Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 318854 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #525 on: June 21, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
Ok, so I'm listening to PL after not hearing it for quite a while and Track 7 comes on (The Walls of Babylon).  Am I going crazy or was this song inspired by the Prince of Persia video game series?  I mean seriously, the intro sounds like music from PoP and the reference to Babylon.  The Prince's kingdom in the game was called Babylon.  I haven't completely read through the lyrics yet, but there seems to be similarities.  Am I just repeating old news?  I haven't read the entire thread so sorry if this was posted previously.

Well, both the song and the game are based on historical events, so you're not wrong...just maybe not familiar with Ancient Babylon lore.
Also, I fucking love Walls of Babylon. I know everyone else hates it, but it's my favourite off of PL, and...I'm gonna go listen to it now!
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #526 on: June 21, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
How is that ungrateful? Information about a DVD isn't something I would put in a FAQ.

Because as I stated they have never released an official Symphony X DVD and I'd bet a good chunk of their fanbase(definitely me) would very much like to know if they have any plans of action on it so, yes, I'd say that's a frequently asked question.

With all due respect, your viewpoint on the subject is just dumb and I would slap you with a herring if you had voiced it in my presence.

Are you trying to condescend, be playfully sarcastic or are you really dumb enough to try to call someone's viewpoint dumb while using the clichéd "with all due respect" disclaimer while using the word dumb in regard to them? I quite seriously like you dude despite the occasional disagreements we have(NFL thread a while back and maybe one other time that escapes me atm) but for some reason I actually did feel a little insulted by this since you felt strongly enough to call my viewpoint dumb but apparently not strongly enough to elaborate why.

So I'll ask you "what is so 'dumb' about a question regarding Symphony X's future plans on releasing(or reasons for not releasing) an official DVD?" Once again because the vast majority of bands with legit success or cult followings usually do put them out with the main reason for not doing so usually being money/record company issues. If it's an issue with the label they could easily give the fans a bland "We have no plans as of now"-type answer which admittedly wouldn't be all that great but at least would take the mystery out of the equation for a bit and we could stop holding our breath over it for those of us who are very much hoping for a DVD.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #527 on: June 21, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
How is that ungrateful? Information about a DVD isn't something I would put in a FAQ.

Because as I stated they have never released an official Symphony X DVD and I'd bet a good chunk of their fanbase(definitely me) would very much like to know if they have any plans of action on it so, yes, I'd say that's a frequently asked question.

With all due respect, your viewpoint on the subject is just dumb and I would slap you with a herring if you had voiced it in my presence.

Are you trying to condescend, be playfully sarcastic or are you really dumb enough to try to call someone's viewpoint dumb while using the clichéd "with all due respect" disclaimer while using the word dumb in regard to them? I quite seriously like you dude despite the occasional disagreements we have(NFL thread a while back and maybe one other time that escapes me atm) but for some reason I actually did feel a little insulted by this since you felt strongly enough to call my viewpoint dumb but apparently not strongly enough to elaborate why.

So I'll ask you "what is so 'dumb' about a question regarding Symphony X's future plans on releasing(or reasons for not releasing) an official DVD?" Once again because the vast majority of bands with legit success or cult followings usually do put them out with the main reason for not doing so usually being money/record company issues. If it's an issue with the label they could easily give the fans a bland "We have no plans as of now"-type answer which admittedly wouldn't be all that great but at least would take the mystery out of the equation for a bit and we could stop holding our breath over it for those of us who are very much hoping for a DVD.

I'm quite sure that Symphony X has had to answer that question countless times by now...
Besides, the fact that they don't want people asking that question should make the answer evident to any fan...
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #528 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »

Hint:  If I were serious, I would not have threatened to smack you with a herring.  Because it wouldn't really hurt.  Because herrings are not very big.  I would have gone with some sort of game fish that would really do some damage.  If I were really trying to insult you as opposed to just giving a playful jab, I would have done something like, for example, insinuating that you are a Saints fan or something along those lines that would much more clearly illustrate a sub-average IQ.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:08:31 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #529 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
 :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #530 on: September 17, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
So there's some "news" regarding Symphony X's new album today:

Hey guys. First post here and it's sort of a doozy. I've been checking here for months for updates, and have been disappointed just like the rest of you in the lack of follow through. Something happened the other day that I wasn't planning on posting as I know I'll be met with mostly skepticism, but I can't take it anymore.

My friend, a giant Symphony X fan like myself, plays in an up-and-coming New Jersey rock band. We’ll call him Scott. Scott’s band had been recording their new album with someone who has had a working relationship with Symphony X, and keeps in touch frequently. Scott told me that this individual had recently visited Michael Romeo in the Dungeon and was able to listen to samples from the upcoming album. Scott relayed to me his impressions: that the new material is somehow even heavier than the material from Paradise Lost while also reintroducing some progressive elements that were featured more prominently on V. Put simply, it sounds fantastic. From what I heard, the album is very nearly finished, requiring only some guitar overdubs and bass. Also, and I know it's a little ridiculous to say this, but bear with me -- Michael Romeo apparently told his friend, who told my friend, who relayed to me that he expects the album to be out in time for Christmas. Take from this what you will; I wouldn’t blame anyone for being skeptical. I just figured I’d put this here that someone might experience the same excitement that I felt the other day at hearing the promising news.

Now, this update doesn't come from Jax (who's been curiously absent from the Ultimate Metal boards...), so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm just glad things seem to be progressing

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
I wasn't expecting an album this year, so if it makes it that's great! But if it doesn't that's great too.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #532 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
I hope this extra heaviness doesn't mean there wont be any room for softer singing. I like Russell's raspy singing but I'd love to hear more vocals like on The Accolade and Communion and the Oracle as that's my favorite aspect of his voice.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #533 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
I'm getting a little bored of Symph X trying to be heavier and heavier. It's usually just more complex pantera riffs with akward transitions into power metal. They need to be more fluid, SOME super heavy sections, but not that many.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #534 on: September 18, 2010, 04:39:31 AM »
The only thing that annoyed me about the heaviness of PL was how it was always at the forefront. If this album has more variety in that respect then I'm sure it will be one of the best ones so far.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #535 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:12 AM »
As a big fan of SX, I would welcome another heavy album.

Personally, I think they pull this off better than anyone. A blend of both heavy and progressive/melodic songs would be even better however.

I want this album bad.  :metal
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #536 on: September 18, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »
Damn, i hope this isn't true. The heavier they get, the harder it is for me to keep listening to those albums. They are great and all, but they sound the same. How I miss the Twilight/V type of music...

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: September 18, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »
I hope this extra heaviness doesn't mean there wont be any room for softer singing. I like Russell's raspy singing but I'd love to hear more vocals like on The Accolade and Communion and the Oracle as that's my favorite aspect of his voice.

This has me concerned too. Heavy isn't bad, I just want more variety than we got on Paradise Lost.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: September 18, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »
PL was good. Really good. But the samey-ness of it all did kind of wear on you after awhile. Hard to listen to in one sitting. Yeah, next time I'd prefer something softer, or just as heavy but shorter.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 18, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »
earlier indications were that it was going to be more varied, but it's hard to tell right now because this isn't exactly a first hand (or even second hand) source. The last 'official' update we were given was back in June so who knows?

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #540 on: September 19, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
Paradise Lost was a major disappointment for me, especially because of Russell's voice. I'm not particularly fond of Odyssey for the same reason. Please don't do it again, SX.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #541 on: September 19, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
Paradise Lost is their 2nd worst album after the s/t debut.  One would hope it can only get better that that.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #542 on: September 19, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
I really didn't like PL at all. Russell can be awesome when he sings with a clear voice, and uses the harsh voice as an extra punch now and then.. but this was just too much!

Adding to that, it's that ugly Line 6 guitar tone in front of the mix ALL THE TIME. Please MJR, modelling is FINE (I do it myself), but at least tweak carefully and channel it through a tube amp or whatever, afterwards.

The keys were mixed in a weird way, and the worst thing of all: the mastering job. That's exactly the reason why some of you can't sit the album out in one sitting. It gets tedious on the ears.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #543 on: September 19, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »
Paradise Lost was an absolute gem of an album.

Just non-stop awesomeness from start to finish.

I would be completely happy with an even heavier album. They still have plenty of softer songs on their older albums. I want to see my favourite bands adapt, not make the same music time and time again.

Online Adami

« Reply #544 on: September 19, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

I would be completely happy with an even heavier album. They still have plenty of softer songs on their older albums. I want to see my favourite bands adapt, not make the same music time and time again.

But they're not adapting, they're just getting heavier. The style of heaviness hasn't changed, it's just in MUCH more abundance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #545 on: September 19, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »
I really didn't like PL at all. Russell can be awesome when he sings with a clear voice, and uses the harsh voice as an extra punch now and then.. but this was just too much!

Adding to that, it's that ugly Line 6 guitar tone in front of the mix ALL THE TIME. Please MJR, modelling is FINE (I do it myself), but at least tweak carefully and channel it through a tube amp or whatever, afterwards.

The keys were mixed in a weird way, and the worst thing of all: the mastering job. That's exactly the reason why some of you can't sit the album out in one sitting. It gets tedious on the ears.

YES! That's what I have always said - as much as I love this band I hate the guitar sound Romeo uses! It just reeks Line6. It sounds cold and digital. Compare that to Petrucci's sound - it's much more fluid, soft and alive, without losing any heaviness at all.

And I agree with what everyone has been saying - enough with the overly heavy songs! Bring back the variety and balance they used to have.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #546 on: September 19, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »

But they're not adapting, they're just getting heavier. The style of heaviness hasn't changed, it's just in MUCH more abundance.

I think there's plenty of variety in songs like The Walls of Babylon and Revelation - 2 of their best songs, IMO.

It's all down to personal taste. I've grown more fond of the speedy/heavy riffs as of late.

Online Adami

« Reply #547 on: September 19, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »
Another problem with their super heavy stuff is the odd time sigs. Symph X throw lots of odd time stuff into their music, but the heavier it is, the more forced the odd times seem to be, they seemed more natural in their more proggy stuff, like V.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: September 29, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »
On ticketmaster today:

Symphony X

The Wiltern - Los Angeles, CA - 5/10/11

LEGIT.

Can this mean that the end is near? :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #549 on: September 29, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
If they're scheduling tour dates for this time, I'm assuming we can expect the album in late May.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: September 29, 2010, 06:32:18 AM »
I heard a rumor for a bunch of Europe dates spanning Feb-March. I'm guessing the album will be out in March/April then, much like Paradise Lost

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #551 on: September 29, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »
I'll take the album whenever they feel like releasing it. The earlier, the better.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #552 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »
Damn, i hope this isn't true. The heavier they get, the harder it is for me to keep listening to those albums. They are great and all, but they sound the same. How I miss the Twilight/V type of music...

agreed, they are great, seen them many times, but yea, its becoming to predictable I agree with  wanting the Twilight/V type feeling
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: September 29, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #554 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
I'm looking to get into Symphony X. Most accessible album?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #555 on: September 29, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm looking to get into Symphony X. Most accessible album?
My take: The Odyssey is the most accessible but V is their best effort...That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the bandso don't take my word for it. :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #556 on: September 29, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
Wow, check out prices for that show...

US $44.70 (US $32.50 Ticket + US $12.20 Fees)
US $55.10 (US $42.50 Ticket + US $12.60 Fees)

The paradise of an awesome cheap show certainly might be lost...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
I lol'd

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
Wow, check out prices for that show...

US $44.70 (US $32.50 Ticket + US $12.20 Fees)
US $55.10 (US $42.50 Ticket + US $12.60 Fees)

Oooooh does this mean they're going to do the VIP tickets again? Because I will totally meet the band again

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: September 29, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.