Author Topic: Songs you didn't like much until seeing/hearing a live version  (Read 1729 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
In other words, do not include songs where the first time you heard them was the live version.

I am talking songs that you already knew and weren't that crazy about until you heard or saw a live version that made you really like it. 

My picks:

Muse - Guiding Light  It's still not even close to one of my favorite Muse songs, but I like it quite a bit now thanks to the Rome DVD.
Dream Theater - The Mirror/Lie Aside from The Mirror's intro (which I already knew from the Tokyo live video), I wasn't wild about either of these songs at first - believe it or not, they were still what I deemed "too heavy" for my tastes in late 1994 - but after seeing them live on the Awake tour, where they slayed, my tune quickly changed.
U2 - Lemon In the studio, it is kind of plodding and a but uninspired, but their shorter/more condensed and inspired version on the ZOO TV really made me love this song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Songs you didn't like much until seeing/hearing a live version
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:54:11 AM »
Not to go all 80's metal, but in 1987 I went to the Grim Reaper/Armored Saint/Helloween tour.
Now Armored Saint was a band from the early 80's that I just did not get. But going to the show exclusively to see Helloween, we stayed for "a song or two" of Armored Saint, and proceeded to be blown away.
A band whose albums that do not even begin to convey the energy this band has. Been a Top 10 band for me ever since.

Oh, but a song that would apply here is I Walk Beside You. Saw it in '06 in Boston and the crowd was so into it, as was JLB.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:12:51 AM »
Sleep Together was always my least favorite song on FOABP until SW absolutely killed it live.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »
Sleep Together was always my least favorite song on FOABP until SW absolutely killed it live.

Good call- this is so very true... And a recent one for me too.

Also, Our Fortress is Burning (Agalloch), Dark Eternal Night (DT), and The Trooper (Iron Maiden).
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »
Dream Theater - Innocence Faded - It was always a song I skipped over, but I love it now.
Area 11 - The Strays - I know very few people here will like Area 11, but the saxophone section at the start was quite off-putting for me. I saw it live, and loved it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:47:14 AM »
I thought so little of the album version of Index that I didn't recognize it live.  The live version slays the album version to death.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
Battle by Blur.  So much better live.
https://youtu.be/bKlcPMatPLA
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
Hex Omega

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
Dream Theater's The Shattered Fortress. Thanks, Mangini.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
I thought so little of the album version of Index that I didn't recognize it live.  The live version slays the album version to death.
Yeah I almost said this one too. I like the album version, but live was amazing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »
Index is great live, but the version on this tour with the finger snapping and the first verse/chorus being done without music was incredibly awkward. It still sounds great on album though.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
Opeth's A Fair Judgement

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
Dream Theater's The Shattered Fortress

This one. I'm still not in love with TSF madly, but I like it much better after the last DT tour.

Also:

Sonata Arctica - I Have a Right (well, I still don't like it much, but I can at least tolerate it live)
Blind Guardian - The Ninth Wave (this is real killer live, and on the album I hate it after the first few minutes)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »
Everything by Nightwish. Didn't think much of them as a band in general until they blew me the fuck away headlining with Kamelot. (I mainly went to see Kamelot)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 11:12:53 PM »
Everything by Nightwish. Didn't think much of them as a band in general until they blew me the fuck away headlining with Kamelot. (I mainly went to see Kamelot)

Good to hear - I am seeing Nightwish for the first time in January.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 03:13:58 AM »
Yeah I almost said this one too. I like the album version, but live was amazing.
Dream Theater's The Shattered Fortress

This one. I'm still not in love with TSF madly, but I like it much better after the last DT tour.

Also:

Sonata Arctica - I Have a Right (well, I still don't like it much, but I can at least tolerate it live)
These.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 07:46:38 AM »
Porcupine Tree - A Smart Kid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
Rush's Marathon is 1000x better than the studio version.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
"Let me entertain you" by Queen. A somewhat vapid song on the album, but I totally understood its purpose when seeing a live video of it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »
The only thing I can really think of that applies to this thread would be Queensryche's Hear in the Now Frontier album. When I first got it, I HATED it. Couldn't stand anything on it except spOOL, which sounded like the QR I knew. As it turns out, I ended up catching them twice on that tour (Alpine Valley and Tinley Park/Chicago) and I got to hear a number of those songs in the live setting next to the older stuff, and then I was able to finally get into some of the songs. It still is far from my favorite album from them, and there's still some stuff on there that I completely loathe (such as Get a Life), but I have appreciation for it now, whereas I had zero for it originally.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »
Radiohead - Reckoner

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »
Rush's Marathon is 1000x better than the studio version.

I sure hope you are talking about the A Show of Hands version, not the Time Machine Tour version, since Geddy couldn't sing the chorus worth a darn by then.  Rush has rarely disappointed me over the years, but finally seeing that tune live was a bit anti-climatic because, again, Geddy just can't sing it right anymore.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Handful Of Nothing by Pain Of Salvation! I really liked the live version of the Ending Themes DVD, but it was one of my least favourites of the studio album