Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 306940 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »
The meat of the album has some really good rockers (that weren't hits) like Dirty Dog and Firefly, as well as killer stuff like Silence Is Broken and Someone to Believe. 

Anyway, back to the 80s...

Prince and the Revolution - When Doves Cry

Say what you want about Prince, but Purple Rain is a terrific record, and When Doves Cry, the biggest hit from it, is a killer tune.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
You know, it wasn't till later that I found out what a killer guitar player Prince is.  He can sure write a catchy tune and this is a big one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
Song was on the radio at work today. Don't get what all  the fuss is about with Prince at all. Purple Rain (song) is good, and a couple of others but that's it. What's the point of being a great guitarist if you don't show people what you can do?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
What's the point of being a great guitarist if you don't show people what you can do?

Because not every player cares about showing off all of the time.

Besides, I am friends with a couple who went and saw him years ago, and the husband (who wasn't much of a fan) came away shocked at what a great guitarist Prince was, so I am guessing he shows it more live than he does in the studio.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
What's the point of being a great guitarist if you don't show people what you can do?

Because not every player cares about showing off all of the time.

Besides, I am friends with a couple who went and saw him years ago, and the husband (who wasn't much of a fan) came away shocked at what a great guitarist Prince was, so I am guessing he shows it more live than he does in the studio.

That's fair enough but has he shown it ever though? I know other guitarists have jammed with him ( a certain Mr Vai for example) and said how awesome he is. I haven't heard a single thing to suggest he's anything more than an average guitarist. I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone knows any examples.

edit. ok I YT'd Prince and there are examples of some good playing there. Does he ever play like that on album?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:24:14 PM by Lowdz »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
This work, and 1999 before it, were breakthroughs for me, in opening my eyes to look at genres past rock and metal.  I loved a lot of his stuff, but this song especially was dear to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
Purple Rain is a top album for me.  WDC got way too overplayed on MTV/Much Music (our version of MTV).  Now that I don't hear it that often, it is a wonderful/brilliant song.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
There's nothing about Prince that I like. There's few artists that I cannot stand less. Just sayin' :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
Madonna - Material Girl

There were a dozen Madonna songs I could have picked, but I went with this one, a) because it is a good song, b) the name of the song became one of her media nicknames, and c) the video is the best she has ever looked, IMO.  I was never someone who thought Madonna was that attractive, but she looked stunning in this video.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
When Doves Cry - Prince IS criminally underrated as a guitarist.  The Purple Rain album is excellent from beginning to end.  When Doves Cry may have been played into the ground, but there's a uniqueness to its sound that always grabs me.  As far as his guitar playing, here's his solo on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the 2--4 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lZ1Mu78VFM#t=3m26s

Material Girl - Yep.  Probably her best looking video.  The whole "Like a Virgin" era was her hottest.  I never cared a ton for her music, but I always liked "La Isla Bonita".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
As talented as Madonna is, I've never liked that style of music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

The theme song of Rocky III, this was one of my first favorite songs when I was 9, but it hasn't aged that well for me.  It is on my 80s playlist and my 80s CD in my car, but I will almost always skip over it if it comes on when doing random play.  Not sure why.  But I loved it as a kid.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »
Despite being used to death over the years to the point of being beyond cliche, I still love the song. Instantly recognizable from the first note.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
What blob said.  Great song, but beaten to death.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
What lonestar said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
Okay, then.

ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin'

I gotta admit that, at 10, this video was one of the coolest things ever: the ZZ Top Eliminator Car, the keychain and the pretty girls, all of whom were pretty back in the later Eliminator videos like Legs and Sharp Dressed Man.  Plus, this is just a good, rocking song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
Wait...that was the video with the car, right?

:sharpdressedman:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
Love Eye of The Tiger.  Big Survivor fan.  Love Premonition and Vital Signs.

ZZ Top.  The Songs good but I never owned a ZZ Top album.  The shock!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
Ahhh, ZZ Top, the ideal pimp lifestyle of every young male in the early eighties. :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
Ahhh, ZZ Top, the ideal pimp lifestyle of every young male who thought dressing like Don Johnson was cool in the early eighties. :hat

Fixed.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
I only have ZZ Top's greatest hits ... that's enough of the trio for me.  Gimmee All Your Lovin (and the other hits from Eliminator) produced some quality videos - at a time when videos was THE thing to be doing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »
Anybody here prefer old-school ZZ Top?  I grew up on the bluesy stuff like "La Grange" and "Tush".  And some of their album tracks from back then were fun and downright hilarious.  Songs like "She Loves My Automobile" and "Arrested for Driving While Blind" are great fun.  Bluesy, dirty, funny, and best of all, they don't all sound the same.  I do like the synthy ZZ Top sound of the 80's (Eliminator era) but those songs are all pretty interchangeable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
Yeah, 70s ZZ Top is definitely their best stuff.  Classics like Tush, La Grange, Just Got Paid, Waitin' for the Bus etc. are all great.  And of course my favorite, Cheap Sunglasses.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
80s ZZ Top made for memorable music videos, but the songs were quite interchangeable. But yeah, they got a LOT of teenaged guys to stop and watch the TV for a while. Older ZZ Top is much better.

My funny ZZ Top story: I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it took me AGES to realize what the song Pearl Necklace was about. Realizing what it was about sitting next to my senior year in high school crush, who could wear a sweater like WHOA, certainly didn't help matters much.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »

My funny ZZ Top story: I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it took me AGES to realize what the song Pearl Necklace was about. Realizing what it was about sitting next to my senior year in high school crush, who could wear a sweater like WHOA, certainly didn't help matters much.  :lol

:lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Icehouse - Crazy

I think this is one of those cool forgotten 80s songs.  I don't really remember the video, but I am pretty sure there was one. :lol  But I like the song, and it was one I didn't add to my massive 80s iTunes playlist until last year because I had forgotten about it.  But I am glad I eventually remembered it, as it is a good, solid tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Well, since no one probably remembers that song :lol...

ABC - The Look of Love, Part 1

Great pop song, and one that sounds very British, if that makes sense.  Definitely a favorite of mine back in 1982, and one I still enjoy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
ABC had some serious fashion sense.  I liked that when other bands were going with outrageous makeup and flaming sets and other useless stuff, ABC just put on some nice suits.  Their videos did get pretty crazy sometimes, but the band looked cool.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »
Awww, ABC, made me dig up this one....
When Smokey Sings

Such a catchy, infectious tune, gotta run and play some thrash to get it out of my head. (just kidding, I kinda love this nostalgic pop crap, makes me feel young)

EDIT: That just sent me on a quick journey down memory lane, Missing Persons-Destination Unknown and 'Til Tuesday- Voices Carry ( :heart Aimee Mann)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2012, 03:19:34 PM »
Icehouse - Crazy

I think this is one of those cool forgotten 80s songs.  I don't really remember the video, but I am pretty sure there was one. :lol  But I like the song, and it was one I didn't add to my massive 80s iTunes playlist until last year because I had forgotten about it.  But I am glad I eventually remembered it, as it is a good, solid tune.

You know, I never ever bought anything from Icehouse but I do love this song.  Very catch chorus.  I always wanted to try something from them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
I cannot for the life of me remember this song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
I wasn't even close to metal or Rock TAC.  I don't think you'd like it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMaptbNMRw

Edit:  Thanks Kev.  I just watched Electric Blue also.  It's been 20 years since I heard that song.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:43:51 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
 :lol
God, that's awful! I seriously do NOT remember that song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »
I knew you wouldn't like it. :lol  I know your tastes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Yup, put me in the "no fucking idea" category.