Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283153 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. DoC Lays the Pipe on stale themes
« Reply #945 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
There's a fine line between judging too quick vs acting too lenient.

No one in this thread is arguing for leniency.  The different posts in this thread seem to be indicating that McDonald's punishment, if the charges are legitimate, should be severe.

Tell me how society/authorities should react if child pr0n allegations are thrown against an elementary school teacher?  Abuse of power charges against law enforcement?  Should we just wait until there's undeniable proof/evidence.  Sometimes the idiom 'better safe than sorry' should prevail.

I would hope his girlfriend isn't putting herself and her unborn child in further danger by staying with him.  But beyond that, I'm not sure how this thinking applies.  It would make more sense if he assaulted a teammate or a coach.

For as many Duke lacrosse players, there are UC at Berkley female students who got swept under the rug because of their (ultimately proven) allegations.  But, we digress and are approaching P/R level discussion.

I've stated my stance on this MacDonald situation, and I'm taking it to the extreme with the above situations.  Just saying it's not always as black and white as "innocent until proven guilty".

Here's the sports-specific issue:  These players are public figures to at least some degree.  Look at how badly allegations of rape damaged Kobe Bryant or Ben Roethlisberger's reputations.  Look at how badly the NFL's PR was damaged by the Ray Rice wrist slap.  Has Goodell apologized for anything else ever?  Chris Andersen (better known as Birdman) almost fell out of the NBA because of being charged for committing crimes against children that he didn't do.

No one's saying it should be black or white (at least I don't think so).  Even if criminal charges aren't filed against McDonald, the NFL should suspend him if its own investigation finds evidence of wrong doing.  But, while we shouldn't prioritize these guys careers over the damage they've done to their victims, it seems reasonable to make sure that damage actually happened.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #946 on: September 04, 2014, 06:10:57 PM »
Reap, I agree with all of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: September 04, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
If Earl Thomas is going to return punts, he needs to learn how to call for a fair catch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #948 on: September 04, 2014, 07:11:41 PM »
Great job of taking advantage of that turnover by the Packers offense. 

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #949 on: September 04, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
If Earl Thomas is going to return punts, he needs to learn how to call for a fair catch.

I'm still scratching my head at why they are letting this guy return punts  :rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #950 on: September 04, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
Reap, I agree with all of that.

I do too.  I wasn't advocating for punishment for MacDonald already.  I was just saying that there's a fine line between 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'better safe than sorry'.  Errors have been made favoring one side or the other incorrectly - judging someone who was innocent (examples you mentioned) and brushing aside or covering up situations that were not innocent (if you need a sports analogy, let's go with Sandusky).

I have no idea which one MacDonald will ultimately fall in to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #951 on: September 04, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
Yes, but how does "better safe than sorry" even apply in this situation?  As with the other analogy, Sandusky doesn't work.  Yeah, Sundusky being suspended and taken away from the kids would have prevented him from molesting other kids.  But what harm would potentially suspending McDonald have?  I just don't see how the situation is analogous.

And can somebody please break Lynch's legs?  Isn't there a bounty on that guy?  Oh wait, wrong team.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #952 on: September 04, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »
Bosk1, Don't cross The Crooked Eyes...........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »
Yes, but how does "better safe than sorry" even apply in this situation?  As with the other analogy, Sandusky doesn't work.  Yeah, Sundusky being suspended and taken away from the kids would have prevented him from molesting other kids.  But what harm would potentially suspending McDonald have?  I just don't see how the situation is analogous.

And can somebody please break Lynch's legs?  Isn't there a bounty on that guy?  Oh wait, wrong team.

For a third time... I'm not advocating for specific punishment/action to be taken on MacDonald. You're right... his isn't a 'better safe than sorry' scenario.  My comments should be taken completely disassociated from the MacDonald situation.  When Doc opened the discussion to society as a whole, and other specific situations, I simply countered that it's not always black and white, or in the best interest to err on the side of assuming 'innocent until proven guilty'.

I believe we are in violent agreement on our views.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: September 04, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=1

Map of which games are being shown where and who will be calling them. Nice to see that CBS views the Oakland/New York game as their biggest.  :omg:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: September 04, 2014, 08:57:10 PM »
Seattle is making this look easy.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #956 on: September 04, 2014, 09:16:40 PM »
In the teacher/coach molestation scenario, suspending the teacher removes him from a situation where he can do it again.  McDonald isn't going to hit a woman on the field or at practice.  If anything, football keeps him away from the problem situation since he is going to work, then you take care of the rest like putting him up in a hotel until things are settled.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #957 on: September 04, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Seattle is making this look easy.

I picked them to repeat and everything I saw tonight made me think I will be right. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #958 on: September 05, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »
SEA is scary good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: September 05, 2014, 07:06:53 AM »
Damn you Eddie Lacy for getting concussed!  >:(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: September 05, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »

Yeah... how inconsiderate of him :|

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: September 05, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: September 05, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

Yeah... how inconsiderate of him :|

I know hey.  He's in my fantasy team.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #963 on: September 05, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »

I know.  Should have been Marshawn Lynch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: September 05, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »

I know.  Should have been Marshawn Lynch.

Fuckin A.  I'm not versing the guy in my league that has him, but the guy that's got him deserves to lose lol.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #965 on: September 05, 2014, 05:29:05 PM »
Every year Lynch is undervalued, and every year he proves his doubters wrong.  When will people stop making this mistake?
Over and over again

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #966 on: September 05, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »
As a Packers fan, I am sick and tired of Dom Capers and his soft coverages on defense, especially against run the game. For the past three seasons, our defense has gotten progressively worse each year. Last year was one of the worst in franchise history, giving up a record number of yards.  Especially the games we've played against Kaepernick.... he rushed for 200 yards in the playoffs a few seasons ago, and it seems like Capers has not learned from it at all.

It is time for Green Bay to move on and find a guy that can get the defense up to par and doesn’t rely on Rodgers to save the day.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #967 on: September 06, 2014, 02:03:17 AM »
As a Packers fan, I am sick and tired of Dom Capers and his soft coverages on defense, especially against run the game. For the past three seasons, our defense has gotten progressively worse each year. Last year was one of the worst in franchise history, giving up a record number of yards.  Especially the games we've played against Kaepernick.... he rushed for 200 yards in the playoffs a few seasons ago, and it seems like Capers has not learned from it at all.

It is time for Green Bay to move on and find a guy that can get the defense up to par and doesn’t rely on Rodgers to save the day.

Amen brother.

On the second touchdown we didn't even have 11 guys on the field (I've checked the video and there's no one off camera)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #968 on: September 06, 2014, 06:25:27 AM »
I agree about Capers, but at what point is Mike McCarthy also culpable?  I know he was the coach of the team that won it following the 2010 season, but he's never struck me as anything more than a solid head coach.  Aaron Rodgers makes him look awfully good, similar to how Peyton Manning can make just about any head coach look good as well.  Look at how the Packers fell apart last year when they didn't have Rodgers.  Where was Mike McCarthy's great coaching then? 

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #969 on: September 06, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »
Yeah I was just discussing that in another forum... his playcalling has become terribly predictable, when was the last time MM did anything innovative or out of the box? Like you said, having Rodgers and playing in a relatively weak division has kept the coaches safe and weaknesses haven't been adressed (front 7, defensive scheme, offensive playcalling). We'll have to wait and see how this season goes but it's clear this team needs a change.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: September 06, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »
Going to the game tomorrow. Got to love season openers!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #971 on: September 07, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
The first Sunday of football is here! Let's do this. :metal :metal

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #972 on: September 07, 2014, 09:45:54 AM »
E! A! G! L! E! S!

EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!
Over and over again

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #973 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
Bills offense looked pretty good on that TD drive just now  :laugh:
EDIT: Defense just looked fantastic as well :zydar:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:31:31 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: September 07, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
This is the first Sunday in years that I won't be able to:
  • Sit at home all day watching football
  • Watch NFL Redzone
  • Eat myself into a food coma watching football
What a weird day...
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #975 on: September 07, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »
GRONK SPIKE!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #976 on: September 07, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS

EDIT: EJ has a clear run for a first down, only needs to go two yards, throws it to somebody heavily covered and throws an interception instead. God damn it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:56:00 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #977 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
EJ isn't that good. Kyle Orton may have his job by midseason by my own estimation.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #978 on: September 07, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #979 on: September 07, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
Patriots seem to have forgotten how to tackle during the offseason.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson