Author Topic: Top 10 Albums of 2023  (Read 20505 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Top 10 Albums of 2023
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2023, 02:01:05 PM »
A lot of good albums this year but personally as the year went on I can only say a handful of albums really stuck with me or hit hard. The market is so saturated and watered down that its just too much. I usually struggle to narrow it down to 10, not this year.

1) Compass- A Silent Symphony.
2) Tanith- Voyage.
3) Lalu- The Fish Who Wanted To Be King.
4) Sky Empire - The Shifting Tectonic Plates Of Power - Part One.
5) Tomb Mold- The Enduring Spirit.
6) Temic- Terror Management Theory.
7) Nospūn- Opus.
8) Metallica- 72 Seasons.
9) A7X- Life Is But A Dream...
10) Earthside- Let The Truth Speak.

Great list dude, especially Tomb Mold, Lalu, Nospūn, A7X and Earthside (which is still growing on me).

Thanks Luke! Earthside is definitely a grower, so many layers involved. But when it clicks its hard to stop listening.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2023, 02:12:44 PM »
A lot of good albums this year but personally as the year went on I can only say a handful of albums really stuck with me or hit hard. The market is so saturated and watered down that its just too much. I usually struggle to narrow it down to 10, not this year.

2) Tanith- Voyage.
7) Nospūn- Opus.

Great list dude, especially Tomb Mold, Lalu, Nospūn, A7X and Earthside (which is still growing on me).

Thanks Luke! Earthside is definitely a grower, so many layers involved. But when it clicks its hard to stop listening.

I loved their debut, so even though nothing is sticking yet I'm going to.keep.going as I've no doubt it'll grab me soon.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2023, 03:51:19 PM »

As for so much new music.  I saw Unleash the Archers make a post yesterday about their new album and they said that the label is still determining a release date because there's an expected 250 metal albums to be released next year.  So you are right, the market is saturated.

It's way worse than that.  That must be just major label releases.  Metal-Archives typically catalogs about 10,000 new metal albums released each year.  They do a yearly best of year poll, and last year they had 244 participants submitting 811 unique albums on their top 10 ballots.  And that doesn't count the truckloads of "metal" that doesn't meet their standards for inclusion on the site (but tons of people would count as such). 

For me it's just an issue of not having enough time to get to everything.  Between picking stuff for roulettes, running my own for a good chunk of the year, my own personal projects, nostalgia listening, spending time with under-listened to artists, and checking out various older music as I come across it, there's only so much left for new albums and revisiting those, even with as much music as I listen to a day. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2023, 04:28:48 PM »

As for so much new music.  I saw Unleash the Archers make a post yesterday about their new album and they said that the label is still determining a release date because there's an expected 250 metal albums to be released next year.  So you are right, the market is saturated.

It's way worse than that.  That must be just major label releases.  Metal-Archives typically catalogs about 10,000 new metal albums released each year.  They do a yearly best of year poll, and last year they had 244 participants submitting 811 unique albums on their top 10 ballots.  And that doesn't count the truckloads of "metal" that doesn't meet their standards for inclusion on the site (but tons of people would count as such). 

For me it's just an issue of not having enough time to get to everything.  Between picking stuff for roulettes, running my own for a good chunk of the year, my own personal projects, nostalgia listening, spending time with under-listened to artists, and checking out various older music as I come across it, there's only so much left for new albums and revisiting those, even with as much music as I listen to a day.

Yeah, I assumed it was major label releases.  There's almost an infinite amount of actual releases.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2023, 07:39:22 PM »

2) Tanith- Voyage.
7) Nospūn- Opus.

Tanith's Voyage will be very high on my list too. A fantastic record, and one the biggest surprises of the year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2023, 07:40:22 PM »
Yup, another excellent album by them!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2023, 07:43:32 PM »
I'm not even sure I could come up with 10 albums for this year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2023, 07:46:45 PM »
I actually have a ton this year...There are a few sure standouts, then many albums that might not be "for the ages", but that I really enjoyed.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2023, 07:59:36 PM »
I love checking out new bands and new releases from bands I already listen to as well as the classics but I've said this before, hypothetically if nothing new was ever released again I would be fine. I'm still enjoying the music I have plus I'm still discovering older releases that are new to me. The issue is with so much music coming out I find it tough not be picky and I'm quicker to move on from an album that may click with me if I give it more time because there's A shit ton to get to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2023, 08:03:31 PM »
I love checking out new bands and new releases from bands I already listen to as well as the classics but I've said this before, hypothetically if nothing new was ever released again I would be fine. I'm still enjoying the music I have plus I'm still discovering older releases that are new to me. The issue is with so much music coming out I find it tough not be picky and I'm quicker to move on from an album that may click with me if I give it more time because there's A shit ton to get to.

I can totally relate to this and agree 100%.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2023, 08:17:40 PM »

Same... but I'm fucking addicted to exploring for new music.  I think it's a disease :lol.  Every year, I add 25 or so new releases to my iTunes library, and at least that many saved in Spotify.  Then I'll invariably have another 5-10 older releases that I 'discover' as well.

I need help.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2023, 08:19:40 PM »

Same... but I'm fucking addicted to exploring for new music.  I think it's a disease :lol.  Every year, I add 25 or so new releases to my iTunes library, and at least that many saved in Spotify.  Then I'll invariably have another 5-10 older releases that I 'discover' as well.

I need help.

Somehow I don't think so.  ;D

50 across the year though seems pretty light though?  I mean, I'd have at least checked out 20-30 myself.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2023, 08:21:02 PM »

I need help.

50 across the year though seems pretty light though?  I mean, I'd have at least checked out 20-30 myself.

Oh... I've sampled about 170 - and that's JUST 2023 releases.  Probably 250 in total.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2023, 08:24:47 PM »

I need help.

Oh... I've sampled about 170 - and that's JUST 2023 releases.  Probably 250 in total.

Holy shit!  Ah yeah, okay, I missed that saving them in your library would be different to sampling them.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2023, 08:50:15 PM »
Some of them even have growls!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2023, 11:53:58 PM »

I need help.

I can relate to both of these comments so much! It's good we have somewhere to talk about our addictions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2023, 03:58:17 AM »

Sampled by accident doesn't count mate.  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2023, 04:53:16 AM »

I meant the ones I purchased/saved!  Key word was "some". 

Actually, "a few" would've been more accurate.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2023, 05:05:16 AM »

Oh wow, do share them please!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2023, 05:38:43 AM »

Oh wow, do share them please!

WhatsApp'd them to you.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2023, 05:45:16 PM »
i think the only outstanding release for me that might make a year end list is Moon Safari, but that is out in a week and I'm sure i'll have my list ready shortly after. I've basically got it done already but just holding it back to let Peter Gabriel - i/o soak a little more and let some last minute releases trickle in
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2023, 06:15:01 AM »
I just need a few more spins from the new Peter Gabriel album, then I should be all set to start making a list of 2023.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2023, 11:26:03 AM »
i think the only outstanding release for me that might make a year end list is Moon Safari, but that is out in a week and I'm sure i'll have my list ready shortly after. I've basically got it done already but just holding it back to let Peter Gabriel - i/o soak a little more and let some last minute releases trickle in

Tried liking Moon Safari but the members previous band Kharma Cosmic is much better but only have a few demos to show for. I'll give them another spin.

« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2023, 11:31:44 AM »
of course since i made that post i learned Elephant Gym was dropping a new album the week after, so might have to really hold my list back until near christmas at this rate :lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2023, 02:00:04 PM »

This is where I am. I have purchased a ton of music this year, but as for stuff released this year, I am struggling with a top 5. This year was clearly more about discovering stuff. I have a lot of stuff I have discovered and have listened to all of that way more than anything released this year. I have a top 2 for the year, but need to see if I can at least round out a top 5 like I usually do.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2023, 02:06:57 PM »
I have a clear #1, enough for a good though not mindblowing next dozen or so with not a lot of differentiation, and then a morass of quality but not necessarily initially stellar albums that I'm unlikely to have the time or motivation to properly rank. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2023, 03:07:10 PM »
This turned out to be a really active year for new music both from older artists and new artists that I’ve discovered. Had a top album in mind but the new Peter Gabriel could shake that up. Also waiting for Moon Safari, and there are a couple others I’m meaning to check out still.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2023, 04:59:10 PM »
I will confess that I’ve heard very few new albums this last year, but I can say without hesitation that The Fox and the Bird by OK Goodnight is easily the best progressive metal album I’ve heard in a decade, so that’s a no brainer for me.

I’m pretty lukewarm on Riverside ID.Entity, but it has good moments.
Fauna by Haken is excellent and probably takes my #2 spot. But that OK Goodnight album beats it hands down. It’s been months and I’m still constantly spinning that album and getting goosebumps.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »
my spreadsheet is nearing 300 2023 releases that i've heard, lots to choose from :D
Welcome to the Forums!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 03, 2023, 07:01:52 PM »
my spreadsheet is nearing 300 2023 releases that i've heard, lots to choose from :D

Man, and I thought *I* had a problem!   :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #275 on: December 03, 2023, 07:12:46 PM »
I had over 300 heard in full in '21 (with probably another hundred+ I'd heard at least a song from), a bit more than half that last year, and maybe half that this year at this point.  So even in '21 that's less than an album a day, which is quite doable, it just means you're neglecting older music. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2023, 07:26:43 PM »
The weird thing is after this past week which saw 4 new albums on my radar and likely the final new albums to come out in 2023 that I know about, I actually have just been able to hear another new album thanks to being contacted by the band that I might enjoy more than any of those 4 albums.

However, I just found out that it's not expected to drop until January or February of 2024.

So, at least I already have a leader in my 2024 Clubhouse  ;D

« Reply #277 on: December 04, 2023, 07:41:57 AM »

Man, and I thought *I* had a problem!   :lol

it's a really bad problem lol.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2023, 11:27:48 AM »
I will confess that I’ve heard very few new albums this last year, but I can say without hesitation that The Fox and the Bird by OK Goodnight is easily the best progressive metal album I’ve heard in a decade, so that’s a no brainer for me.

I’m pretty lukewarm on Riverside ID.Entity, but it has good moments.
Fauna by Haken is excellent and probably takes my #2 spot. But that OK Goodnight album beats it hands down. It’s been months and I’m still constantly spinning that album and getting goosebumps.

This being your favorite this year made me just check it out. Just wow man, loving this. Thank you!

"The Falcon" is incredible!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2023, 05:05:27 PM »

Been thinking about this and I probably could easily do it.  Just a lot of releases haven't really had the time or plays but strong enough to be included in a top 10.  I'll have a crack soon.