Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 460678 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4550 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
When does Leia know that Vader is her Dad ?

Online Skeever

« Reply #4551 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
Got a chance to see Rogue One over the weekend. I liked it, but didn't love it.

I'll start with the positive. The set pieces were gorgeous. The long action scene at the end was great. The cameos were cool. The way the film "expanded" the Star Wars universe as Bosk hit on above is true as well, and I really appreciate that. And yes, for the most part, the generation direction of the narrative was really interesting. We saw a different side of the rebellion, for sure.

I did think it suffered some of the writing issues of the other prequels, though, in the sense that, while the "big picture" was interesting, the way the plot moved from Point A to Point B sometimes left a little bit to be desired. The characters weren't fully developed. There were some illogical or otherwise circumstantial plot points that bothered me. For one, it makes the rebellion getting the Death Star plans look like an accident, or good luck, rather than a focused effort. This was a little bit disappointing. Also, I did think the movie was just plain slow. Until Vader's cameo, I was actually struggling to keep my eyes open. Maybe this is partly to blame because I'd read the Catalyst lead-in book, so I had already been made familiar with some of the film's early revelations (like the Death Star being powered by Jedi crystals).

But all in all, it's hard to be too disappointed. Rogue One is definitively outside the original trilogy and The Force Awakens for me, but I still enjoyed it more than any of the prequel films, which were better only in scope.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4552 on: January 03, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
I didn't like the droids popping up there for 2 seconds "because Star Wars". But it could have been so much worse. Imagine if they'd tried to shove in CGI han solo in some quick scene

or Boba Fett shows up for some reason or you see young CGI Lando just hanging out on some planet.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4553 on: January 03, 2017, 02:11:48 PM »

About halfway through Return of the Jedi. Luke tells her while they're chillin' out at the Ewoks' before he goes to confront Vader.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4554 on: January 03, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »

About halfway through Return of the Jedi. Luke tells her while they're chillin' out at the Ewoks' before he goes to confront Vader.

Oh - is that when she goes like " somehow i've always known " - the little speech that was in the first TFA teaser ?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4555 on: January 03, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »

Oh - is that when she goes like " somehow i've always known " - the little speech that was in the first TFA teaser ?

Yup

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #4556 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:38 AM »
Personally I was ecstatic to see R2 and C3PO in their brief cameo, because Anthony Daniels is the only actor to be in EVERY single Star Wars film; originals, prequels, TFA and now RO.  To me that is just cool to have that kind of continuity in a series that has lasted as long as Star Wars, and while the scene felt a little forced, there is a perfectly logical reason for the droids to be present with the rebellion, so why not?

Online Polarbear

« Reply #4557 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:01 AM »
Going to see R1 again tomorrow!

My rating of it, is currently at 7/10. Hopefully that will increase with the second viewing!

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4558 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
Personally I was ecstatic to see R2 and C3PO in their brief cameo, because Anthony Daniels is the only actor to be in EVERY single Star Wars film; originals, prequels, TFA and now RO.  To me that is just cool to have that kind of continuity in a series that has lasted as long as Star Wars, and while the scene felt a little forced, there is a perfectly logical reason for the droids to be present with the rebellion, so why not?

Not only with the rebellion, but on that specific location at that specific time, about to set out on that specific mission. Of course they were going to show them there and didn't mind it at all either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4559 on: January 04, 2017, 05:44:26 AM »
$800m in just under 3 weeks. Wasn't expecting that. After the $290m opening weekend - I thought it would make around $200m the next weekend and about $150m the next week as everyone would

go and see it all at once. Opens in China this Friday. Force Awakens made about $150m there so Rogue one will probably make it to $1bn. Still less than half of what The Force Awakens made.

Will Episode 8 make more than Rogue One or will they gradually make less and less from here on out ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4560 on: January 04, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »
Rogue One was a side movie, it was never going to make as much as the main series movies with the characters people are already invested in, but it's done very well considering. It will probably manage to cross $1b, which is still very impressive.
I think Christmas and the New Year has slowed down people a bit from seeing it, more so than it affected TFA I think. I expect Ep VIII will make the big money again, at least 1.5b. I wouldn't bet on it topping TFA, but if it's better, who knows?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4561 on: January 04, 2017, 06:19:33 AM »
I think franchise fatigue will start to set in after Episode 8. I think Force Awakens will be the high water mark and they'll gradually take less and less.

Definitely after Episode 9 for sure as Kathleen Kennedy or someone kinda hinted that it would be the last of the Skywalker story and it would be anthology movies from then on.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4562 on: January 04, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »
Rogue One was a side movie, it was never going to make as much as the main series movies with the characters people are already invested in, but it's done very well considering. It will probably manage to cross $1b, which is still very impressive.
I think Christmas and the New Year has slowed down people a bit from seeing it, more so than it affected TFA I think. I expect Ep VIII will make the big money again, at least 1.5b. I wouldn't bet on it topping TFA, but if it's better, who knows?
There's also the fact that Ep VII deals with the unknown - it continues the story and people would have wanted to see it as soon as possible to find out what happens next and perhaps avoid spoilers. Whereas Rogue One and I imagine the majority of the anthology films will be a case of knowing broadly what happens, and so there's less need to see it as soon as it comes out, or indeed while it's in the cinema at all. As much as I liked Rogue One (overall probably about on a par with most of the Star Wars films, including Ep VII), it didn't have the same sense of adventure as VII. I knew they'd get the plans because that's how IV starts, and I had assumed the fate of the main characters. It was excellently done, particularly the scene on the beach towards the end, but it's always going to be less gripping than when you have no idea what's coming next.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4563 on: January 04, 2017, 06:28:53 AM »
I think franchise fatigue will start to set in after Episode 8. I think Force Awakens will be the high water mark and they'll gradually take less and less.

Definitely after Episode 9 for sure as Kathleen Kennedy or someone kinda hinted that it would be the last of the Skywalker story and it would be anthology movies from then on.

I don't think it will be all anthology movies after that, I think they were going to continue the main saga indefinitely, but without the focus on the Skywalkers of the PT and OT.

Franchise fatigue is a big concern when you're releasing a movie a year, but to their credit I think they're off to as good a start as realistically possible in keeping these movies special and exciting for now. Ep VIII and IX will still make a boatload of money by any standards, and the anthology movies will always be a wildcard based on the subject matter.

There's also the fact that Ep VII deals with the unknown - it continues the story and people would have wanted to see it as soon as possible to find out what happens next and perhaps avoid spoilers. Whereas Rogue One and I imagine the majority of the anthology films will be a case of knowing broadly what happens, and so there's less need to see it as soon as it comes out, or indeed while it's in the cinema at all. As much as I liked Rogue One (overall probably about on a par with most of the Star Wars films, including Ep VII), it didn't have the same sense of adventure as VII. I knew they'd get the plans because that's how IV starts, and I had assumed the fate of the main characters. It was excellently done, particularly the scene on the beach towards the end, but it's always going to be less gripping than when you have no idea what's coming next.

You're absolutely right. That's the big reason I think that TFA was largely unaffected by the time of year, because you had to see that movie right away, or else suffer the spoilers. There are surprises in Rogue One that are nice to not know in advance, but there's nothing crucial in there as a standalone movie. You know where it ends, you can guess the characters' fates to some degree, you're just there for the ride.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4564 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:01 AM »
I wonder. After episode 9 of the Anthology films will be yearly or ever 2 years.

If there's no more "episodes" then every other year would be better to avoid getting bored of them.

But Marvel has like 2 a year and they all make money so who knows.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4565 on: January 04, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
I don't think it will be all anthology movies after that, I think they were going to continue the main saga indefinitely, but without the focus on the Skywalkers of the PT and OT.
I would definitely prefer that (or even exploring other parts of the Star Wars universe, such as a long time before the PT). The anthology films I'm sure will be enjoyable like Rogue One, but I would definitely be more interested in more exploring of the unknown. Anthology films set within the timeline already on screen will run out of ideas fast.

A Marvel-style shared universe could definitely work, though it would take a lot of thinking and coordination of course.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4566 on: January 04, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »
I would definitely prefer that (or even exploring other parts of the Star Wars universe, such as a long time before the PT). The anthology films I'm sure will be enjoyable like Rogue One, but I would definitely be more interested in more exploring of the unknown. Anthology films set within the timeline already on screen will run out of ideas fast.

Also, we don't want/need to see every piece of history and character get a story. I like the idea of a continuing universe moving along with new characters and settings, whether it's Skywalkers or not. Plus it makes sense in terms of established characters and built sets.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4567 on: January 04, 2017, 06:53:11 AM »
But do SW fans want to see a SW film without ANY established characters at all ?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4568 on: January 04, 2017, 06:54:24 AM »
But do SW fans want to see a SW film without ANY established characters at all ?
Given how much SW fans like the extended universe through various media (books, video games, etc.) I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it, on the whole.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4569 on: January 04, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »
Once you've put a character in a movie, they're established for future movies. And there will always be major and minor characters to use, plus the iconic recognizable elements of ships and weapons and planets. You're never starting from scratch with Star Wars.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4570 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »
Finally got to see it.

Great film.  Exactly what I wanted.  Better than Episodes 1-3 all together.

I knew Tarkin would be recreated, and I thought they did a fairly good job with it.  I didn't know about Leia, that was a surprise, but I thought it was great that they did it, and I thought that she voiced the theme of the movie, which was mentioned other times ("Hope"), which leads thematically, as well as literally, into A New Hope.

C3PO and R2D2 were good to see, and given the circumstances of when they were seen, they didn't feel shoehorned in to me.

I thought the score was really good; not sure what some people's hangups are about it.

Also, that hallway fight scene with Vader was 10 pounds of badass in a 5 pound bag, and exactly what I wanted to see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4571 on: January 04, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
Also, that hallway fight scene with Vader was 10 pounds of badass in a 5 pound bag, and exactly what I wanted to see.

Absolutely - worth the price of admission for that alone!

I thought the score was fine too. There's only one point where I noticed it a little "off" - where they were climbing up the column to get the data tape. (Sounded like minor seconds/semitone notes - kinda weird).

Not sure what people are saying is wrong with RO's score, but I thought it was better than the score to TFA, which was pretty forgettable, IMO.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4572 on: January 04, 2017, 07:47:42 AM »

It really was awesome. So much so, as I stated earlier in the thread....I'd love to see just a 'stand alone' film of Vadar galavanting around the galaxy taking care of business for the Emperor. Maybe a stand alone film would be a bit too much....so, perhaps a short film of 'Vadars greatest hits' so to speak, just another twenty or so instances of him whooping a$$.

The only way that scene gets any better is if the majority of the 'Rogue One' crew were in that hallway and that's how they all met their death.....other than that....it had a very 'Anakin in the Clone Wars TV show' feel.....which I loved.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4573 on: January 04, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »
Also, I saw it in IMAX 3D, and that was off the hook, especially the battle scenes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4574 on: January 04, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
My wife ended up not going at the last minute.  I should go back and see it again, and take her to see it in IMAX 3D. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4575 on: January 04, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
My wife ended up not going at the last minute.  I should go back and see it again, and take her to see it in IMAX 3D.
:tup

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4576 on: January 04, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »
Also, I saw it in IMAX 3D, and that was off the hook, especially the battle scenes.

I've seen it twice. First time 'REAL' 3D....second time 'normal'. I will see it one more time in IMAX 3D and that will do if for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4577 on: January 04, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
I will say this about THAT Vader scene in Rogue One :

I'm not a fan of Vader. I find him to be Panto and really un-scary. Always have :dunno:

BUT

That scene in Rogue One was WAY BETTER than the crappy Yoda / Dooku fight in Attack of The Clones.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4578 on: January 04, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
I thought that last scene was excellent, and I agree with the people earlier who said it would've made for an epic Vader reveal instead of having him show up to do nothing earlier in the movie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4579 on: January 04, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
I thought that last scene was excellent, and I agree with the people earlier who said it would've made for an epic Vader reveal instead of having him show up to do nothing earlier in the movie.
I agree with that.  But I have no problem with how they did it.  I mean, we all know that Vader is a hugely important figure during the time these events unfold, and that he would have been active and doing stuff, so I think it is appropriate that we see him earlier, and it would have been sort of weird to not see him and just be wondering what he is up to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4580 on: January 04, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
I see how that also could have been cool, but Disney needed something for the trailer without spoiling the best bit! :lol

Also, even though we all know Vader, in terms of a standalone movie, I think it would have been weird to have such an important character only appear right at the end to kill people for a minute and that's it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4581 on: January 04, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
A lot of people can't put their finger on why the first Vader scene with Krennic felt " off ".

Some say it's because they made the outfit deliberately naff looking to tie up with ANH..

For me - i think it was the fact that we had a brand new Vader scene complete with JEJ voice for the first time in a movie since Jedi in 1983 ?

* " NoooooooooooooOOOoooooo " doesn't count :p

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4582 on: January 04, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
I think it's a bit of everything (uniform , voice etc....) but the gait is off too in that first scene.   He walks faster with hips going up/down rather than the slower, big steps with a more regal , purposeful air seen in the OT.    Very nitpicking but I think that was a big part of what made me think he seemed "off."
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4583 on: January 04, 2017, 10:21:27 AM »
I think it's a bit of everything (uniform , voice etc....) but the gait is off too in that first scene.   He walks faster with hips going up/down rather than the slower, big steps with a more regal , purposeful air seen in the OT.    Very nitpicking but I think that was a big part of what made me think he seemed "off."
Yes, absolutely that.  I remember chuckling to myself at that scene and thinking, "what's with the hip sway?  Who is that chick in the Vader suit?"  :lol  I had forgotten that until you mentioned it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4584 on: January 04, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
Did Dave Prowse get a sex change ?

( yes I know it's not him )