Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 116229 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Tim Lincecum Lays the Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #420 on: January 01, 2014, 02:28:00 AM »
Gotta love NBA officiating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdgssaOlfA

The problem is that NBA officials aren't referees, they're politicians.

If you called the rules literally, there would be multiple fouls every play.  The game would be nothing but free throws.  The NBA's rules aren't literally enforceable, but you can't not have them or else games would become unwatchably physical.

So there are certain rules you let go by and certain rules you enforce, based on a complex calculus of looking out for what the league wants (which is why meaningless rules like delay of game are strictly enforced), making sure the game's entertaining (which is why three second rules are sporadically enforced), and making sure you as an official feel relevant (which is why refs call BS technicals).

In the case of the Wolves game, the unspoken rule doing end-of-game situations is to swallow your whistles.  NBA refs are deathly afraid of being blamed for causing the game to end a certain way.  For instance, Ray Allen may or may not have traveled when he made his big three against the Spurs (I don't think he did, just trying to illustrate a point).  Let's say he did and the refs called it.  In the minds of fans, the Spurs' title would have an asterisk on it because of the refs, something they will not allow to happen.

In this case, the political calculus backfired.  The foul was so blatant that it had to be called.  NFL fans complain about NFL officiating, but compared to the NBA they're virtually perfect.  On one hand, I feel bad for NBA refs.  On the other, I think the NBA should work on hiring better people.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #421 on: January 01, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »
In this case, the political calculus backfired.  The foul was so blatant that it had to be called.  NFL fans complain about NFL officiating, but compared to the NBA they're virtually perfect.  On one hand, I feel bad for NBA refs.  On the other, I think the NBA should work on hiring better people.

Agreed with your post on all points but this one. While you could make a case that the NBA should higher younger people, the people they do hire are very qualified, having refereed at many levels throughout their lives. Then, once they're hired, if they're not officiating games, they're plopped in front of a television meticulously evaluating what they did right or wrong the previous night. The NBA hires good refs; it's just that basketball on that level might simply be impossible to officiate well.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2014, 07:15:05 AM »
They might be elite in terms of their technical abilities, but the mindset of NBA officials seems off.  I remember one time a guy was driving to the basket on a fast break, and the ref called a shooting foul on the guy guarding the rim.  It was semi-obvious in real time that nothing happened, and the replay confirmed it.  The guy called for the foul asked the ref what gives, and the ref said that he thought a foul was going to happen so he just automatically blew his whistle.  What?

Also, check out the NBA officials wired videos on Youtube.  If I was a player or coach and I had to deal with them acting like that, I'd get at least a technical every game.
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
They might be elite in terms of their technical abilities, but the mindset of NBA officials seems off.  I remember one time a guy was driving to the basket on a fast break, and the ref called a shooting foul on the guy guarding the rim.  It was semi-obvious in real time that nothing happened, and the replay confirmed it.  The guy called for the foul asked the ref what gives, and the ref said that he thought a foul was going to happen so he just automatically blew his whistle.  What?

Also, check out the NBA officials wired videos on Youtube.  If I was a player or coach and I had to deal with them acting like that, I'd get at least a technical every game.

Yup. I know what you're talking about. Officials definitely have a frustrating mindset. I'm not sure how Joey Crawford hasn't been murdered by a coach yet.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #424 on: January 01, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
I don't know how anyone could call Joey Crawford a "professional referee".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #425 on: January 02, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
Watch out Ray Allen J-Smoove is coming for your GOAT Shooter title.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #426 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »
Josh Smith has never gotten an open 3 he couldn't miss!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #427 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »
:lol

Offline gm5k

« Reply #428 on: January 03, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
Is Chris Paul the first player to ever injure himself while flopping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzK1IUmNtgU

Seems like something that could have happened to Ginobili at some point...

Hope he gets better as soon as possible.  The league is definitely worse off without him.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:53:02 PM by gm5k »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #429 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
At this point, LeBron is pretty much the unanimous pick for MVP (at least in the articles I've seen). Anyone else think Durant's actually been the MVP this year?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #430 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
James is in similar territory as Jordan was for much of the 90s: he is so obviously the best player by a large margin that he is pretty much the MVP every year, but like Jordan, there will likely be years where votes get bored with voting James again and will give it to a star having a career year (like when Barkley won it in '93, Rose in '11).

And that is hilarious that Chris Paul hurt himself flopping. :lol :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #431 on: January 04, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
The problem with the MVP is that no one knows what it is.

LeBron's obviously the best player, but is he the MVP?  The Heat would still be an excellent team without him.  If you take the term MVP literally, Trey Burke has a better case than LeBron.  The Jazz started out 1-11 without him and are 10-10 with him.  A LeBron injury would never affect the Heat that drastically.

If it's the best player award then can we just call it the best player award?
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #432 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
Except it's League MVP, and not Jazz MVP or Heat MVP. So even if you take the term literally LeBron is still the MVP.

They probably should just change the name of the award though because people try and make this argument every year.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #433 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
Pau Gasol might have played his last game for the Lakers last night vs. the Jazz, as the Cavs are leaning toward finalizing a Gasol-for-Bynum trade by Sunday. Regardless of what will happen, thanks Pau for the past 4 plus years in LA!  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
At this point, LeBron is pretty much the unanimous pick for MVP (at least in the articles I've seen). Anyone else think Durant's actually been the MVP this year?

I would put Paul George up there, he's having a phenomenal season and is why Indiana is doing so well. I think Indiana is a solid team regardless of him but he provides that extra that has them leading the East.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #435 on: January 05, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
To me, the MVP award should go to the player who had the best year, and Durant's having the best year. A couple of things are working against LeBron:

1. Injuries. First his back was bad, then he rolled his ankle, then he injured his groin, and now he's icing his knees. He can't seem to shake the bug, and it's impacting him in very real ways, especially on the defensive end.

2. Boredom. The regular season is irrelevant to him at this point, and every game he shows it in tiny ways, either by not getting back on defense or throwing awful passes (resulting in his highest TOPG since his rookie year).

LeBron's still the best player as he's pretty much hacked the game. Shooting 59% is ridiculous. Durant's had the more impressive year though. 29/8/5 on almost 50/40/90 and he's been way less prone to injuries and boredom to boot.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #436 on: January 06, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
Rudy Gay per game this year in Toronto (18 games):
19-7-2   39%FG

Rudy Gay per game this year in Sacramento (12 games):
20-5-3   50%FG

This is mind boggling.

My conspiracy theory - Rudy Gay was trying to get traded out of Toronto.  He knew that if he played well, he would be untradable because no team would be willing to trade assets for his contract.  The only way to get traded was to play bad enough to hurt his trade value but good enough for a desperate team to move some rotation players for him.

Remember when he banned stat sheets in the locker room?  It felt like an onion story come to life.  Maybe it was an intentional bit of antics on his part.
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #437 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:48 AM »
Well he's taking almost 4 less shots per game so either the coach or Cousins went to him, and told him he's not chucking here like he did in Memphis and Toronto.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #438 on: January 07, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
Bulls trade Luol Deng for Andrew Bynum and picks they also plan to amnesty Boozer. I guess they can say goodbye to Thibs and Rose too no way both of them stick around to rebuild for a couple years.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: January 07, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
I don't get the bulls. Deng fit perfectly in their team and they had no need for another big man, specially one that plays the same position as Noah.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Well it's a good thing Bynum won't be playing for them then isn't it? They're going to waive him as soon as they can.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
Okay trade for the Bulls.  The 1sts are an underrated risk.  The Sac pick might not come for a couple years if at all.  The pick swap could be mostly worthless.  But they did get to clear some cap space, which is always a good thing.

I guess the Cavs had to do this because they're built to win now, but it's a huge risk for them too.  What if Deng leaves?

It's a trade both teams had to do and it worked out as well as possible for them.  But it's hard to like.
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #442 on: January 08, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEOWuoPe6wQ

Bill and Jalen are awesome together.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: January 09, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
I tried, but I can't be a Wizards fan. Well.... I can, just not to that die-hard level like the Orioles and Ravens. I'll still wear the Wall jersey, and I guess I'll start wearing that Durant jersey again. Fan of the league, just not a diehard for any team, unless Baltimore ever gets a team I guess.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #444 on: January 09, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
The Bullets, cuz.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: January 09, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:35 PM »
Yes.... I'm aware that Baltimore used to have an NBA team. But it would take a lot of doing to get another team, starting with a new arena. The Baltimore Arena is so old that the Bullets did play there before leaving for Landover in the 70's.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »
Rondo to play his first game this season on Friday. It seems like everyone forgot he even existed until just a week ago.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
GREG ODEN LIVES

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfYh9iW4ZN4

Literally starting a fight over a good foul :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: January 16, 2014, 05:55:56 AM »
I don't want to defend him because he's a real asshole but he did get hit hard in the head and I understand him being angry at the guy who fouled him but why did he punch Dragic?

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2014, 06:23:04 AM »
Apparently he was mad that none of his teammates came over to defend him. That doesn't really explain why he punched Dragic maybe he wants to be the next Ron Artest or Stephen Jackson :lol

Something else that's funny is the Lakers might not have enough players to play Boston on Friday since Young and Jordan Hill will most likely be suspended.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: January 16, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
They can always  bring someone from the D-League. It's not like they can do much worse  :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
Someone from the D-League would probably be a nice addition! :lol :(