Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 318557 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1295 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
So I was listening to my Ipod on shuffle last night (Sorry Steven) and two Paradise Lost songs came on and I quite enjoyed them both. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1296 on: December 14, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
Yeah, all the songs range from good (Domination, Serpent's Kiss) to great (Paradise Lost, Revelation) - it's only when listening to it in one sitting that it becomes somewhat a chore.

EDIT: Just checked read the last page. My reaction: :whatthe:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:28:05 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1297 on: December 14, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
My god what happened here?  :lol

Saying a woman likes a band only because she thinks the guys are hot is like, beyond dimwitted. And yes, that's what you did. Just because you said "maybe" doesn't make the suggestion better.

I keep having to apologize for my gender these days way too often anymore. And that being said, c'mon, I defended Paradise Lost and Iconoclast. COME AT ME.  :P
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: December 14, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »

Saying a woman likes a band only because she thinks the guys are hot is like, beyond dimwitted. And yes, that's what you did. Just because you said "maybe" doesn't make the suggestion better.

I keep having to apologize for my gender these days way too often anymore. And that being said, c'mon, I defended Paradise Lost and Iconoclast. COME AT ME.  :P

FFS. I never said she liked the band only because someone was hot. I said MAYBE she enjoyed the live show more due to this.  It wasn't a suggestion, it was an uncertain question on attraction.

:chill

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1299 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
Okay, here's the final word on the issue:  Mindflux, your explanation about what you meant makes perfect sense.  And I think nightmare_cinema, judging from her response, gets what you meant by your statement now that you have explained it.  But the other side of the coin is that the way you worded it was offensive, and you are not getting that.  You may not have meant it that way, but it definitely came across as offense, even though you may not have meant to have done anything wrong.  And the quickest way to remedy a situation like that is an acknowledgement rather than defending yourself and throwing up the "I didn't do anything wrong!" defense.  Much easier to just say something like, "I see how you took what I said, and I apologize for the way it came across and didn't mean to have offended you," and then just move on.  That's what I would recommend.  But let's just leave it at that.  Please do not further derail the thread with these pointless arguments about what was said and what was intended, okay?

And for what it's worth, @ nightmare_cinema:  Personally, I don't think your positive reaction to SX's live show has anything to do with being attracted to the band.  But I do have a thought.  See, I think the common thread is actually:  sandwiches.  Michael Romeo has obviously eaten his fair share of them.  And you, as a woman, are obviously good at making them for your man.  So, please, go fix us all some sammiches.  kthx.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1300 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
And for what it's worth, @ nightmare_cinema:  Personally, I don't think your positive reaction to SX's live show has anything to do with being attracted to the band.  But I do have a thought.  See, I think the common thread is actually:  sandwiches.  Michael Romeo has obviously eaten his fair share of them.  And you, as a woman, are obviously good at making them for your man.  So, please, go fix us all some sammiches.  kthx.

:clap: 

I literally laughed out loud.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
Edit: nevermind
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1302 on: December 14, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »

I just read the previous page and I have to agree. My firm belief that people who appreciate progressive music are mature and  beyond superficial statements has been shattered.

Apart from that, Symphony X isn't a C-grade Dream Theater clone. Their albums from DWOT to V are important Prog Metal landmarks, enjoying them live just for the music (even if the shows are bland) doesn't require any special reason - they are just a damn fine band.
Luckily, the woman on the previous page handled it very well.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
My firm belief that people who appreciate progressive music are mature and  beyond superficial statements has been shattered.

Holding people who appreciate progressive or any kind of music to some kind of standard different from other people is just as dumb.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1304 on: December 14, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »
My firm belief that people who appreciate progressive music are mature and  beyond superficial statements has been shattered.
Hahahaha

hahaha

haaaaa
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1305 on: December 14, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »

Holding people who appreciate progressive or any kind of music to some kind of standard different from other people is just as dumb.

Sorry. I thought that the self-irony in this sentence was obvious due to the exaggerated language. I will remember to add a smiley next time I write such a joke ;)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
Sarcasm green is a good choice too.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: December 14, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Much easier to just say something like, "I see how you took what I said, and I apologize for the way it came across and didn't mean to have offended you," and then just move on.  That's what I would recommend.  But let's just leave it at that.  Please do not further derail the thread with these pointless arguments about what was said and what was intended, okay?

I sent her a PM (before you posted this) apologizing for the confusion.   :coolio

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1308 on: December 14, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
:tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1309 on: December 14, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »

See a good sexist joke I can generally get on board with.. but I've heard too many sandwich jokes in my time :P I'm good at making them, though. If you like vegan food. Which is probably not what you were thinking.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online Adami

« Reply #1310 on: December 14, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »

See a good sexist joke I can generally get on board with.. but I've heard too many sandwich jokes in my time :P I'm good at making them, though. If you like vegan food. Which is probably not what you were thinking.

Vegan power!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1311 on: December 14, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Milk n eggs, bitch!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1312 on: December 14, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »

Well, then I'm glad I didn't take it to the next level by responding to Mindflux:  "Yeah, well I sent her a PM before you sent her a PM, with my sandwich order."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1313 on: December 14, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
:rollin :rollin

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1314 on: December 14, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
 :rollin

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1315 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
Sandwich jokes never get old.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1316 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »
:hearts:

But, no, I don't think I'd like vegan sandwiches, so I'm afraid our relationship is doomed before it begins.  Friends then?

Online Adami

« Reply #1317 on: December 14, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1318 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »

But, no, I don't think I'd like vegan sandwiches, so I'm afraid our relationship is doomed before it begins.  Friends then?

You've never had an avocado, red onion and tomato sandwich in a ciabatta then ;) but sure, friends works for me.

Milk n eggs, bitch!

Shot down. :(

I assumed you were referring to Scott Pilgrim...?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1319 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
I wish avocados were fat free like veggies since that's basically what they are culinarily despite being a nut. I'd eat like 20 a day if I could.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:53:59 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1320 on: December 15, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »

:clap: 

I literally laughed out loud.

This

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: December 15, 2012, 05:08:05 AM »
hmmm, something's wrong here.

Yeah, and I like Symphony X. Don't ruin this band's thread with sandwithes!

(Even though I also like sandwithes...)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1322 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »

You've never had an avocado, red onion and tomato sandwich in a ciabatta then ;)

Well, don't get me wrong--that sounds good.  But add a bit of bacon or turkey, and we're taking it up to a whole different level.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1323 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
Okay, time to hijack this thread.

Iconoclast is awesome. I don't know what you guys are smoking to think otherwise.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1324 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
It"s good for the most part. It does have a couple stinkers though, but Dehumanized isn't one of them.

Online Adami

« Reply #1325 on: December 15, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »

Milk n eggs, bitch!

Shot down. :(

I assumed you were referring to Scott Pilgrim...?

Nope. Referring to me being an on again off again vegan, but always a vegetarian. Ah well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1326 on: December 15, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
The poll has made me re-listen to V more in detail because i haven't really listen the whole album in years actually, specific songs maybe but not the album in one listen. Damn that album is good. Love the smooth transition between the songs and the lyrics and the theme are awesome. I have kind of forgotten how technical the songs are, there's alot of time changes going on and rythmic modulations between the members, i love stuff like that!  :metal

It's gonna be a tough poll because i'm still not certain how i should vote on some songs.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1327 on: December 15, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
If you vote against A Fool's Paradise in any round of the V survivor, we are not a match.

You're right though, it's a great album. Some of the songs aren't that great on their own (On the Breath of Poseidon, I'm looking at you!), but as a whole, it's an absolutely stunning experience.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1328 on: December 15, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
If you vote against A Fool's Paradise in any round of the V survivor, we are not a match.

You're right though, it's a great album. Some of the songs aren't that great on their own (On the Breath of Poseidon, I'm looking at you!), but as a whole, it's an absolutely stunning experience.
To be honest that's not a song, as the title say it's a segue "a transition to the next section" in this case "a transition to the following song", so it's kind of unfair to count it like a stand alone song but of course you can still judge it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1329 on: December 15, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »
True. Same applies for The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm, though. Not a song that I would listen on its own, but it absolutely works perfectly in the context of the album.