Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 917293 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
oh, false allarm, they're from James' new record.  :facepalm:
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nope, from his Elements Of Persuasion (2005).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
oh, false allarm, they're from James' new record.  :facepalm:

It's actually from one of his older albums, Elements of Persuasion (Myung'd by Zydar). It's worth checking out if you're into the more straight up metal. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
oh you guys...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline nikatapi

Just FYI, tomorrow there is a listening party for the album at the DT HQ (according to my friend from Rocking GR where he posted the title of the album before everyone ;) ) so i guess we'll get some impressions from media pretty soon

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nikatapi

Τhough i have to say that Warner Greece sucks balls, they don't even care for DT as it seems and my friend has yet to receive a promo copy.

Offline emtee

So nothing new over the weekend.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
So nothing new over the weekend.

That was to be expected due to them never releasing anything over the weekend anyways.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
They seem to like Monday or Tuesday mornings.

Offline Lucien

They seem to like Monday or Tuesday mornings.

:beg: :beg:

Maybe....?  :justjen

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Last time, they put out an announcement before releasing the single, so I anticipate they won't just plop the single on Youtube this time around either.  We'll know about it beforehand (that is, it doesn't seem like we'll get something tomorrow morning because we'd have heard about it by now).

Offline liran95

Last time, they put out an announcement before releasing the single, so I anticipate they won't just plop the single on Youtube this time around either.  We'll know about it beforehand (that is, it doesn't seem like we'll get something tomorrow morning because we'd have heard about it by now).

I really don't know if you can count on ADTOE's schedule.
DT12's schedule seems to be kind of unique :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
We're still 8 weeks out.  Still lots of time.  Trust me when I say there is a lot coming.  But as to "when," you'll just have to be patient and wait and see.  But there will be a pretty steady flow of information and promotion between now and then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
And there's been a pretty steady flow up until now, really.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Thematt202

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a single 8 weeks from album release date.  Are we to presume that the above post is implying that we shouldn't get our hope up just yet?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Lucien

We're still 8 weeks out.  Still lots of time.  Trust me when I say there is a lot coming.  But as to "when," you'll just have to be patient and wait and see.  But there will be a pretty steady flow of information and promotion between now and then.

Oh bosk, how you make us all turn green with envy

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I think we may get the single next week, but that's just my gut feeling.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eh, not really, it would be like if we said we are jealous of band members for having heard the full album already :D some people are privy to info, some haven't.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline tiagodon

Back in 1991, I remember reading something about the Use You Illusion I (Guns N Roses) going back to the mixing/mastering process after someone with an advance copy notice something wrong with one of the tracks. I don't know if it's a common incident.... Anyway...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The past couple album cycles we've done these discography listening parties. Kinda strange one hasn't been done yet this year. Maybe if people want to...

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Back in 1991, I remember reading something about the Use You Illusion I (Guns N Roses) going back to the mixing/mastering process after someone with an advance copy notice something wrong with one of the tracks. I don't know if it's a common incident.... Anyway...

No.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
The past couple album cycles we've done these discography listening parties. Kinda strange one hasn't been done yet this year. Maybe if people want to...
UHM I WANNA. I can get my CDs from the ex-boyfriend's to do it "properly" as well :lol

edit: OR MAKE HIM AND OTHERS GO THROUGH IT WITH ME. Aw yeah I'm smart.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:45:36 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Offline lyfeternl

I predict a single between now and 9/24...
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

I predict a single between now and 9/24...

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Petruccinator12

I predict that there won't be anything...not a snippet, not a single, probably not even an album at all -.-

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

I really don't know if you can count on ADTOE's schedule.
DT12's schedule seems to be kind of unique :)
I don't know if this album is taking longer because of the writing/preproduction/postproduction process, or if it just feels like it's longer because of it being new. This seems like a lot longer wait than is typical.

I'm sure it's not, but it feels that way.... Waiting sucks!

There needs to be a watch emoticon and a bored emoticon? Do these exist already?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
All this talk about a single reminds me of the days, long ago, when singles weren't necessarily, if at ALL, on a band's albums. The Beatles are just one example of a band I can cite where they released singles that weren't on the next album. Can you imagine a band doing that now? "Oh man, new Dream Theater single, the album's gonna be amazing!" "What do you mean, the single isn't on the album?!"

You guys would explode.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
There needs to be a watch emoticon and a bored emoticon? Do these exist already?

This emoticon is used to express lounging out of boredom, such as on a couch:

:zydarscouch:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

For bored I have this one: :yawn:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
All this talk about a single reminds me of the days, long ago, when singles weren't necessarily, if at ALL, on a band's albums. The Beatles are just one example of a band I can cite where they released singles that weren't on the next album. Can you imagine a band doing that now? "Oh man, new Dream Theater single, the album's gonna be amazing!" "What do you mean, the single isn't on the album?!"

You guys would explode.  :biggrin:

Haha the single is the Easter Egg only available on the deluxe edition..

The way they're marketing this is just great. People are getting hurt on no news, still the album is being discussed,  or mentioned. I'm interested in JP's quote saying he wants this album to be digested fresh with no influence other than your ears, or something like that can't dig at the moment.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Still very surprised we haven't heard anything...

I guess the single will come same time as the pre-order announcement.