Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283164 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Kirk Cousins Lays the Pipe on His Career Prospects
« Reply #1575 on: September 26, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »
:iagree:

But it does beg the question... there's a "good" Jay Cutler?

Does      Not     Compute.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1576 on: September 26, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »

But it does beg the question... there's a "good" Jay Cutler?

Well, he has gotten less turnover-happy and less prone to making bad decisions.  It sure helps to have a stud RB, two stud WRs and a really good TE.

I proved that the "first six" argument/comparison held no merit.

Actually, you didn't, but if you want to believe you did, by all means.

As for the bolded text, kindly quote any posts that I made in that nature after Washington's drubbing of Jacksonville, or Cousins' 400+ yard performance @Philly (because I kept it in perspective). But what you will find is me attributing Cousins' first pass going for a TD to a blown coverage. So I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that mess.

Not really.  As much as you want to be right about Cousins, even you aren't crazy enough to get excited about looking good against the Jaguars. That team could make stooges like Jake Locker and Ryan Tannehill look like All-Pros. :lol :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1577 on: September 26, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
Not really.  As much as you want to be right about Cousins, even you aren't crazy enough to get excited about looking good against the Jaguars. That team could make stooges like Jake Locker and Ryan Tannehill look like All-Pros. :lol :lol :lol

And Andrew Luck!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: September 26, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
Actually, you didn't, but if you want to believe you did, by all means.

Actually, I did....but I have no problem agreeing to disagree.

I want to be right about Cousins because he has (seemingly) been a class act since entering the league, which can't be said about Griffin. But even if Cousins were named NFL MVP, you wouldn't see me using the "I told you so" card. Just not my style. I didn't brag when the Ravens won the Super Bowl....again, just not my style.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1579 on: September 26, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
Geez... the two of you.  Accept it... one thinks Captain Kirk is decent; and the other is right.  :jets:

JK.  Bottom line, he has shown that he could be good, but the facts state he has been mediocre at best.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1580 on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
Who is this Chad, and what have you done with him? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. 31 horse race
« Reply #1581 on: September 26, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
Hey guy, don't forget the bangup job he did for the Saints.

I left that out cause he was the head coach; I was focusing on just his ineptitude as a DC.

I was bringin da mirth, playa.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1582 on: September 26, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »
Geez... the two of you.  Accept it... one thinks Captain Kirk is decent; and the other is right.  :jets:

JK.  Bottom line, he has shown that he could be good, but the facts state he has been mediocre at best.

I'd love to be wrong about Cousins, because, like DOC said, he is a very classy guy, and I like seeing guys like that do well.  He's a major contrast to RG3, who's been an attention-seeking diva the past year and change.  I just know what I see, and what I see is Cousins looking like a guy who makes really bad decisions in the pocket.  Considering how good Jay Gruden made Andy Dalton look more often than not in Cincinnati, if Cousins can't do well under him, well, his NFL upside will be severely limited.  Granted, he still only has two starts under his belt this year, but last night was just a major step back for him.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1583 on: September 26, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
Just watched Sean Taylor's 'A Football Life.' Wow was a he a fantastic player. I really think he could have been the greatest safety of all he time. He just had a knack for the big plays. His intensity and love for the game were, seemingly, unmatched by any of his peers.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Steve Smith gets to play the Panthers....this should be good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1585 on: September 28, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
Looks like the man's playing angry.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: September 28, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »
Looks like the man's playing angry.

He probably watched the Utes give up a 21 point lead to WSU in the second half last night. I know I'm pissed.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1587 on: September 28, 2014, 12:21:23 PM »
When doesn't Steve Smith play angry? :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1588 on: September 28, 2014, 12:38:18 PM »
When doesn't Steve Smith play angry? :lol :lol
Yeah, I was definitely thinking that was saying something remarkable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1589 on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
...and that is why I've long held Cutler is in the Packer's top five all time quarterbacks.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1590 on: September 28, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
Refs have made far too many lousy calls today. Probably should be about 20 less points on the board if it was well called.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1591 on: September 28, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
Refs have made far too many lousy calls today. Probably should be about 20 less points on the board if it was well called.
This whole season's been an officiating disaster. They're really starting to make the game awful.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1592 on: September 28, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
Losing to the Bucs?  Unacceptable.

Losing to a team QB'ed by a Glennon?  Fucking unacceptable.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1593 on: September 28, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
I love seeing the 49'ers pull off dunce moves like that   :loser:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:51:52 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1594 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »
What a shitastic defensive holding call that conveniently gives the 49'ers a free first down after being completely shut down.
These defensive holding calls this year have for the most part been completely laughable.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1595 on: September 28, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
Yeah I didn't like the call, but that catch by Stevie Johnson was pretty amazing.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1596 on: September 28, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »
Don't really understand how they can call that penalty on Cary Williams and not call it when Jordan Mathews gets tackled to the ground.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1597 on: September 28, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Lol@Kaepernick, smart dude.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1598 on: September 28, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
Some really shitty coaching in that game on both sides of the ball, but Chip Kelly accepting that penalty was baffling. And on Phili's final drive I don't think there was anybody in North America that didn't see that screen coming. SF was all over it and Foles threw it anyway. Yeesh.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1599 on: September 28, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
Christ, this offensive line and DeMarco Murray are terrifying and they're only going to get better.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1600 on: September 28, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
Christ, this offensive line and DeMarco Murray are terrifying and they're only going to get better.
As someone whose family is comprised of Cowboy fans, while they're not a favorite team anymore, it's always nice to see them playing fantastic.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1601 on: September 28, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
As a Niners fan in Eagles country, there was 1 game this year more important to me than any other, and FUCK YEAH.

Best part is ending that unbeaten streak they had going!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1602 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Yeah Nick.  I was actually a 9ers fan today.  That doesn't happen very often but the Eagles needed to be knocked down a notch.  Worked out good considering the result of the Sunday night game.  However, Pitt screwed me in the survivor.  Oh well, can't win em all.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1603 on: September 28, 2014, 10:42:52 PM »
I stand by my "Mike Tomlin is overrated" statement, especially after today.  Good coach, but not great.

Great defensive effort today by the 49ers, but Kaepernick looks like a trainwreck still.  Harbaugh appears to have lost some faith in him as well.

Speaking of that game, the Eagles suddenly cannot run the ball...at all.

Dallas might actually be the best team in the NFC East.  Their D is not as awful as it was supposed to be, their offensive line looks awesome, DeMarco Murray is running like a beast (yay for that, since he's on two of my fantasy teams :)), and Romo is playing well. 

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1604 on: September 29, 2014, 01:00:59 AM »
Dallas might actually be the best team in the NFC East.  Their D is not as awful as it was supposed to be, their offensive line looks awesome, DeMarco Murray is running like a beast (yay for that, since he's on two of my fantasy teams :)), and Romo is playing well.

Don't forget the Giants, Eli is as streaky as they get and if he keeps playing like last thursday, good things could happen. The only team that seems completely out of the division race is the Redskins, they'd have to do a pretty huge turnaround on defense and get some consistent QB play and I don't see either happening.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1605 on: September 29, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »
EDIT: Made a mistake here. Sorry. Ignore.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1606 on: September 29, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »
I stand by my "Mike Tomlin is overrated" statement, especially after today.  Good coach, but not great.

Great defensive effort today by the 49ers, but Kaepernick looks like a trainwreck still.  Harbaugh appears to have lost some faith in him as well.

Speaking of that game, the Eagles suddenly cannot run the ball...at all.

My man, as a diehard Steelers fan for 34 years I can tell you with certainty that most Steeler fans feel Tomlin is holding them back. Most of the time he has a deer-in-headlights look on the sidelines when things are going bad. 13 penalties yesterday (granted some of those calls were ludicrous) was the latest example of how he cannot get them to play disciplined. The lines dominated Carolina one week ago and then play like swiss cheese the next week. Never any consistency. BB, AB, and Bell play like All-Pros every week while the rest of the team finds a way to implode.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1607 on: September 29, 2014, 10:13:02 AM »
Early in his tenure, I would have chalked Tomlin's mistakes up to this being his first HC gig and he was learning the ropes.  Lots of guys don't figure it out in their first three years, get fired, and come back the second time and succeed (Belechick, Carroll).  It's been eight years now.  By this point you either get it or you don't, and I don't think he does.  There are worse options, and the question I always bring up is "Who is available that is better?"  And as Pittsburgh knows, that answer is Cowher.  He's not the X and O guy like Belechick, but the man has produced results on his own and not on Noll's coattails.  I just don't see Pittsburgh ownership doing something unless things get real bad for an extended period of time.  Tomlin's worst year is still better than Cowher's worst years.

The Eagles played 4 backups on the o-line yesterday IIRC.  Only Atlanta was more beat up, as they had a TE playing RT the entire 4th quarter.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1608 on: September 29, 2014, 10:26:07 AM »

Don't forget the Giants, Eli is as streaky as they get and if he keeps playing like last thursday, good things could happen. The only team that seems completely out of the division race is the Redskins, they'd have to do a pretty huge turnaround on defense and get some consistent QB play and I don't see either happening.

I need to see some consistency out of the Giants, and especially Eli, first before I call them a possible East contender.  But they did look pretty great last Thursday.

My man, as a diehard Steelers fan for 34 years I can tell you with certainty that most Steeler fans feel Tomlin is holding them back. Most of the time he has a deer-in-headlights look on the sidelines when things are going bad. 13 penalties yesterday (granted some of those calls were ludicrous) was the latest example of how he cannot get them to play disciplined. The lines dominated Carolina one week ago and then play like swiss cheese the next week. Never any consistency. BB, AB, and Bell play like All-Pros every week while the rest of the team finds a way to implode.

I kind of wonder if Tomlin is too much of a player's coach.  Take guys like Parcells and Belichick, who are extreme disciplinarians, and are probably not liked very much by most of their players, but they win, because of that discipline; you can almost compare them to a drill sergeant in that regard.  On the flip side, Tomlin is a player's coach, often coming off like another one of the guys, and I suspect that relationship makes it hard for him to really instill major discipline, resulting in games like yesterday where they are penalized like crazy, including several unsportsmanlike penalties for excessive celebration. You almost never see that happen on a player coached by Belichick, Coughlin or Carroll.  I think Carroll is a good embodiment of a coach who is a disciplinarian, while also being a player's coach; time is showing that Tomlin is too much of the latter, I think.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1609 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »
I was thinking about the disciplinarian thing yesterday when they were talking about Jim Harbaugh. Being a hardass is only half the battle and doesn't automatically win you games. The players also have to respect you and believe in what you're doing. It's easy to be a slave to Belichick or Parcells because you know he knows what he's talking about. That doesn't seem to be the case in SF, where we'll see a full blown lockerroom rebellion before the end of the year.
E.F. Benson