Author Topic: For how much longer will LaBrie be able to hit the F#?  (Read 11433 times)

Offline scoutmasterdave

Re: For how much longer will LaBrie be able to hit the F#?
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
That's amazing, I didn't know they had much of a following over in the States. I got to see them at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago, they were fantastic. I think they released a live album of that show actually.

They didn't sell out the 1500-seat Ikeda Theater, but it was damn close.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
the f# sounds terrible anyway.
A note sounds terrible?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
Could he ever really hit it?  Consistently?  When he sings in his range he has an ok voice but, unfortunately, a lot of their songs stretch him way past his capabilities and he has to scream - very cringe-inducing.  I won't buy live albums anymore because he really needs studio help to sound good.  I think, for the most part, if he sounds good on a live recording it's because his voice was 'fixed' in the studio prior to release. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
Could he ever really hit it?  Consistently?  When he sings in his range he has an ok voice but, unfortunately, a lot of their songs stretch him way past his capabilities and he has to scream - very cringe-inducing.  I won't buy live albums anymore because he really needs studio help to sound good.  I think, for the most part, if he sounds good on a live recording it's because his voice was 'fixed' in the studio prior to release. 

Just click on Cyberdrummers link, he hits it fine there. How can you avoid listening to him live and then say he can't do it live?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
How high did he go on Take Your Fingers From My Hair? Was that higher than an F#?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

Yes, he could and can hit it consistently.  If he sounds good on a live recording, it's because he sang good that night. 

Sheesh.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
I believe a lot of LaBrie's problems are partly the faullt of DT.  I think they are an extremely loud band and he struggles to keep up with them (or, used to) and I think that they make him sing parts in the studio that they know he won't always be able to reproduce perfectly live.  The part in Voices that they have removed from live shows ("Sex is Death") and the Take the Time part are great examples. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
A lot of bands do things in the studio that they know full well cannot be duplicated live.  I think with TTT, as with the increcibly awkward phrasing in OAMOT, it was just immature songwriting and not really thinking about whether or not it could be duplicated live.  But for the life of me, I still can't figure out what the issue is with Voices.  That song is WAY easier than a lot of stuff James pulls off just fine in a live setting. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
I've seen Voices both times and each time I actually didn't realize they cut out the 2nd verse. The song is honestly just as good without it.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
bosk, that part in Voices seems like it would be really tiring on someone's voice.  It doesn't sound like a natural way to sing, but rather like it needs to be forced.  It sounds, to me, like it was physically difficult (as in, it HURT him) to sing that part.  What do you think?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
bosk, that part in Voices seems like it would be really tiring on someone's voice.  It doesn't sound like a natural way to sing, but rather like it needs to be forced.  It sounds, to me, like it was physically difficult (as in, it HURT him) to sing that part.  What do you think?
Yeah thats what I was thinking. He does put a lot of power into it. Maybe they figured it wouldn't be the same without that kind of power and thought it'd be best to leave it out?

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
The thing about the screaming tone of the F# is really what makes it so impressive. Even I can hit that note falsetto, what makes it amazing is to channel enough air to sing it full blast and still sustain the note. In full voice on a very very very good day, I can hit a B4, which is pretty good. If you count the keys on a piano, the F# is 7 piano keys about a B4, which may not sound like a lot but in the vocal world that is insane.

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLXwPVqZKjY

Damn, that's cool.

The thing about the screaming tone of the F# is really what makes it so impressive. Even I can hit that note falsetto, what makes it amazing is to channel enough air to sing it full blast and still sustain the note. In full voice on a very very very good day, I can hit a B4, which is pretty good. If you count the keys on a piano, the F# is 7 piano keys about a B4, which may not sound like a lot but in the vocal world that is insane.

Agreed.  It's pretty insane.  I'm not sure I've ever even heard another male of our species sing an F#5 full voice.  As I mentioned before, countertenors do it in falsetto all the time, but full voice is an entirely different story.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
i have to say i've seen DT on every tour since 1997 and the last 4 times i saw him he was on point. PN09 (x2), Worcester, and MSG. He seems to have really worked hard and gotten better than in 07. They played the Mirror and lie at the Worcester show and it was sick live!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
I hope they keep the missing Take the Time verse out.  That part is ridiculous to begin with.  It seems like one of those parts that was made up by instrumentalists rather than singers, if you know what I mean.  It just doesn't flow at all.  I never really cared for it and I think LaBrie sings it like crap, although I don't think it's his fault. 

As for hitting high notes at his age, opera singers still hit high notes well into their 60's and 70's because they are trained and know how to take care of their voices.  LaBrie seems to understand this, judging by his interviews. 

You mean the best part of the song?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
I can't even do falsetto. It's pretty sad.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
James has a strongly developed head voice, but that doesn't change the fact that most novice vocalists have an understanding of switching from one register to the next. Smoothing out the transitions takes some time, but its a pretty easy concept for anyone who, say, impersonates cartoon character voices. The F# being a difficult note to hit is strange to me because I've been using upper register singing for a little over 5 years now and can hit an A#5 fairly comfortably...and I'm a baritone when speaking.

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »
James has a strongly developed head voice, but that doesn't change the fact that most novice vocalists have an understanding of switching from one register to the next. Smoothing out the transitions takes some time, but its a pretty easy concept for anyone who, say, impersonates cartoon character voices. The F# being a difficult note to hit is strange to me because I've been using upper register singing for a little over 5 years now and can hit an A#5 fairly comfortably...and I'm a baritone when speaking.

That's your falsetto.  James' F#5 is his head voice - very different.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »
I don't sing in falsetto. I use all head voice ;)

Offline simba

• How you do
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
the few times ive heard it mentioned in DVD commentaries it has sounded attrocious. im not even 100% positive what song its in, although i think its under a glass moon and learning to live. nonetheless i dont go hunting dream theaters catalogue for an F#.

its kinda like john petruccis shred solos. we get it he can play fast, but if theres nothing to hold on to, i could care less. whereas his beautiful solos catch me immediately, having nothing to do with the fact that he is a guitar god, just coz theyre good solos. if labrie sings something nice, i catch it, if he sings an F# and all the fanboys say its good coz its rare in male singers, doesnt change the fact that it sounds poo.
But I don't wanna be a pirate

Offline simba

• How you do
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »
not to mention as soon as he starts going high in any shape or form, all diction is lost.

(which may be a good thing, coz he may very well be singing about dragons and vampires :metal)
But I don't wanna be a pirate

Offline Ħ

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 12:27:08 AM »
LaBrie is getting it back...I say he'll be able to keep it up until DT splits (which is hopefully not going to be anytime soon).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 01:30:53 AM »
I, for one, think that high notes sound amazing. There's so much power and epicness. I understand they aren't for everybody. After all, I'm a trumpet player.   :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:25 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qd250N-oBc&feature=related

This is probably one of the most recent F# videos, and James kicks some serious ass here. I think he'll be able to keep up with the good work for at least 5 more years - at least I seriously hope so, he sounded incredible on Black clouds tour.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2011, 02:10:47 AM »
Wow, that's an incredible video. Really nailed it.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »

I spent the last ~40 mins looking for the one picture where the guy is smiling and then smiling and throws his computer in the second panel but I failed.

FTFY

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
How high did he go on Take Your Fingers From My Hair? Was that higher than an F#?

No that sounded around a C5 (Same as "I think it's time for a chaaaaaaaaaaange" note or was that a C#5...my memory is going already, Im only 19  :()  I think the "Starshine, moonshine, you're the light that shines upon me baby" bit you talking about?? I think it's around there, haven't listened to it for a while.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »

I spent the last ~40 mins looking for the one picture where the guy is smiling and then smiling and throws his computer in the second panel but I failed.

FTFY
Hey, that's my progarchives sig. ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
He can sing it pretty consistently and well, but I never understood people's obsession with that note. If anything, it kinda dates that section of the song.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
He can sing it pretty consistently and well, but I never understood people's obsession with that note. If anything, it kinda dates that section of the song.

rumborak

Because the F# is a moment.  Especially live I'm sure people freak out knowing that it's gonna happen.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline j

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »

rumborak

Because the F# is a moment.  Especially live I'm sure people freak out knowing that it's gonna happen.

Yeah, you're probably right, but I'm with rumbo.  The guitar solo and ensuing instrumental stuff that follows is way more noteworthy than the F#.  Not that I doubt its difficulty or the skill required to nail it, it just doesn't do much for me beyond that.

-J

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:54 PM »

rumborak

In my personal opinion, the F# moment is the ultimate prog snob moment. "OMG, the singer of the band I love is able to hit the note most singers can't. Clearly this is an objective indicator that my favorite band is superior to the others."

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »
In my personal opinion, the F# moment is the ultimate prog snob moment. "OMG, the singer of the band I love is able to hit the note most singers can't. Clearly this is an objective indicator that my favorite band is superior to the others."

I don't really agree with that. At least for me, of course I find it impressive, but I don't think less of other bands because their singer doesn't hit F#5's. It's a great and powerful thing that James LaBrie does, and that's all. It's not comparative of other bands...just a great thing.

I agree with this:

But also, to each his own.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2011, 07:08:08 AM »

rumborak

I'm not speaking for the rest of the board, but I don't feel quite that way.  Yeah it's technically impressive.  But for me it's more about the emotion and the place in the song.  You have this instrumental build up that gets more intense.  And then it moves toward something big to cap off the section, and then JLB comes out of the instruments and makes it really soar, which transitions perfectly into the epic guitar solo.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again