Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 281383 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Any scenario is bad, some are worse.  The proposed Farmers downtown stadium would have been the absolute worst.  You'd have a football stadium, the convention center, Staple center, and Nokia Live all compact in one small area.  At least with Inglewood you have a less congested area compared to downtown.  Plus 2 freeway access instead of 1.  The best scenario I think was the city of Industry proposal, next to a 3 freeway interchange.  For me, I'll deal with traffic to have my team back.  I dealt with it in Anaheim ( I wasn't driving yet when I saw them at the Colosseum in the 70's).  They might tie in the Metro link for a complex that big also!
The CoI proposal (which is still on the table, I thought) seemed like the winner. I also liked the in-Earth construction they had planned up. While HP is great real estate and certainly big enough for a complex like that, it just seems completely inconvenient unless you're going to fly SWA to and from each game (which I'm sure many will do).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

The CoI proposal (which is still on the table, I thought) seemed like the winner. I also liked the in-Earth construction they had planned up. While HP is great real estate and certainly big enough for a complex like that, it just seems completely inconvenient unless you're going to fly SWA to and from each game (which I'm sure many will do).

That's a great point.  Looking at the proximity of LAX it could be REAL easy for out of towners to get in and out easily.  For me, traffic to Inglewood (my birth city  ;D )  isn't too bad from Huntington Beach.  I'll be one of the first in line for season tix if this really happens.  It will also, the whole complex, bring a lot of jobs and growth/revitalization to the area.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes, but traffic around LAX makes it miserable for locals no matter where in the L.A./O.C. area you are coming from.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, but traffic around LAX makes it miserable for locals no matter where in the L.A./O.C. area you are coming from.

Not as bad now since they built the 105.   I can go 105 east to the 110, or south on the 405.  Yeah there will be traffic, but there are levels of traffic that us Angelinos can handle  :lol  On a Sunday afternoon, I can deal with it.  Still overall a better plan than downtown at the Farmers site...man, that would be really brutal!  Can you imagine downtown LA, a Rams game, a Lakers or Kings game, a Nokia event, and convention stuff?  WOW...crazy brutal right there!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So does this mean that the Rams are coming for sure?  If so, good that L.A. gets them back, but it sucks that St. Louis will once again lose a team.  They need their Cardinals back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I just don't see why California needs 4 teams. That's just too much and it's ridiculous honestly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I just don't see why California needs 4 teams. That's just too much and it's ridiculous honestly.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement, honestly.  :lol  It's not about how many teams a given state has.  California has six urban areas of close to 2,000,000 or more, with L.A. being the second largest in the country, behind New York City.  There are quite a few metropolitan areas smaller than L.A. that have teams.  If the population supports it and there is a market for a team, it does not (and should not) matter what state they happen to be in.

Honestly, given how large California is, both geographically and population-wise, it is interesting to me that they only have 3 teams.  Take a slice of the U.S. the same size in the north east and you have 7:  Patriots, Jets, Giants, Bills, Eagles, Ravens, and Redskins.  Or even moving that same sized slice down to the less populated south east, you still have 5:  Dolphins, Jaguars, Bucs, Falcons, and Panthers.  Still not fair?  Okay, let's take a California-sized slice of the Midwest then.  That will surely help your argument, because that only gives us...Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions, Colts, Browns and Bengals.  Well...shoot. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:49:48 PM by bosk1 »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
So does this mean that the Rams are coming for sure?  If so, good that L.A. gets them back, but it sucks that St. Louis will once again lose a team.  They need their Cardinals back.

I don't think anything is 100%.  But here for the first time in 20 years you have an NFL Owner willing to shell out his own $$ for a stadium in LA, absolutely no tax payer dollars for the whole complex (80,000 Stadium, 6000 seat entertainment venue, shopping etc...).  I think the NFL would be crazy to not approve it, same with the city of Inglewood.  They're projecting this complex will bring in excess of 1 billion and create 40,000 jobs.  Now, St. Louis is going to give it their best counter offer on Friday, but I think it's going to be too little too late.  I also empathize for the St. Lou fans, I know EXACTLY what it feels like to have my team taken from me.  Nothings guaranteed....but I'm starting to get really excited!!  My Dad, went to all the Rams games as a kid in the late 40's and 50's.  I went to games in the 70's at the Colosseum and 80-90's at the Big A. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a pretty ridiculous statement, honestly.  :lol  It's not about how many teams a given state has.  California has six urban areas of close to 2,000,000 or more, with L.A. being the second largest in the country, behind New York City.  There are quite a few metropolitan areas smaller than L.A. that have teams.  If the population supports it and there is a market for a team, it does not (and should not) matter what state they happen to be in.

Honestly, given how large California is, both geographically and population-wise, it is interesting to me that they only have 3 teams.  Take a slice of the U.S. the same size in the north east and you have 7:  Patriots, Jets, Giants, Bills, Eagles, Ravens, and Redskins.  Or even moving that same sized slice down to the less populated south east, you still have 5:  Dolphins, Jaguars, Bucs, Falcons, and Panthers.  Still not fair?  Okay, let's take a California-sized slice of the Midwest then.  That will surely help your argument, because that only gives us...Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions, Colts, Browns and Bengals.  Well...shoot.

Offline dparrott

I would think more people would support the Rams because of the old fan base than an unknown expansion team.  But it's still all talk at this point, same old shit we've heard before.

And if they do move, I vote for a re-branding.  Leave the navy and gold in the STL.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And if they do move, I vote for a re-branding.  Leave the navy and gold in the STL.

Actually, that's where I would disagree.  The navy and gold originated in L.A., so if the team goes back, bring the entire thing back.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
His last 5 playoff QB ratings are unreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

Actually, that's where I would disagree.  The navy and gold originated in L.A., so if the team goes back, bring the entire thing back.

I'd argue that they were blue and yellow in L.A.  Didn't the navy and metallic gold come in STL?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Oh, okay.  That's fine.  I thought you were speaking generally about their color scheme.

Offline jammindude

ESPN's John Carlson just said on the radio that they are also thinking about moving the Chargers up to LA.   That would be an interesting move.   I've always heard that San Diego has never been that great about supporting the team...even though they feel a bit like a mainstay, and they do have their hard core people.   I'd certainly feel a bit better about moving them than Oakland.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Back to the infamous Dallas/Detroit no-call:  I was initially silent and did not chime in because I was biased in favor of wanting Detroit to lose, and it was a close enough call that I was not completely convinced that my opinion was not tainted by my bias.  But having read a breakdown of the play and the applicable rules by Kevin Seifert that confirms what I thought was the correct series of events, even though the specific no-calls were in some respects incorrect, and even though it was clumsily handled, the net result was 100% correct. 

The four potential penalties that should have been called:
1.  Defensive holding on Hitchens:  He grabbed Pettigrew's jersey outside of 5 yards.  Should have been called.  No flag was thrown.  This wasn't even on the radar, so the refs likely didn't see it.  But it should have been called if seen.
2.  Offensive pass interference/face mask by Pettigrew:  Pettigrew clearly grabbed Hitchens' face mask and held on for dear life.  I had been wondering why no one mentioned this.  It was a clear-cut face mask penalty and should have been called.  It could be argued that it is also pass interference that prevented Hitches from playing the ball in the first place.  But either way, a face mask penalty would offset the defensive holding that should have been called.
3.  Defensive pass interference:  A bit subjective, but I don't believe it should have been called.  No, Hitchens was NOT playing the ball.  But he also did not cause the contact.  The contact appeared to be caused by Pettigrew attempting to stop and by Pettigrew grabbing Hitchens' face mask, which partially prevented Hitchens from doing the same.  Good no call, but this one is close.
4.  Dez Bryant running onto the field to protest the call:  Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(j) prohibits "removal of a helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player."  His helmet was off already before he entered the field of play.  Yeah, it violated the spirit of the rule.  But it didn't violate the rule.  Good no-call.

So what should have happened, ideally, is offsetting penalties of defensive holding and offensive face mask, and no flag for pass interference or for...whatever the name of the penalty against Bryant would have been--resulting in 4th down.  So, yeah, the refs mishandled it.  But it was still the correct net result.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I would think more people would support the Rams because of the old fan base than an unknown expansion team.  But it's still all talk at this point, same old shit we've heard before.

Stan Kronke owns the rights to the  "Los Angeles Rams" brand TM as well as the "St. Louis" Rams brand TM.  It would be absurd to think the city of St. Louis could have rights to the name and or colors.  The Rams spent 48 years in Los Angeles, then 20 in St. Louis.  As far as colors...again, he owns ALL the rights for the Rams.  Personally?  I hate the new millenium colors.  Back to the LA Blue and Gold would be quite fitting if the move is pulled off.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-st-louis-rams-trademark-los-angeles-20150105-story.html

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Yeah, if the Rams move it would be nice to see blue and yellow again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Pack over Cowgirls

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

While on that subject...this was my score from Mrs. Clause this xmas.......

Jack Youngblood signed/authenticated jersey

New Era 1991 Signed Henry Ellard cap...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

While on that subject...this was my score from Mrs. Clause this xmas.......

Jack Youngblood signed/authenticated jersey

New Era 1991 Signed Henry Ellard cap...

Both of those are awesome.

I would love to see the Rams go back to that color scheme full time, regardless of where they play.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
So I had my Tuesday's Manager conference call today and asked everyone besides the Symrna site if they were enjoying the playoffs.  I threw gasoline on the fire. :lol  They started to smack talk and I reminded them that they were all out of the playoffs. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
With any luck, the Patriots will be as well by the time Saturday is over. :biggrin: :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Wishful thinking Kev.  *Pounds Chest like a gorilla *

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Saw this in another forum, this is too much

https://www.amazon.com/Gronking-Remember-Gronkowski-Erotica-Series-ebook/dp/B00RN7TNHE

I saw this too on a local sports radio host's Facebook page.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Saturday at Foxboro, High of 19 , low in the single digits.  Football weather.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Should be epic!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
You gonna be there?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nope.  This is the first year I have not gone to a game since 1986. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
My picks for this weekend's games

New England over Baltimore 38-20.
Seattle over Carolina 29-3
Dallas over Green Bay 28-21
Denver over Indy 31-21

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
DOC, no way the Pats win by 18.  It will be close.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
DOC, no way the Pats win by 18.  It will be close.

Healthy Gronk? Best Pats defense in years? Worst Ravens defense in years? To me, it all adds up to a big win for the Pats.  I also think that Flacco will throw at least two picks.

I know that games aren't played on paper, and anything can happen....so I'll be hoping for the best. But I'm thinking New England is about to go on a little redemption run of their own, beating the last two teams that knocked them out of the playoffs, on the way to Arizona.