Poll

Which option best fits you?

Yes, I would have enjoyed the 1991-1992 Version.
No, I enjoy the 1995 reworked version a lot more.
I have not heard any version BUT the 1995 release.
I don't care either way - it's still a great song!
I don't really care for the song anyway so it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Author Topic: Would you have liked "A Change Of Seasons" if they released it on IAW?  (Read 5527 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Would you have liked "A Change Of Seasons" if they released it on IAW?
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 07:06:51 AM »
Im 50/50

i want both

;D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Would you have liked "A Change Of Seasons" if they released it on IAW?
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 05:31:28 AM »
There are a ton of versions, and apart from the fact if the song would've fit on I&W (time-wise or style-wise) I would've loved if they had released an earlier version. IMO there is a upward spiral going on with the 87 version, 89 version, and 93 version. (Although the other do have 'something', but that could well be the mystery and fun that it was recorded that early in DT's history).
The second thing why I would've preferred the 93 to be released, is the sound of the EP version. I rarely listen to that, because of the sound of it. The Crimson Sunrise intro is listenable, but when the band kicks in, it's just one distortion fest, with distorted guitars, distorted bass, distorted string patches, and if I remember correctly even a distortion over the drumkit. It's just way too much, and it continues throughout the song.

So production-wise and composition-wise I would've preferred it to be on I&W.

This. A few years ago (when I knew absolutely nothing about sonic quality), I used to grab the ACOS EP if I wanted to test out a new hi-fi system. How dumb I was, but it was mostly the opening which I thought sounded awesome. Now even that sounds.. ya know, a bit too compressed.

This is, without a doubt, the worst sounding DT song that has ever been released. IMO it's very weird that David Prater produced the excellent sounding I&W, and then ACOS?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .