Author Topic: IndyCar Wacky Cruise of Placid Procrastination - Back to Biz(arro)ness.  (Read 71846 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: IndyCar Wacky Races of Madness Roulette - Fruits of the Loop
« Reply #2065 on: February 26, 2024, 04:12:34 PM »
I'm I'm little annoyed at myself.  Not that I could have done anything about it but while lyrically my songs fits the bill and yes you are right about the theme in relation to the music when looking at the song in isolation.  Look at the song in context of the whole album, then there's reprises aplenty.  Bah!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2066 on: February 26, 2024, 04:15:55 PM »
OK... No female orcs... Noted.

Courtney has some amazing all clean songs too, Secret Garden is especially delightful.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2067 on: February 26, 2024, 04:19:16 PM »
Ah FFS now I'm trying to overtake Puppies with Moon Safari, I'm probably screwed. :lol
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:28:10 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ΏDe quι sirviσ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2068 on: February 26, 2024, 04:31:38 PM »
Hell yeah, from #1 to middle of the ranks (so far) :metal. Yeah I really did struggle with the theme here, ngl, but I already got stuff that fits the rest better.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliςujoΰupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2069 on: February 26, 2024, 04:51:23 PM »
that's promising  :corn
excited to get overtaken by one of the few people who can top a 6. i don't remember how many overtake points jazzo has  :lol
edit: i checked and yeah wow tac and evermind both definitely tried to overtake 1st too, welp :lol this is a goofy roulette
i think i should've waited a lot longer to send in my overtake but w/e i'm not really strategizing here just here to send good music

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2070 on: February 26, 2024, 04:56:52 PM »
PART TWO:

IX – TAC p3 vs Luke p2: No Overtake (best singer breaks tie. Yes, CLAUDIO!)

Reliqa – EOD: 5.
Raw Score: 2. Another hard to digest dish of djent, but compensated by really interesting progression turns and pretty good – if not arousing – vocals. Firts half would be a 1, second half a 3.
Theme Score: 3. The tune just switches from petrol to hybrid. Had the switch been from turbocharged petrol to grandad hybrid, it would have been a 4.

Coheed and Cambria – Window of the Waking Mind: 5.
Raw Score: 3. I had bad experiences with C&C and I patiently waited for the other shoe to drop off this one. Nada: I really like it and Claudio even managed to be pretty pleasant all the way.
Theme Score: 2. Now, I am sure this must be some kind of momentous turning point in the whole story's economy, but it doesn't feel so powerful in a de-contextualised status.

X – ariich p17 vs Puppies p12: Successful Overtake.

Toehider – Toad Hirer: 8
Raw Score: 5 (elevated 4). Let's put it this way: whoever can successfully transition from Sails of Charon's verse to Mr Mistoffeles' chorus is a bona fide genius and has read my personal secret diary of forbidden utopias. 
Theme Score: 3. Extremely conflicted, and brilliantly, but still articulated in a coherent evolution somehow depowering the strife. The final twist is a hoot though.

Moon Safari – Between the Devil and me: 6
Raw Score: 5 (elevated 4). As if I called a sophisticated rock custom shop and ordered my ideal cocktail of updated Toto, Styx, and three piece Genesis, mixed and produced this millennium.
Theme Score: 1. It never focking turns on itself in any way, shape, or form.

New Marching Order:

1 – Crow
2 – Luke
3 – TAC
4 – Stadler
5 – Evermind
6 – Jazzo
7 – wolfking
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – Sacul
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – romdrums
14 – lonestar
15 - Buddy
16 – King
17 – Puppies

XI – Stadler p4 vs TAC p3: Successful Overtake.

Jethro Tull – Watching Me Watching You: 6.
Raw Score: 2. Impishly jumpy and anxious, still not my best Tull. Fun fact: I had my first wife (Academy of Arts graduate) airbrush a garage wall with this album's cover replica. That's worthy both 1000 plus and 1000 minus points. 
Theme Score: 4. Lyrically beyond perfect. It doesn't only loop, but it Eschers itself ad infinitum.

Raw Score: 2. Another hard to digest dish of djent, but compensated by really interesting progression turns and pretty good – if not arousing – vocals. Firts half would be a 1, second half a 3.
Theme Score: 3. The tune just switches from petrol to hybrid. Had the switch been from turbocharged petrol to grandad hybrid, it would have been a 4.

New Marching Order:

1 – Crow
2 – Luke
3 – Stadler
4 – TAC

5 – Evermind
6 – Jazzo
7 – wolfking
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – Sacul
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – romdrums
14 – lonestar
15 - Buddy
16 – King
17 – Puppies

XII – romdrums p13 vs Sacul p10: Successful Overtake.

Disillusion – Nine Days: 5.
Raw Score: 1. I am sure I would love almost everything on this tune's sheet music, while the diabolical way everything is actually combined in the final aural result is almost unlistenable due to its intensity, and I believe it's by design.
Theme Score: 4. Inner conflict may be too reductive a term; inner quiet deflagration comes to mind and still feels inadequate.

Arco Iris – Obertura: 4
Raw Score: 3. There's enough King Crimson in this jam to make it absolutely enjoyable to these ears, and I'm sure it would increase its beauty - as it often happens – in its right context of overture piece. On its own it can't go orgasmic.
Theme Score: 1. And it pains me, because I enjoyed spotting the very clever justapoxition of 7 different moods related to the iris' 7 colours, but unfortunately that was not the theme.

New Marching Order:

1 – Crow
2 – Luke
3 – Stadler
4 – TAC
5 – Evermind
6 – Jazzo
7 – wolfking
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – romdrums
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – Sacul
14 – lonestar
15 - Buddy
16 – King
17 – Puppies

XIII – King p16 vs lonestar p14: Successful Overtake.

Southern Empire – Face the Dawn: 6.
Raw Score: 3. Joyful, melodic, surprising. Three words I would never associate to (and still my most fervent prayer for) this genre in this day and age, but here we are. A sure 4 if a bit less diluted.
Theme Score: 3. Let's just say at the mid point I thought Spotify switched to a Dregs playlist.

Spiritbox – Sun Killer: 5
Raw Score: 2. Although a bit too djenty for my palate, gorgeous voice and vocal lines. Although they somehow manage to make me wierdly horny, female orcs are not only horrid per orc-se, but also an insult to feminine grace.
Theme Score: 3. It really turns on itself, and on myself as well.

New Marching Order:

1 – Crow
2 – Luke
3 – Stadler
4 – TAC
5 – Evermind
6 – Jazzo
7 – wolfking
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – romdrums
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – Sacul
14 – King
15 - Buddy
16 – lonestar
17 – Puppies

XIV – Jazzo p6 vs Crow p1: Successful Overtake.

Brad Paisley – Time Warp: 7
Raw Score: 3. Paisley's gifts are self evident, yet I need to add there must be a reserved place in some heaven for axemen sounding so powerful and assertive whilst eschewing the easy crutch of high gain.
Theme Score: 4. Listen to it and take note of the sections: it does a perfectly symmetrical (and smooth) loop.

Hakushi Hasegawa – Only You: 6.
Raw Score: 3. I believed only Yoko Kanno was able to effectively marry grace and chaos, masquerading complexity with a Mozartian faux semplicity. I wasn't wrong, but this artist came dangerously close to the mark.
Theme Score: 3. It doesn't loop overall, but every measure is a little funny loop in itself, and it even manages to literally crash falling down in the middle of the loop.

New Marching Order:

1 – Jazzo
2 – Luke
3 – Stadler
4 – TAC
5 – Evermind
6 – Crow
7 – wolfking
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – romdrums
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – Sacul
14 – King
15 - Buddy
16 – lonestar
17 – Puppies

XV – Elite p11 vs Lonk p8: No Overtake.

Ulver – This Is Not Sound: 5
Raw Score: 1. I will never know whether I am too lowbrow a listener or this is simply a crock of pretentious noises, but I do know I hadn't a good time with this tune. I believe you could actually die if listening to this while on drugs.
Theme Score: 4. Simply put, when you go from hideous post-modern racket to focking Johann Sebastian Bach, you have definitley turned.

Volbeat – Becoming: 6.
Raw Score: 5 (elevated 4). Right metal in right doses, riffing with hair on its chest, an energising earworm of a chorus sounding epic and honest despite nodding to Europe, Avenged Sevenfold, and … yes, Lady Gaga. What's not to like?
Theme Score: 1. It refuses to turn.

XVI – wolfking p7 vs TAC p4: Successful Overtake (best singer breaks tie).

WASP – The Great Misconceptions of Me: 5.
Raw Score: 3 (demoted 4). When not playing poor man's Alice but daring to slam his balls on the table, Blackie is capable of some of the most astounding and intense emotional singing among his era's peers.
Theme Score: 2. Musically, nada. Lyrically, I'd say we're hearing a man quite torn by inner conflict.

New Marching Order:

1 – Jazzo
2 – Luke
3 – Stadler
4 – wolfking
5 – Evermind
6 – Crow
7 – TAC
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – romdrums
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – Sacul
14 – King
15 - Buddy
16 – lonestar
17 – Puppies

That's it. I really feel for the people who got royally screwed over.

You all can send your submissions and insults for Round 4. Just remember the theme: a song that make me feel dirty. Or dirtier than usual, that is.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2071 on: February 26, 2024, 05:00:19 PM »
Wtf Joe... I thought we were friends...  :sadpanda:

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2072 on: February 26, 2024, 05:03:01 PM »
Wow, how the fuck did I manage to hold on?! Luckily Claudio's vocals won a tie breaker, who had that on their Indy500 Bingo Card?

Now for something down and dirty.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2073 on: February 26, 2024, 05:03:59 PM »
Also, time to embrace the freedom of being at the bottom... Sending something seriously out of character  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2074 on: February 26, 2024, 05:09:47 PM »
yeah that's a lil annoying that it's a swap rather than just, like, an overtake but ehh :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2075 on: February 26, 2024, 05:13:51 PM »
Aaaaaand sent...our host is going to need a shower and a confessional after my track... :eyebrows:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2076 on: February 26, 2024, 05:24:17 PM »

Took a chance. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2077 on: February 26, 2024, 05:29:44 PM »

Took a chance. Lol

Emotional damage man.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2078 on: February 26, 2024, 05:32:11 PM »
Bounced around like a bimbo..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: February 26, 2024, 05:34:28 PM »

Took a chance. Lol

I only had 3 points so my range was small. I had to take you because it was 3 moves and I was second to last
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2080 on: February 26, 2024, 05:46:19 PM »

Took a chance. Lol

I only had 3 points so my range was small. I had to take you because it was 3 moves and I was second to last

*gives Joe silent treatment*

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2081 on: February 26, 2024, 05:47:58 PM »
alright, i feel like this next round is gonna be chaos so i've got my bad idea in, now to watch things unfold :corn

also, i will grace y'all with a song that i would never in a million years send to indi but has been making me feel dirty as of late, if you want a sample of where my music headspace has been post-my own roulette last year (and why i will probably never run another roulette here again, good lord :lol)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 05:54:29 PM by Crow »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: February 26, 2024, 05:58:37 PM »

Took a chance. Lol

*gives Joe silent treatment*

:lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ΏDe quι sirviσ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2083 on: February 26, 2024, 06:54:18 PM »
alright, i feel like this next round is gonna be chaos so i've got my bad idea in, now to watch things unfold :corn

also, i will grace y'all with a song that i would never in a million years send to indi but has been making me feel dirty as of late, if you want a sample of where my music headspace has been post-my own roulette last year (and why i will probably never run another roulette here again, good lord :lol )
That's a weird-ass album, but great band. You've just gonna invite only us weirdos for your next roulette :neverusethis:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2084 on: February 26, 2024, 07:25:55 PM »
What happened........ :millahhhh
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: February 26, 2024, 08:52:39 PM »
That's the second time I screwed Lucas up, only this time I didn't even target him, I targeted Tim :lol

I'll send today, not sure if after work or some time during the work day.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2086 on: February 26, 2024, 09:01:48 PM »

Brad Paisley – Time Warp: 7
Raw Score: 3. Paisley's gifts are self evident, yet I need to add there must be a reserved place in some heaven for axemen sounding so powerful and assertive whilst eschewing the easy crutch of high gain.
Theme Score: 4. Listen to it and take note of the sections: it does a perfectly symmetrical (and smooth) loop.

You might potentially enjoy the studio version even more than the live one then, since the tone is a bit cleaner.  The more rock flavor of the live version felt safer though, plus the extended drum solo is just too much fun. 

And this was indirect rather than direct like intended, but BTW Luke,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2087 on: February 26, 2024, 09:03:57 PM »
That's a weird-ass album, but great band. You've just gonna invite only us weirdos for your next roulette :neverusethis:
was really disappointed that somewhere in the ballpark of 35-40 minutes of this 96 minute album was taken up by underwhelming ambient when they have the potential to make stuff like this (and there's other tunes on the album nearly as cool, too, so...)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2088 on: February 26, 2024, 10:08:37 PM »
At least I got a good theme score though :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2089 on: February 27, 2024, 12:38:56 AM »
Nice! :metal

His full length albums are all great. As I said in my accompanying PM, his EPs are rather less consistent, but the good ones (like this) are among his best stuff.

I'm coming for you, Luke!

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2090 on: February 27, 2024, 01:27:42 AM »
And this was indirect rather than direct like intended, but BTW Luke,

To be honest, those apples taste pretty good. In another Turning of The Wheel I could've easily ended this round in 6th.

His full length albums are all great. As I said in my accompanying PM, his EPs are rather less consistent, but the good ones (like this) are among his best stuff.

I'm not even in first! That new Toehider song really is great, but I hasn't even considered it for this roulette.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2091 on: February 27, 2024, 03:34:49 AM »

I'm not even in first!
:lol It's nothing personal, you're just the number of spots ahead of me that matches the overtake points I'll have for this round.

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: February 27, 2024, 03:39:40 AM »
Nice, sorry Tim but Blackie FTW!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: February 27, 2024, 03:41:03 AM »

I'm not even in first!
:lol It's nothing personal, you're just the number of spots ahead of me that matches the overtake points I'll have for this round.

Yep.  I didn't even know who I was targeting, just told Ale I was using the whole 3 points!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2094 on: February 27, 2024, 03:46:21 AM »
I'm far more satisfied sending perfect quality song, and a dud on the theme (clearly I misunderstood the intent of the theme, as I thought there was sufficient variation in my submission that it 'turned' to some degree).  C'est la vie.

Pretty sure I know what I'm submitting this round.  Will have a listen around for a bit today, and send later tonight.

Nice, sorry Tim but Blackie FTW!

25-years ago Blackie FTW.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2095 on: February 27, 2024, 04:09:41 AM »

I'm not even in first!

You've got 9 overtake points though haven't you?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2096 on: February 27, 2024, 05:41:10 AM »
10 I think.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: IndyCar Wacky Races of Madness Roulette - Orientation
« Reply #2097 on: February 27, 2024, 05:48:50 AM »

After Round 3:

Marching Order:

1 – Jazzo
2 – Luke
3 – Stadler
4 – wolfking
5 – Evermind
6 – Crow
7 – TAC
8 – Lonk
9 – jingle
10 – romdrums
11 – Elite
12 – ariich
13 – Sacul
14 – King
15 - Buddy
16 – lonestar
17 – Puppies

Overtake Points:

10 ariich
6 Evermind
5 Luke
4 romdrums, TAC
3 Buddy, Crow, Elite, King, Jazzo, jingle, lonestar, Lonk, Puppies, Sacul, Stadler, wolfking

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2098 on: February 27, 2024, 05:50:47 AM »
Thanks Ale.

My best every bizarro.

Now to ruin it by sending something terrible.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2099 on: February 27, 2024, 05:57:47 AM »
God damn it!

So, just so I'm straight, I have 5 overtake points, but I can only use 1, as I'm in 2nd?

So if by a cruel twist of fate Ariich gets his overtake shot before mine (and overtakes) then I would be in 12th position but only be able to aim for 11th position on my overtake opportunity?

So my best case scenario would be for me to hope I get my overtake shot in first, and move outta 2nd. Or if I am gonna get overtaken, hope it's by someone other than Ariich so I don't fall as far.