Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 319289 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #630 on: November 09, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »
I've never had an issue with a metal band selling out on me so far, but Washington is a different state than New York, so I have no clue. Seriously, Get This Godless Endeavor and Politics of Ecstasy. Nao.
And as far as Symphony X goes, get The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, and The Odyssey.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #631 on: November 09, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
Nevermore and Soilwork alone is enough to warrant a ticket. Countdown to May 20th!

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #632 on: November 09, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »
I've never had an issue with a metal band selling out on me so far, but Washington is a different state than New York, so I have no clue. Seriously, Get This Godless Endeavor and Politics of Ecstasy. Nao.
And as far as Symphony X goes, get The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, and The Odyssey.
OOONNN THHHEEE EDDDGGGEE OOFFFF PAARRAAADDDIIIIIIIIISEEEEE
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: November 09, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »
I've heard of Nevermore on DTF but based on a one minute sampling from Youtube I'm not too impressed. Haven't heard of two of the bands. I'll go for SX and I woudn't mind seeing Powerglove.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #634 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:03 PM »
Implying you've never seen Iron Maiden?

I have The Odyssey, good album. It grew on me over time.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: November 09, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
I've heard of Nevermore on DTF but based on a one minute sampling from Youtube I'm not too impressed.
*sigh* Look up the song This Godless Endeavor and tell me it isn't a fucking badass song.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: November 09, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
I'm not referring to big shows at bigger venues. I'm talking about the three main smaller venues I see a lot of shows at.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #637 on: November 09, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
I'm not referring to big shows at bigger venues. I'm talking about the three main smaller venues I see a lot of shows at.
Ah, well in that case, the only qualifying shows for me would be Iced Earth and the three times I've seen Sacred Oath. They probably sold 1,500 tickets at most (Iced Earth), and SO gets like a hundred people when I see them, because they're more of a local band even though they have major record deals and albums.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: November 09, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »
I think you should be fine, personally. If Iced Earth isn't selling out, I'm sure Symphony X and Nevermore won't.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #639 on: November 09, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
Then I'll probably wait until I have more SX and Nevermore material, however long that takes.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #640 on: November 09, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
I can't wait to see Powerglove again :caffeine:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #641 on: November 10, 2010, 01:02:12 AM »
I know Powerglove. They're from the same area as I am. My band opened for'em earlier this year. Great guys.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #642 on: November 10, 2010, 04:17:08 AM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD YES!!!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #643 on: November 10, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
Crappy tour schedule.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: November 10, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
How so?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #645 on: November 10, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
Only two CA dates, and neither or north-CA friendly.

At least, that's why I (probably) won't be able to make these shows.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #646 on: November 10, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
I really love the beginning of Paradise Lost.  :metal

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #647 on: November 10, 2010, 06:39:24 PM »

Tell me about it. Every single time they tour NA it's always finals week when they're coming through the midwest. Looks like it'll be the same for 2011  :'(

Offline Ħ

« Reply #648 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:38 PM »
I really love the beginning of Paradise Lost.  :metal

PL is my favorite song and album.  Although it bleeds cheese, I always love the "so I've cheated" part.  I honestly starting crying one time, and I never cry.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #649 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
:symphonyx:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »
......I like cheese!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
So do I, whether it's in the dairy section or in a jewel case with "Symphony X" written on the front.  Either way, it's all good.

BUT SPEAKING OF JEWEL CASES, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE STUPID PACKAGING FOR PARADISE LOST!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »

Tell me about it. Every single time they tour NA it's always finals week when they're coming through the midwest. Looks like it'll be the same for 2011  :'(
Don't know about you, but I'd go to a concert the night before a final or something. Normally I'd study a ton the night before, but if I knew I was going to a concert I'd make sure I knew all the material two days prior to the test. Unless you're worried about the lack-of-sleep issue, which is personal I guess. I can pull an all-nighter (and have) on a school night and be fine the next day (until I get home).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »
There's no VIP for Arizona. :( I won't get to hump Russell's leg now. DAMNIT! :zook2:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
There's no VIP for Arizona. :( I won't get to hump Russell's leg now. DAMNIT! :zook2:

Meh.  His leg hair is actually pretty coarse.  You're better off with Rullo.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 10, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »
So do I, whether it's in the dairy section or in a jewel case with "Symphony X" written on the front.  Either way, it's all good.

BUT SPEAKING OF JEWEL CASES, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE STUPID PACKAGING FOR PARADISE LOST!!!

What, you don't like those little fold out flames?  :lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #656 on: November 12, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »

Don't know about you, but I'd go to a concert the night before a final or something. Normally I'd study a ton the night before, but if I knew I was going to a concert I'd make sure I knew all the material two days prior to the test. Unless you're worried about the lack-of-sleep issue, which is personal I guess. I can pull an all-nighter (and have) on a school night and be fine the next day (until I get home).

I agree. I go to shows on weeknights all the time. My problem isn't lack of study time, it's the fact that they never come to my city (I don't blame them  :lol) - If I wanted to see them, I'd have to drive to Chicago, which is eight hours away. Unless the show was on a weekend I wouldn't be able to make it work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: November 12, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »

What, you don't like those little fold out flames?  :lol

Yeah, I LOL'd at those.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: November 12, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
I'm excited about the tour dates. I'll likely be attending either the Montreal or Quebec City one, depending on where I am (Ottawa or Halifax) at that time.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: November 13, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
I'm hoping the new album will be out by then :\

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #660 on: November 13, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

I agree. I go to shows on weeknights all the time. My problem isn't lack of study time, it's the fact that they never come to my city (I don't blame them  :lol) - If I wanted to see them, I'd have to drive to Chicago, which is eight hours away. Unless the show was on a weekend I wouldn't be able to make it work.
Ooooohhhhh, then that's a perfectly good excuse.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #661 on: November 14, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
Bump again.

Tonight's the night!!  My friend has taken to transcribing the music of Symphony X for a school project.  We will be performing it tonight with a 4-piece combo, 5 vocalists and a 20-piece chamber orchestra.  The setlist is as follows:

Intro tape (Prelude)
Evolution
Fallen
Transcendence
The Odyssey

encore: Of Sins and Shadows

I'm told that clips (if not the whole show) will be upped to YouTube shortly thereafter, and a DVD of the project is also being produced.

:metal :metal
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #662 on: November 14, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »
Bump again.

Tonight's the night!!  My friend has taken to transcribing the music of Symphony X for a school project.  We will be performing it tonight with a 4-piece combo, 5 vocalists and a 20-piece chamber orchestra.  The setlist is as follows:

Intro tape (Prelude)
Evolution
Fallen
Transcendence
The Odyssey

encore: Of Sins and Shadows

I'm told that clips (if not the whole show) will be upped to YouTube shortly thereafter, and a DVD of the project is also being produced.

:metal :metal
good luck man

Offline Pigeon

« Reply #663 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
I miss Thomas Miller's bass work and musical ideas... DWoT and TiO are my two favorite SX releases
The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are okay, but they aren't as good as the preceding albums.

I'm gonna check out whether they'll gonna tour in my area or not

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: November 15, 2010, 05:55:10 AM »
I miss Thomas Miller's bass work and musical ideas... DWoT and TiO are my two favorite SX releases
The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are okay, but they aren't as good as the preceding albums.

I'm gonna check out whether they'll gonna tour in my area or not

Thomas Miller was a fucking genius. It's a shame he left the band, because their tone drastically changed afterwards, but everything from TDG-TiO is amazing, especially his bass work (fucking Sea of Lies)

LePond has some sweet work too though. DAT TAPPING in Seven. Instant orgasm