Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 576939 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread
« Reply #6580 on: February 22, 2022, 10:27:07 AM »
I saw that from Frontiers ... and considering most of their output is shit, I can easily be convinced that their business practices are shit too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6581 on: February 22, 2022, 10:41:58 AM »
I saw that from Frontiers ... and considering most of their output is shit, I can easily be convinced that their business practices are shit too.

I feel deja vu here and am seeing visions of Scarlett Johansen in my peripheral vision, but if, big if, but IF, the contract says what Frontiers says it does, this isn't about shitty business practices, it's about a grown man making a decision then backing out on it to someone else's detriment, then crying butthurt when he doesn't get his way.  It's not the '60s anymore; if a contract says "you will be exclusive to us", that's what it means. EXCLUSIVE.  Excluding all others. 

Granted I don't know Dino from the guy who plows my driveway (that would be me) but still, this doesn't sound like shitty business practices, it sounds more like a couple of children who need their mom to stop this car.  I read the two postings above, and it's clear the second was written by someone with a moderately objective (that is, unemotional) take on things, whereas the first one might as well have been written in crayon.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6582 on: February 22, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »
Dino should probably have read the small print.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6583 on: February 22, 2022, 10:47:02 AM »

I feel deja vu here and am seeing visions of Scarlett Johansen in my peripheral vision, but if, big if, but IF, the contract says what Frontiers says it does, this isn't about shitty business practices, it's about a grown man making a decision then backing out on it to someone else's detriment, then crying butthurt when he doesn't get his way.  It's not the '60s anymore; if a contract says "you will be exclusive to us", that's what it means. EXCLUSIVE.  Excluding all others. 

Granted I don't know Dino from the guy who plows my driveway (that would be me) but still, this doesn't sound like shitty business practices, it sounds more like a couple of children who need their mom to stop this car.  I read the two postings above, and it's clear the second was written by someone with a moderately objective (that is, unemotional) take on things, whereas the first one might as well have been written in crayon.

I agree with all of that....I saw a comment in the link that Frontiers provided from last summer where they said that people can work outside of their contract and implied that Dino hadn't communicated his intent to do so multiple times. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6584 on: February 22, 2022, 11:47:38 AM »

All fair, and if his contract with Frontiers is tantamount to a 24x7 'anything you create / record is ours' type of thing, then yeah... sucks to be him - for having signed that kind of deal, and then gotten caught at breaking it.

There are three sides to every story, and we don't know what the truth is, that's for sure.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6585 on: February 22, 2022, 11:56:26 AM »
another thing that just occurred to me ... Jelusick has been a regular touring member of TSO the past few years, so it's not like Frontiers "owns" everything of his, and I'd assume he knows the confines / restrictions of his contract.  Like I said, it wouldn't take much to convince me that Frontiers is in the wrong - although I don't know (or care for that matter) at the moment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6586 on: February 22, 2022, 12:48:15 PM »
another thing that just occurred to me ... Jelusick has been a regular touring member of TSO the past few years, so it's not like Frontiers "owns" everything of his, and I'd assume he knows the confines / restrictions of his contract.  Like I said, it wouldn't take much to convince me that Frontiers is in the wrong - although I don't know (or care for that matter) at the moment.

The key line is: "Frontiers believes that it contractually has the rights to the exclusive services of Mr. Dino Jelusic for recordings."

I would think being a touring member of TSO isn't a problem, unless and until TSO decides to release something recorded (it's not clear if "recordings" is limited to studio productions or covers ANY recorded performance).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6587 on: February 22, 2022, 01:18:44 PM »

Easily the best part out of this whole conversation.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6588 on: February 22, 2022, 01:24:29 PM »
Toto (Steve Lukather) also had an issue with Frontiers were Toto believed they had fulfilled their contract obligations as far as albums go and I believe they settled or released a live/compilation/studio album (don't remember exactly how they resolved the issue). This issue is covered in Steve's book.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6589 on: February 22, 2022, 01:38:49 PM »
Don't forget JLT having an issue with the whole Sunstorm thing.  Regardless if Dino is in the wrong here, Frontiers aren't having a very good track record.  So something is going wrong their end.

Simone Mularoni too with the whole Geoff Tate thing also another one.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6590 on: February 22, 2022, 01:49:09 PM »

That was a Geoff Tate issue alone - he dicked Simone around, re-writing the music and recording sub-par vocals.  I give Simone a ton of credit for making that first record sound so good. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6591 on: February 22, 2022, 01:59:40 PM »
Most of their releases are rehashed crap that all sounds the same. They have an occasional gem but lately its been lame. How these guys pump out 8 to 10 releases a month is beyond me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6592 on: February 22, 2022, 02:10:35 PM »

That was a Geoff Tate issue alone - he dicked Simone around, re-writing the music and recording sub-par vocals.  I give Simone a ton of credit for making that first record sound so good.

I thought that, but thought Frontiers had something to do with it also, but yeah, Simone made that a really good album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6593 on: February 22, 2022, 02:11:05 PM »
Most of their releases are rehashed crap that all sounds the same. They have an occasional gem but lately its been lame. How these guys pump out 8 to 10 releases a month is beyond me.

Hence why I changed the title of my own thread to what it is now!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6594 on: February 22, 2022, 02:32:26 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6595 on: February 22, 2022, 03:06:39 PM »
Actually, to be fair, I thought it was still called the Frontiers Factory for a second when I posted that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6596 on: February 23, 2022, 05:57:45 AM »
this spat is ridiculous. A contract is a contract, though the wording is often obscure and open to interpretation.

But, like in football (proper football, not the one American's play with their hands  :biggrin:) if a player doesn't want o to play  for the team it's not worth forcing them to. No one wins in that. All that would happen if it is upheld is that Dino would churn out mediocre albums (well, would anyone notice on Frontiers?) as the "contractual obligation" album. No one would but it. What's the point? He s hardly going to make them millions is he?

I have no sympathy for record companies, they have milked artists and fans for decades, especially taking advantage of desperate newcomers on multialbum deals, but also don't sign anything you don't want to be bound by. Simple really.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6597 on: February 23, 2022, 06:48:18 AM »

At my request so we can split the credit for that brilliant title  :hat  :lol

Dino has some balls - those Frontiers guys just keep on coming if you get on their bad side.  I have wondered from time to time if their business model is just so amazing in a pretty dead genre or whether perhaps profits are secondary and it might be operating as a "laundry" for some other "legit" family businesses .  Maybe I've watched too many movies  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6598 on: February 23, 2022, 07:07:14 AM »

At my request so we can split the credit for that brilliant title  :hat  :lol

Dino has some balls - those Frontiers guys just keep on coming if you get on their bad side.  I have wondered from time to time if their business model is just so amazing in a pretty dead genre or whether perhaps profits are secondary and it might be operating as a "laundry" for some other "legit" family businesses .  Maybe I've watched too many movies  ;D

It would explain alot. They can't be making money. I know albums don't cost much to make, and advertising won't be extensive. Most are projects they don't tour so aren't making money that way. you may be onto something  :biggrin:.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6599 on: February 23, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
No posts on the $5 CD and $15-20 vinyl sale?

https://frontiers-us.shop/collections/5-cds

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6600 on: February 23, 2022, 11:31:32 AM »
I did listen to the Mecca 3 cd retrospective last night. That was very enjoyable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6601 on: February 23, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »
No posts on the $5 CD and $15-20 vinyl sale?

https://frontiers-us.shop/collections/5-cds

Some semi decent stuff in here.  Probably not worth it getting it shipped to me though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6602 on: February 23, 2022, 01:51:50 PM »
Anything in there that I'm interested in, I already own.  Pre-Spotify, I might've taken a flyer on some of these for shits and giggles ... now if I just want to try/sample/explore, I do it in Spotify first.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6603 on: March 05, 2022, 05:39:38 AM »
It's not a Frontiers release (it's on AFM), but I'm digging the new Serious Black album - way better than the last 3.5 turds (I'd call Mirrorworld 1/2 a turd) they dropped.  Ever since Roland left, the writing was crap.  They dropped Urban as a vocalist, in favor of Nikola Mijić that some might know from Powerworld and Eden's Curse.  I also liked him in Expedition Delta and Dreylands, so it helps having a voice I like - Urban is very much hit/miss for me, and it's been a big miss the past few albums from Serious Black.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6604 on: March 05, 2022, 07:20:00 AM »
They dropped Urban as a vocalist, in favor of Nikola Mijić that some might know from Powerworld and Eden's Curse.
Mora and Mladen: oh, right, he was in those bands too :biggrin:

If you quite like him, you should probably listen to the first few (I think people like the first three?) Alogia albums. Wasn't my thing, either back in the day, or now, but would be interesting to hear your take on 'em!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6605 on: March 08, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
It's not a Frontiers release (it's on AFM), but I'm digging the new Serious Black album - way better than the last 3.5 turds (I'd call Mirrorworld 1/2 a turd) they dropped.  Ever since Roland left, the writing was crap.  They dropped Urban as a vocalist, in favor of Nikola Mijić that some might know from Powerworld and Eden's Curse.  I also liked him in Expedition Delta and Dreylands, so it helps having a voice I like - Urban is very much hit/miss for me, and it's been a big miss the past few albums from Serious Black.

I gave it a listen the other day. Didn’t do anything for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6606 on: March 09, 2022, 08:52:03 AM »
I think I must be going soft, but I listened to a Work Of Art compilation on Youtube the other day, and the Creye album, and really enjoye dboth. Someone please call a doctor, or a therapist  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6607 on: March 09, 2022, 09:49:12 AM »
I thought the Creye release last year (Creye II, right?) was really enjoyable.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6608 on: March 09, 2022, 12:37:01 PM »

Very underrated album!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6609 on: March 09, 2022, 12:46:49 PM »
I think I must be going soft, but I listened to a Work Of Art compilation on Youtube the other day, and the Creye album, and really enjoye dboth. Someone please call a doctor, or a therapist  :lol

Nah, Work of Art are upper class of the genre.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6610 on: March 09, 2022, 02:31:40 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6611 on: March 09, 2022, 02:33:48 PM »
One for Tim 😁

https://youtu.be/unWvkG6XLo0

People actually went on a cruise in 2022 already?  Wow, that takes some pills.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6612 on: March 09, 2022, 02:41:20 PM »

Very underrated album!

Agreed!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6613 on: March 10, 2022, 08:08:05 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6614 on: March 13, 2022, 11:40:41 AM »
Hahaha this is lame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otU3s1qLHJA

Almost posted this the other day but it’s just too cringey. More importantly, I bagsied the brunette, the rest of you can fight over the blonde 😁