Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915430 times)

Offline lyfeternl

"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #4236 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #4237 on: August 01, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
Y'all need to stop hectoring each other in this thread.

Please stop hectoring us about hectoring each other! ;D

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4238 on: August 01, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!
GAH! Beat me to it! lol

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4239 on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
The only half-decent point made in that blog is regarding the official website. It's ALWAYS lagging behind with news and updates, and to still have the ADTOE theme when the artwork for the new album has been released is pretty poor in my opinion. I'm just surprised the band themselves don't deem it more important to have a fully up-to-date website.

Everything else he said was, quite frankly, rubbish.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #4240 on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »
Awww, how cute. The little guy threw a temper tantrum on his blog because he's jealous that a few people got to listen to the album and he didn't. :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4241 on: August 01, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
Awww, how cute. The little guy threw a temper tantrum on his blog because he's jealous that a few people got to listen to the album and he didn't. :lol

Automatically insuring he won't receive an invitation to the pre-release listening party for DT13.  :facepalm:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4242 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
The only half-decent point made in that blog is regarding the official website. It's ALWAYS lagging behind with news and updates, and to still have the ADTOE theme when the artwork for the new album has been released is pretty poor in my opinion. I'm just surprised the band themselves don't deem it more important to have a fully up-to-date website.

I get the part about news and updates being behind.  But as far as the artwork, I don't get that criticism at all.  The new album is not released yet, so I wouldn't expect the website appearance to be updated with new artwork yet.  Why would they do it early?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4243 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
Surely it's all part of building the hype, using the website as part of the marketing campaign for the new album. That's what I'd be doing anyway.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4244 on: August 01, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »

I get the part about news and updates being behind.  But as far as the artwork, I don't get that criticism at all.  The new album is not released yet, so I wouldn't expect the website appearance to be updated with new artwork yet.  Why would they do it early?  ???

+1

And about the single...There's still almost 2 months left for promoting the album. Usually record companies like 3 months for promo and singles are usually released about a month before official release. IT seems to me that the listening party was the official start of the album's promotion so reviews are going to start popping out here and there...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4245 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

Yeah I wouldn't expect the website to be updated yet seeing how we are still about, what, 7 weeks away from the album...

Surely it's all part of building the hype, using the website as part of the marketing campaign for the new album. That's what I'd be doing anyway.

Maybe they will switch it over soon, but I don't see it as an issue to not have it updated with new imagery yet.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4246 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:08 PM »
Man, keeping up with this thread is like chasing a rainbow.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4247 on: August 01, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
GUYS.

CHILL.

We're not waiting for a new Metallica or Tool album. . .

( we are ? oh...)

But look at it THIS WAY :

Dream Theater 12 is out NEXT MONTH.

Just to give you some perspective. We have an album name - all the track titles, a promise of a single and the artwork !

The album is out NEXT MONTH. Just think about that.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4248 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
Well it's not a very creative name
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4249 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Just to give you some perspective. We have an album name - all the track titles, a promise of a single and the artwork !

And more. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #4250 on: August 01, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »

Dream Theater 12 is out SOON

Just to give you some perspective. We have an album name - all the track titles, a promise of a single (SOON!) and the artwork !

The album is out SOON. Just think about that.
FTFY

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4251 on: August 01, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
The difference here is I believe Dream Theater can sell in the millions, if only they shift their thinking and stop missing opportunities to connect direct to fans.
Excuse me, but how will connecting with people who are their fans already make DT gain more fans and sell millions? ???
Dream Theater built their career outside of the mainstream.
Dude, ever heard of a song called Pull Me Under?
@Hector: I've discovered a new verb today. Thanks to over the dtf for the English Class.
This :lol

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4252 on: August 01, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

You have done this guy a far worse service: you have unleashed ROBWEBSTER on him.  :hat

:o
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4253 on: August 01, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
That's more frightening than unleasing Yngwie on a donut.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4254 on: August 01, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »

Dream Theater 12 is out SOON

Just to give you some perspective. We have an album name - all the track titles, a promise of a single (SOON!) and the artwork !

The album is out SOON. Just think about that.
FTFY

LOL

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4255 on: August 01, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
GUYS.

CHILL.

( we are ? oh...)

The yellow....Why? WHY?
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4256 on: August 01, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
That's more frightening than unleasing Yngwie on a donut.

:clap:  :lol

EDIT: That ended up looking like some guy #1 clapping loudly in another guy #2's ear, and guy #2 loves it and giggles about it

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #4257 on: August 01, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
GUYS.

CHILL.

( we are ? oh...)

I think I miss your point here...  ::)
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #4258 on: August 01, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »

And more.

I think everything we've gotten so far is plenty. I don't NEED more. The album is out next month. Knowing that and knowing that other stuff is still coming before it's released is enough to keep me from freaking the hell out.

I get more frustrated with the teaser tactics the label uses because it sets off a shitstorm of "Tell us now. We need to know." entitlement type bullshit. All that does is make us fans--and in some instances this forum--look like spoiled children.

We have a lot, with more to look forward to. I am grateful.  :heart :metal

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

« Reply #4259 on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
The difference here is I believe Dream Theater can sell in the millions, if only they shift their thinking and stop missing opportunities to connect direct to fans.
Excuse me, but how will connecting with people who are their fans already make DT gain more fans and sell millions? ???

Regarding the whole mainstream issue though. I think people make too much of what Mainstream is. Especially these days. Sure, DT probably won't be getting played on many radio stations, or music channels, but how relevant is that anymore? Half the artists who become famous in the mainstream, do so because of the internet. The difference between us and a mainstream audience is... There isn't one. We're all people who listen to music. Most of this music is made the exact same way, by having artists sign onto a label, and then having that label worry about marketing it. And even if an artist is not signed to a label, it doesn't even matter anymore, because everyone's biggest exposure to music is on the exact same platforms: Youtube, Facebook, Twitter. And you don't need to have a record deal to have a song or a music video up on Youtube.
My point is that these days, the line between mainstream and underground is quite thin. Popularity is a different issue entirely, but but you don't have to 'dig' to find good underground music anymore.

But even before the music industry started using Youtube as a marketing platform, even in the old days of Dream Theater, fundamentally speaking, they built their career just like any mainstream band. They got record deals, they recorded their albums, and they sold their albums in stores, then they toured. Just because they maintained success without maintaining mainstream popularity, doesn't mean that DT is some band that's always turned its back on the mainstream and only wanted to appeal to underground audiences, they simply stayed true to who they were as musicians. But not selling out is different from shunning mainstream audience. There are probably very few bands out there who wouldn't want that sort of success.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4260 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
Eh, DT broke through as a mainstream band with PMU. They were in heavy rotation with the video on MTV. To date, Images & Words is still their best-selling album. What they've never managed to do is repeat that mainstream success, but the fanbase has still steadily increased in a way that shows during gigs, but not with record sales.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #4261 on: August 01, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »

Regarding the whole mainstream issue though. I think people make too much of what Mainstream is. Especially these days. Sure, DT probably won't be getting played on many radio stations, or music channels, but how relevant is that anymore? Half the artists who become famous in the mainstream, do so because of the internet. The difference between us and a mainstream audience is... There isn't one. We're all people who listen to music. Most of this music is made the exact same way, by having artists sign onto a label, and then having that label worry about marketing it. And even if an artist is not signed to a label, it doesn't even matter anymore, because everyone's biggest exposure to music is on the exact same platforms: Youtube, Facebook, Twitter. And you don't need to have a record deal to have a song or a music video up on Youtube.
My point is that these days, the line between mainstream and underground is quite thin. Popularity is a different issue entirely, but but you don't have to 'dig' to find good underground music anymore.

But even before the music industry started using Youtube as a marketing platform, even in the old days of Dream Theater, fundamentally speaking, they built their career just like any mainstream band. They got record deals, they recorded their albums, and they sold their albums in stores, then they toured. Just because they maintained success without maintaining mainstream popularity, doesn't mean that DT is some band that's always turned its back on the mainstream and only wanted to appeal to underground audiences, they simply stayed true to who they were as musicians. But not selling out is different from shunning mainstream audience. There are probably very few bands out there who wouldn't want that sort of success.

Totally agree with you. People's just frightened of what "mainstream" means musically (read as "we don't want catchy songs anymore" :D)

me on lastfm

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4262 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
GUYS.

CHILL.

( we are ? oh...)

The yellow....Why? WHY?
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

PINK IS TOTES NOT MY BAG BABY

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4263 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »
Hey, I just remembered that the first time Metallica had a listening party, it was for their new self-titled very mainstream-oriented album. Coincidence?

WWMD not WWRD

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #4264 on: August 01, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

..but you know -- being able to say one is "apart" from the mainstream is practically a badge of honor to fanboy types.  ;)  I don't believe there is a band on earth who would refuse some mainstream cash.

it's kinda like the convo several pages back and its spin-off thread about "musical superiority in taste".  everyone likes to feel that their musical preferences are just a bit more "exclusive" and non-sell-out-ish than the unwashed masses.   :\  Hence, the rant from that dude we're talking about.

I can understand the cool feeling of being a fan of a band from its inception and perhaps the entitlement that one feels should come along with it.  But it seems a bit immature to get offended because a band chooses ways to market its product in a way "you" don't approve.

This is their bread and butter.  They should make their money however they see fit.  IMO.   :angel:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #4265 on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
Hey, I just remembered that the first time Metallica had a listening party, it was for their new self-titled very mainstream-oriented album. Coincidence?

WWMD not WWRD

That was mean  :biggrin:

me on lastfm

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4266 on: August 01, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

« Reply #4267 on: August 01, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
..but you know -- being able to say one is "apart" from the mainstream is practically a badge of honor to fanboy types.  ;)  I don't believe there is a band on earth who would refuse some mainstream cash.
While I CAN understand that sort of mentality, it can get quite lonely, depending on your community. I mean, when I went to the DT concert, being around a total group of strangers, and still be able to discuss the band and have them know exactly what you're talking about felt extremely rewarding.

I'm sure those hipster bands are out there. But chances are, they're not coming out of the slums anyway.

it's kinda like the convo several pages back and its spin-off thread about "musical superiority in taste".  everyone likes to feel that their musical preferences are just a bit more "exclusive" and non-sell-out-ish than the unwashed masses.   :\  Hence, the rant from that dude we're talking about.
Except that rant was really baseless. I mean, it didn't even have anything to do with the music, or DT reaching out to anyone. I mean, the party they had, it's not like they organized this big event for the masses in Times Square, and gave free stuff to millions of strangers, just to get them to listen to the album.

I can understand the cool feeling of being a fan of a band from its inception and perhaps the entitlement that one feels should come along with it.  But it seems a bit immature to get offended because a band chooses ways to market its product in a way "you" don't approve.

This is their bread and butter.  They should make their money however they see fit.  IMO.   :angel:

Not only that, but this is Dream Theater we're talking about. Sure, there are some people here who talk about how they checked out Images and Words when it came out and fell in love with it. But Dream Theater has a lot of fairly younger fans, and I guarantee you that these people probably weren't listening to Images and Words when they were 3 - 7 years old. Let alone When Dream and Day Unite. Which basically means that DT has a huge part of its fanbase who haven't been there since the band's inception, anyway. So to try and claim this entitlement, this exclusivity for the band is a little hypocritical. How would they feel if they were discovering DT for the first time, and a bunch of snobby fans said, "You weren't there from the beginning, so we don't want you now." Dream Theater wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are now if they didn't constantly hook in new fans.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4268 on: August 01, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
I guarantee you that these people probably weren't listening to Images and Words when they were 3 - 7 years old. Let alone When Dream and Day Unite. Which basically means that DT has a huge part of its fanbase who haven't been there since the band's inception, anyway.

Hai :biggrin: Systematic Chaos = first DT album, here!  :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4269 on: August 01, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »

WWMD not WWRD

:tup