Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 31429 times)

ne9149, svend_inge and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #770 on: May 08, 2024, 11:03:48 AM »
Yup...I feel the same way about guitar solos as I do about lyrics:  great lyrics or a great guitar solo can't turn an otherwise crappy song into a great song.  The corollary only really works with lyrics:  crappy lyrics can ruin an otherwise great song.

This.

Offline gborland

« Reply #771 on: May 08, 2024, 11:23:25 AM »
crappy lyrics can ruin an otherwise great song.

Allow me to present... The Count Of Tuscany!
Graham Borland

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #772 on: May 08, 2024, 11:36:07 AM »
I think The Best of Times is a really unique song in the catalog actually and surprised it doesn't get more praise. The Rush worship isn't unusual for DT but what IS unusual is how lyrically driven it is. There aren't any big instrumental sections breaking up the song (think Sacrificed Sons, Endless Sacrifice, The Ministry of Lost Souls) or anything where JLB isn't driving the song until the huge guitar solo at the end (which is one of JP's best). It's such an earned and epic moment and I wish DT would make more songs like that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #773 on: May 08, 2024, 11:48:46 AM »
Pretty sure Mike has always spoken of TBOT as "when" he plays it live not "if" so for the people suggesting it would be too emotional for Mike to play it, yeah it will be emotional, but not to the point it will never be played.

Also it would be incredibly awkward to dedicate that to anybody other than Mike's dad, especially considering it's so specific.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #774 on: May 08, 2024, 11:53:23 AM »
I’m sure they’ll play it live eventually before the band calls it a day, but probably just for a one-off performance.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #775 on: May 08, 2024, 11:55:58 AM »
They can always alter the lyrics and play it on a farewell tour
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline HOF

« Reply #776 on: May 08, 2024, 12:07:29 PM »
Another possibility: maybe there’s a song on the new album specifically written for/dedicated to Charlie.

Offline Kram

« Reply #777 on: May 08, 2024, 12:08:42 PM »
Really no reason to play it every night. Do it once for a special occasion, maybe for a DVD filming so everyone can experience it.
Yes, this. Not only will they play it for a special occasion, like a DVD filming - but Mike will sing it (like he did in the demo version he played for his dad before he passed).

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #778 on: May 08, 2024, 01:07:30 PM »
Pretty sure Mike has always spoken of TBOT as "when" he plays it live not "if" so for the people suggesting it would be too emotional for Mike to play it, yeah it will be emotional, but not to the point it will never be played.

Also it would be incredibly awkward to dedicate that to anybody other than Mike's dad, especially considering it's so specific.

Will it be too emotional? Don't you think enough time has passed?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #779 on: May 08, 2024, 01:16:06 PM »
Will it be too emotional? Don't you think enough time has passed?

That's pretty subjective but considering he sang that to his dad on his death bed, I don't think time will change how emotional it is. Mike's an emotional dude.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #780 on: May 08, 2024, 01:25:16 PM »
Wasn’t there a video from not that long ago of someone asking Mike about The Best of Times? Maybe it was on Cruise to the Edge. Anyway, he made it seem like it was too difficult emotionally to perform it live.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #781 on: May 08, 2024, 02:22:24 PM »
That's pretty subjective but considering he sang that to his dad on his death bed, I don't think time will change how emotional it is. Mike's an emotional dude.

Yeah, I was very very close to my dad, and I lost him in June of 2022, and honestly, you'd THINK it gets better... now, he has over a decade but still, we each grieve in our own way, and we carry our memories in our own way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: May 08, 2024, 03:06:41 PM »
I think The Best of Times is a really unique song in the catalog actually and surprised it doesn't get more praise. The Rush worship isn't unusual for DT but what IS unusual is how lyrically driven it is. There aren't any big instrumental sections breaking up the song (think Sacrificed Sons, Endless Sacrifice, The Ministry of Lost Souls) or anything where JLB isn't driving the song until the huge guitar solo at the end (which is one of JP's best). It's such an earned and epic moment and I wish DT would make more songs like that.

Amen, brother, and I find the intro extremely touching and as good as the outro solo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #783 on: May 08, 2024, 03:47:51 PM »
The Best of Times is a really good track with one of JP’s finest guitar solos. Last week I gave it another spin and the song’s meaning and touching lyrics are just really strong. The various parts where the music seems to mimic a certain band (Rush, The Beatles) are very deliberate and well done. Underrated track for sure.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #784 on: May 09, 2024, 09:01:39 AM »
Wasn’t there a video from not that long ago of someone asking Mike about The Best of Times? Maybe it was on Cruise to the Edge. Anyway, he made it seem like it was too difficult emotionally to perform it live.

I'm not sure about that interview but he had said things like that in the past. Normally he says something along the lines of, "I don't know how I'll get through it when it comes time to play it."

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #785 on: May 09, 2024, 01:44:10 PM »
Theyjust dropped a new Europe tour ad on social featuring different songs they have played live… Are these hints of what they’re gonna play?

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #786 on: May 09, 2024, 02:17:53 PM »
The clip played:

The Root of All Evil
The Spirit Carries On
Take the Time
Rite of Passage

I hope they play them all except A Rite of Passage, that's not worthy being in such a special set for me  :P

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #787 on: May 09, 2024, 02:29:03 PM »
What if they just compiled some footage they had from the three most recent tours they did with MP?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #788 on: May 09, 2024, 02:53:08 PM »
The clip played:

The Root of All Evil
The Spirit Carries On
Take the Time
Rite of Passage

I hope they play them all except A Rite of Passage, that's not worthy being in such a special set for me  :P
Well, if they are going to represent BC&SL, that would be the song to play.

ANTR & Count have been played in recent tours. TBOT, while possible, probably will not be played on this tour. TSF is possible, but I feel that if they are going to play this, they might as well do a 12SS medley. That leaves Wither or AROP. I'll take whatever they played, but if they are going to represent this album (Which is pretty much guaranteed, given it was the last one with MP), then AROP is probably the song most likely to make the setlist.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #789 on: May 09, 2024, 04:37:46 PM »
I noticed that they seem to be promoting a lot of "nearly sold out" tickets for weeks now, so I decided to take a look. Seems like there are a LOT of seats left in the O2. They've nearly sold-out the floor, but the first level ring still has a lot of availability, and the upper ring has not even been opened. Out of curiosity, I checked a few other venues, and found mostly the same issue - floors are gone, upper decks are closed or 50%ish (from a limited spot check).

Makes me wonder... maybe MP back isn't enough to have people running out to see the band a third year in a row. For me, I'm sure I'll go, but also I kinda just can't help but think... "how about some music, fellas?" I feel I am really lacking that to take my excitement to the next level.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #790 on: May 09, 2024, 05:15:33 PM »
Dream Theater NEVER WAS and NEVER WILL BE an ARENA band! I have had management issues with the band since the 90's so THIS^ is NOT surprising!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: May 10, 2024, 01:46:59 AM »
I noticed that they seem to be promoting a lot of "nearly sold out" tickets for weeks now, so I decided to take a look. Seems like there are a LOT of seats left in the O2. They've nearly sold-out the floor, but the first level ring still has a lot of availability, and the upper ring has not even been opened. Out of curiosity, I checked a few other venues, and found mostly the same issue - floors are gone, upper decks are closed or 50%ish (from a limited spot check).

Makes me wonder... maybe MP back isn't enough to have people running out to see the band a third year in a row. For me, I'm sure I'll go, but also I kinda just can't help but think... "how about some music, fellas?" I feel I am really lacking that to take my excitement to the next level.

We're 5 months ahead of the tour, and people are still saving for summer. Despite that, the pace at which tickets are selling — I'm a bit of a nerd in this regard as well — is faster than usual - not crazily faster, but still. Not even the SC tour, which I think was their peak here in Europe in terms of attendance, sold out this early.

The O2 is a huge gamble, no doubt, but I'm pretty sure the tour will sell well in the end.

Dream Theater NEVER WAS and NEVER WILL BE an ARENA band! I have had management issues with the band since the 90's so THIS^ is NOT surprising!
In some markets, they have been for years now.
We're talking about 8/10 k arenas, not 15k, sure, but what's the point?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 01:55:44 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #792 on: May 10, 2024, 05:47:29 AM »
Theyjust dropped a new Europe tour ad on social featuring different songs they have played live… Are these hints of what they’re gonna play?
No, they are just snippets designed to make a lot of fans ask "Are these hints of what they’re gonna play?" on the internet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #793 on: May 10, 2024, 06:30:41 AM »

I agree. The only thing worse than seeing them in an arena is seeing them in an all-seated arena. I guess maybe US fans are more used to this, but over here in Europe it's the best way to suck all the atmosphere out of the place.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline gborland

« Reply #794 on: May 10, 2024, 06:45:20 AM »
The only thing worse than seeing them in an arena is seeing them in an all-seated arena.

The only thing worse than seeing them in an arena is seeing them in a half-empty all-seated arena.

I guess maybe US fans are more used to this, but over here in Europe it's the best way to suck all the atmosphere out of the place.

Totally.
Graham Borland

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #795 on: May 10, 2024, 07:09:39 AM »
Arena or not, it's going to be an epic fucking moment :metal

harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #796 on: May 10, 2024, 07:34:58 AM »
yeah i'm going to see Symphony X play the same venue DT is playing a few months later for 36,-. No way i'm paying 90,- to hear JLB struggle.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #797 on: May 10, 2024, 07:36:21 AM »
The only thing worse than seeing them in an arena is seeing them in a half-empty all-seated arena.

Totally.

Agree.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #798 on: May 10, 2024, 07:42:23 AM »
I have no doubt it will sell well, but jesus do I hate the all-seated thing. It will be particularly jarring because it's the same arena and I saw them in the spring of '22 in the golden circle part of the standing section and I remember the feeling of the night quite well still. I probably won't be sitting much farther back here than I was back then but it will probably feel much less exciting. Still, Americans on the server will see them quite a bit later so it could have been worse, and I have a feeling they'll pull out all the stops for the setlist.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mladen

« Reply #799 on: May 10, 2024, 08:01:54 AM »
I've seen Dream Theater eight times and it was never an all-seated venue. That must be a strange experience.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #800 on: May 10, 2024, 08:37:04 AM »
With the exception of the last tour with DTB, DT usually play an all-seated venue in Colorado (The Paramount in Denver). Have seen them there three times now, I think
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #801 on: May 10, 2024, 08:47:39 AM »
For me the best venues for them is a large music club. Acoustics usually support a huge low end which lend itself extremely well to their sound and it makes them look larger than life. Terminal 5 in nyc is a great example.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #802 on: May 10, 2024, 08:52:27 AM »
yeah i'm going to see Symphony X play the same venue DT is playing a few months later for 36,-. No way i'm paying 90,- to hear JLB struggle.

In Holland you mean? Considering your name I'm thinking you're Dutch. But that's probably not the case. Or you will be seeing these shows outside of The Netherlands. In Holland DT plays at AFAS Live. Symphony X plays a few weeks earlier at smaller venues: Boerderij in Zoetermeer and Next Stage of the 013 in Tilburg (700 maximum capacity). So I'm a bit confused.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #803 on: May 10, 2024, 09:05:03 AM »
For me the best venues for them is a large music club. Acoustics usually support a huge low end which lend itself extremely well to their sound and it makes them look larger than life. Terminal 5 in nyc is a great example.
While I'm not a fan of Terminal 5, I wouldn't mind if they play there.

Last time I saw DT at a general admission show was in 2014 at the Hammerstein Ballroom on 34th.

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #804 on: May 10, 2024, 09:08:50 AM »
While I'm not a fan of Terminal 5, I wouldn't mind if they play there.

Last time I saw DT at a general admission show was in 2014 at the Hammerstein Ballroom on 34th.

I was at that show! Was amazing. Something about them being elevated works well. Back half of Awake was like a bucket list moment.

Saw both Radio City shows as well. The sound was not great. Rc and the beacon do not allow for low end so it really thins out their sound. Selling out RC at this point is just kind of an ego thing. Hopefully they wont go that direction. Hopefully they’ll scout out the best venues for sound and technical compatibility. Brooklyn steel would be amazing.