Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915433 times)

Offline hacko

Amongst the tracklist, the only one that I feel could be "The Clover" (the instrumental) is Behind The Veil.
Tracks 1 and 9 are out (1 is YARRG, 9 seems like the epic). The looking glass has lyrics, so does the enemy within and along for the ride (from the videos).
The bigger picture & surrender to reason seem very literal song titles straight out of a chorus, and DT instrumentals tend to have more abstract names(IMO).
That leaves enigma machine and behind the veil.
Now, while I don't think they'd write a song about the actual Enigma Machine, clovers are associated with irish folklore, and that's somewhat akin to Behind The Veil.

//speculate off.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
so... anyone got their CSI goggles on? anything else we can decipher from this?  :lol
Only other thing I could notice is that Mangini has been an absolute loose canon on the drums:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
What is there to gain by spacing them out so much ?

Building anticipation, basic marketing. Increasing the frequency of little nuggets as the release gets closer to add to the hype. Nothing new, nothing special.

Greetings...
Nef

Yes I get all that - I simply meant - that they've obviously got the vids all ready to go and the gap between them doesn't seem to be regular or logical.

If they had four parts and released Part 1 on June 6th - you'd THINK that part 2 would be July 6th and so on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
so... anyone got their CSI goggles on? anything else we can decipher from this?  :lol
Only other thing I could notice is that Mangini has been an absolute loose canon on the drums:

Maybe he had a loose cannon drum and it fell on his face.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
As we see, song 7 is an epic.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

Haha put a blonde wig on him and he'll be Garth from Waynes World.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

Sing something?  :lol

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_uPX6KwAWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZePWU21bZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTPg6xpZkG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNVfsvUFg2w

Here's four different official channels the video is on. Anyone care to find any differences like that one screen on the last one?  :lol

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
Anyone notice that Along for the Ride's lyrics were the only lyrics already checked off in the video, and that Along for the Ride is the only song that kept its working title? This makes me think that it's a vocal-centric song with music written around the lyrics, perhaps a demo written in the style of Wither and Beneath the Surface.

Offline eosforum

Here's four different official channels the video is on. Anyone care to find any differences like that one screen on the last one?  :lol

The last one isn't available in Germany. What's the difference in there?

Offline matte.braso

Can't wait to see all the speculation about a chart that says "Metrop Setup 2"

'E Metrop setup 2'....Metropolis pt1 is in E minor :omg:

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!

Nope.  All exactly the same.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?

Not getting too excited about this, we already have the tracklist.....unless there is an easter egg....wait  :omg:
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

I don't even see that. What's the timestamp?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
Another nugget: There's a new song on the progress chart! There's an 11th song below easter egg, with a similarly impressive number of boxes marked with red X's. Most interestingly, it has the "lyrics" box checked, and the "Lead Vocals" box with an X. Can't make out the name, but maybe someone can CSI it.

I'd say the most likely explanation is that easter egg and this new piece are movements of the False Awakenings Suite or Illumination theory.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:02:32 PM by JoeG »

Offline matte.braso

well, now we know The looking glass was Smoothen...I really felt it was Reap the Harvest...

so we have:

False awakening              YARGGG
Enemy Inside                   Bad Larry (?)
The Looking Glass            Smoothen
Enigma Machine               The Clover (?)
Bigger Picture                   Vinegar seed (??)
Behind the Veil                  Dolphin safe (??)
Surrender to reason          Reap the harvest (??)
Along for the ride              "
IT                                     Epic

Offline SaterUM

Here is the Progress Chart of the album, i took the picture when the video was in private, anyways the video is public now so here it is.
i Think that the "x" means that a song dont will have a specific instrument or voice, "The Clover" have an X on Lyrics, so The Clover it's the instrumental.

Offline matte.braso

I don't even see that. What's the timestamp?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
1:54-

Some chords for The Looking Glass, atleast I think so:

G6       F(#?)    E      C6 or 7
G         B          E?     C6 or 7
G         D         E        C6
G         C?       E        D           C6 or 7
G         D         E        D or C

I don't have an instrument at the moment so I can't check how it sounds.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline 425

I just want to say that I love it whenever James talks about the lengths he to which he goes to figure out the emotional meaning of the song (he also talks about it in Chaos In Progress). Singing with the correct emotion for the song is something that he's always done so well, better than most singers IMO.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Although i'm not sure why he would see what the song means to him personally and then ask Petrucci anyway.

Petrucci's interpretation might clash entirely with whatever James gets out of it ?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Although i'm not sure why he would see what the song means to him personally and then ask Petrucci anyway.

Petrucci's interpretation might clash entirely with whatever James gets out of it ?

Makes sense to me.  It's good he's getting to know the song on a personal level, but at the end of the day he's singing lyrics he didn't write, so Petrucci should let him know if he's off base.

Offline 425

Maybe it's more like he asks Petrucci about sections that are ambiguous to him or where he can't quite capture the appropriate emotion? I don't know, but it's not like Petrucci's lyrics these days are all too open to interpretation, so I don't think there's much of a chance that James would get something entirely different out of a set of lyrics than John put into it.

It's like that part of Chaos In Progress where James is recording the last line of ITPOE and he stops to ask John to talk him through the emotions involved in that part. That line isn't all too unclear, I mean, "My soul is my own now, I do not fight for you you fucking dick Dark Master" isn't exactly open to interpretation. But he still consulted John so he could get a better handle on the appropriate emotion.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline lithium112

I'm intrigued by the Guests column on the chart (second from the right). It contains at least two X's, but does that mean that the other songs will feature guest performances?

Offline 425

I would assume that the "guests" are the orchestra. And if all but two of the songs featured orchestra... :thatshakingemoticonidontknowhowtodo:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I would assume that the "guests" are the orchestra. And if all but two of the songs featured orchestra... :thatshakingemoticonidontknowhowtodo:

:caffeine:

Offline 425

Yep, that's the one I mean.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline matte.braso

Another nugget: There's a new song on the progress chart! There's an 11th song below easter egg, with a similarly impressive number of boxes marked with red X's. Most interestingly, it has the "lyrics" box checked, and the "Lead Vocals" box with an X. Can't make out the name, but maybe someone can CSI it.

I'd say the most likely explanation is that easter egg and this new piece are movements of the False Awakenings Suite and Illumination theory.

it seems there are two more songs: 11th The .......ing S.... with lyrics, Piano and Synth, 12th SBT with blank boxes. dunno if they are integrated in other songs, probably IT 'cause FAS most likely hasn't got lyrics...my head is about to explode after these deductions ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Anyone notice that Along for the Ride's lyrics were the only lyrics already checked off in the video, and that Along for the Ride is the only song that kept its working title? This makes me think that it's a vocal-centric song with music written around the lyrics, perhaps a demo written in the style of Wither and Beneath the Surface.
If that's true, it would be a first.  DT has always written music first, then lyrics.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

Transcribing the visible lyrics on Petrucci's notepad at 1:12. We obviously don't know that these are final but I figured I'd transcribe them anyway:

-The... ...attention
-A go...
-A shor...
-Elusive
-Fame is a prerequisite to success
-An illusion of success
*Fifteen minutes
-The dark side of fame
-You had to have a special gift
-Walked on the...
-Earned our...
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline matte.braso

If that's true, it would be a first.  DT has always written music first, then lyrics.

Actually, they wrote the music before the lyrics, as seen in the progress chart showed in Studio ep.1 then removed.

https://i.imgur.com/7vovfNq.jpg

Offline emtee

I predict plenty of speculation on those lyrics...

Offline dodido253

Offline dparrott

I don't understand how Youtube hasn't been sued into oblivion. Thousands of full albums and songs are available illegally every
single day. Boggles the mind.
I'm sure there's something written in Youtube's EULA that states that Youtube is not responsible for whatever is posted there.
But don't quote me on that, this is simply something that seems logical, seeing as anyone can pretty much post whatever they want on Youtube.

The feds don't care who is responsible, only who the "vehicle" is.  Ask the many file sharing websites they have taken down.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

I love the way James says "Sing something?" like it's one of the most outrageous requests ever.  :lol

Yea me too!  :lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.