown through Chicago previously but have never been in the city.

I just got tickets to the Cubs game on July 14, so that night is spoken for, but I'll have the evening of July 13 (after arriving at O'Hare and making my way to the hotel) and most of the afternoon and evening on July 15.  The conference and my hotel are near the intersection of Wabash Av. and Monroe St.  I'm basically planning on going straight from the conference to Wrigley Field and partaking of some Chicago dogs.  So...here are my questions:

- Anywhere in particular I should go for a dog at or near Wrigley?  Or is it a "you can't go wrong wherever you go" kind of thing?

- Anything I should know about Wrigley Field itself?

- It looks like I can take the L (El?) from the Monroe station to Wrigley Field and back.  I'm pretty comfortable with trains/subways and generally prefer those when traveling to places like NY, Boston and DC.  Any reason I shouldn't take the L?

- Places to eat near my hotel?  I'm mostly looking for burgers, steak and/or BBQ, and it needs to be a place I can go solo since I almost certainly will be.  A place called Smoque was recommended for BBQ, and it looks like that's pretty near the hotel.

- Any must see places nearby?  Looks like the Sears Tower is really close.  I won't have a car and don't want to stray too far since I'll only have one afternoon/evening for this sort of thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #404 on: June 26, 2022, 06:43:40 PM »
The TACs spent a great afternoon in Chicago back in 2010. We spent the day down at Navy Pier. There's a great atmosphere there and we had a nice lunch. Took a boat ride too.
The Bean is within walking distance.

Online pg1067

« Reply #405 on: June 27, 2022, 10:13:46 AM »
The TACs spent a great afternoon in Chicago back in 2010. We spent the day down at Navy Pier. There's a great atmosphere there and we had a nice lunch. Took a boat ride too.

The Bean?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #406 on: June 27, 2022, 12:06:30 PM »
Well, it turns out that I got two weekend trips to potentially organize this summer.  Going to go to Orlando in late September/early October.  Didn't actually get a chance to do things in Orlando the last time I went in 2019.  Maybe it will be different this time around.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #407 on: June 27, 2022, 12:24:08 PM »
Well, it turns out that I got two weekend trips to potentially organize this summer.  Going to go to Orlando in late September/early October.  Didn't actually get a chance to do things in Orlando the last time I went in 2019.  Maybe it will be different this time around.
You'll be missing out on a few good shows in So-Cal, including Porcupine Tree.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: June 27, 2022, 12:25:26 PM »

The Bean?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #409 on: June 27, 2022, 12:51:12 PM »

Oh snaps.  That's true.  I mean I'm going to Orlando for Alter Bridge's new album listening party and they are doing a small set as well.  As a long-time fan, I can't miss that.  Probably would be the only show in the states that they will do in 2022 before headlining to Europe. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #410 on: June 27, 2022, 01:17:55 PM »

Oh snaps.  That's true.  I mean I'm going to Orlando for Alter Bridge's new album listening party and they are doing a small set as well.  As a long-time fan, I can't miss that.  Probably would be the only show in the states that they will do in 2022 before headlining to Europe.
Well, if you hadn't already bought a ticket you were going to be SOL anyway. It sold out quickly and those things are going for big money right now.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: June 27, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »
My summer holidays will be spent in Santorini, Greece.

It's a itch I wanted to scratch and I will finally get it done! it will be both the easternmost and southernmost place I will ever have been to...... so far  ;)
I want to go back there so badly! Of all the trips I've done, Greece is my favorite one and Santorini was the best part of it.

Enjoy it, If you do the volcano hike make sure to bring plenty of water and breathable clothes because it gets really hot :) Also, if you like wine, do one of their wine tours, its an interesting way of exploring the non-touristic parts of the island.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline frogprog

« Reply #412 on: June 27, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
Me and the missus are hitting NY finger lake country, Niagara Falls and Toronto this week. We have never been to any of these so it should be fun. We have a cool segway ride planned in St. Catherines  which goes through Lakeside Park which will be really cool! Any dining recommendations in Toronto??

Online pg1067

« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »

The Bean?

Well...that's not something I'd go out of my way to see, but it does appear to be fairly close to where I'm staying.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #414 on: June 27, 2022, 02:31:31 PM »
Me and the missus are hitting NY finger lake country, Niagara Falls and Toronto this week. We have never been to any of these so it should be fun. We have a cool segway ride planned in St. Catherines  which goes through Lakeside Park which will be really cool! Any dining recommendations in Toronto??
Little I can recommend about Toronto. Didn't much care for it. You'll find plenty of shwarma, if that's your thing. Ate a fine meal at such a place. And I do miss Tim Horton's coffee. That's about it. 

The Finger Lakes region is awesome. Look out for a state park called Fillmore Glenn (birthplace of Millard). Lovely hike to see some nice waterfalls, and the swimming hole is probably opened by now. Watkins Glen is pleasant enough, but I was a little underwhelmed given the crowd. Letchworth is absolutely worth hitting. That's one where you should take some food and hang out for a while. Not certain, but I believe I posted some pictures of my Finger Lakes trip back in this thread somewhere.

edit: Looks like I didn't post pictures here. I'll try and find some time to up them later.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2022, 10:14:49 AM »

Assuming you're going to be in downtown Toronto?  Head up the CN Tower for sure.  Ripley's Aquarium is kinda fun, and right at the base of the Tower.  The waterfront is fun, but really nothin terribly spectacular tourist wise.  The Rec Room (again, same general area, right across the street) has some great pub food (get the fried chicken sammich), and is like a higher-end Dave&Busters.  The Distillery district is just a few blocks east of that.  St. Lawrence market might be something to take in as well if you're there for a few days.  You'll have to venture a little further than walking distance to hit the cultural centres - Chinatown, Little Italy/Portugal, Greek town.  Though, if the latter is your kinda thing, head out there and definitely get yourself a picture at the corner of Danforth and Pape (considering you're also doing Lakeside Park).

Also, Tim Horton's coffee sucks nowadays.  Many better options.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2022, 10:55:39 AM »

Assuming you're going to be in downtown Toronto?  Head up the CN Tower for sure.  Ripley's Aquarium is kinda fun, and right at the base of the Tower.  The waterfront is fun, but really nothin terribly spectacular tourist wise.  The Rec Room (again, same general area, right across the street) has some great pub food (get the fried chicken sammich), and is like a higher-end Dave&Busters.  The Distillery district is just a few blocks east of that.  St. Lawrence market might be something to take in as well if you're there for a few days.  You'll have to venture a little further than walking distance to hit the cultural centres - Chinatown, Little Italy/Portugal, Greek town.  Though, if the latter is your kinda thing, head out there and definitely get yourself a picture at the corner of Danforth and Pape (considering you're also doing Lakeside Park).

Also, Tim Horton's coffee sucks nowadays.  Many better options.

Our chain coffee places are Starbucks and Dunkin. TH blows them both away.

I'm kind of an aquarium aficionado, and from a gee-wiz standpoint Ripley's is alright. The gee-wiz factor is really all it has going for it, though. It struck me as more of a funhouse kind of thing, where sharks swim around you and over your head. More importantly, a place that'll distract your kids for $40 a head.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2022, 12:02:09 PM »
Little I can recommend about Toronto. Didn't much care for it. You'll find plenty of shwarma, if that's your thing. Ate a fine meal at such a place. And I do miss Tim Horton's coffee. That's about it. 

The Finger Lakes region is awesome. Look out for a state park called Fillmore Glenn (birthplace of Millard). Lovely hike to see some nice waterfalls, and the swimming hole is probably opened by now. Watkins Glen is pleasant enough, but I was a little underwhelmed given the crowd. Letchworth is absolutely worth hitting. That's one where you should take some food and hang out for a while. Not certain, but I believe I posted some pictures of my Finger Lakes trip back in this thread somewhere.

edit: Looks like I didn't post pictures here. I'll try and find some time to up them later.

I remember thinking how dirty the finger lakes were when we went to Watkins Glen for our conference a few years back.  Those driving on the raceway was so much fun. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline frogprog

« Reply #418 on: June 28, 2022, 09:42:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #419 on: June 28, 2022, 10:06:25 PM »
Two from Fillmore Glen State Park and Two from Letchworth.

E.F. Benson