Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283177 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Mike Nugent Lays the Pipe on My F***ing Bye Week
« Reply #1855 on: October 21, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
What's Warren Moon doing these days?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1856 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
It sucks that almost no one is talking about him cause he plays for the Bills, but Sammy Watkins looks awesome already.  The Bills did good by trading up to get this guy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1857 on: October 22, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
It sucks that almost no one is talking about him cause he plays for the Bills, but Sammy Watkins looks awesome already.  The Bills did good by trading up to get this guy.

And with the QB's he's worked with so far.  the kid is going to be a star.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1858 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
I really like the Patriots trade. They get a 7 and an a competent ILB run stopper for a number 6. Not sure what Tennessee's knock against the kid was. Maybe he's a pyromaniac or something. Still rather have Chandler Jones back, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1859 on: October 22, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »
From what I've heard is that in 2012 he had patella (sp?) surgery and wasn't the same last year and fell down on the depth chart.  So we'll see with over a year removed from the surgery how he responds.  At least the Pats are being proactive and like you said Bart, I would much rather have Chandler Jones. Now 2 of the 3 most important defensive starters for the Pats are out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1860 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
From what I've heard is that in 2012 he had patella (sp?) surgery and wasn't the same last year and fell down on the depth chart.  So we'll see with over a year removed from the surgery how he responds.  At least the Pats are being proactive and like you said Bart, I would much rather have Chandler Jones. Now 2 of the 3 most important defensive starters for the Pats are out.
BB says they have no idea what they'll do with him. Apparently he can play DL or LB, which makes him a perfect fit given what the Patriots do and the players they like to have. Nothing like a guy who can fill roles as needed.

Here's a good write up on how they might play things now. https://nesn.com/2014/10/akeem-ayers-alan-branch-will-help-patriots-run-defense-at-a-major-cost/
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: October 22, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
Damn that is some deep analysis.  Team have been killing is on the run last year and this year when Mayo isn't there.  Interesting to see how this plays out with the quality of QB's we will be facing over the next month or so.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1862 on: October 22, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

And with the QB's he's worked with so far.  the kid is going to be a star.

For sure.  From what I have read, the guy gets open with relative ease.  A big part of the reason they benched Manuel and put Orton in was that Watkins was going to waste all day with Manuel never noticing how open he always was or simply missing him. 

Four games with Manuel: Watkins caught 17 of 32 targets (53%)
Three games with Orton: Watkins caught 18 of 29 targets (62%)

So, while not a huge uptick, he clearly is better with Orton.  Plus, they probably don't win the Detroit and Minnesota games without him - he made that ridiculous catch against Detroit to put them in position for the winning FG, and then caught the winning score the other day against the Vikings.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1863 on: October 22, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
What's Warren Moon doing these days?

Actually, he does color commentary for the Seahawks!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1864 on: October 22, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »
Racist.  You know, you could just say he is doing commentary and leave it at that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1865 on: October 22, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Racist.  You know, you could just say he is doing commentary and leave it at that.
Yeah. . . . . IN CANADA!
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: October 22, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Yeah. . . . . IN CANADA!

:lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1867 on: October 22, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »

He should one-up Cosell when a white player is running with the ball and say "look at that little honkey go!".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1868 on: October 22, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
3. Arizona - still the best team no one is talking about.

How so?  I mean, I'm not knocking your ranking.  I'm just curious whether you see something truly special about them, or if you are just going off of their record.  As someone who pays attention to them since they are in the division, I do not see anything special about them.  They are a good team, but probably not as good as the team that barely missed the playoffs last year.  I see them finishing a game or 2 behind the '9ers and a game or 1 up on the Seahawks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1869 on: October 22, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »

He should one-up Cosell when a white player is running with the ball and say "look at that little honkey go!".
As I recall Cosell called somebody a little monkey, which in that particular context was racially neutral. Really pretty unfair given Cosell's longstanding tendency towards being one of the least racist people around at that point.

And then of course there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdVwt2deY4   (NSFW, I suppose)
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1870 on: October 22, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »
3. Arizona - still the best team no one is talking about.

How so?  I mean, I'm not knocking your ranking.  I'm just curious whether you see something truly special about them, or if you are just going off of their record.  As someone who pays attention to them since they are in the division, I do not see anything special about them.  They are a good team, but probably not as good as the team that barely missed the playoffs last year.  I see them finishing a game or 2 behind the '9ers and a game or 1 up on the Seahawks.

Okay, but you are not exactly impartial when it comes to the 49ers. :lol ;)

I do power rankings based on how teams have looked so far, not how I think they will look in two, four or eight weeks.  5-1, with wins over the 5-2 Chargers and 4-3 49ers, is very impressive, especially since they didn't have their starting QB for half of their games so far. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1871 on: October 22, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Of course I am not impartial.  I don't deny that.  :lol  But I think I can still certainly make a fair case for the 49ers being just as solid a team given their victories over the 6-1 Cowboys and 5-1 Eagles AND having almost the same score against Denver as the Cards did, despite 1/4 of their starters being injured/suspended.

But again, I'm not trying to argue that your rankings are somehow wrong or anything.  Just trying to generate discussion about what in particular you find impressive, that's all. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1872 on: October 22, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
Of course I am not impartial.  I don't deny that.  :lol  But I think I can still certainly make a fair case for the 49ers being just as solid a team given their victories over the 6-1 Cowboys and 5-1 Eagles AND having almost the same score against Denver as the Cards did, despite 1/4 of their starters being injured/suspended.

But again, I'm not trying to argue that your rankings are somehow wrong or anything.  Just trying to generate discussion about what in particular you find impressive, that's all.
Only reason the 9'ers got any traction started in the Eagles game was a terrible defensive holding call which gave them another four downs after failing to convert which they then scored on. Of course they still could have won even without that, but that definitely gave them traction.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1873 on: October 22, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
Well, sure.  You can say the same thing about a couple of horrible calls in the Cards in the game where the Cards beat the '9ers, or the Bears in the '9ers/Bears game.  Those teams were getting soundly beaten, but turned the tide after some really bad calls.  But those things happen.  Eliminate those calls in those 2 games and maybe the '9ers are 6-1.  Eliminate them in all three and maybe the '9ers are 5-2.  We'll never know. 

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1874 on: October 22, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »

Only reason the 9'ers got any traction started in the Eagles game was a terrible defensive holding call which gave them another four downs after failing to convert which they then scored on. Of course they still could have won even without that, but that definitely gave them traction.
Nah, I wouldn't blame it on penalties. The Eagles just got destroyed in the trenches because they had 3 backup offensive lineman. That's definitely the reason they lost that game. Of course, the fact that they had 3 backup OL and were still within 1 yard of winning that game is pretty impressive.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1875 on: October 22, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
I'm just saying is that that crud penalty gave the 49'ers the momentum. They definitely still might have won without it, Eagles did shit the bed later in the game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1876 on: October 22, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »

What's not to like about Arizona?  Good defense, a really good cast of WRs (most of them young and still getting better), a dynamite young RB, and extremely well-coached.  I still have my doubts about Carson Palmer and his tendency to commit turnovers at the wrong time, but they are a very good, well-rounded team, one that could still get better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1877 on: October 22, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »
I'm not saying there is anything NOT to like.  But that isn't the same as ranking them #3. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1878 on: October 22, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
I'm not saying there is anything NOT to like.  But that isn't the same as ranking them #3.
Those reasons and the fact that they've beaten stiff competition are good enough reasons to see them at #3.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1879 on: October 22, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
Interestingly, as sort of an experiment, I asked myself what teams I would rank ahead of them, and took a close look at other teams in most top 10 lists, and I could not come up with compelling reasons to put anyone other than Denver and Dallas ahead of them.  I mean, subjectively, I think there are quite a few teams that are probably better.  But at this point in the season, based on what we have seen so far, I cannot really argue that any other teams HAVE TO be put ahead of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1880 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »
I have to add that I am not picking Arizona to come out of the NFC, or even to play in the NFCCG, but I just think that right now, they have earned a top 3 spot in the power rankings.

Also, apparently some Seahawks do not like Russell Wilson because he is "not black enough":

https://thebiglead.com/2014/10/22/russell-wilson-is-black-enough-seahawks-players-allegedly-say/

Good grief. :\ :\ :\

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1881 on: October 23, 2014, 03:37:25 AM »
Chicago's hockey players should replace the Seahawks.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1882 on: October 23, 2014, 06:12:16 AM »
Also, apparently some Seahawks do not like Russell Wilson because he is "not black enough":

https://thebiglead.com/2014/10/22/russell-wilson-is-black-enough-seahawks-players-allegedly-say/

Good grief. :\ :\ :\

Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
Wow.  What is wrong with people?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1884 on: October 23, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »
This, if accurate, is ridiculously stupid.  Any team in the league (outside of, say, Denver, Dallas, GB, New England, and a handful of others) would love to have Wilson.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1885 on: October 23, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
Wow.  What is wrong with people?!
A lot of things

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: October 23, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
Lots of talk on this on SEA sports radio this morning, and the related Wilson/Harvin schism (you don't get to use the word 'schism' often enough).

Aside from the 'not black enough' issue, there is the one that he is too close to the front office, and isn't chummy enough with the other guys. They talked about how Mike Holmgren, a frequent guest of theirs, said he would tell Steve Young to hang out with his other teammates more, to make them feel like he was one of them. Not start listening to gangsta rap and getting wasted every night, but not staying in the offices late every night pouring over video tape and playbooks. 

When it comes down to the supposed Wilson/Harvin schism, of course you gotta drop Harvin in that situaton. You stand by your QB, especially a young, charasmatic one who just let you to a Super Bowl.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1887 on: October 23, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
This is the same sort of meltdown I was anticipating from SF (although I'm still holding out hope). No idea things were bad in Seattle, although it certainly shows of late. And if Lynch is in the anti-Wilson camp things aren't going to be getting any better. 
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Reality Lays the Pipe on My Autumn
« Reply #1888 on: October 23, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Man, San Diego is SUCH a laughably bad team.  I am surprised their record is what it is. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Reality Lays the Pipe on My Autumn
« Reply #1889 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
Man, San Diego is SUCH a laughably bad team.  I am surprised their record is what it is.

Or how good that Denver team really is.