Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915452 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

I tend to round up. I always considered TCOT to be a 20 minute epic. Of course, by rounding up, I've always considered ACOS and 8VM to be 25 minute epics, which is a step above the 20 minute epic. But nevertheless, if it's just under 20 minutes, I'll still consider it a 20 minute epic. And if it's over 22 minutes, I'll consider it a 25 minute epic.

The way I round up, I consider Wait for Sleep to be a 45-minute song.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I agree it's hard to believe that the entire FAS is 2 minutes. I could see maybe all three parts being 2 minutes each, but not the whole thing being 2 minutes. That's ridiculous. :lol

And another thing. I know that some of the foreign press has gotten the cd early and reviewed it. That's fine, as the label has ok'd it, but I find it hard to believe that the label would allow the foreign press to publish something about the record that's official, i.e. the track times. I mean, I suppose they could have, but something tells me those times are just guesses.

If I'm wrong, I'm cool with that. I'll just be underwhelmed by FAS.  :sadpanda:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Petruccinator12

Wait, wait, wait, guys...how credible is the forum? Where exactly did you find this? I mean, which forum?
I calculated...the total running time for the album is "only" 68 minutes :(
Do you think these are the true lengths?? :/

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Does it really matter? I'm baffled at how anybody might be disappointed an album is ONLY 68 minutes long...  :|
If it is 68 minutes long, that's 68 minutes of new Dream Theater, MORE than an hour long, in the end, whether it's 68 minutes or 78 minutes, is it worth being upset about, especially if the songs don't need to be super long?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Not this again.  :facepalm:
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Not this again.  :facepalm:
Seriously, this so damned much.

Offline Petruccinator12

Does it really matter? I'm baffled at how anybody might be disappointed an album is ONLY 68 minutes long...  :|
If it is 68 minutes long, that's 68 minutes of new Dream Theater, MORE than an hour long, in the end, whether it's 68 minutes or 78 minutes, is it worth being upset about, especially if the songs don't need to be super long?

Well, even 10 minutes more that could be "missing"...I'd go for 78 minutes instead of 68 minutes...you can stop listening after 68 minutes but I wouldn't..anyway, we don't know if these figures are correct...I remember that shortly before the real lengths of ADTOE were released, someone stated BTS to be a 20 minute epic..so we don't know yet

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
70 minutes is A LOT of music. Seriously some of my favorite records this year have been around 40 minutes or less in length. and that's all I'll ever say on that...

Offline Petruccinator12

I really never meant to offend anyone...these were just my thoughts..I'd just love to listen to as much music as possible..that's all..

Offline RaiseTheKnife

The only advance copy of a DT album I got was SC, which given to me a month or so before the release by a former colleague who knew I was a DT fanatic.  I didnt ask for the advance CD, this person just handed to me one day.  I now prefer to just wait for the official release with the artwork and full presentation. 

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I really never meant to offend anyone...these were just my thoughts..I'd just love to listen to as much music as possible..that's all..
I would encourage you to consider the quality vs. quantity thing. Is a longer album likely to have consistently higher quality material? I'd say the two are negatively correlated most of the time. The first exception that comes to mind for me is SDOIT: fantastic from start to finish imo. Something like Systematic chaos? It approaches the 80 min mark, and yet I am of the opinion that is one of their weaker albums....

Offline Petruccinator12

I would encourage you to consider the quality vs. quantity thing. Is a longer album likely to have consistently higher quality material? I'd say the two are negatively correlated most of the time. The first exception that comes to mind for me is SDOIT: fantastic from start to finish imo. Something like Systematic chaos? It approaches the 80 min mark, and yet I am of the opinion that is one of their weaker albums....

Maybe you are right...buy maybe it's just coincidence... ;)

Offline Petruccinator12

Edit: And I can't yet consider a quality - quantity aspect.. =)

Offline Petruccinator12

Edit 2: But who knows if these figures are legit...? I personally think to would fit pretty good in terms of what we've heard so far..

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I won't believe any track lengths unless they are on some webshop site or from an official source. That said, I don't think it's impossible that those might be the actual track lengths - JP said False Awakening Suite will be a kind of intro for their shows, so it can't be too long despite being a "suite" and if multiple people with advance copies confirm that the album is approximately 70 minutes long, then those track lengths may be taken seriously.

Offline robwebster

Wasn't FAS supposed to be the live intro song?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot the song has different parts.
Doesn't mean they're long.

Under three minutes is perfectly plausible for False Awakening Suite. Honestly, I can't imagine it being much longer than that. I think people got rather too hung up on the idea it might be an epic from the subtitles. This was always a fairly false assumption, and didn't particularly tie in with what was on the song board. Pure Reason Revolution have a subtitled song where one of the movements is 55 seconds. And, sits as its own track!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Those track lenght are feasible, but it's nothing that couldn't have been made up by a well informed fan. So, for now, I will regard them as not true.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
^ this is what I was getting at  :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline erciccio

Well, reading some interviews looks like FAS is a sort of substitute to "Dream is Collapsing" as concert intro...
"Dream is collapsing" is 2:25, so....

I was also thinking that one of the reasons for the DVD delay might be that they wanted to replace "Dream is Collapsing " with FAS, given that they had to drop "Dream is Collapsing" for copyright reasons...

Might also be that some DT fan-joker had my same idea and created a fake track lengths list based on this.! :biggrin:
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline aprilethereal

Not sure what you're getting at here, since SDOIT is about 96 minutes long.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

you're not sure of the idea that i think SDOIT is an exception to the quality/quantity tradoff in that its brilliant and incredibly long or....?
edit: i will say that while SDOIT is my favorite DT release, I still feel it drags in some spots.

Offline aprilethereal

Alright, that was a misunderstanding.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

you're not sure of the idea that i think SDOIT is an exception to the quality/quantity tradoff in that its brilliant and incredibly long or....?
edit: i will say that while SDOIT is my favorite DT release, I still feel it drags in some spots.
Not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious which parts do you think drag? I think most of the parts that drag are on the first CD. Specifically, Misunderstood and Disappear, and those are still good songs.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
^ yeah particularly Misunderstood and Disappear but even some of the instrumental stuff in the Glass prison just doesn't do anything for me on a musical level (particularly towards the end). Also the Overture drags for me a bit, and I know it has it's purpose and it fulfills that purpose well, but it doesn't serve itself well on multiple listens.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
I think FAS is longer than 2:42, but they don`t need to use all the suite as an intro for the shows, but only one of the movements.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Have they said that the whole FAS is a intro song? Maybe it's just Sleep Paralysis that's the intro and the others are regular tracks?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Have they said that the whole FAS is a intro song? Maybe it's just Sleep Paralysis that's the intro and the others are regular tracks?

That's what I pretty much assumed from their statement. Not regular 'tracks', since numerically the whole thing is one track, but yeah, I assumed that when they said they were making an 'intro' to their live shows, they were talking about just the first part of the whole suite.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlackwaterPerk

I strongly believe that is the case, actually. Kinda like the Overture to SDOIT.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
gee i sure can't wait for this album  :corn
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:06:15 AM by atmyne »

Offline matte.braso

from the 5/8 forum:

"Dear Noxon I kindly asking you if you can, to confirm the following song lengths...

1. False Awakening Suite – 2:42
2. The Enemy Inside – 6:17
ecc."

noxon: "Without looking at my copy, it looks very correct."

Also he said the review will be ready within 2-3 days. can't wait to read it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know who this Noxon is, why does he have an advance copy?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

Some boss of the Norwegian Fan Club, I believe.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Some boss of the Norwegian Fan Club, I believe.

Okay, thanks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aprilethereal

Maybe I should remove this.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:26:49 AM by aprilethereal »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Again, I don't think this stuff is supposed to be posted at this moment in time.