Author Topic: The JUDAS PRIEST top 50 thread (passing it over to Wolfking)  (Read 25150 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: The JUDAS PRIEST top 50 thread (passing it over to Wolfking)
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »
This version shits all over the re-recorded version by Halford on Live Insurrection.

Agreed. Where the fuck is the chorus on the re-recorded version?! They took out the best hooks and everything. This track could've been amazing with the modern recording quality but they blew it. The original still reigns.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
This version shits all over the re-recorded version by Halford on Live Insurrection.

Agreed. Where the fuck is the chorus on the re-recorded version?! They took out the best hooks and everything. This track could've been amazing with the modern recording quality but they blew it. The original still reigns.

Yep, and the total disregard for the entire solo section IMO is just absurd.  You are quite correct, it had potential to be one of Halford's best songs but, they fucked it.  I listend to it again the other day to see if I missed something but the whole time I just wanted to put the original on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »
It's sad because every other Priest cover or reinterpretation sounds great. Can't wait for more Halford runs after this final Priest tour! I have no issue cutting huge stadium shows out of my yearly budget :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
It's sad because every other Priest cover or reinterpretation sounds great. Can't wait for more Halford runs after this final Priest tour! I have no issue cutting huge stadium shows out of my yearly budget :biggrin:

I'm actually looking forward to some more Halford material myself.  I haven't listened to Made of Metal but I guess Priest has been getting a little stale.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2010, 04:01:50 AM »
The new record is ok. The only tune that really made me feel like they were stepping in the right direction was The Mower, which they released as the single well in advance of the record. I was anticipating more stuff like that and instead we got some clunkers. The title cut is easily the worst song Halford has ever written :lol
That being said, the fist two records are classics in my book, and the live album is one of the ten best metal live collections ever. And seeing them unleash it live has always been a dream. I missed my one chance on their Ozzfest date during the summer. But I couldn't spend the money or sit through so many shitty bands to see a one hour set. It ended up being the hottest day of the year in New England, so I'm not too upset for missing it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2010, 04:10:34 AM »
Resurrection and Crucible are easily two of the best metal albums in the last ten years.  I have been spinning Insurrection in my car at the moment and it really is an amazing live record.  Sad Wings is easily one of Halford's best songs and the way he performs it on that is crushing.

The new CD/DVD is quite good too, great setlist with a very solid performance from the lads.

More list coming tomorrow.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »
Resurrection and Crucible are easily two of the best metal albums in the last ten years.  I have been spinning Insurrection in my car at the moment and it really is an amazing live record.  Sad Wings is easily one of Halford's best songs and the way he performs it on that is crushing.

The new CD/DVD is quite good too, great setlist with a very solid performance from the lads.

"Tomorrow" meaning "in a week"?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »

Why haven't we seen you in the Judas Priest survivor?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »

Why haven't we seen you in the Judas Priest survivor?

I always vote, I just don't usually respond.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2010, 03:39:33 AM »
Sorry for the delay, work has been kicking my ass;

29. Metal Meltdown - Painkiller

It's astounding how accurate the title of this song is regarding its content, pounding heavy metal all the way through.  Gotta love the boys intro solos, they really know how to shred.  Once Glenn has stopped and that riff comes in, you know we are in for some crushing heavy metal.  My fav part of the song I'd say is the pre chorus, what an amazing buildup and when Rob sings "I want to explode," his vocals are so damn good, his voice just pierces through.  Amazing trade off from Glenn and Ken here as always, my fav part is KK's second solo (third solo section)  his guitar just fucking cries.  Great crescendo at the end which ends the song perfectly.

28. Rapid Fire - British Steel

Not much to say here, simply a crushing heavy metal song, which I believe really paved the way for thrash and speed metal.  Great opener to the album and really, the intensity of the song never gives up.  It grabs you by the balls and never lets go.  Great solos as usual and Rob on fire as always.

27. Reckless - Turbo

Best song on Turbo and easily one of Priests most underrated songs.  Quite AOR in nature which I like a lot.  Simply an excellent, catchy chorus, and the pre-chorus before hand works well too.  Glenn's solo is a fav of mine too, so simple, melodic and just really well phrased with a nice balance of speedy runs and melodic sections.  Great song, needs more attention.

26. Freewheel Burning - Defenders of the Faith

I think the first time I heard this song was when I was watching the video. Luckily the hilarious video didn't taint the song.  Reminds me of Rapid Fire with more intensity.  Amazing song, great chorus and I love Rob's fast vocal work in the bridge, the 'with victory' part is amazing.  Glenn on fire once again, and the section at 2:33 is a Priest highlight.

25. Leather Rebel - Painkiller

I remember the first time I heard Painkiller.  My guitar teacher gave me a taped version on cassette.  With no knowledge on them at all, I always thought there were two vocalists, especially in this song, I thought the backing was at least done by another member or something.  Rob's vocals are so diverse, his changing backwards and forwards between vocal styles on this song amazes me.  Cracking song, great riffs, classic.  Cheesy lyrics but I love them so much!!  nice original solo section with KK doing his thing, and really one of the best chorus' on the album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:57 AM »
I would also like to add that Zydar is taking over the Priest survivor in the polls section, so everyone get over there and join in!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:47:06 AM by wolfking »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2010, 06:01:18 AM »
These are all pretty cool.  :) Although I never really liked Metal meltdown, it's too cliche even for my taste.  ;D

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2010, 06:41:59 AM »
Yes! Speed metal Priest is representin'.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:59 AM »
"I want to explode"

I'm pretty sure its "about to explode".

But good choices!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
These are all pretty cool.  :) Although I never really liked Metal meltdown, it's too cliche even for my taste.  ;D

I think that's another reason why I love it, it's generic cliche heavy metal but it's amazing.

Also, speaking of cliche, Heavy Metal from Ram it Down just missed out on getting in the top 50.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »
Yes! Speed metal Priest is representin'.

Yeah, I guess 4 out of 5 of those are some of Priests fastest numbers.  :metal

"I want to explode"

I'm pretty sure its "about to explode".

But good choices!

Probably, I never listen to lyrics that carefully.  Anyway, Rob could sing anything in that part and it would sound killer!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2011, 04:28:52 AM »
24. Judas Rising - Angel of Retribution

Continuing my list we are now half way through.  I'll try and finish this off quickly, I know I've been slack.  Here we have another Angel of Retribution track, the wicked opener, Judas Rising.  I simply love the rhythm of this track, to me, it's very original and amazing!!  Fist pumping metal which just pounds your skull in.  Rob' vocal layering here is excellent also.  KK shines on this one, his pure metal/blues lead expression shines through on the solo section.  I love Glenn's phrygian dominant style section before it which is such a contrast to KK's pentatonic style extreme blues soloing.  I love it, killer track.

23. Hard as Iron - Ram it Down

Here's one right out of left field, the wonderful Hard as Iron.  To me, this is one of the first true power metal choruses ever conceived, it boombastic, cheesy and simply fantastic, I'm sure bands like Rhapsody of Fire, Hammerfall and Vision Divine would have loved this one.  Cracking verse, epic cliche lyrics, and a simply smashing solo section.  Great trade offs and an excellent twin harmony.  Killer track, extremely underrated.  I would have loved to hear Scott Travis on this whole album instead of the drum machine, it would have made it so much more powerful.

22. Some Heads are Gonna Roll - Defenders of the Faith

Yet another track from the Defenders album, the groovy Heads are Gonna Roll.  Not much to say here, I just love the groove the guys got going on this one.  Cool verse, great buildup in the pre chorus and cool chorus.  Amazing solos from Glen and Ken on this one too.  That's about it, it's catchy and just rocks, definitely one of my favs.

21. One on One - Demolition

Here's the only other song on my list from Demolition, One on One.  It's interesting the direction the band went on this one, they went more modern, even trying nu-metal, but on this one it just seemed to click for me.  Simply an amazing riff on this one, so damn simple, but it rocks so much!  When I saw the guys perform this live, it was sensational.  I like the tone Glen and Ken have on this one also.  Ripper does his tough guy vocals relatively well, he sounds convincing.  Simply one of Priests most rocking choruses!

20. Burn in Hell - Jugulator

As Myke said, simply one of the best buildups in any song ever.  The first time I heard this song, that first couple of minutes actually made me a little unsettled.  Then when Tim screams 'Burn in HELL' and the band come in with THAT amazing riff, I just went 'Oh my God!!'  What a riff. if there's one thing the guys did especially well in the Ripper era, it was write some of the most amazing riffs ever, and this is no exception.  Classy leads by Glen too, subtle but compliments and fits the song nicely.  Amazing tune.  I like the lyrics too, it's cheesy and over the top but I love the in your face brutality of them.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2011, 04:30:43 AM »
Some Heads are Gonna Roll is one of my favorites as well.  :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »
 :metal

I have recently started to enjoy Defenders more, spinning it a bit more, such a short album in playing time
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »
Defenders is Superior to Vengeance. I'm that weirdo.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »
Interesting choices there. I'm only familiar with Judas Rising and Some Heads Are Gonna Roll. I've barely listened to the two Owens albums they did, and Ram It Down. I'll give them a couple of listens when my JP survivor gets to those albums.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
Don't come back to this thread till you've heard Jugulator. That is all.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
Some Heads are Gonna Roll is one of my favorites as well.  :metal

I have recently started to enjoy Defenders more, spinning it a bit more, such a short album in playing time

Yep, amazing album.

Defenders is Superior to Vengeance. I'm that weirdo.

Dude, Defenders is soooo much better than Vengeance it's not funny.  Not even a competition in my eyes.

Interesting choices there. I'm only familiar with Judas Rising and Some Heads Are Gonna Roll. I've barely listened to the two Owens albums they did, and Ram It Down. I'll give them a couple of listens when my JP survivor gets to those albums.

You should do something about that my friend.  Ram it Down takes some getting use to, but it really is an underrated classic.  Demolition is easily one of Priest's weakest, but it's still a very worthy listen.  Jugulator is Priest at their best IMO, my fav album, it's magic!

Don't come back to this thread till you've heard Jugulator. That is all.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
Glad to have this thread going.  Priest is my favorite band with Maiden, Dio, Rush, DT, Queensryche following behind.  The top 50 lists that were made were well done and enjoyable to read.  But to me, Priest is the epitome of metal- every album is great.  "Painkiller" just smokes, but I still equally love "Turbo" and "Ram it down" etc.  And as far as I'm concerned, Ripper Owens is extremely underrated.  "98 live meltdown" just might be my favorite live cd of all time.  The first time I heard the cd, I was blown away.  Owens along with Halford and Dio are my all time favorite singers.  I always wished Priest would have used both Halford and Owens together on "Nostradamus".  It's not like they parted on bad terms; I think a combination of them singing seperately and on duets would have made the cd that much better.  But Ripper has done well on his own and I'm hoping he will be picked to sing in Sabbath.  As far as Halford's solo stuff, I agree with most- Resurrection and Crucible were simply amazing; mindboggling actually.  However, "Made of Metal" is good, but not remotely in the same league of the aformentioned cd's.  I haven't heard if Priest will release anything new to coincide with the farewell tour, but would be hopeful for something.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
Welcome!!  Be sure to come over to the polls section and join into the Priest survivor.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2011, 04:28:09 AM »
19. Jawbreaker - Defenders of the Faith

Yet another song from the amazing defenders album.  Just a rocking song which oozes sexual innuendo.  Not much to say here, just a great tune that Halford has kept in his solo set list for quite some time now.  Great chorus and one of KK's shining moments, whammy bar heaven here with a good mix of melodic runs, great stuff.

18. All Guns Blazing - Painkiller

What a ripping song.  Perfect heavy metal all the way through.  I love the chug and groove of this one and the contrast between the chugs and then the chord release on the chorus.  It's easy to see that getting Scott Travis was one of the best moves this band ever made.  Glenn is simply all over this one.  Great arpeggios, diminished runs, great whammy bar work and simply amazing stretches and runs.  I also love at how similar the rhythm guitar is in this one to Painkiller.  Here's a shameless plug, this is me with a guitar cover of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTGzqeFrrY

17. Night Crawler - Painkiller

Another cut from Painkiller.  Great atmosphere on this one, and I love Rob's vocals.  Gotta love KK's unison bends on the intro, sets the scene perfectly.  The chours on this is simply amazing, Rob kills it.  The rhythm backing Rob on the chorus is simply stunning, a great chug and groove and just flows along so damn well.  The way Rob sings "Don't look behind you nightcrawler" is just amazing to me.  I would also like to add the excellent harmonies on the interlude, interesting note selections between Ken and Glenn, works well but quite unorthodox.  Great buildup in the middle too, very evil!!  Killer song.

16. Victim of Changes - Sad Wings of Destiny

Priest classic, that's it really.  Love the intro the boys do live on this.  Just a crushing riff on this, especially for the time it came out.  It has a Sabbath like quality but also has the classic rock style in there aswell.  Not a bad story here also, which is quite a regular situation where most of us can relate to at some point.  Love Kk's improv on this too and Glenns solo is tasty also.  Just a great song, nice quite section and an epic ending.

15. Between the Hammer and the Anvil - Painkiller

Yep, another Painkiller song.  One of my favs on this record and I think it really was one of the most underrated songs on that album.  The intro is perfect heavy metal and when that melodic riff chugging comes in is awesome.  KK's dive bomb with Rob's wail is just sublime.  Amazing groove here and an interesting chorus.  Gotta love those rolling harmonics in the first verse.  Great solo section, KK really shines on his solo and Glenn's tapping here is incredible, very technical, odd notes but fits over the chords so damn well.  Rob seals the deal at the end too.  By far one of Priest's best.

14. Here Come the Tears - Sin After Sin

By far one of Priests most underrated tunes.  I love this song.  The moody Sabbath like atmosphere and Rob just shines on this song.  Really deep, depressing lyrics too.  It kicks in another notch and the drums enter with more depressing lyrics.  The chorus here just explodes and gives me chills.  Rob is portraying the pain of the protagonist perfectly, "Won't somebody love me!!!!"  Epic.  Glenn then performs one of my favourite Priest solos.  Amazing bends in this which gives you a perfect 'crying' like feel.  Rob comes over the top and the song just beings to rise.  Glenns odd notes and those runs he does before the final crescendo I still can't figure out what he is doing, it's just brilliant.  Glenn and Rob sing together and then bam!! Perfect song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2011, 05:18:46 AM »
I've never been a fan of Here come the tears, but the others are fantastic.  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »
Fantastic batch! Especially the Painkiller tracks (I love Night Crawler and All Guns Blazing).

Jawbreaker and Victim Of Changes are classics as well. Here Come The Tears isn't any of my most listened to Priest songs, but I'll give it another spin.

:metal :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2011, 09:23:59 AM »
Fantastic batch! Especially the Painkiller tracks (I love Night Crawler and All Guns Blazing).

Jawbreaker and Victim Of Changes are classics as well. Here Come The Tears isn't any of my most listened to Priest songs, but I'll give it another spin.

:metal :metal

Here comes the tears is really an amazing song...Sin after Sin is the BALLZ
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »
Here Come The Tears is an awesome song and a shame it doesn't get alot of recognition. Great choice.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »
Here Come the Tears is an amazing track.  The one-two punch on Sin after Sin of Here Come the Tears and Dissident Aggressor is off the charts awesome.  Here Come the Tears, Dreamer Deceiver, Before the Dawn and Night Comes Down are my favorite power ballads from Priest and possibly period.  Would have loved to hear Ripper's take on these tunes live.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
Great to see some appriciation for Here Comes the Tears.  I love it, such a great tune. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
For Wolfking

a great 9:38 of complete awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqb_3fR6Ok&feature=related

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »
For Wolfking

Hell yeah!!  An amazing DVD.  Haven't watched that for a while.  I should do something about that.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
For Wolfking

Hell yeah!!  An amazing DVD.  Haven't watched that for a while.  I should do something about that.

I used to have that show cassette , that I recorded off the radio.. I saw them a few times on that tour..