Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 318837 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2730 on: May 18, 2022, 08:37:49 AM »
Gotcha. Still a little confusing, but I gotcha.

And yea, if it's a 25th anniversary of the band as we know it, it's a bit odd to not have that reflected at all in the set list or anything else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2731 on: May 18, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
I think Romeo always treated the debut as a demo. Or that's how he feels now.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2732 on: May 18, 2022, 09:24:59 AM »
I think also they were just tentatively coming back in 2019 and doing some touring when Russell was ready after the accident he'd been in.  They might have needed more time to plan an anniversary tour and one year later would be close enough. 

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2733 on: May 20, 2022, 11:39:29 AM »
I saw them on the 17th in Cleveland. Even with a smaller crowd (half the audience left after Haken…) they absolutely SLAYED!!  :metal :metal :metal

The last time I saw them was at the same venue, Agora Ballroom in 2015ish opening for Overkill(?). That concert really sucked for me because they essentially just played Underworld and Paradise Lost singles. Both albums I love, don’t get me wrong, but I would have loved to hear a deep cut or a really proggy song like Egypt or Accolade for variety’s sake.  Back then the band was not really on their A game either, Jason Rullo for example not being able to to do the blast beats on Kiss of Fire and Pinella fucking up the piano interlude in Without You…  it didnt help that the person I brought with me to that show was a total bitch.

But that was then, this is now.
  I think the whole band must have been practicing their chops over quarantine break because good lord they were TIGHT!  Rullo is a fucking monster on the drums, the blast beats were nailed, his drum tone was awesome. Pinnella had a great little piano solo.  Its fucking crazy how good this band is considering they don’t play to a click, and in Michael Romeo’s case, not using in-ears AT ALL. How do you even do that? 

Also, Symphony X has a great live sound in general. Haken’s new-fangled tech was honesty painful to listen to. Literally, as in like, all those synth bass drops coming from the PA system hurt my eardrums to listen to.
Symphony X literally still plays through amps, Lepond himself still has his bass tethered to something with an instrument cable, but damn, I could actually hear the bass guitar clean and clear, so that ought to mean something.

Russell was the top tier frontman he always is. My girlfriend commented that he made eye contact and interacted with every person in the room. And he was funny as hell.

Setlist overall was a pleaser. It was a treat to hear When All Is Lost and THE ODYSSEY for the first time!!!  I dropped $200 at the merch booth because they finally have some  good shirts. I got an amazing zip up hoodie with all the studio album covers on the back and a vinyl version of Iconoclast signed by the band.
Best concert experience I’ve ever had, hands down. Better than Foo Fighters, Between The Buried and Me, Genesis… I’m beyond satisfied. I love this band too much.

Russell said many times during the show that his passion for performing this music was really reignited on this tour and he wants Symphony X to get on the road again hopefully in the next few years… we’ll see, fingers crossed.
If they do, personally, I vote that they bring out some more deep cuts and retire this set list for at least one tour cycle.  Communion and The Oracle, Paradise Lost, Walls of Babylon, Divine Wings, Egypt, Looking Glass… PLEASE!  :hefdaddy

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2734 on: May 20, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
Pleased to read you had a great time dude, SymX are super dope. Good to hear they still got it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online geeeemo

« Reply #2735 on: May 20, 2022, 01:15:22 PM »
Seeing them next week! With a new DT buddy I met at a preshow meet up! (yay! another girl to rock with!)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2736 on: May 20, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »
I saw them on the 17th in Cleveland. Even with a smaller crowd (half the audience left after Haken…) they absolutely SLAYED!!  :metal :metal :metal

The last time I saw them was at the same venue, Agora Ballroom in 2015ish opening for Overkill(?). That concert really sucked for me because they essentially just played Underworld and Paradise Lost singles. Both albums I love, don’t get me wrong, but I would have loved to hear a deep cut or a really proggy song like Egypt or Accolade for variety’s sake.  Back then the band was not really on their A game either, Jason Rullo for example not being able to to do the blast beats on Kiss of Fire and Pinella fucking up the piano interlude in Without You…  it didnt help that the person I brought with me to that show was a total bitch.

But that was then, this is now.
  I think the whole band must have been practicing their chops over quarantine break because good lord they were TIGHT!  Rullo is a fucking monster on the drums, the blast beats were nailed, his drum tone was awesome. Pinnella had a great little piano solo.  Its fucking crazy how good this band is considering they don’t play to a click, and in Michael Romeo’s case, not using in-ears AT ALL. How do you even do that? 

Also, Symphony X has a great live sound in general. Haken’s new-fangled tech was honesty painful to listen to. Literally, as in like, all those synth bass drops coming from the PA system hurt my eardrums to listen to.
Symphony X literally still plays through amps, Lepond himself still has his bass tethered to something with an instrument cable, but damn, I could actually hear the bass guitar clean and clear, so that ought to mean something.

Russell was the top tier frontman he always is. My girlfriend commented that he made eye contact and interacted with every person in the room. And he was funny as hell.

Setlist overall was a pleaser. It was a treat to hear When All Is Lost and THE ODYSSEY for the first time!!!  I dropped $200 at the merch booth because they finally have some  good shirts. I got an amazing zip up hoodie with all the studio album covers on the back and a vinyl version of Iconoclast signed by the band.
Best concert experience I’ve ever had, hands down. Better than Foo Fighters, Between The Buried and Me, Genesis… I’m beyond satisfied. I love this band too much.

Russell said many times during the show that his passion for performing this music was really reignited on this tour and he wants Symphony X to get on the road again hopefully in the next few years… we’ll see, fingers crossed.
If they do, personally, I vote that they bring out some more deep cuts and retire this set list for at least one tour cycle.  Communion and The Oracle, Paradise Lost, Walls of Babylon, Divine Wings, Egypt, Looking Glass… PLEASE!  :hefdaddy

That's unfortunate. When I saw them in 2011, Nevermore was on the bill but cancelled, so there wasn't very many people at the venue. They still put on an amazing show like it was a full house. Haken is boring as fuck and I'd hate to have to sit through them.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2737 on: May 20, 2022, 05:21:13 PM »
That’s criminal that a bunch of people walked out after Haken . . . have they never heard Russ sing? Or heard Romeo play? Idiots.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: May 20, 2022, 05:24:10 PM »
That’s criminal that a bunch of people walked out after Haken . . . have they never heard Russ sing? Or heard Romeo play? Idiots.

It's criminal that people went just to see Haken.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2739 on: May 20, 2022, 09:02:04 PM »
Glad you had such a good experience, Progdrummer.  I have heard from friend who went that Russell sounded a lot better than he did last time around, and the show was more overall better as well.  Most thought it was a little short and had been hoping for tracks such as you suggested.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2740 on: May 20, 2022, 11:13:41 PM »
Just got back from the show in St. Louis and it was pretty freaking awesome! I’ve never seen Symphony X perform and man I’m bummed this was the only time I have.

Russell Allen flat out commands the room and is a beast of a singer…..plain and simple. Romeo was electric and the rest of the band were tight as hell. Such a good show. Allen was interacting with the crowd all night….which BTW may have been the best crowd I’ve been a part of. Just alive and in to it all.

Even the girl singer from ‘Trope’ was blown away at the response……Ross and the rest of the Haken clan looked happy as all get out over the energy of the crowd….it was real fun night. Me and my two older sons went. They love Haken and that was their first time seeing them and they were floored by Symphony X.

The kiddos got to meet and speak with Peter after Hakens set and when we were walking to my truck after the show we cut through the alleyway behind the venue and there was Allen, Romeo and the bass player smoking cigs. Just said a quick hi to them and told them it was an awesome night….they said thanks and we were on our way.

I’d highly recommend going to see this show if you can.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: May 21, 2022, 11:44:30 AM »
That sounds like a great time Gary! Glad you and the boys had fun.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: May 24, 2022, 06:55:53 AM »
I was on the fence about going to this show because it's 3 hours each way to Orlando.  I love Haken and have always liked Symphony X. I just saw that they're playing the Odyssey and saw the performance from NYC... HOLY SHIT!!  They sound absolutely phenomenal!!!!  I'm off that damn fence now for sure!!! :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2743 on: May 24, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »
Show was awesome last night. I ended up in the front row.

Russell's sort of Covid talk was a great precursor to start Without You. Other than, he never really mentioned it much at all.

Russell was having a blast, and he was having fun the security in the front. There was a guy in a mobile wheelchair, who was in the bottom pit and security and most of the crowd did their best to keep him safe. Due to this, Russell mentioned that to the security guard, thanked him a lot, and then he gave a pic to the guard to hand to the guy in the wheelchair.

Even though the set was closer to past tours, it was my first time seeing them so I didn't care, it still was an amazing show.

After the set ended, I stayed and waited for the sound guy, and asked him for the set. Amazingly, no one else was there waiting for it. Soon after, this guy came up to me to take a picture of it.

Haken was amazing as well, but will post more about it in that thread and a full show review in the concert thread.

Overall, I had a blast and would have loved to have seen this show in Albuquerque. Too bad for that venue though not rebooking them because it was amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2744 on: May 24, 2022, 10:27:02 AM »
After the set ended, I stayed and waited for the sound guy, and asked him for the set. Amazingly, no one else was there waiting for it. Soon after, this guy came up to me to take a picture of it.

They didn't let you keep it? 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: May 24, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »

I'm that idiot. I was originally going to stay the whole show, but after the first few songs, I got really bored and hungry, so I left. No shade to the band. Russ sounded amazing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2746 on: May 24, 2022, 03:03:21 PM »

I'm that idiot. I was originally going to stay the whole show, but after the first few songs, I got really bored and hungry, so I left. No shade to the band. Russ sounded amazing.

No offense meant man, it’s your $.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2747 on: May 24, 2022, 04:47:07 PM »

They didn't let you keep it?

Of course they did. While I turned around to leave, this guy came up to me asking to take a picture. That was after I accidentally sort of curved it the wrong way and taped it at the ends. I carefully took it apart as I walked to my ride.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: May 25, 2022, 06:29:29 AM »
No offense meant man, it’s your $.

None taken! This is a Symphony X thread; it's expected for you to be a passionate fan.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #2749 on: May 27, 2022, 01:44:32 PM »

I don't think I've ever been THAT hungry!  :corn :facepalm:

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #2750 on: May 27, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »
Just got back from the show in St. Louis and it was pretty freaking awesome! I’ve never seen Symphony X perform and man I’m bummed this was the only time I have.

Russell Allen flat out commands the room and is a beast of a singer…..plain and simple. Romeo was electric and the rest of the band were tight as hell. Such a good show. Allen was interacting with the crowd all night….which BTW may have been the best crowd I’ve been a part of. Just alive and in to it all.

Even the girl singer from ‘Trope’ was blown away at the response……Ross and the rest of the Haken clan looked happy as all get out over the energy of the crowd….it was real fun night. Me and my two older sons went. They love Haken and that was their first time seeing them and they were floored by Symphony X.

The kiddos got to meet and speak with Peter after Hakens set and when we were walking to my truck after the show we cut through the alleyway behind the venue and there was Allen, Romeo and the bass player smoking cigs. Just said a quick hi to them and told them it was an awesome night….they said thanks and we were on our way.

I’d highly recommend going to see this show if you can.
We can disagree on the Blues/Avs....but I saw this show in Denver and it was amazing.  :coolio

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: May 27, 2022, 01:49:00 PM »

Let's say there were other things in effect that probably made me feel more hungry than I was. :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2752 on: May 27, 2022, 03:23:22 PM »
The show in Seattle was ridiculously awesome last night!  :metal
I missed most of Haken as we missed the ferry by about one minute, lol!
Then we missed half of the encore (The Odyssey) because we had to bolt
 for the 12:15 ferry to get back across the water.  Arghh!!
I brought friend to the show and he was floored, and is now a Symphony X fan. 💥🤘
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online geeeemo

« Reply #2753 on: May 27, 2022, 04:46:51 PM »

I met up with a DT fan I met in Denver for the Salt Lake show. I thought we were having dinner first. But she just started walking to the venue. She lives there so I was like OK.  We went up to the balcony (All GA about 800 people total for the venue) and there was a bar.
I had beer for dinner....
Oh and the show was awesome. We went down to the floor for Symphony X and got pretty close. I love the vibe of GA.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2754 on: May 27, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »
Post intended for another thread deleted.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2755 on: May 27, 2022, 07:34:42 PM »

I agree.  I'm a Symphony X fan but saw Haken's set and was very impressed.  If I waited for Symphony X's set to enter the theater, I would have missed a good band that I will be digging into further.  That being said, I didn't see Trope.  I'm still irritated that they had three bands play.  I wish Symphony X hit the stage earlier and played longer.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2756 on: May 28, 2022, 09:20:17 AM »

I'm still irritated that they had three bands play.  I wish Symphony X hit the stage earlier and played longer.
This!  I missed most of the encore (The Odyssey) because I had to catch the 12:15 ferry departing from Seattle. I was really looking forward to seeing that song live.. :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2757 on: May 28, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »

I'm still irritated that they had three bands play.  I wish Symphony X hit the stage earlier and played longer.
This!  I missed most of the encore (The Odyssey) because I had to catch the 12:15 ferry departing from Seattle. I was really looking forward to seeing that song live.. :facepalm:

Going to a Symphony X show and missing their best song, damn that’s terrible!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2758 on: May 28, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »
Terrible indeed, in fact,, CRIMINAL !!!   Still had a great time regardless, they were amazing.. 💯💪

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: May 28, 2022, 09:38:11 PM »
I also had to leave before the end of the odyssey, train to catch as it was approaching 11:30. Usually I don't get too annoyed with the later shows but relying on public transportation makes it difficult.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2760 on: May 28, 2022, 10:14:03 PM »
I also had to leave before the end of the odyssey, train to catch as it was approaching 11:30. Usually I don't get too annoyed with the later shows but relying on public transportation makes it difficult.

Like when I had to miss the rest of Sons of Apollo's set, including Lines In The Sand, to catch the MARTA back to my hotel.

Offline Art

« Reply #2761 on: May 31, 2022, 06:06:24 AM »
Is Russell spewing antivaxx stuff? (god, I hope not...)

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2762 on: May 31, 2022, 08:20:15 AM »

Not at all. In Denver, his "Covid" talk didn't even mention Covid by name at all.  All he mentioned was the hardships we all had to go through. That talk was the lead in to mention the next song saying, we can't do this...Without You.

Offline Art

« Reply #2763 on: May 31, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »

Not at all. In Denver, his "Covid" talk didn't even mention Covid by name at all.  All he mentioned was the hardships we all had to go through. That talk was the lead in to mention the next song saying, we can't do this...Without You.

that's a relief! we don't need another Jon Schaffer, and Russell always seemed such a nice guy, that I would hate to see him go down that path.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2764 on: May 31, 2022, 09:22:24 AM »

Of course, if he did we wouldn't have a problem with that because we respect all points of view, right?

[I am triple vaxxed by the way, but totally understand if one is resistant to take the vaccine]